Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: coustums

coustums 1 year 8 months ago #35376

• Darth_ludacris
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 8
im always seeing posts about cosplays but where do you guys buy the coustums or do u make them
The topic has been locked.

coustums 1 year 8 months ago #35382

• Borommakot
  • Platinum Member
  • May the force be with us.
  • Thank you received: 569
Most of the folks around here seem to make their costumes. There are also some companies popular for making them; there's a list of resources here: https://saberforgeforum.com/forum/cosplay-gallery/143-cosplay-resources

coustums 1 year 8 months ago #35387

• Tuckris
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 47
I tried to make my own cosplay.... It isn't in my wheelhouse. After a few fails at a Jedi Tunic, I ended up researching places online and bought a set from Twin Roses Design because I kept seeing good reviews of their work. They were very professional, and got the shipment out super quick. They even reimbursed me a little bit because their website over estimated shipping.

coustums 1 year 8 months ago #35388

• BrickMacklin
  • Thank you received: 10
Some of us are members of the Rebel Legion and use our sabers with our cosutmes. Most of us make our costumes or pay someone else to.
----
BrickMacklin
RL Luke Skywalker

coustums 1 year 8 months ago #35396

• jbeem
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 45
I second the above poster...Twin Roses Designs.

The black robe in my profile pic is from her and its 100% wool as well as 100% awesome.

It was such high quality I immediately commissioned another order from her to make me a black linen tunic with dark grey tabards and obi also in linen. Now i'll have an awesome "grey jedi" costume.

Twin Roses Design is top notch work and great prices.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tuckris

coustums 1 year 8 months ago #38896

• Tuckris
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 47
You went with the full wool (Ha! A rhyme!) nice. I just went with their cotton twill and it is still an excellent robe.
Darth_Ludacris, here is what my outfit from them looks like (pants and boots are from elsewhere), although jbeem's black robe might be a better choice based on your name.

costumes 1 year 8 months ago #38911

• h5o
  • Thank you received: 11
I never had the desire to put together my own costume. Usually, a mask and coveralls were enough for me. These lightsabers was a factor to wanting a better costume. My journey towards my costume is still progressing. I have been searching for stuff throughout the past year. Here's what I have found and done so far.

I started my costume with just a Sith robe from jedirobeamerica on ebay. I wasn't sure what I wanted but I did know that the dark side is what beckoned to me. It is easier to goto the dark side. This sith robe is big. Like Emperor robe in terms of what it covers. The cloak part of the robe can cover everything and some. The hood when its fully on covers my face easily. I leave it half way and I am staring into the ground and the back portion of the hood kinda drapes behind your head. Very nice look. The robe is very distinct but I needed another item to finish the look between being a wizard costume and a star wars one. I already have a force fx Vader lightsaber but I wanted to try out another lightsaber.

so with the Robe in my possession , I figured a lightsaber would complete my minimalist costume by then. I could go like dark jedi with the robe and saber. I've been reading & researching about custom lightsabers around that time. It led me to saberforge on etsy. The crossguard was a new saber during that time and I went ahead and ordered it knowing Halloween is coming up in a few months.

Halloween approaching I wanted a mask. The only mask I liked was Darth Revan. Searched eBay for a sith mask I liked. Got various results. quality was something I wanted and ebay is kinda hit & miss. I went to etsy and found lionsdendc. Their Revan mask 2 is great. Still mask under hood, I felt I could use it towards this dark jedi costume.

The next piece I got were LARP bracers from ColonialArmory on Etsy. Around this time, I was looking into progressing this dark jedi costume into a Sith Warrior based on the Old Republic videos. Robe, saber, mask already. The one where the Sith transport crashed into the Jedi temple and the transport opens up to reveal many Sith warriors. Yup, that one. My idea was to carry a crossguard with that sith warrior look. When I wear the sith robe and raise my lightsaber, the robe's sleeves kinda show my forearm. I wanted that covered with some forearm armor. After a brief search on etsy, I found the ones I was looking for. Unfortunately, the main armor of the sith warrior was rare and expensive. Plus, it sealed the costume for me once I had the armor. So again thinking for more flexibility in terms of the costume, I decided to go back into the dark jedi clothing where I can have a variety of choices to go with.

I picked up black inspection microfiber gloves from ebay to wear with these bracers. I didnt want to wear just any dark glove. I wanted to hold my lightsaber as close to not wearing gloves as I can. These microfiber inspection gloves not only does that but also keeps my hands just right. I was really getting into this costume.

This led me to Amazon for boots and pants... (and boots n pants... and boots n pants, nbootsnpantsnbootsnpants...lol sorry!) Searched for something near Anakin Skywalker boots. Found them. Boots are high knee. Pants were different. Now when i put on the costume, I was using black jeans. I wanted something lighter and a bit more friendly with air. This ended up being thai yoga fisherman shorts. It was charcoal/grey. Now these were loose, it had a wrap for belt, and these shorts went down to my shins. Thought its perfect with my new boots. Its lightweight and allowed air to circulate under the robe. Really liked it so much I bought a Jedi one in brown/beige just in case. At this time, I really liked were my costume was going again. I wanted to complete the clothed look so I decided to find some sith undergarment but there wasnt going to be time before Halloween for me.

