Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Dueling Armor

Dueling Armor 3 weeks 2 days ago #82305

• Major_Tom
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 20
So yesterday, my girl's Crystal Ares arrived, and after showing it around the office, we proceeded to fight in the parking lot, at which point I promptly delivered a resounding blow to her wrist. It's not broken, (I was an EMT and more recently unit medic in the swiss army), but she def has reduced mobility and a nasty welt. In order to redeem myself out of the dog house I now need to find her some star-wars appropriate and combat ready bracers. She has her heart fairly set on the getup that Obi Wan wears in TCW animated series. All I've found online are cosplay guides and I doubt foam and papercraft are going to hold up in full contact sparring.

Any tips or leads?

Edit: Ares, btw, is amazing. Well balanced with the 37'' blade, amazing twohander. 2 hander's arent my style but she is smitten, and though battle damaged, she is not dissuaded
The Force flows through us all, in all of its peace and passion
Last Edit: 3 weeks 2 days ago by Major_Tom.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Dueling Armor 3 weeks 2 days ago #82306

• Sylabus
  • Thank you received: 33
If you'really going to make it yourself and wear for full contact, stay away from basic craft foamy. I used that for a costume, and while very flexible, it will not help absorb a lot of impact. I would suggest using eva foam. Aka: the stuff that snap-together play-room floors and yoga mats are made of! Armor made of that stuff looks great for costumes and can take a beating. I mean, I know some LARPers who use the stuff.

A decent idea of what it's all about:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Creating-a-CostumeCosplay-from-EVA-Foam/
"I believe that the human spirit is indomitable. If you endeavor to achieve, it will happen given enough resolve." ~Monty Oum

Dueling Armor 3 weeks 2 days ago #82307

• For Tyeth
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 963
Hi Major_Tom, Sylabus,

I don't know much about EVA Foam armour but there is this YouTube vid I dug up that shows how to mock up a set of Obi-Wan armour with EVA foam and Plasti Dip. Again not sure how durable but maybe worth a look for ideas.

For Tyeth

Dueling Armor 3 weeks 2 days ago #82309

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • That guy.
  • Thank you received: 739
Sylabus wrote:
If you'really going to make it yourself and wear for full contact, stay away from basic craft foamy. I used that for a costume, and while very flexible, it will not help absorb a lot of impact. I would suggest using eva foam. Aka: the stuff that snap-together play-room floors and yoga mats are made of! Armor made of that stuff looks great for costumes and can take a beating. I mean, I know some LARPers who use the stuff.

Well craft foam *is* EVA foam, it's just much thinner (1/8-1/4" [3-6mm]) as opposed to the 1/2" (12mm) mats. That said, LARPers also pad their weapons - EVA foam on its own isn't great for protection against a thickwall polycarbonate blade.

The Saber Legion has plenty of info on basic protection - the cheapest options being hockey/lacrosse gloves. The bottom of the page also lists a few reputable vendors for gear. http://www.saberlegion.org/resources.php

Or if you *really* want out of the dog house, you could go ahead and commission a full set of Clone-Wars-inspired HEMA gear: https://neymanfencing.com/tsl/32-tsl-battle-monk.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: KelbornX, For Tyeth, Sylabus

Dueling Armor 3 weeks 2 days ago #82314

• Sylabus
I can only say what I've used with any certainty. My craft foam is no thicker than 2mm, so while it may be the same chemical composition, it may as well be a shaving of coconut meat as opposed to the whole dang coconut right off the tree! XD

Overall, sports gear may work the best out the box, but ya'll gonna have to modify it to make it/keep it star wars-y. Star Wars is more about clean lines. SPorts equipment looks out the box better on a person fighting Vex of Geth as opposed to Droids imo. But even with good equipment, regardless of the series its based off or where it comes from, you're still probably gonna get sore spots.(source: me. longleeve shirt, 3 fleece sweters and a jacket may lessen the impact of paintballs in winter, but ya still get a sore spot even if no bruise!)

...tho admitedly, if you're swinging a saber around with the same force as a paintball marker, you may want to lighten up or re-check your priorities. Just saying.

....also admitedly: I only cosplay so I am of the mind of what's easier to work with and wear as opposed to what could absorb impact from full contact duels. so my advice may be taken with a few more grains of salt than other's advice! Well, maybe a full tablespoon of salt. I work better with fabric than foam! XD
"I believe that the human spirit is indomitable. If you endeavor to achieve, it will happen given enough resolve." ~Monty Oum

Dueling Armor 3 weeks 2 days ago #82315

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • That guy.
Dunno you're preferred craft store, but Michaels hides their thicker craft foam alllll the way up top in the aisle - but it's half the price of JoAnn's, so definitely worth it.

Built my Terra armor mostly from the thicker 6mm craft foam, with bits of detail from the really thin stuff you're talking about, and a disc of one of those 1/2" mats on the shoulder.

A nice compromise might be to buy a cheap set of protective gauntlets and then cover them with some foam for Clone-Wars-style armor. As long as the protective gear is underneath, doesn't matter what you do on top.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sylabus

Dueling Armor 3 weeks 2 days ago #82316

• Sylabus
I'd do that too, buy and modify. That way you get good protection without breaking the bank.

Up by me, Michaels tends more expensive and with the number of 50% + off coupons I get for Jo Annes ( and the fact I now have the ultimate in corporate craft stores Hobby Lobby) I tend to stick with my J.A.

