Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

TOPIC: Cosplay/Character Help (For a newbie)

Cosplay/Character Help (For a newbie) 2 years 2 months ago #17686

• Dark Jedi Zero
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 4
Thanks! I might use that.

My other idea was that cortosis adds lightsaber-resistant properties to metals when mixed with the ore, so I might just have a cortosis-durasteel alloy.

Basically anything can happen at this point
The topic has been locked.

Cosplay/Character Help (For a newbie) 2 years 2 months ago #17687

• Dark Jedi Zero
  • Premium Member
Based on how my backstory's going, I've sketched out what I'd like the costume to look like:

With $180 and a lot of sewing, I might actually make it happen.

Cosplay/Character Help (For a newbie) 2 years 1 month ago #18430

• Dark Jedi Zero
  • Premium Member
Here's the backstory for my character, so far. I'm really happy with how it's turning out, and will be updating the link with every new section, for ease of reading.

Thank you for any who take the time to read it. I realize it's 5 pages long, but would like any comments or suggestions you might have.

Take care, and may the force be with you, always.

Cosplay/Character Help (For a newbie) 2 years 1 month ago #18526

• Dark Jedi Zero
  • Premium Member
Well, I guess this is a bump for now, but also kind of an update.

Although I'm still looking for input on cosplay materials/patterns, I'm probably going to start a new thread for that information, since the first pieces of my costume will be arriving on Wednesday. In that thread, I plan on posting my concept picture, as long as pictures of the costume/pieces as it gets put together. I will probably post a link to the backstory there too, but I don't know...

As far as I can tell, this seems to be fine for forum rules, but I'd like any advice on topic name suggestions. Also, is it fine for me to post it in the cosplay gallery section, even though the costume isn't done yet?

Cosplay/Character Help (For a newbie) 2 years 1 month ago #18561

• Faethien
  • Elite Member
  • Judge me by my size, do you?
  • Thank you received: 22
Fun time's over, I'm back!

Alright, I read your story and I have some remarks:
- If I recall correctly, your character narrowly escaped Order 66, thus you can't use the Battle of Yavin as a milestone in time, because the Battle of Yavin is something around 15 or 20 years away in the future?
- Also, if he was held captive for 5 years, how come it took him so long to figure out the statue stuff? I mean, Jedi are meant to be resourceful ;)
- If I understood correctly, it's a glass statue with which he manages a lightsaber, there's no way it would work, it would not even produce an unstable blade. What if the captor had an heirloom or something which had an actual crystal in it? There are several things that could work you can take from the SW universe:
  • Light statue (colours are moving and are created through lenses and crystals)
  • Family heirloom
  • Possibly a lightsaber found after Order 66 (though less plausible)
  • Crystal looted from a nearby collector/museum/ ... or during the sack of the Jedi Temple on Coruscant

Other than that, it's a very pleasant story. When I finished what you wrote, I was like: "WTH? He lied, that's only a page and half long!!!"
Then I counted the pages and I thought: "Fae, you can't even count right!"

Good job mate!

Cosplay/Character Help (For a newbie) 2 years 1 month ago #18644

• Dark Jedi Zero
  • Premium Member
The only reason I used the Battle of Yavin as a milestone is because it seems to be the most standard one. Is there another milestone that would also work?

As far as the statue stuff, I think part of it is just because of the nearly impossible task: a statue mysteriously sneaks out of a house without making a sound.

Well, I was thinking the glass would ignite once. Almost immediately after this happens, the glass malfunctions and the saber explodes, killing Rekon's captor and seriously burning his skin. If this seems unrealistic, I can change things, but I used glass specifically because it wouldn't work.

Thanks!

Cosplay/Character Help (For a newbie) 2 years 1 month ago #18650

• Faethien
  • Elite Member
Dark Jedi Zero wrote:
The only reason I used the Battle of Yavin as a milestone is because it seems to be the most standard one.

Yeah, I figured that, don't worry ;)
It's the "official" dating system for Star Wars.
Dark Jedi Zero wrote:
Is there another milestone that would also work?
Yes! There are tons of it actually:
The Treaty of Coruscant
The Hundred Year Darkness
The Great Hyperspace War
The Great Sith War
The Mandalorian Wars
The Jedi Civil War
The Great Galactic War
The Battle of Yavin

The most notable epoch here would likely be the Treaty of Coruscant, which happened in 3,653 BBY. The Sith Empire founded by Palpating happened in 19 BBY and its doom in 4 ABY, so it spans over 23 standard years of the Star Wars Galaxy.