It's Halloween already. I was using black nike or adidas long sleeved microfiber athletic shirts for my top under the robe. Like I said the minimalist costume had me going with what I already had for a bit until I wanted something better. I was wearing the robe all day and night for Halloween. During the day activities with parties, I wanted to take the sith robe off for comfort. Hours in that wasnt anticipated. During the evening, walking and standing around with it wasnt too bad. Air was moving around. Reactions were great and even better when I ignited my saber. Mask, saber, and hooded robe alone was distinct. However after a full day in the sith robe, I was totally drained. I weighed what was good and bad with the costume so far. after some time, i decided its time to move on from the sith robe.

Went back to etsy and found HamptonsJediOutfit. Here I found not only the under tunic but also the hood/cape. By this time, i figured the sith robe was just too big to wear after I got everything. Hood + cape would be nice to wear as I keep the hooded look. A black under tunic and hood/cape would allow me to take off the robe and still be complete in costume.

Since then, I have progressed more into Darth Revan. My following Saberforge orders were with this in mind. So now its just hood/cape, mask, tunic, bracers, gloves, lightsabers, wrapped yoga shorts, boots, and robe. I haven't found the armor I want just yet. I was thinking about using part of the Mandolorian armor set (top) to take care of the chest pieces. With the arrangement and distinct colors, I think it can work.

So, I hope my journey helps you out sorting the costume your looking for. I am content with how far I have gone so far. Thought I could save some money by buying everything separately. I dont like penny pinching for quality though. There are times when I thought I did well. I didnt think I would be like this towards my costume. Definitely, buy the cosplay set if you know what you want. It just saves time and money. I know this now. I guess I will be Darth Revan for the next couple of years until I'm inspired or see an opportunity for another.
The Force existed long before the Jedi and Sith united under the light and dark.
It will be here long after these empires crumble...
Last Edit: 1 year 8 months ago by h5o.

coustums 1 year 8 months ago #38912

• jedi case
  • Thank you received: 2
Etsy has plenty of costumes, some are even made for 501st. I got mine from there and it's phenomenal quality.

coustums 1 year 8 months ago #38925

• jbeem
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 45
To h50 I wanted to just say that personally, I found hamptonsjedioutfitters to be ridiculously overpriced to the point of being offensive. If that isn't an issue for you then by all means do what you will. I can't speak to her quality though her clothing "looks" good. What is listed on her etsy page as materials though says cotton/poly blends which...are not very prized among the costuming world. Again this raises questions as to why the heck she charges such outrageously high prices.

As an alternative, I always point people towards Twin Roses Designs. The woman who makes those costumes is amazing, uses better fabric (my costume being mostly linen) and does it for half the price that hampton charges. When I posted last, I only had the black wool robe from her that is shown in my profile pic. Just recently my full "grey jedi" outfit arrived from her so here are a few pictures of it.

Note that these pictures were taken as I literally took the outfit out of the box she shipped it in so its wrinkled and the tabards aren't pinned in place properly. Still, I was very happy with it and it looks and feels amazing. The grey colors on the tabard and obi are much darker than I was imagining and this actually fits better as a "sith' costume than a "grey jedi" but thats ok. My other outfit which is a cheap chinese costume in white "obi-wan" style so I wanted to eventually have three outfits in total. One for jedi, one for "grey" and one for sith. I could simply get a lighter colored tabard and obi in the future to make this outfit more "grey jedi" and I had originally planned to get an all black tabard/obi to make this outfit my 'sith" costume. I'm not sure which way to go just yet, but regardless, it looks awesome and I can't recommend Twin Roses Designs enough.

Edit: Sideways pictures? Haha I have no clue how to fix this...sorry guys. Hopefully you can still get the point of the look of the costume.
Last Edit: 1 year 8 months ago by jbeem. Reason: Obvious sideways pictures.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eddlyss64
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• New Member Introduction T... (2574 Posts)
    • Hello Major_Tom, Yes the Signature Nameplates! Originally these nameplates were created by Star...
    • Hero Tier ASP "Ventu... (31 Posts)
    • Haha, you must save us from the evil fire nation!
    • New Member Introduction T... (2574 Posts)
    • Hey guys, i was wondering about the character signatures so many of you have. Clicking on them takes...
    • Shoto saber design, ISO i... (32 Posts)
    • Well if it is sealed together then I would simply try and get the right size o rings and put the on...
    • Saber performance at Walt... (4 Posts)
    • "This weapon is your life, do not lose it:......well i mean you kept the important part?

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5838
  • Latest Member: Wingedwolf111
  • Total Posts: 60.7k
  • Total Topics: 5037
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 134
  • Today Open: 1
  • Yesterday Open: 4
  • Today Answer: 19
  • Yesterday Answer: 32