Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Designing Phase Discussion (inspiration/critique)

Designing Phase Discussion (inspiration/critique) 1 year 9 months ago #29841

• MusicallyInspired
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 77
If it's ok, I thought I'd make a thread for people who (like me) are still looking into designing a cosplay outfit. Post your sketches, inspirations, find ideas, comment on others' designs, etc.

My sister sketched this out for me with some direction from me. It's what I'm looking into for a Sith character. It's your basic Jedi style but black and grey with a pattern. I'm not sure about the diamond pattern anymore, but I didn't want just plain colours, I wanted it to be a little more interesting. I was kind of thinking of making the black material with "layered folds" going vertically, but I'm not sure how that would look either. I was trying to think of something extra to add like straps or something to not make it so plain. Anyone have any ideas?

Also, for the back tabards/sashes I was thinking of having them come down to points similar to the front sashes but in opposite directions (so pointing outwards instead of inwards I guess).

Here's another pic with ideas we were throwing around.

Post your own ideas!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Designing Phase Discussion (inspiration/critique) 1 year 9 months ago #29852

• xyster
  • Elite Member
  • "my god, it's full of stars"
  • Thank you received: 61
Looks fairly solid to me as is. :cheer:
The diamond pattern is ok but I wouldn't go too decorative on the lower part of the tabard, as it'll drag the eye down towards your boots! You want to guide the looks upward toward the shoulders if anything, and accentuate the size/width on them. Which would tally nicely if you get those back sashes pointing outward. Make sure they don't stick out past the shoulders though. B)

mtfbwy

Designing Phase Discussion (inspiration/critique) 1 year 9 months ago #29865

• Borommakot
  • Platinum Member
  • May the force be with us.
  • Thank you received: 569
That's a really good looking outline, Inspired. The tabard design and slight alterations to the classic Jedi look work great for a character turned from the Light. I'd second Xyster's suggestion, maybe beginning the pattern at/above the obi. I think they look pretty cool protruding a bit past the shoulders, though.

I'm still trying to nail down a color scheme for mine, which is okay, since I don't know how to sew yet. But I'd really like to achieve something that can be convincing as Jedi, rogue/Gray, and Sith/Dark side, though my priority is making something passable as both Jedi and Gray, with the lightsaber being the real distinguishing attribute. This is what I'm looking at right now:

I'm particularly iffy about the pants color.
Last Edit: 1 year 9 months ago by Borommakot.

Designing Phase Discussion (inspiration/critique) 1 year 9 months ago #29899

• MusicallyInspired
  • Platinum Member
Thank you both for your observations! I see what you mean about the lower tabards and the eyes drifting. Is there a particular reason for not having the shoulder points sticking passed the shoulders? I kind of like it. Maybe stick some wire in there to keep it pointed out. I think I may just remove the pattern entirely and just keep the gray border, though. Might look sleeker anyway.

Really like your designs, Borommakot. I see what you mean about the pants colour, but I think it could work if it was kept a darker blue/navy like that. It's one of those colours that can work in all groups.

Designing Phase Discussion (inspiration/critique) 1 year 9 months ago #29905

• xyster
  • Elite Member
  • "my god, it's full of stars"
  • Thank you received: 61
Hi.
I'd definitely have the shoulder points sticking out, but reading your description of the back sashes, i get the image of them hanging out by the backs of the knee. Maybe I'm seeing things wrong :P
Just didn't want you looking like carrying a big X on your back!
Although...That could look pretty menacing. B)

Designing Phase Discussion (inspiration/critique) 1 year 9 months ago #29907

• Borommakot
  • Platinum Member
MusicallyInspired wrote:
Thank you both for your observations! I see what you mean about the lower tabards and the eyes drifting. Is there a particular reason for not having the shoulder points sticking passed the shoulders? I kind of like it. Maybe stick some wire in there to keep it pointed out. I think I may just remove the pattern entirely and just keep the gray border, though. Might look sleeker anyway.
I hope you don't mind, I was curious how it would look with/without the designs, so I messed around with it:

Really like your designs, Borommakot. I see what you mean about the pants colour, but I think it could work if it was kept a darker blue/navy like that. It's one of those colours that can work in all groups.
Good to hear! I think I'll end up just rolling with a separate pair of pants for the "Sith" version, as those are easier to come by than anything else.

Designing Phase Discussion (inspiration/critique) 1 year 9 months ago #29935

• MusicallyInspired
  • Platinum Member
Ah nice! Yeah, I think I like the plain black with gray borders look more. As for the points on the back, I picture them extending to their current length, but just cut up on the insides in the opposite direction as the front like I said. Not as long points maybe either. Just a bit of a pointier look.

Designing Phase Discussion (inspiration/critique) 1 year 9 months ago #29991

• Adrillian
Just thought I would also put up my cosplay Sith outfit I want to make eventually. My brother helped with the color scheme. I originally had it all black with the border a shiny black to show a difference. He thought the red looked better. The arms and hands are a hand wrap type thing. I also couldn't think of what type of footwear to have. I'm not sure if I should have it laced up the front, back, side, or just have a zipper of some sort.

Criticism and thoughts are welcome.

Last Edit: 1 year 9 months ago by Adrillian.

Designing Phase Discussion (inspiration/critique) 1 year 9 months ago #29992

• Borommakot
  • Platinum Member
Aye, red's a winner there. Will the lacing affect your movement, or are you more concerned with the aesthetic?

Designing Phase Discussion (inspiration/critique) 1 year 9 months ago #30014

• Adrillian
Probably just to keep the boots tight and maybe for aesthetic.

Designing Phase Discussion (inspiration/critique) 1 year 9 months ago #30017

• Borommakot
  • Platinum Member
Side's a safe bet, then.

Designing Phase Discussion (inspiration/critique) 1 year 8 months ago #40816

• LordKnyght
  • Thank you received: 4
I am working on one to go with a character I play. He is from Socorro and his tribe has a habit of dressing like pirates. What I am thinking is a long sleeve white pirate shirt with an outfit similar to the character Ren from Pirates of Dark Water.

I think I can make the vest out of a chef coat, with matching pants. Add on two bracers made from scratch, and a royal blue sash. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Jedi, Sith. These things mean nothing to me. All there is, is the Force.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Shoto saber design, ISO i... (29 Posts)
    • I had missed that, thanks. How hard would it be to get a properly sized o-ring over a sealed hilt?
    • You may have missed where I posted it earlier...O-rings can cure what ails you on the cheap.
    • Future customer lol (7 Posts)
    • Thank you all I couldnt resist recording her she was just to cute lol
    • So the store ASP page lists the Gladius body as 4.35 inches, dunno whats going on with the...
    • Hilt Design Gallery (1199 Posts)
    • For Tyeth or anyone for that matter if you see any of my designs and you want to build upon it or...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5837
  • Latest Member: AmbientStudios
  • Total Posts: 60.7k
  • Total Topics: 5036
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 134
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 4
  • Today Answer: 6
  • Yesterday Answer: 32