The calendar in Star Wars is based on the Coruscant cycle since the founding of the Old Republic, somewhere around 25,000 BBY. A standard year is 368 days, a day being 24 hours, an hour 60 minutes, and so on.

So let's say your character was prisoner for a few years after Order 66 (which happened in 19 BBY or in 3,634 after the Treaty of Coruscant), that would means your character could free himself somewhere in 3,637 after the Treaty of Coruscant?

And following this logic, the fearsome warrior represented by the statue would have led his rebellion around 21,500 years before the Treaty of Coruscant.

Hope that helps!

There's a good article on the Galactic Standard Calendar on the Star Wars Wookipedia ;)

Also, as for the glass shard to ignite the light saber, I stand by my previous statements saying that it wouldn't work and that finding any type of crystal that COULD work in a lightsaber would not be too much of a stretch. Who's the captor of your character? He could have found one on a Jedi during the Order 66, he could have taken one from the Temple, from a looting of one the many arts and lightsabers at the Temple, could have bought it or be paid with it for whatever job he was tasked to do.
Last Edit: 2 years 1 month ago by Faethien. Reason: Numerous spelling mistakes ... God I hate AZERTY to type English!

Cosplay/Character Help (For a newbie) 2 years 1 month ago #18733

• Dark Jedi Zero
  • Premium Member
Hah! For some reason I'm not getting email alerts about this topic anymore.
Also, as for the glass shard to ignite the light saber, I stand by my previous statements saying that it wouldn't work

Again, I'm using glass shards specifically because they wouldn't work. I'll edit the story so he never ignites the saber until it fails/backfires, so it wouldn't ever create a blade. After these events happen, he'll have to find actual saber crystals (which he steals from Mace Windu's lost saber) and probably replace most of the internal components. Although the exterior of the saber is made of a cortosis alloy and survives the explosion-thingy, the internals would probably be left in dust.

Cosplay/Character Help (For a newbie) 2 years 1 month ago #18830

• Faethien
  • Elite Member
Dark Jedi Zero wrote:
Well, I was thinking the glass would ignite once. Almost immediately after this happens, the glass malfunctions and the saber explodes, killing Rekon's captor and seriously burning his skin. If this seems unrealistic, I can change things, but I used glass specifically because it wouldn't work.

Thanks!

It's not about how unrealistic it seems mate, we're in Star Wars (as much as we'd like it to be real ;) ). However, something doesn't add up. Here you say that the saber would explode and kill his captor, and below you say:Dark Jedi Zero wrote:
Although the exterior of the saber is made of a cortosis alloy and survives the explosion-thingy, the internals would probably be left in dust

So ...
His captor lives and Rekon's skin is not burned at all, there's a bit of a confusion here mate.

For the saber to backfire, what do your think if Rekon was to use two shards of a broken crystal? Or two very small crystals, which are not enough to produce a blade by themselves, but if you add them up, then it works? Because of the instability of either a broken crystal or two different crystals, the saber would ignite then backfire shortly after, but still letting enough time to Rekon to kill his captor.

Cosplay/Character Help (For a newbie) 2 years 1 month ago #18835

• Dark Jedi Zero
  • Premium Member
Sorry to confuse you, I hope this post clarifies a few things:

First: Rekon survives because he is able to get away from the explosion, but his captor has broken legs, and isn't so lucky. Rekon still gets second and third degree burns from the intense heat radiating from the plasma.

Second: What I mean by an explosion is a kind of gigantic plasma surge sorta thing. A 10m wide ball of plasma which disintegrates everything in its path. When the primary and focusing "crystals" are destroyed (because they can't withstand the heat), the energy created by the lightsaber is unfocused and uncontrolled, creating this plasma ball. Cortosis is resistant to energy, so the hilt exterior is able to survive, but the interior components are completely destroyed by the plasma. The fact that the exterior of the hilt is able to survive doesn't do anything to save the captor or stop the explosion.

Third: I have rewritten the backstory so the saber doesn't ignite successfully even once. The edits start at the bottom of page 3, and I'd like to see if they fix the "glass could never work as a crystal" issue. I have also gotten rid of the BBY reference.

