Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

TOPIC: Revan's next project

Revan's next project 1 year 2 months ago #50209

• MommyHoldMe
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 238
Well that looks spiffy on you! How does it fit/feel?
You give life, You are love.You bring light to the darkness.
You give hope, You restore every heart that is broken.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Revan's next project 1 year 2 months ago #50210

• OvrcAHst
  • War. Mostly Dark, Often Grey, Sometimes Light
  • Thank you received: 1602
Darth-Revan, that actually looks pretty amazing. Do you have a photo of inside the helmet? Am curious with how it sits against your head. How generous is the padding and is there a chin strap to minimise tilt when you shift in movement? How's the visibility and the weight? There's a realistic quality to it in these recent pictures more so than the previous ones you posted. Does it get hot? I imagine with ordinary perspiration it may fog up your sight. Nice update.

Revan's next project 1 year 2 months ago #50217

• Darth-Revan
  • Platinum Member
  • Ruler of the Waiting Guild: Round N Round is the motto, Up and Down will you follow?
  • Thank you received: 123
SO. MANY. QUESTIONS!

Ok, here we go! The helmet fits perfectly, but isn't very comfortable. You'll see why below (I provided pictures heuhueheue).

You see the parts I circled in red? They are technically the walls of the inner mask. They're a bit floppy, and by that I mean that they can be moved around a lot without breaking. The problem is: They end up right where my ears sit, which makes it terribly uncomfortable. It even hurts. It feels better when I put my Balaclava on, but it remains uncomfortable. I'm definitely gonna have to fix this somehow. Maybe by adding some padding.

The helmet is not moving around on my head thanks to the padding that is already in place, and the flappy shits on my ears. Helmet is easy to put on and to remove. I just need to move the walls of the inner mask to the sides a bit while doing so. There is no chin strap, but my chin is sitting inside the respirator (I don't know if you understand what I mean), making the mask more comfortable and more stable on my head.

As for my view, well, it looks a bit like that:

I'm seeing pretty well to be honest, I'm impressed. In my Revan mask, I see close to nothing. Now I see almost 3 times more than nothing, which is nice! My breathing is not interfering with my vision since, like you can see, there are holes in the "respirator" that allows me to breathe without fogging the lense of my visor. Another plus I don't have on my Revan mask...

Mask is not too heavy. I mean it feels heavy while in hands but once it's on my head it feels alright. Trust me, no way I could forget it's there though hahaha! I don't know yet if it gets hot. I could try to wear it for a while and see if it does (That could be a good test).

As soon as I finish my current costume project I'll start working on this one. I hope I answered all your questions my friends. If you have more, feel free to ask, I'm always happy to answer :)!

EDDIT: Oh, and I can't look up hahaha! That "thing" going around my head, the outer mask if you want, is preventing me from looking up. As soon as I try to, it hits my shoulders, stopping the rest of my head in its movement. Annoying, yet funny hahaha!
"Honor is a fool's price. Honor is of no use to the dead."

- Custom SaberForge Monarch
- Vader's Vault REV-N Elite + Graflex
- Korbanth Kylo Ren
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by Darth-Revan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: For Tyeth, OvrcAHst

Revan's next project 1 year 2 months ago #50391

• OvrcAHst
Darth-ObstructedVision wrote:
EDDIT: Oh, and I can't look up hahaha! That "thing" going around my head, the outer mask if you want, is preventing me from looking up. As soon as I try to, it hits my shoulders, stopping the rest of my head in its movement. Annoying, yet funny hahaha!
Thanks for the feedback. With your own little 'Mythbusters' implementation you may have dispelled the question about visibility when wearing a helmet. You've become the epitome of poor optics. :lol: With the inability to look up, your headaches will unlikely lessen. Peripheral vision is obviously lost between the Revan mask and the Starkiller but do you have the same restrictions with Revan (since it's just on the front of your face rather than your entire head)?

Revan's next project 1 year 2 months ago #50482

• Darth-Revan
  • Platinum Member
  • Ruler of the Waiting Guild: Round N Round is the motto, Up and Down will you follow?
OvrcAHst wrote:
Peripheral vision is obviously lost between the Revan mask and the Starkiller but do you have the same restrictions with Revan (since it's just on the front of your face rather than your entire head)?

