Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Hood idea (maybe pattern request?)

Hood idea (maybe pattern request?) 10 months 1 week ago #64511

• Pedrias
  • Rule through fear of the force rather than force itself
  • Thank you received: 8
Hey Saberfanatics! Building up on my cosplay for my sith character, and was curious if anyone can provide any resources (or, and I know it's a shot in the dark, the sewing pattern) for a particular hood (not a robe, but something to go with the base costume)? I want it to look like a bit like the reborn hood from the Star Wars: Jedi Outcast game (pictured below). I also like the fabric covering the mouth area here as well, but just that instead of getting a balaclava (like a ninja). Any ideas?

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Hood idea (maybe pattern request?) 10 months 1 week ago #64518

• WookieeGunner
  • Thank you received: 11
Looks like the Cowl part of this pattern might work: http://moirandalls.com/cowl.htm

And for the face piece I would do a google search on neoprene half face mask.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pedrias

Hood idea (maybe pattern request?) 10 months 1 week ago #64523

• Pedrias
Awesome, the pattern certainly helps! As for half face masks, I checked out the neoprene ones, a lot of them have some design on them, which doesn't really gel with the costume idea I had in mind. I'm actually looking more for a cloth one in a dark red.

Hood idea (maybe pattern request?) 10 months 1 week ago #64551

• WookieeGunner
  • Thank you received: 11
One issue that you may have is getting any form of shape with a simple piece of cloth. I had a friend who was doing a Shadow costume and he sewed a thin piece of metal into the cloth where the nose went. I think it came from a Breath Right strip but it might have been the piece from a disposable dust mask.

Hood idea (maybe pattern request?) 10 months 1 week ago #64652

• Pedrias
I figured that might be an issue. The solution your friend used seems like a pretty good idea to help keep that shape, I'll have to look into that. Thanks again, WookieeGunner!

Hood idea (maybe pattern request?) 9 months 4 weeks ago #65453

• bigBear
  • Thank you received: 2
another idea is create your own mask from a foam sheet. there are a ton of how to's on youtube that include where to get material from.

Hood idea (maybe pattern request?) 9 months 4 weeks ago #65459

• KPax10
  • Thank you received: 13
OK, chiming in regarding the hood. I've use the Simplicity 5840 pattern with success. this is a "Jedi" pattern that can be adjusted as you see fit. It's the hood used in my Avatar. I also used it last halloween when I made a Cosplay for Disturbed's "The Guy".

The pattern has a 'witches peak' at the back (WHYYYYYY?) - I modified this by just rounding the pattern at that spot and not pointing it. This also lays out well if you don't want a seam down the middle/top, which... who does? LOL. If you want a slightly wider hood, you can modify the fabric pattern as well.

ALWAYS cut out an intermediate/mock-up pattern piece first - I use old sheets from the Salvation Army or Goodwill (instead of muslin) - it's cheaper!) this allows you to quickly see any flaws and make adjustments prior to cutting out on your expensive final fabric.

Plan on lining the inside of the hood with a matching, inexpensive fabric. In between these layers, put a layer of medium weight Interfacing fabric, it's usually white. There is 'iron on' types, but i end up sewing it in just to be sure. don't get too light or too heavy of an interfacing. JoAnns Fabric has a large selection to choose from!

As to the mask - what the others have suggested would probably work the best. Just remember, your face will get moist with all that contained breathing, so something that allows you to do that without too much containment will be best.

EDIT: Reread your reference to the Balaclava... if you don't just want to get a black Balaclava and use that (aka Ninja), just get an inexpensive one and use it to create a pattern for the fabric you DO want. OR cut out fabric to go ON the existing Balaclava.

-= Kylo Pax-Ren =-
Last Edit: 9 months 4 weeks ago by KPax10.

Hood idea (maybe pattern request?) 9 months 4 weeks ago #65467

• Pedrias
Guys, I have a confession to make, I browsed etsy and caved in to buying a Kylo Ren hood I stumbled on by chance, as the pattern, material, look and size (price wasn't too bad either) of the hood all seemed to fit in what I had in mind for my character. I thank you guys for the advice in that regard.

As for the mask, KPax10, that last picture is a great reference to what I'm looking for. Looking for wine/maroon red, so it might be a bit tricky to find a color that matches the balaclava. I like the idea of getting an inexpensive one and putting fabric over it. Hopefully this can be breathable and keep a solid shape. Was tossing around the idea of getting a balaclava, wrapping around a certain fabric, kinda like a mummy, around the balaclava. I like your idea as well big bear, I'll have to look into that and see if I can get a similar look with that. Always good to have options. Thanks guys!
Last Edit: 9 months 4 weeks ago by Pedrias.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Father's Day Sale (8 Posts)
    • Yeah, that was my thought too (15th and 30th is when I get my checks). But I get his point. If...
    • Ok so maybe longer, but a 25% off every 3-4 months is better imho than a constant 10-15%. It's not a...
    • 3-5 days isn't a good length for a sale, because some of us get paid every two weeks. By having one...
    • PS-Luke V2 WIP (22 Posts)
    • This one I'm doing is a CR, so slightly less space for the install, CRAM-FU!!!! Really can't stress...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5240
  • Latest Member: ThomasNob
  • Total Posts: 56k
  • Total Topics: 4671
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119
  • Today Open: 1
  • Yesterday Open: 4
  • Today Answer: 18
  • Yesterday Answer: 18