Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Please create a new topic to post your review of the Crystal Reveal Prodigal Son.
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

TOPIC: PS Crystal Reveal Review - Champion Viridium 12W+!

PS Crystal Reveal Review - Champion Viridium 12W+! 1 year 9 months ago #19125

• bro2044
  • Premium Member
  • "Do or do not, there is no try..."
  • Thank you received: 28
Here she is!!!

I just got her, and its taken EVERYTHING in me to not fire up just yet. I always make sure my sabers are fully charged before I power-on now!

Previous sabers owned:

Lightech Industries Hero
Makoto V3 6-color change Starkiller
Makoto ROTJ V3-GX Plus

While I'm waiting for it to charge, I'll give a little background, and then some first impressions of this saber.

About 10 years ago or so, I realized that real-looking saber hilts were a reality, and I found Lightech Industries. They didn't have anything like an ROTJ hilt really, but some basic metal hilts with EL blades. I was happy with it, but it was a soft glow and no sound.

Eventually 3 years ago I got excited about moving on from it when I saw SlothFurnace's famous ROTJ (and Obi-Wan) thin-neck sabers. I saw the crystal chambers and my jaw DROPPED, I was drooling. He said he wouldn't do any runs it was just a gift, and I couldn't afford LDM etc... so I looked elsewhere. I saw SF and US... but I'll be honest the pre-2012 reviews of these 2 companies made me EXTREMELY uneasy about purchasing from them. I eventually decided to go with a Makoto saber, if I couldn't have the ROTJ crystal chamber, then I'd go with the next coolest thing about the SlothFurnace ROTJ... the string-blades!!!

Makoto's Starkiller was a cool option, so I went with it. The V3 was very evenly lit, but the diffusion was kind've MEH to me... had a bit of a corn-cob effect, and the Starkiller itself had a very "put together in a warehouse" feel. The sound was okay, but it always had a light electronic "buzz" behind it. The saber took about 4+ months to receive. I got what I could for my Lightech saber and put it towards it.

So after a couple of years I decided that I saw Makoto doing ROTJ hilts, and I wanted his V4 blade (3-4 strings!!!)... a price was agreed upon, I sold my Starkiller, and I waited... and waited... and waited.... and after 8 MONTHS, I finally was sent a saber that didn't even meet my original order, along with a partial refund. Don't get me wrong, he found a new brighter LED and string up 2 strips for me, and it was pretty dam bright, but it had the wrong sound, no recharge port (had to unscrew and wire through the inside) like I had asked, and the hilt seemed like a re-worked past version of someone else's ROTJ hilt. It was only like 60% aluminum with plastic painted parts. I DID like the accent lights tho! It was sold so I could get my new SF one! I'm not a collector, more of a having "1 of" something novelty type of guy.

Now SF has sent me this ROTJ (SORRY, Prodigal Son....ha!) and I am floored by its build quality. It seems like something so very real. The lightech had similar weight, but no nostalgic SW qualities to draw me to it. Makoto's blades were incredible, but as I learned... in the end, the saber is truly about the hilt. Both Makoto's were unremoveable blades, and super bright or not, without fully appreciating the hilt, I never fell in love with the sabers. This one feels like mine.

I've always been drawn to the ROTJ hilt... the thin-neck, its retro-modern design always called to me more than the bulkier Graflex (even tho I still love that one), and the copper just has a great tone next to shining aluminum. Luke came from nothing, but then learned the ways of the Force, joined the Rebellion, then confronted Vader... once to save his friends, and once as a final stand in hoping for his redemption. His decision after defeating Vader... to deny the Emperor and the dark side while tossing aside his weapon has always stuck with me. Those actions led to Anakin having reason to fight his inner demons and destroy the Emperor himself, and this was the tool Luke built for himself and had by his side as this tale unfolded.

ESB has long been my fav SW film, but this ROTJ saber has always been my favorite, and Saber Forge helped give me that... reality.

okay, still charging!

Pros: This this is gorgeous, shiny and has great weight. The copper is killing me, so much better than a painted area or brass-ish color. The card-slide works really well, and the kill-key was pretty easy to take out. Originally when going over reviews of this, it seemed like the control box card moved rather easily, sliding back and forth possibly too lightly. Thats not the case, it only will slide forward to a certain point, and there's only enough give to allow it to do that, its not going to slide or dangle on its own.

