Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

TOPIC: An old costume - Sith Acolyte / Adraas

An old costume - Sith Acolyte / Adraas 2 years 11 months ago #1355

• Takamatsu
  • Thank you received: 64
Just thought I'd post this old/retired costume here, I never really wore it in public and gave up on it once people started making real decent versions of this character. The test video was from 2011.

It was made from cheap materials (paper mache, resin,EVA foam, Sale-signs) and I started it in 2009 after buying my first Saber (A Vader Force FX)and after seeing the Deceived SWTOR trailer.

Last Edit: 2 years 11 months ago by Takamatsu.
The topic has been locked.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Silabus, Jedi Ny, MystByte, Copper

An old costume - Sith Acolyte / Adraas 2 years 11 months ago #1360

• GreenLightning
  • Thank you received: 13
Looks good to me. If there is one thing I've learned is not to give up
All ways in black or white. Why not grey
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jedi Ny

An old costume - Sith Acolyte / Adraas 2 years 9 months ago #2456

• JohnnyGato
  • Thank you received: 8
Wow! Great costume!
You Tube Channel: Vegas Island Video
The following user(s) said Thank You: Takamatsu

An old costume - Sith Acolyte / Adraas 2 years 9 months ago #2460

• Miraluka
  • Platinum Member
  • "Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is."
  • Thank you received: 75
Very, very cool.

An old costume - Sith Acolyte / Adraas 2 years 9 months ago #2479

• Obiwannabe
  • The Great Way has no gate, there are thousands of paths to it. If you pass through the barrier, you walk the universe alone.
  • Thank you received: 8
I agree, looks awesome!
It is our duty as men and women to proceed as though the limits of our abilities do not exist.
Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

An old costume - Sith Acolyte / Adraas 2 years 9 months ago #2481

• Copper
  • Thank you received: 5
Very impressive! Looks fantastic, can't believe its a home build, you have some great skills there.

An old costume - Sith Acolyte / Adraas 2 years 8 months ago #3116

• Takamatsu
Thanks for the positive comments. I did have a thought about bringing this costume up to date and improving on it. I brought the costume out of the attic and found it had been attacked by mice (it looked like they had been nesting inside one of the masks/helmets) so I ended up throwing some of the parts away.
The old helmet was surprisingly strong, it took 3 heavy stomps to crush it, lol.

I'm now thinking of starting something altogether new.

An old costume - Sith Acolyte / Adraas 2 years 8 months ago #3127

• MystByte
  • User is blocked
  • There is no Dark Side, nor a Light Side, There Is Only The Force
  • Thank you received: 62
This is really awesome! I've been working on a grey Jedi character who used to be an Acolyte! Where did you buy the mask, from etsy? I've been looking at one there currently.

An old costume - Sith Acolyte / Adraas 2 years 8 months ago #3146

• Takamatsu
LAzy mode: Copied this from my original post a while back on another forum:

I made my first attempt at the helmet back in 2009 for a Halloween costume, it was very rough and with the only real reference with being the CGI trailer I didn't make that good a job of it (at that moment in time I didn't even know how to get screen captures so I spent a while in front of my monitor with the trailer on pause.)

The next year after the "Hope" trailer came out I decided to have another go at it, this time there was better reference pictures and I learnt how to do screen caps, this time I got the helmet a bit smaller and a little more accurate.

Okay so call me silly but I got myself hyped about SW:TOR again, and what happens when I get hyped about SW:TOR? I go ahead and start re-making stuff for my costume.

This time I'm more determined to get it right, and I also have to admit that I was jealous of the mask that mywickedarmor made.
So once again I restarted my helmet, in the same style as I always do I start with a rough template:

and copy it onto cardboard to get the basic face shape:

I used a voice changing death eater mask as a template for the top, covered in paper mache:

This gave me these pieces:

Put together form:

This lot was covered in paper mache:

Before being given some coats of resin+sand+prime+resin+sand+prime.

Fast forward (skip some resin and sanding) and it's time for some details:

So, last time I attempted this I discovered that I couldn't paint the fancy swirls very accurately (I didn't have the patience!). So what am I going to do this time. Perhaps I was foolish or perhaps I was taking notice of the fact that there really shouldn't be a timescale on this, I could after all just do this bit by bit and get there eventually one day... so my weapon of choice for the next 10-12 hours of freetime were these:

Did I tell you that I didn't have much patience, and I've always said pepakura looked like too much messing about with bits of paper for me to even attempt it. Well, now I've learnt the patience and skill it takes to cut tiny pieces of paper. Plus I have the numb fingertip to go with the hours of scalpel use.

And I spent hours cutting tiny bits of cardboard and sticking them onto my mask:

Bit by bit I worked my way around the mask:

And eventually it was covered:

After I'd covered it and myself in glue and (crappy timewasting) little bits of cardboard I gave it another coat of resin, before spraying it with primer. It looked okay I thought, the details were still visible, so I added some rub'n' buff before giving it some a black wash with some acrylic paint. I ended up with this:

I'm still waiting for some red paint that I've ordered to be delivered so that I can paint the mouth area and the forehead areas. I'm pleased I've done this, I certainly consider this an improvement for my costume and I've learnt a bit along the way.
I attempted to make a mould of that helmet but messed it up, the silicone got caught and stuck in all the details. I managed to clean it up and someone offered to buy it. I sold it so that I could buy more materials.

This was the final version that I used, and I have still got the master that this cast was taken from.

I hope this helps, as you can see you could easily make your own with your own design. It takes time and patience but it is quite rewarding.

An old costume - Sith Acolyte / Adraas 2 years 8 months ago #3151

• MystByte
  • User is blocked
Wow that turned out surprisingly well! How much did it cost you in materials?

