Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Concept for a rogue Jedi + backstory

Concept for a rogue Jedi + backstory 5 months 6 days ago #82086

• Bdurist
  • Thank you received: 19
So I have a character I have been developing for awhile now by the name of Boridren who was framed as his master's murderer.His master was really murdered by an unknown bounty hunter.so Boridren is on the run (reason why I have a scarf in the drawing)

Any ideas what kind of fabric I should use for each part?
Thanks- BDurist
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Concept for a rogue Jedi + backstory 5 months 6 days ago #82090

• Sylabus
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 42
In regards to fabric for a jedi-type character, one needs to consider how/where the outfit is going to be used. For instance, are we going near 501st requirements of screen accuracy or something just aesthetically pleasing? Then we need to consider both where you will wear this outfit most and where you live. If you're in more northerly areas of the world, something thicker and heavier for the layers would be appropriate (similar if your character lives on/is from a colder environment). If you hail from somewhere closer to the tropics or equator (IE: tatooine to any of us new-england or more north lol), then something more lightweight that breathes. ESPECIALLY at conventions in the summer! lol

personally, I feel that most things in the Star Wars universe (canon or not) need one thing for fabrics: texture. Many (not all) jedi have robes, tunics and the like made of lighter fabrics that show motion well. These would be gauze, linen and to some extents monkscloth and broadcloths going from bottom to top-most layers. Vinals and leathers work well for stiffer accent pieces like belts, gloves, bracers, boots and tabbards. However these can be tough to work with (hence accent pieces) as well as tending towards more dark side/sith characters with their feelings of heavy-ness. Then, of course the fact that the more layers you have, the more you will sweat!

What I would do is, well, what I usually do. Come up with a design first (which you've done), then head to a fabric store for inspiration. Have a base color in mind and take a walk through the fabric bolts. Touch and feel stuff that strikes your fancy. If it doesnt feel good in your hands, then how will it feel against your arm-pits or other more sensitive areas that don't get as much use? Also, if it feels good and looks good, look at the composition of the fabric. many places like Jo-Ann's and Hobby Lobby will put what the fabric is made of on the bolts/rolls. Polyester = wont fray but will tend to retain heat! 70% or higher cottons and linens will breathe more but you DEFINATELY WANT TO PRE-SHRINK THESE before cutting and sewing. Also, if its 80% or more natural fibers, like cotton, linen or wool, if its not the right color you can dye it fairly easily!

I try to keep my stuff lightweight fabrics if there's layers, but sometimes money plays a part. If you see something you like but its all "woah! 15 bucks a yard wtF?!", sign up for the store's email list! Jo-Anns in particular sends out snail mail and email coupons every week! those 50-60%off ones you get come in handy sometimes!

In case you didn't see my costume posts (or some of my others about costumes floating about) I am an intsy bitsy teeny weenie little cosplay nerd some- ok a LOT of the time. I have built up a small mind mcmansion (not a mind castle though. aint nobody got time for that) of fabric and costume knowledge. A lot through a few theatre courses several years ago and personal experience from conventions. So feel free to ask me questions! but in the end I would say.....

TL;DR: Lightweight cotton-blends that won't break the bank and feel good! Also the person posting this giant reply is a non-professional cosplay nerd.
"I believe that the human spirit is indomitable. If you endeavor to achieve, it will happen given enough resolve." ~Monty Oum
The following user(s) said Thank You: KelbornX, Bdurist

Concept for a rogue Jedi + backstory 5 months 6 days ago #82092

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 538
Uhh.... what she ^ said.

For real though, great advice there. Definitely recommend lighter weight fabrics if you're going to layer. I didn't even have a big heavy robe with my first Jedi outfit and I was a pile of sweat before the day was done at the first con I wore it to (granted, it was June lol). Polyester microfiber is really good for keeping warm haha. Looking to have it remade in a lightweight linen or such for a more "Old Ben" looking piece.