Hahahaha. You're laughing but my Revan's mask IS giving me headaches. The way it rests on the top of my head is painful. I've tried adding some foam padding but the mask starts moving around like crazy. Endure the pain vs look like an idiot. I chose to endure the pain.

I have litteraly NO peripheral vision with my Revan mask, since the visor/lens is flat (I provided pictures below). Plus, there are like two small "pannels" on the sides of the visor, which are created by the fact that the visor/lens is inside the mask. On the other side, Starkiller's visor/lense is curved and much larger, both in terms of height and lenght, giving me a better vision, peripheral vision included.

I don't see very well with my Revan mask on. I keep bumping into things/kids and I often miss to fall because I missed some obstacles. You could say it is a bit dangerous. I haven't trooped with the SK yet (Obviously I'm gonna need the full costume to do that), but I can already say many of these things won't be a problem with this helmet. The more I work on other costumes, the less I like my Revan costume. It has so much flaws and problems. I only wear it for short periods of time. And the worst part is: Everytime I remove it, something breaks. EVERYTIME. I keep repairing it but it's always the same story. I have to find better ways to have it hold together and replace many of the mechanisms doing so.

Alright, enough complaining for now. Here are the pictures I was talking about. I tried to take pictures from the inside in order to show what the vision looks like but it doesn't compare to what I see, so it wasn't helpful. I took pictures from the outside of the mask in order to show you how the lens are designed. I hope this will help you understand what I'm saying about the better peripheral vision.

- Korbanth Kylo Ren
The following user(s) said Thank You: OvrcAHst

Revan's next project 1 year 2 months ago #50487

• For Tyeth
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 810
Hi Darth-Revan,

You could use expanded foam strips and create a well for your ears to sit within which would prevent the mask wall pressing on them. This is similar to the arrangement of pads in NFL helmets. Or depending on how tight the fit is you may consider using replacement headphone earpads like these:

I can see what you mean about the two lenses within each mask, the Starkiller visor is much more wrap-around.
Anyway I don't know if you have seen this picture before but I thought it might serve as a bit of inspiration for your efforts. I found it looking for backgrounds for a presentation I've been asked to create and thought of you!

Hope this helps,

For Tyeth
The following user(s) said Thank You: Darth-Revan

Revan's next project 1 year 2 months ago #50534

• Darth-Revan
  • Platinum Member
Thanks for the advice For Tyeth. If you go up, and look at the pictures I provided, you will see that there is already some foam padding outside of the inner mask, which makes it so the inner mask doesn't touch and scratchs the outer mask. However, that fact is leaving me not much space to add padding near my ears. It would have to be something really small for me to still be able to fit my head in it. Note that the pain is eased when I wear my Balaclava. It's not perfect, but a lot better.

As for the picture you provided, it truly is awesome. However, since I want my costume to be approved by the 501st like my Revan and my Anakin, I need to follow the CRL closely. One missing detail and my request is gonna be rejected. As of now, I'll be aiming to be admitted with the level 1. I would have to buy 6 different sabers to be able to reach level two, and I'm not gonna spend that kind of money for empty hilts, especially since some of them are really expensive. Being admitted/having your costume approved can be a pain in the ass, depending on the costume. Some costumes requires you to meet more criterias. This one isn't very hard, put acquiring the pieces is gonna be tough.

- Korbanth Kylo Ren
The following user(s) said Thank You: For Tyeth

Revan's next project 1 year 2 months ago #50537

• For Tyeth
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 810
Hi Darth-Revan,

I heard that these costume groups are very picky, another member here (sorry can't remember your name, I'll look it up later) was turned down for his Obi-Wan Kenobi costume and to me it looked better than some of the costumes in the films!

Regarding the helmet again, could you possibly cut away some of the foam block between the walls of the helmet, gently bend the wall outwards then attach the piece you cut off onto the INSIDE of the wall to rest on your ears. This is what I mean on the left hand side of the helmet:

You would still have the same thickness of padding but it will sandwich the wall plate.

kind regards,

For Tyeth

Revan's next project 1 year 2 months ago #50538

• RyanRising
  • Platinum Member
  • How hard can rocket science be anyway?
  • Thank you received: 143
Reading through that "CRL" thing you linked to, I noticed that among the hilts pictured on their example belt are Saberforge's Gladius (v1), Epoch (v2), and Fury. So that's interesting.

