Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

TOPIC: Darth Kairnos (Sith Lord in the making)

Darth Kairnos (Sith Lord in the making) 1 year 9 months ago #28294

• Crono
  • Thank you received: 10
OC Sith Juggernaut. Will post progress as it goes.

I started this by looking online at pictures of SWTOR characters, as well as studying a lot of Vader and Malgus cosplays. I started off everything by buying some XXL football pads and began hacking at it with a hacksaw. Went to JoAnns and bought straps to give it some stability.

While I was at JoAnns, I bought some of this black velvet cloth. Felt really nice! I draped it over the pauldrons and nailed them on briefly to see what it would look like. Also made myself an overly large hood.

THE HOOD IS HUGE. If you ever fight a Sith Lord, simply pull his hood down. It will blind him. The hood can go all the way to my neck. I had originally had it smaller, but it didn't look right. I needed it big since the line where I started sewing was there the pauldrons attached to the cape.

I went to Home Depot and found the biggest chain I could. I then linked the attachment points of the cape.

With hood:

Best part. You can throw the cape back to expose the arms, and get increased angles of motion. Great for on the fly dueling. The pauldrons can also be detached easily by simply unclipping the straps (more on this later).

The belt was a combination of a webbing belt with this leather belt I had laying around. Aside from numerous covertech knobs, I also have the mag-lite flashlight holders for blades, a dump pouch for blade plugs and tools, and an allen key tool on a chain for on-the-fly retention screws.

Bought some paintball armor. Here is the armor with belt and pauldrons:

Finally, got myself some arm armor:

Back to what I was saying earlier. The pauldrons can be unstrapped within a few seconds. Just unlatch the straps and slip it off. I can ditch it for a more streamlined, StarKiller look.

Next up is mask and LEDs to the armor, as well as the leg and boots. Also waiting for Saberforge to fulfill my other orders. I've got 4 more sabers on the way that will help with this costume :)

Stay tuned.

EDIT: Can't link to pictures :( Using the img tag properly but pictures not displaying. Help? They are edited to be URLs for now.
Last Edit: 1 year 9 months ago by Crono.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Takamatsu, Jaden Korr, For Tyeth, Eddlyss64, Kheragryn

Darth Kairnos (Sith Lord in the making) 1 year 9 months ago #28298

• Borommakot
  • Platinum Member
  • May the force be with us.
  • Thank you received: 569
Looks fantastic! I'm not sure why the tag for the pics isn't working. If I had to hazard a guess, it'd be because of their source on facebook. Try deleting everything in the image url after the ".jpg". If that doesn't work, then it's less of a headache in the long run just to make an account on imgur or photobucket to host pics.
Last Edit: 1 year 9 months ago by Borommakot.

Darth Kairnos (Sith Lord in the making) 1 year 9 months ago #28302

• For Tyeth
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 926
Hi guys,

Great start to your Cosplay first off and second, the picture file size may be too large, try saving copies of the pics in .jpg format and resize them so they are about 170/180kb (Max) as the forum system doesn't like large files!
Use these resized pics to INSERT by clicking Insert after selecting in the dialogue box.

Step 1. Click add file
Step 2. Select pic file from dialogue box window
Step 3. Click Insert after you close selection window

Finish typing your post and click submit, hopefully this should work!

For Tyeth

Darth Kairnos (Sith Lord in the making) 1 year 9 months ago #28342

• Frozen
  • Thank you received: 4
Looks awesome so far!

Darth Kairnos (Sith Lord in the making) 1 year 9 months ago #28450

• h2soy
  • Curio Collector
  • Thank you received: 382
The following user(s) said Thank You: Filius_Secundus.

Darth Kairnos (Sith Lord in the making) 1 year 9 months ago #28511

• Crono
Thanks for praise. Any and all criticism welcomed (neigh, implored!)

I'm not quite sure how to do the legs. I have some shin armor that I'll probably throw on some black dress pants, but I think my hips may need something. Also have no idea what I'm doing to do for shoes/boots.

Darth Kairnos (Sith Lord in the making) 1 year 9 months ago #28514

• Snakeeyz99
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 188
I would love to see the photos, unfortunately Facebook is blocked at work so I can't see them :P

I think the issue with the embedding is the link format. Try removing everything after ".jpg."

EX:
Change
https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfl1/v/t34.0-12/12463473_10206456659108078_997110168_n.jpg?oh=a02514f000b172ccb80d3e0dbc9bdbde&oe=56855CF1
To
https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfl1/v/t34.0-12/12463473_10206456659108078_997110168_n.jpg
Giving you

Darth Kairnos (Sith Lord in the making) 1 year 9 months ago #28638

• Crono
Still no go. I will resort to some image hosting website. Stay tuned.

Darth Kairnos (Sith Lord in the making) 1 year 9 months ago #28689

• Crono
Pictures are up. What a pain.

Enjoy.

Once the belt is finished with light up LED modules and gauntlets, I will post an update.
Also, looking forward to my mask.

Darth Kairnos (Sith Lord in the making) 1 year 9 months ago #28740

• Snakeeyz99
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 188
That is INSANE! Great job! How heavy is the chain?