Cons: The black greeblie had come off in shipping I guess, had to super glue that thing back on immediately, got it in the right spot so no biggie there, but always kind've "meh" to receive something with a fallen off part. Also, a couple of the "crystal chamber" rods have a looseness to them thats...odd. I'm not sure if thats just how its designed or if there's anything faulty, but it snaps out wonderfully. Getting it to come back has taken a second or two, but perhaps I just need to get the hang of it. It seemed easier in vids, which bums me out a bit, but then again I've only had it for 10min or so ha!

I haven't turned it on yet, waiting for the green light!

I set the blade in and it fits perfectly. I like the length of the 37" a lot, and it doesn't bother me at all at 5'10" look and reach-wise. Now for moving or swinging I could see it being awkward, but this is for display and cosplay for me. I've love to learn to duel someday, but not with this baby!

I MAY one day soon try out a VV blade just to test a lighter, non-dueling blade out that has killer brightness/diffusion. Thats no knock on SF, just that with this type of saber a V4 is probably a bit heavy for what I'll be using it for.

Also, one day... those control box arrows need to light up! I think they did at one point on previous version(s), and I'm not putting it under Cons because I knew what I was purchasing... but if there's a way to make this THAT much more fantastic and enticing to buyers, its the accent lights!

Be back soon with more pics, and then some video review!!!!!
Last Edit: 1 year 9 months ago by bro2044. Reason: addition
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: harvey415

PS Crystal Reveal Review - Champion Viridium 12W+! 1 year 9 months ago #19130

• Zeddicuus
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 40
Looks real nice, but where is the crystal reveal? Does that piece light up with the LED? I've always kinda wondered.

PS Crystal Reveal Review - Champion Viridium 12W+! 1 year 9 months ago #19131

• bro2044
  • Premium Member
Sorry, still charging it!

Yes, it lights up at the same time as the main LED, but by a smaller inner one I'm guessing.

The only thing bothering me really is closing it back up. It doesnt seem to snap back so easily, but fiddling with it for 10 secs seems to get it.
Last Edit: 1 year 9 months ago by bro2044. Reason: typo
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zane Apex

PS Crystal Reveal Review - Champion Viridium 12W+! 1 year 9 months ago #19133

• Zeddicuus
  • Elite Member
haha wow that looks so cool! I don't think I could stand having a saber being a display piece. I tend to end up swinging mine around on a regular basis, even without the blade I go through the kata I was taught years ago.

Seems kind of odd that the cover would give you some trouble though. Might want to contact SF with that concern, as well as the loose support rods. Might just be the clip is a bit tight?

Either way that looks very cool!

PS Crystal Reveal Review - Champion Viridium 12W+! 1 year 9 months ago #19134

• bro2044
  • Premium Member
oh I'll swing it around quite a bit! Just not gonna duel... well, at least before the warranty is up, haha jk

yeh, I guess I'll have to msg them. It'd be a huge bummer to wait almost 9 weeks just to send it right back, but I'm not sure what the issue is.

PS Crystal Reveal Review - Champion Viridium 12W+! 1 year 9 months ago #19136

• bro2044
  • Premium Member
Charged!!!

The following user(s) said Thank You: smaneesint

PS Crystal Reveal Review - Champion Viridium 12W+! 1 year 9 months ago #19137

• bro2044
  • Premium Member

Attachments:

PS Crystal Reveal Review - Champion Viridium 12W+! 1 year 9 months ago #19138

• Zeddicuus
  • Elite Member
yeah, after seeing those again I will definitely have to get a prodigal son or an exalted. Love that OT look with the thin neck and emitter. Very nice!

PS Crystal Reveal Review - Champion Viridium 12W+! 1 year 9 months ago #19139

• Darth Floyd
  • Premium Member
  • Let the Wookie win
  • Thank you received: 20
Awesome! Can't wait to see it on that stand.

PS Crystal Reveal Review - Champion Viridium 12W+! 1 year 9 months ago #19141

• bro2044
  • Premium Member
Sorry for the multiple posts, for some odd reason I'm having trouble with the thread loading more than 4 pics at a time? It'll just come up with 4 and then the others disappear.

Okay, SO more pros and cons as we go on!

Pros: Its bright and beautiful! Its not as bright as my previous Makoto V3-GX Plus (but how could it be?) ROTJ, however I didn't expect it be... this is 1 BRIGHT LED and those are almost 200 in a string. Once the bottom brightness dims, its just a nice smooth green color all throughout the blade.