Hope these help!
PS: I don't really understand why those quotes contradict each other. One talks about Rekon being injured and his captor being killed, but the other talks about the lightsaber surviving.

Cosplay/Character Help (For a newbie) 2 years 1 month ago #18839

• Faethien
  • Elite Member
Dark Jedi Zero wrote:
A 10m wide ball of plasma which disintegrates everything in its path. When the primary and focusing "crystals" are destroyed (because they can't withstand the heat), the energy created by the lightsaber is unfocused and uncontrolled, creating this plasma ball. Cortosis is resistant to energy, so the hilt exterior is able to survive, but the interior components are completely destroyed by the plasma. The fact that the exterior of the hilt is able to survive doesn't do anything to save the captor or stop the explosion.

A 10 meter wide ball of plasma and the hilt survives? Why not...

I'm just saying that there was a bit of contradiction in your text, as I didn't see how the lightsaber could explode (and kill his captor at the same time) and yet still have a usable hilt :)

I read your new backstory and like it just as much as the previous one. However, and unless I'm mistaken, the previous one included the death of the captor of Rekon, right? Where is that part now? I feel it's an important part of your character's life, so it should be somewhere in there, don't you think?

Cosplay/Character Help (For a newbie) 2 years 1 month ago #18840

• Dark Jedi Zero
  • Premium Member
However, and unless I'm mistaken, the previous one included the death of the captor of Rekon, right? Where is that part now? I feel it's an important part of your character's life, so it should be somewhere in there, don't you think?
Sorry, you are mistaken. That was a part I was thinking of adding. It was never actually written in the backstory. The first time I wrote of it was here:
Perhaps you're thinking of when Rekon cut off his captor's legs, then decided to kill him? I just know that I cut off the story before actually killing the captor because I knew the saber would backfire.

Anyway, I'm just going off of wookiepedia (terrible for me to use, I know) for cortosis facts, which state that it is extremely energy resistant, even able to resist and temporarily short-out lightsabers. Cortosis alloys (which are what the hilt is made of) are also resistant, and because of the lack of brittleness, are often able to resist more hits than pure cortosis, but can't short out the blade of a saber.

I'm picturing the ball of plasma being similar to a ball of lightsaber blade energy. Because lightsabers cut through basically anything, the plasma has the same effect, but the cortosis is resistant to lightsabers and would be resistant to the plasma. In other words, Why? Because sci-fi stuff, that's why :P

Anyway, I plan on adding more to the backstory, so I won't be leaving the captor-death stuff out, just haven't written it yet. Eventually, I want to get my character to be a self-proclaimed jedi knight who has realized that the dark side isn't inherently evil. Perhaps he will join the new order or something. Idk

Cosplay/Character Help (For a newbie) 2 years 1 month ago #18875

• falkemberg
Hi, congrats for your project.
Could i suggest another mask?
I dont know if you have the original mask posted or the amount of money you want to spend on it.......but if you want... take a look on this https://www.etsy.com/es/listing/226717908/sith-acolyte-mask-old-republic-revan?ref=listing-shop-header-1

Cosplay/Character Help (For a newbie) 2 years 1 month ago #18879

• Dark Jedi Zero
  • Premium Member
Thanks for the suggestion!
That mask looks fantastic, but it's not really the direction I see myself going with this character. Although beautiful, it seems too fancy for my uses. I already have a mask though, and have even given it a custom paint scheme. Will post pictures on a new thread once my cosplay is closer to completion.
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Which Length of Blade Sho... (2 Posts)
    • Quote: Hello! I just joined the saberforge forum today mainly because I have one question. I was looking to...
    • Order modification (9 Posts)
    • Quote: As for the blade, I want a *longer* blade than ordered, so in order to cut it to length, I may need...
    • Saber for my daughter (9 Posts)
    • It'd be sharp in the DT finish but if you got it anodised black (like the emitter finish) it wont...
    • Which Length of Blade Sho... (2 Posts)
    • Hello! I just joined the saberforge forum today mainly because I have one question. I was looking to...
    • Order modification (9 Posts)
    • So in the original email i included my order# in both subject and body. As for the blade, I want a...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5838
  • Latest Member: peyneust
  • Total Posts: 60.8k
  • Total Topics: 5048
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 134
  • Today Open: 1
  • Yesterday Open: 7
  • Today Answer: 14
  • Yesterday Answer: 38