Since I can barely make out your drawing I can't offer much specific advice to your concept other than try going for a distressed/worn look, to fit with the "rogue" theme. Perhaps even mismatched fabrics to make it seem like he grabbed a piece here and there while on the run.

Concept for a rogue Jedi + backstory 5 months 6 days ago #82095

• Bdurist
  • Thank you received: 19
KelbornX wrote:

Since I can barely make out your drawing I can't offer much specific advice to your concept other than try going for a distressed/worn look, to fit with the "rogue" theme. Perhaps even mismatched fabrics to make it seem like he grabbed a piece here and there while on the run.
sorry about not being able to see my drawing the camera on my phone sucks.My idea was to have a sleeveless tunic (forest green possibly) a v-shaped tabard (dark brown)scarf tucked into obi/sash (tan and I already have them made from an old Jedi costume that I made for Halloween one year) arm wraps(color undecided yet) and pants (probably made from a pajama pants pattern).
How could I get a distressed look Im new at cosplay.
I really like the mismatched idea I might do the same thing for the lightsaber when I get one and customize it maybe use scraps from the costume to wrap it.
By the way thank you Kelborn and Sylabus for the advice and ideas
-Bdurist

Concept for a rogue Jedi + backstory 5 months 6 days ago #82098

• Sylabus
  • Premium Member
In the morning/ Thursday I can go more in depth, but if going forest green and brown/tan, I would keep the pants and arm wraps darker/earthy toned. Boots/shoe color may come into play but i'd say if brown boots, then brown arm wraps and khaki/tan pants but use some darker thread for the seams to give them some pop! Black boots, then dark brown pants with black and green arm wraps. Then again this is just my opinion. I personally wouldn't go completely sleeveless, but make it short sleeved then trim the extra off so it covers the shoulder a bit and peeks out from under the browns. Forest green is a great color so show it off! Also, can mis-match the arm wraps too for some extra umps. Just Saiyan! Lol

Distressing can be done many ways. For one costume, I took sandpaper to a tunic (lightly) to make it threadbare in spots where a bandoleer would rub against it constantly. Another, I dyed a poofy white cotton shirt in tea. Yet another, polyester and thick, I took a grill lighter to...but, there's ways without destroying the fabric too *not as fun Imo tho*. Adding patched areas to pants with different color fabrics, or selectively using spray fabric paints along seams. I can get some video and pic links for you later, when I get the chance.
"I believe that the human spirit is indomitable. If you endeavor to achieve, it will happen given enough resolve." ~Monty Oum

Concept for a rogue Jedi + backstory 5 months 5 days ago #82099

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • That guy.
  • Thank you received: 766
Not exactly an in-depth tutorial, but should give some weathering ideas.

That said, you don't really have to go that far early on in your cosplay career. If you're that worried about your costume looking too new, just throw it in the wash a few times and wear it around the house to break it in.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sylabus

Concept for a rogue Jedi + backstory 5 months 5 days ago #82100

• Sylabus
  • Premium Member
That and letting it sit in a crumpled pile in the sun for a few months to naturally fade/bleach the fabrics. Not that I've done that accidentally at all. Nope. Not at all. Also didn't accidently get bleach on something too. Nope. /kiddingitotallydidthoseonce.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kouri

Concept for a rogue Jedi + backstory 5 months 5 days ago #82101

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • That guy.
Speaking of bleach, I think I've seen someone put watered-down bleach in a spray bottle and spray a costume on a dummy just to fade the raised portions.

Dunno, I'm honestly a props-and-armor guy that can't sew a straight seam to save my life, so while I've got no problem making pieces of plastic look like ancient metal, the fabric part of costuming is still a whole new ballgame for me. Working on it though - got a bar of wax waiting to hit my Kylo sleeves after I finish upgrading the saber.

EDIT: As for the concept itself - it would probably help to get a better picture. You don't really need a nice camera - just take the shot head-on and closer so the paper fills the image.

From what I can tell though, the costume you've designed doesn't match the story you want to tell.

Story: Jedi on the run.
Costume: Jedi with a scarf.