Darth Kairnos (Sith Lord in the making) 1 year 9 months ago #28940

• Crono
The chain is heavy. About 4 pounds

Darth Kairnos (Sith Lord in the making) 1 year 9 months ago #28942

• jbeem
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 45
Hey crono those pics are sweet! I have a question for you. You mentioned on the belt you have some kind of "mag lite flashlight holders for blades". What do you mean by that? I've been talking with my wife about what to do with the blades themselves when going to conventions etc. I want them with me for the random walk-by dueling opportunity...yet mostly the hilts would look best hanging from my belt with blade plugs.

If you have some holder you use to hold the blades themselves please let me know more specifically what you're using. Maybe show a picture? This could be the answer i'm looking for!

Thanks!

Darth Kairnos (Sith Lord in the making) 1 year 9 months ago #28943

• Borommakot
  • Platinum Member
jbeem wrote:
Hey crono those pics are sweet! I have a question for you. You mentioned on the belt you have some kind of "mag lite flashlight holders for blades". What do you mean by that? I've been talking with my wife about what to do with the blades themselves when going to conventions etc. I want them with me for the random walk-by dueling opportunity...yet mostly the hilts would look best hanging from my belt with blade plugs.

If you have some holder you use to hold the blades themselves please let me know more specifically what you're using. Maybe show a picture? This could be the answer i'm looking for!

Thanks!

Agreed, some ideas for that would be great. I was thinking about just making an over the shoulder "sheath" out of the same material as my robe to carry the blade in.

Darth Kairnos (Sith Lord in the making) 1 year 9 months ago #28945

• jbeem
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 45
Hey thats a good one borom! I had an idea to install "loops" into the inside of my robe with a little "pocket" at the bottom..just a few inches deep to hold the blade tip. But i'm not very crafty and I'm getting a really nice 100% wool black robe from those twin roses designs people so i'm afraid to mess with something of that high of quality.

Borom, for your sheath, did you mean to have the blades slung behind your back? Or in front of your chest? I only ask because the obvious "back" option would seem a bit awkward while wearing the robe. Thanks

Darth Kairnos (Sith Lord in the making) 1 year 9 months ago #28946

• Borommakot
  • Platinum Member
jbeem wrote:
Hey thats a good one borom! I had an idea to install "loops" into the inside of my robe with a little "pocket" at the bottom..just a few inches deep to hold the blade tip. But i'm not very crafty and I'm getting a really nice 100% wool black robe from those twin roses designs people so i'm afraid to mess with something of that high of quality.

Borom, for your sheath, did you mean to have the blades slung behind your back? Or in front of your chest? I only ask because the obvious "back" option would seem a bit awkward while wearing the robe. Thanks

If I go that route, I'll endeavor to make it work over the back, but if that doesn't turn out, I'll try to create something that goes inside the robes.

Darth Kairnos (Sith Lord in the making) 1 year 9 months ago #29046

• Crono
I'll get pics when I'm home. I can fit three blades in my back underneath the cape and nobody can see it since the cape is low

Darth Kairnos (Sith Lord in the making) 1 year 9 months ago #29370

• Crono
Okay, some updates.

Here is me donning my full gear - excuse the fat, I splurged quite a bit over the holiday break.

And to answer your questions, I am actually wearing a blade in my back. You can't even see it because it's completely behind me. Here is a closeup view:

The blades are being held by Maglite holders. This is right behind the dump pouch you see on the left of the previous picture (my left side).

With the cape, nobody ever knows I'm carrying blades until I want to show off my sabers. I can carry my hilts around with blade plugs until necessary.

Leg guards came in today:

All that remains is the mask. I thought about doing belt and gauntlet addons, but the thing is already incredibly cumbersome. I'm sweating my balls off and it's freezing. I live in Arizona, so Phx CC will be incredibly painful.

Here's what it looks like thus far:

Last Edit: 1 year 9 months ago by Crono.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gaelis

Darth Kairnos (Sith Lord in the making) 1 year 9 months ago #29454

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
  • "Either in belief or doubt, if I lean to one of these sides, my reaction time will be dulled if my heart thinks the opposite of what I choose."
  • Thank you received: 207
Nice! You make cosplays look easy, sir!

Emerald Knight, Chosen, Dark Paladin, Sentinel

Darth Kairnos (Sith Lord in the making) 1 year 9 months ago #29481

• Crono
Forgot to showcase the cloak in back position, exposing the pauldrons:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Filius_Secundus.

Darth Kairnos (Sith Lord in the making) 1 year 9 months ago #29994

• MusicallyInspired
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 77
Gotta say this is pretty incredible. Love the multiple options with cloak over the shoulders or just behind. Spectacular in every sense of the word.
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Saber performance at Walt... (4 Posts)
    • "This weapon is your life, do not lose it:......well i mean you kept the important part?
    • Thanks Darth Squidious! (2 Posts)
    • Edon do you have pics? please post pics
    • Hilt Design Gallery (1200 Posts)
    • The gladius was the design that got me into saberforge, may your saber serve you well!
    • Shoto saber design, ISO i... (31 Posts)
    • I plan on ordering it with the champion assembly package, in which case i believe they seal the...
    • My Grey Jedi Cosplay (9 Posts)
    • I see where you are coming from, it does look very dark, and yeah he does tend to favor the dark...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5837
  • Latest Member: AmbientStudios
  • Total Posts: 60.7k
  • Total Topics: 5037
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 134
  • Today Open: 1
  • Yesterday Open: 4
  • Today Answer: 15
  • Yesterday Answer: 32