Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Question about helmet

Question about helmet 1 year 1 hour ago #60430

• SadiraOrphesu
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 73
Hey everyone! So I'm kinda new to this whole cosplay realm and I've ordered this mask for a jedi shadow cosplay I've got in mind. I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on how I could cover the back of my head and make it seem like a solid helmet around my full head?

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Question about helmet 11 months 4 weeks ago #60460

• Darth Vexing
  • Elite Member
  • Some sentients aren't after anything logical. Some sentients just want to watch the galaxy burn.
  • Thank you received: 90
You could always go with the old tried and true Jedi/Sith standby of a hood.
I am chaos in order's guise.

Question about helmet 11 months 4 weeks ago #60541

• SadiraOrphesu
  • Elite Member
Well I am going to have a hood as well actually but I am still wanting the full helmet, something in the style of the jedi temple guard. I've actually come up with a pretty straight forward plan to make the back of the helmet out of fiberglass so it goes with the helmet front. I'll either post pictures of the process on here or create a new thread!

Question about helmet 11 months 4 weeks ago #60571

• OvrcAHst
  • War. Mostly Dark, Often Grey, Sometimes Light
  • Thank you received: 1602
I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on how I could cover the back of my head and make it seem like a solid helmet around my full head?
I've actually come up with a pretty straight forward plan to make the back of the helmet out of fiberglass so it goes with the helmet front.
Hardly advice as I don't Cosplay or have any experience with it so perhaps some thinking out loud idea-tank? Reading the many Cosplay Topics and exchanged Threads, common feedback specific to tolerance is the residual heat retention and absence of breathability. Not just limited to face coverings, but in poorly ventilated Cons where herding like cattle isn't uncommon due to the number of people in attendance, in addition to the multiple layers of your matching costume you get hot. As you may know when your body is hot a reflexive cool-down is to sweat and the most common vent-point is from your head.

It may be similar to your fibreglass idea, perhaps creating a shaped casting/mould of your head (either an open-face helmet or chicken-wire skeletal frame like paper mache-ing for template) and use a similar perforated material to the green sections to continue the mask into a helmet. With obvious reasons your vision isn't obstructed because of said front mesh and as the material is continued over the top and rear you won't feel like you're in a sauna.

Thin paint-dipped aluminium is used with car bonnets for intake scoops and vented grills. Retains virtually zero heat, promotes breathability and as a soft metal, imagine it similar to a stiffened hair net?
The following user(s) said Thank You: SadiraOrphesu

Question about helmet 11 months 4 weeks ago #60588

• Elive
  • Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny
  • Thank you received: 5
They make little fans that fit inside air soft mask I found some a while back on evike.com (i think that's what it's called) so if you used fiber glass i would probably pick 1 up
The following user(s) said Thank You: SadiraOrphesu

Question about helmet 11 months 4 weeks ago #60625

• SadiraOrphesu
  • Elite Member
Those are both great points! I found some small dime sized fans for cheap so I think I'm gonna make a cooling system to go on the back of my neck that circulates the air plus it'll look pretty cool to have the detail.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Father's Day Sale (8 Posts)
    • Yeah, that was my thought too (15th and 30th is when I get my checks). But I get his point. If...
    • Ok so maybe longer, but a 25% off every 3-4 months is better imho than a constant 10-15%. It's not a...
    • 3-5 days isn't a good length for a sale, because some of us get paid every two weeks. By having one...
    • PS-Luke V2 WIP (22 Posts)
    • This one I'm doing is a CR, so slightly less space for the install, CRAM-FU!!!! Really can't stress...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5240
  • Latest Member: ThomasNob
  • Total Posts: 56k
  • Total Topics: 4671
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119
  • Today Open: 1
  • Yesterday Open: 4
  • Today Answer: 18
  • Yesterday Answer: 18