Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Not SW, but all props can be inspirational

Not SW, but all props can be inspirational 1 year 6 months ago #52646

• Neeja_Halcyon
  • And of course I'm happy to spar with you. You're freshly out of combat, your reactions are sharp. I've been sitting idle for quite a while—I need the test."
  • Thank you received: 21
Okay,

Im part of a local group that does various charity events in costume, childrens wish, toy drives, big brothers and big sisters etc.

My main costume is the Emerald Archer of Star City. I recently retired my suit from s1-3 of the CW show "Arrow" and am just finishing up a suit based on season 4.

With the change in the suit...new props were required, and I figured Id show you wonderful degenerates (i mean that in a good way!) some of my prop progress and hopefully some of what Im doing can inspire some to use some of the techniques for their SW costumes.

*Funny side note, went to a Billy Dee Williams panel a few years ago before I started suiting up this way....I was dressed as corran horn. Mr Williams handler, when he pointed to me for a question said "yes, green arrow in the back there" lol foreshadowing much?*

Alrighty, first something simple a bit of worbla and pvc piping used to make a staff for my girlfriend for her Sarah/Dinah Lance hybrid costume. (yes, im green arrow and my girlfriend cosplays as black canary, thats how we met)

The staff used by sarah lance in the show actually splits into two sections, after some searching i decided for simplicity sake to make the Bo out of 3/4 inch pvc pipe, and capped two of the ends with a male and female threaded section. To hide the connectors (as they were a fair bit thicker) I wrapped it in a layer of worbla (thin, extremely light and pliant thermoplastic). Simulating leather grips, I also used the caps from a couple bottles of Cider and a small amount more of worbla to cap the other ends so they werent just open.

This is a roll of worbla, about 6$ worth.

Cut section 2.5 ft lengths with the connectors

Capping the other ends

Separated, and together

Next....the first big pain southbound end of a northbound hutt.

The quiver.... the season 4 quiver has far more detail than seasons 1-3 unfortunately all i could find in terms of half decent clear pictures...was this

i wanted a quiver that would be both good for the costume, but also functional when i hit the range, as I actually do a fair bit of archery as it is. All the arrows are fiberglass shaft, cut down to the length i wanted and then painted. When cutting fiberglass with a rotary tool ALWAYS USE A RESPIRATOR AND SAFETY GOGGLES. This is not optional protect your health and your eyes.
"A word here, an act there, allowing people to choose between good or evil at their own speed and peril was more our way." -Hal Horn
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Afkor

Not SW, but all props can be inspirational 1 year 6 months ago #52647

• Neeja_Halcyon
  • And of course I'm happy to spar with you. You're freshly out of combat, your reactions are sharp. I've been sitting idle for quite a while—I need the test."
I made a mockup template first out of posterboard, sorry i dont have pics for it. But I traced it out onto the sintra (3mm thickness)

Shaping it with a heatgun to get the general shape together

Once the shape was together, i did the first layer of detailing using wonderflex (even thinner and more flimsy than worbla, but it let me create layered effects)
I then edged the detailing in half cm strips of worbla. Any time you are doing detailing, or makig something out of somewhat expensive materials please measure 3 times cut once...go slowly, it saves you lots of time and aggrivation. If you are feeling tired you can and will mess up setting you back time wise.

Painting happened in multiple coats, thinly applied and cured before the next coat goes on.

The arrows needed to be anchored, so i used green florists foam, made a template and shaved the foam down bit by bit, once the shape was right, covered it in packing tape for strength, and ablack garbage bag on top to absorb some of the light if you look down the quiver.

Attachments:
  • ...ing.jpg (61KB)
"A word here, an act there, allowing people to choose between good or evil at their own speed and peril was more our way." -Hal Horn
The following user(s) said Thank You: Afkor

Not SW, but all props can be inspirational 1 year 6 months ago #52649

• Neeja_Halcyon
Straps added to the quiver, slots were cut into the sintra on the back with a rotary tool, and 1.5 inch webbing was used, with both metal clips and plastic buckles as fasteners.