Hope all goes well with this. I wish you good fortune on the path to whatever being accepted by these guys means.
The above post may be subject to editing. A lot of editing.

Revan's next project 1 year 2 months ago #50539

• OvrcAHst
Darth-Revan,
I don't see very well with my Revan mask on.
Mate, it seems (when Mask/Helmet is donned) you're more 'pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey' than a Race-Horse with Blinkers on. Good thing you're not claustrophobic having such a small gap for line of sight, or are you?

Revan's next project 1 year 2 months ago #50541

• MommyHoldMe
  • Platinum Member
Question, how many pictures do you need to send for the 501st to approve it?

Revan's next project 1 year 2 months ago #50550

• Darth-Revan
  • Platinum Member
For Tyeth wrote:
Regarding the helmet again, could you possibly cut away some of the foam block between the walls of the helmet, gently bend the wall outwards then attach the piece you cut off onto the INSIDE of the wall to rest on your ears

This is a VERY GOOD idea my friend. Haven't thought of that. Definitely gonna do that.

As for the pickiness of the groups, yes, they are picky, but very friendly. If you're missing something, even the smalled details on your costume, they will tell you and help you making the wrongs right in order to make sure you will be admitted. I had no problems joining as Revan since my costume was already perfect, but some of the details on my Anakin were corrected a few times. You need to be open minded and accept criticism. Being part of one of this group is a tough job and will require time and money. If you're not ready for that, and not ready to be possibly rejected, then you should think twice before getting into making a costume.

Ryan-rising: Yeah, for the level one you can have sabers of your choice, as long as you have 6 sabers total. I intend to hang my collection to my belt in order to achieve that.

Ovrcahst: nope, not clostrophobic (THANK GOD)

MommyHoldMe: 1 from the front, 1 from the back, 1 from every side, and some close ups on important details. The last part depends on the costume and how many details are required per parts. For exemple, in order to reach level 2 with my lightsaber, I will have to take close up pictures of it, same thing for the boots and so on.

- Korbanth Kylo Ren
The following user(s) said Thank You: For Tyeth

Revan's next project 1 year 2 months ago #50560

• MommyHoldMe
  • Platinum Member
Ahh thanks for the info! Never had any idea how they did the approving process.

Revan's next project 1 year 2 months ago #50602

• Darth-Revan
  • Platinum Member
I'll add to what I said that it is a bit random as well. Let me explain.

The costumes are approved by the GML. There is one GML/Garrison, mine being the Canadian Garrison. Some GML are more permissive than others. Some will just look at the costume in general and base their decision on that, while some others will ask for more details, making sure you're not missing even the smallest criteria. This can sometimes be a pain. Best way to do things is to write to your GML and ask questions. I wrote to mine a few times already concerning my Anakin (I will post pictures of that costume once it is finished) to see how accurate some of the details had to be. Best exemple is my saber:

I REALLY wanted the Graflex 2.0, even though it only comes in ANH, ESB and TFA configurations. I showed some pictures of the saber to the GML and asked him what I would have to do to have it being considered accurate. All I have to do is change the activation card, which is gonna be pretty easy, since I know Sloth Furnace is selling some brass ones.

- Korbanth Kylo Ren
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by Darth-Revan.

Revan's next project 1 year 2 weeks ago #58680

• Darth-Revan
  • Platinum Member
Helmet is for sale. 350 shipping included anywhere in the world. PM me if you're interested

- Korbanth Kylo Ren

Revan's next project 1 year 2 weeks ago #58710

• Darth-Revan
  • Platinum Member
Helmet gone!

- Korbanth Kylo Ren
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

• My First Comic Con (5 Posts)
    • Hi Guys and thanks, It was a great event for a small regional based show. The weather helped as...
    • Father's Day Sale (9 Posts)
    • It's not that I don't get Nolaan's point, nor did I disagree with the part about the time between...
    • Yeah, that was my thought too (15th and 30th is when I get my checks). But I get his point. If...
    • Ok so maybe longer, but a 25% off every 3-4 months is better imho than a constant 10-15%. It's not a...
    • 3-5 days isn't a good length for a sale, because some of us get paid every two weeks. By having one...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5240
  • Latest Member: ThomasNob
  • Total Posts: 56k
  • Total Topics: 4671
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119
  • Today Open: 1
  • Yesterday Open: 4
  • Today Answer: 20
  • Yesterday Answer: 18