An old costume - Sith Acolyte / Adraas 2 years 8 months ago #3158

• Errant Knight
  • Thank you received: 3
That's a pretty awesome tutorial.

Thanks for sharing.
You want me to shake hands with you in hell? I shall not disappoint you!

An old costume - Sith Acolyte / Adraas 2 years 8 months ago #3200

• Darth Revan
  • User is blocked
  • I am Revan Reborn, and before me you are nothing!
  • Thank you received: 99
Best Sith Acolyte mask tutorial I've seen so far! The details added to the mask gives it an incredible and unique finish! You sir got awesome skills in costume making!
Champion Medium Blue Reliant (First Edition)
Champion Green Epoc
Warrior Green Epoch
Warrior Red Acolyte
Champion Cyan Acolyte Saberstaff
The following user(s) said Thank You: Takamatsu

An old costume - Sith Acolyte / Adraas 2 years 8 months ago #3201

• MystByte
  • User is blocked
He makes it seem pretty easy too! I know if I tried this it would look more like this:

An old costume - Sith Acolyte / Adraas 2 years 8 months ago #3217

• Takamatsu
The initial expense for materials is practically nothing, seeing as it starts with just card and paper mache (flour, water, newspaper). If you're happy with the outcome at that stage then you can buy some resin to coat it in and make it solid. If it's just the single piece that you're making then you can then buy paint, and an elastic strap and some kind of covering for the eye holes and you're done.

If you're wanting to make a cast of it, then you'll need supplies to buy mold making materials which can become expensive, but like I say for a single one-off item for yourself it is pretty cheap, although it can take a lot of time - especially the details.

If it helps any, here is a link to the basic template I used for the lower half of the mask....

mask template
https://flic.kr/p/bfGCTK
and the filigree pattern:

filigree
https://flic.kr/p/d1ZYay
Last Edit: 2 years 8 months ago by Takamatsu.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MystByte

An old costume - Sith Acolyte / Adraas 2 years 8 months ago #3220

• MystByte
  • User is blocked
Takamatsu wrote:
The initial expense for materials is practically nothing, seeing as it starts with just card and paper mache (flour, water, newspaper). If you're happy with the outcome at that stage then you can buy some resin to coat it in and make it solid. If it's just the single piece that you're making then you can then buy paint, and an elastic strap and some kind of covering for the eye holes and you're done.

If you're wanting to make a cast of it, then you'll need supplies to buy mold making materials which can become expensive, but like I say for a single one-off item for yourself it is pretty cheap, although it can take a lot of time - especially the details.

If it helps any, here is a link to the basic template I used for the lower half of the mask....

mask template
https://flic.kr/p/bfGCTK
and the filigree pattern:

filigree
https://flic.kr/p/d1ZYay

This is very helpful, thank you! I'll have to try this out after exams!

An old costume - Sith Acolyte / Adraas 2 years 8 months ago #3221

• MystByte
  • User is blocked
I must also ask what paints (brands, etc) you used, and what Paper you used for the Filigree

An old costume - Sith Acolyte / Adraas 2 years 8 months ago #3235

• Takamatsu
MystByte wrote:
I must also ask what paints (brands, etc) you used, and what Paper you used for the Filigree

Paints used were just Automotive primer (grey - 2 coats), then Matt Black (again 2 coats), then Silver Leaf 'Rub n Buff'. The red was just brushed on Scarlet Acrylic paint, and where needed I used some watered down black paint to get into the recesses of the detail to make the filigree pattern stand out. The use of black first coat and the silver rub n buff means that you don't really need to do much of the blackwash as the silver mainly hits the high areas anyway.

For the filigree pattern, I just printed it onto normal paper and PVA glued that onto some thin card (sorry I can't give specific weight or anything - it was just some freebie card from some display box at work). One the glue had dried the paper and card were cut together with the scalpel. (this is where patience is needed).

I hope you do have a go at this, and show us what comes of it. Son Alexander used this method and did a video tutorial on it (he gives me a shout-out at the beginning "StewYZF750" - my rpf name) it shows all the details if you want to watch

An old costume - Sith Acolyte / Adraas 2 years 8 months ago #3239

• MystByte
  • User is blocked
Thanks for all of the tips/ideas/help! I'll definitely check out that video and see if I can do it! It would save my $80 from buying it on Etsy anyways!

An old costume - Sith Acolyte / Adraas 2 years 8 months ago #3244

• Takamatsu
MystByte wrote:
Thanks for all of the tips/ideas/help! I'll definitely check out that video and see if I can do it! It would save my $80 from buying it on Etsy anyways!

No probs mate. Like I say, the best part about it is that it costs practically nothing to give it a go (you don't need to buy anything unless you're happy with the cardboard and paper mache stage). Give it a go ;)

An old costume - Sith Acolyte / Adraas 2 years 8 months ago #3295

• Darth Kurgan
  • Join the Dark Side!
  • Thank you received: 1
Please marry me. Nothing more to say.
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Thanks Darth Squidious! (4 Posts)
    • Edon, Darth S Very very nice...me like!! A lot!
    • Order modification (6 Posts)
    • I have requested official clarification from the source. Once I have it, I will revise the FAQ to...
    • Thanks Darth Squidious! (4 Posts)
    • Follow this link: https://saberforgeforum.com/forum/saber-hilt-diy/14034-wip-the-blue-viper Or...
    • Order modification (6 Posts)
    • It depends on the multiverse you live in ;)
    • Crossguard LED (2 Posts)
    • It's an LED per point

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5840
  • Latest Member: valliecraft783072
  • Total Posts: 60.8k
  • Total Topics: 5047
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 134
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 7