Funnily enough, I actually don't have wip pics of my Pyrrha cosplay armor, just the finished complete set. It's various layers of the ultrathin foam, mod podge, gold satin and metallic gold acrylic paint with some thread. Absolutely just winged it. Had I been unlazy and found a guide......I probably would have done the same end result. Didn't have the tools at the time. Tools and patience are key!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kouri

Dueling Armor 3 weeks 2 days ago #82318

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 418
Absolutely recommend the TSL minimum of hockey chest/gloves and fencing mask if you're going to do anything other than choreo or LARPing. Even with those, at least get good hockey/lacrosse gloves and wear safety glasses. I think it's 350N+ rating you'd want to look for as far as impact rating.

Planning on getting that Neyman set for myself soon so I don't have borrow old sweaty gear from other people anymore.

Dueling Armor 2 weeks 6 days ago #82462

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • That guy.
Realizing a set of black lacrosse gloves with a white panel attached to the back of the hands would be a decent match for Obi's gloves.

Here's what the thicker stuff looks like, and it's already white, so no paint.

A flexible contact cement like Barge would probably be the best bet to attach these to the gloves.

That and a pair of safety glasses should be plenty for goofing around since you've got fingers, wrists, and eyes covered.

You can go ahead and follow that up with some foam arm bracers for looks - but they won't offer the protection of proper arm guards. Shouldn't be a problem if you're not seriously dueling.

And if it helps SIllyB any, a search for EVA Yoga Mats or EVA Camping Mats should provide some nice large rolls of 6mm (1/4") foam for armor building.

Dueling Armor 2 weeks 6 days ago #82471

• Sylabus
Seeing as my next two big cosplay builds are a Nightfury themed Assassin and my Destiny 2 Hunter load out, I probably will search that once I get past the planning phases. Going to use a paintball mask for the helmet base. Like we suggested earlier in the thread: use something IRL that's close and modify it! Saves money and time!

Dueling Armor 2 weeks 4 days ago #82550

• Darth Squidious
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 272
I have a set of hard plastic bracers, gauntlets and shins for a project that isn't going to pan out for me. All are painted to look like metal the bracers are adjustable with leather straps and quick release buckles. The gauntlets are just a plate attached to padded gloves and the shins never had straps added. Message me and I can post pics if you're interested.
RELEASE THE KRAKEN!

Dueling Armor 2 weeks 3 days ago #82587

• Major_Tom
  • Premium Member
Thanks for all the resources guys! Looking at the actual armor, and similar sources, it would seem that well made EVA foam offers adequate protection. I will be making the armor pads out of EVA foam with a healthy coat of plasti-dip for rigidity. Coupled with motorcycle gloves and more practice it should do the trick.

Since Obi Wan is often shown with just the bracers and gloves, and othertimes with pauldrons and gorget, I will be attaching the bracers to a pair of football arm shivers, cut some slots for buttons. I will attach the pauldrons and bicep protection to an underarmor under-layer, and add buttons to secure the arm shivers when used combined. If anyone sees any major flaws let me know now!

Dueling Armor 2 weeks 3 days ago #82590

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • That guy.
Plastidip won't do anything for rigidity. It's only real use is sealing the foam before paint.

A fitted bracer will basically rest against the wrist, so no absolute need to attach it to a shiver.

Pauldron needs some way to attach to the shoulder and hold in place. Bicep just needs a strap that attaches to the secured pauldron so that it doesn't slip into the elbow.

Dueling Armor 2 weeks 3 days ago #82591

• Major_Tom
  • Premium Member
Given that in TCW obi wan has a black morphsuit under thearmor anyway i feel like this is the simplest solution

Dueling Armor 2 weeks 2 days ago #82617

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • That guy.
I'm trying to say to simplify it further.

Long-sleeve underarmor.

Bicep attaches to pauldron with a nylon webbing strap. Assembly then slips up the arm, and the pauldron attaches to the shoulder with some velcro or snaps. Strap keeps the bicep from falling down.

Bracer slips on over the forearm. Should be made with a tight wrist so that the un-gloved hand barely fits through and the bracer will just rest against the open/fisted hand. Should still leave enough room to tuck the glove in place afterward.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Major_Tom

Dueling Armor 2 weeks 1 day ago #82648

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • That guy.
I blame this thread, but finally got off my butt and bought a pair of lacrosse gloves.

Now to just finish those two dueling hilts I've had sitting around...

Dueling Armor 2 weeks 1 day ago #82659

• Sylabus
I blame this thread too. I went digging thru my back catalog of free stuff I have gotten and found an old fencing mask that will be my Hunter helm/mask base. XD
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kouri

Dueling Armor 2 weeks 1 day ago #82660

• Major_Tom
  • Premium Member
lolol woo

I am helpful :D
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sylabus

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Happy Last Jedi Day! (1 Posts)
    • Fellow Saber enthusiasts... For those of you going and to those of you who have already seen -...
    • Dark Shroud Archon (6 Posts)
    • A perfect weapon to survive the ashes of the Jedi Order and the pommel fits perfectly into the error...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6161
  • Latest Member: IraPoods
  • Total Posts: 62.5k
  • Total Topics: 5239
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 136
  • Today Open: 3
  • Yesterday Open: 4
  • Today Answer: 15
  • Yesterday Answer: 11