With the arrows in the block, i can take the block out to use the quiver with my real arrows at the range.
(uh it added this one as an attachment at the bottom for some reason rather than inserting it between the text)

And now the bow....

Primary concern was to have a NON load bearing bow. Meaning it cant actually fire anything at all, thus being con safe.

I started with an actual recurve bow riser. The riser is a Ragim Matrix 48" youth recurve bow. The same bow used by stephen amell as the arrow in season 1 of the show. Meant to do a screen accurate prop but never got around to it.

I painted it up custom, added some worbla around the grip to simulate a leather wrap, and some paracord for flare. The prop on the show had different designs and doodles and sigils woodburned into the riser, i simulated that a bit using a thin brush and some black paint.

The limbs are made from 2 layers of 3mm sintra sandwiched and glued together. I used hot glue out of neccessity, but in the future i would be using epoxy. I taped the limbs together with scotch tape to heat and shape them, and then did the gluing afterwards.

Tracing out my limb pattern

Cutting them out with the rotary tool

Tape and shape

Completed

no pics of the painting process, sorry got distracted and forgot.

The string is nylon paracord. Because the bow limbs are already shaped into the form they would be with the bow being strung...it bears no load at all, you pull it back and let go an the arrow just sort of wobbles there, doesnt even come off the string.

The draw weight is so light i can pull it back with my toe lol

Attachments:
  • ...ted.jpg (49KB)
Last Edit: 1 year 6 months ago by Neeja_Halcyon.

Not SW, but all props can be inspirational 1 year 6 months ago #52677

• Darth Vexing
  • Elite Member
  • Some sentients aren't after anything logical. Some sentients just want to watch the galaxy burn.
  • Thank you received: 90
Wow, that's some very impressive work you've done there Neeja_Halcyon. I have to believe your audience appreciates the time and effort you have gone to.
I am chaos in order's guise.
Last Edit: 1 year 6 months ago by Darth Vexing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Neeja_Halcyon

Not SW, but all props can be inspirational 1 year 6 months ago #52685

• Neeja_Halcyon
Im sort of expected to be green arrow these days. After a couple of years with the other suit...its at the point that if im in another costume at a con i actually get told to go change by various people because they think i pull it off so well.

Not SW, but all props can be inspirational 1 year 6 months ago #52689

• Greysider
  • Platinum Member
  • "I am not your kind. I do not feed off vengeance. I am a Jedi." - Quinlan Vos
  • Thank you received: 333
Wow you truly have passion for what you do and it shows Neeja. Awesome.
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU

Not SW, but all props can be inspirational 1 year 6 months ago #52695

• SuUpberSith
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 101
First convention I went to, my dad was with me. lol. I was 19 and this girl in the Slave Leia get up walked and I walked straight into a wall! lmao
Rev-N Elite VV, Dark Ardent VV
Monarch SF, Reborn SF
Weathered Dark Acolyte VV
Korbanth, Graflex, K4
Tempest Elite VV

Not SW, but all props can be inspirational 1 year 6 months ago #52711

• Neeja_Halcyon
currently debating doing a SWTOR armoured jedi out of 1mm sintra to keep the weight down and increase the ability to shape it.

This quiver and the bow limbs were actually my first foray into working thermoplastics
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Darth Vader's light saber... (2 Posts)
    • Take a look on this page. MPP Mk1 and Mk2 These were a pre-oder run starting a few months ago, but...
    • Shoto saber design, ISO i... (30 Posts)
    • If its asp it should be easy to slip it over whatever you need covered, but I'm new to this. What is...
    • Darth Vader's light saber... (2 Posts)
    • So i'm doing a Darth Vader cosplay for the next comic con in my area. I was wondering if you...
    • I had missed that, thanks. How hard would it be to get a properly sized o-ring over a sealed hilt?
    • You may have missed where I posted it earlier...O-rings can cure what ails you on the cheap.

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5837
  • Latest Member: AmbientStudios
  • Total Posts: 60.7k
  • Total Topics: 5037
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 134
  • Today Open: 1
  • Yesterday Open: 4
  • Today Answer: 8
  • Yesterday Answer: 32