Jedi that don't want to get caught typically don't dress like Jedi. Clone Wars Ahsoka snagged some guy's poncho to hide her clothes. Rebels Kanan (aside from the armor) is in normal-blend-in clothes. FU Shaak Ti donned some tribal skins to blend in with the natives and withstand the tropical heat. Marvel Jocasta Nu's in a winter coat to tackle the mountain climate. Even ANH Old Ben spends most of his time in the silk weave dusk cape to cover his robes and conceal his form.

That's not to say you should throw your design away - maybe the design is more important to you than the backstory, then tweak the story to fit the costume. There's plenty of precedent for modified Jedi robes. FU Rahm Kota's wearing pretty standard robes, but he keeps the rear tabbard tails untucked and free-flowing, and he's attached armor plating on top. He's also specifically saying HEY, I'M A JEDI GENERAL, COME GET ME, VADER! Other non-human Jedi often wore culutural heirlooms that weren't part of the standard uniform. FU Kazdan Paratus had bits of a tattered old robes underneath his cybernetic limbs, but he was also going senile on the junk planet and thought he was still on the Jedi council.

Basically, the costume should already tell the story of your character so that you don't have to explain it to anyone. When the two are in agreement, it's also easier to get into character and pose for cool photos or make silly videos. Maybe the scarf is the leftover tabbard from his master's old robes, so Boridren's going to have a sad look to him as he reminisces. Maybe he tore it off the bounty hunter and has a tendency to clutch it in anger while he tries to track down one responsible for his master's demise. Maybe it was on sale at Hoth Topic and Bori's a fashionista that always criticized the Jedi council's taste in apparel. *shrug*
Last Edit: 5 months 5 days ago by Kouri.

Concept for a rogue Jedi + backstory 5 months 5 days ago #82107

• Major_Tom
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 64
How do you pre-shrink a roll of linen? I just ordered several yards to make inner and outer kimonos...
The Force flows through us all, in all of its peace and passion

Concept for a rogue Jedi + backstory 5 months 5 days ago #82112

• Sylabus
  • Premium Member
What is usually do is take the bolt/roll/piece of fabric and unfurl it.if overy say, 6 yards, cut it in smaller portions or whatever your washer/dryer can take. Toss the unrolled fabric into washer and wash with hot water to get any chemical out of it, like pre-added softeners. Then toss into dryer on hot/the hottest setting. Cottons, linens, and wool shrink super easy that way. Test it out first with a prematured amount of fabric first though! Say a 1/8 to a 1/4 yard at most. It may shrink very little or a lot.

Either way, once you get an idea how much it will shrink, then go from there and do the rest. Once the garment is finished being made and worn, when it comes to washing: cold to warm water. Dryer should be cool to warm or let it air dry. Juuuuuuust in case.

Why: cotton upholstery tunic for my 1st how to train your Dragon costume was preshrunk by me but mom washed it hot dried it hot and it shrunk from a women's small to a kids med/large =_=

Edit: a few YouTube links I like for diy distressing. Link 3 is closer to what I do typically!

Last Edit: 5 months 5 days ago by Sylabus.

Concept for a rogue Jedi + backstory 5 months 4 days ago #82159

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • That guy.
Sylabus wrote:
Why: cotton upholstery tunic for my 1st how to train your Dragon costume was preshrunk by me but mom washed it hot dried it hot and it shrunk from a women's small to a kids med/large =_=

Concept for a rogue Jedi + backstory 5 months 4 days ago #82160

• Sylabus
  • Premium Member
Kouri wrote:

<3 Yes. Exactly. As it stands, my current red one's arm-holes shrunk slightly just from years of use! Even with a double pre-shrink AND being a nerd and sewing it with French seams to try and prevent it.

Remember! Only you can prevent costume shrinkage! ;D
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kouri

Member Login

Latest Posts

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6834
  • Latest Member: reliken
  • Total Posts: 69.1k
  • Total Topics: 5816
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 145
  • Today Open: 2