The sound is very reactive, this makes me very happy! I will say the normal font kind've rolls and repeats very quickly, only last a few seconds, but its a solid saber sound. The blaster effect noise is only ever so slightly delayed, but not enough to notice outside of the person doing it knowing that they pressed it and THEN it comes a split-second later.

The on-board options are great, although I'm still deciding on a flicker setting! I have the volume on the high setting, and even then I'd be okay with it being louder but thats for another day maybe. Not worried about it, well done SF!

Also, the crystal is great. Its understated and beautiful, and although it doesn't have motorized moving parts and moving lights, its that "powered" novelty that really MAKES this item for me. In the end, I wish it had a different on/off than the saber just for display purposes, but I DO like that it can flicker in the same way as the main LED.

Cons: The grenade section gets warm. Like... if its on for a few minutes it almost gets hot. Its not uncomfortable... and my wife so logically said "well, thats where the LIGHT is coming from, right?" lol. I dunno, it just kind've bothered me HOW warm it got.

I THINK the loose chamber rods may be that way purposefully (its only the thick ones, not the "cone" shaped ones), and I think I'm getting a better feel for the close, but I wish this was smoother. I cna live with it, but I'm hoping eventually I get the feel for it. I'll stop talking about this now!

The blade is heavy and gives a slightly "wobbly" feel. Its not overly apparent, but I can tell its there in that awkward balance.

I will still do a video review along with Champion on-board option tutorial in the next day or so, but this has been a fun few hours! Any cons are just my honest take on some small things, but understand when I say I LOVE this saber!!!!

be back soon! Its nice to have a Review thread for this one! Let me know if anyone has any questions!

PS Crystal Reveal Review - Champion Viridium 12W+! 1 year 9 months ago #19143

• bro2044
  • Premium Member
Darth Floyd wrote:
Awesome! Can't wait to see it on that stand.

I know, right?!!?

I do have to say that when the chamber is revealed, the saber does not stay straight really, so I may not be able to display it "open". The display maker is sending me 2 sets of arms tho, one that will hold it at a wider area, and one at the 7.5" I was asking you about. I'm hoping it'll still work, but if it stays closed always when displayed thats no biggie.

PS Crystal Reveal Review - Champion Viridium 12W+! 1 year 9 months ago #19145

• bro2044
  • Premium Member
Zeddicuus wrote:
yeah, after seeing those again I will definitely have to get a prodigal son or an exalted. Love that OT look with the thin neck and emitter. Very nice!

yup, that Exhalted is gorgeous, LOVE the weathered version of it. If I didn't feel so inclined to go film-based, that would've probably been my purcahse because I bet its great for swinging/movement/dueling!

PS Crystal Reveal Review - Champion Viridium 12W+! 1 year 9 months ago #19149

• bro2044
  • Premium Member

got hilt at around 11.5" (may be diff for crystal version?)

full saber JUST over 47.5"

chamber just under 1" (around .75 or so)

PS Crystal Reveal Review - Champion Viridium 12W+! 1 year 9 months ago #19188

• bro2044
  • Premium Member
More pics

Video coming

PS Crystal Reveal Review - Champion Viridium 12W+! 1 year 9 months ago #19194

• bostonfin
  • Thank you received: 1
congratulations that is nice looking
The following user(s) said Thank You: bro2044

PS Crystal Reveal Review - Champion Viridium 12W+! 1 year 9 months ago #19195

• Zane Apex
  • Thank you received: 5
Nice!

PS Crystal Reveal Review - Champion Viridium 12W+! 1 year 9 months ago #19196

• Zeddicuus
  • Elite Member
Another couple of questions if you will humour me.

How is grip on this for one handed and two handed? Is there enough hilt to get a bit of space between the hands? Does the control box get in the way at all?

PS Crystal Reveal Review - Champion Viridium 12W+! 1 year 9 months ago #19198

• bro2044
  • Premium Member
Zeddicuus wrote:
Another couple of questions if you will humour me.

How is grip on this for one handed and two handed? Is there enough hilt to get a bit of space between the hands? Does the control box get in the way at all?

I find the grip to be great honestly. Swinging is a bit different with the box, but it can be done and probably learned to do relatively well. ONE thing I noticed and I'll go over it in my vid review (posting tomorrow) is that the control box is NOT centered on the body. It's purposefully slightly off, and the only reason I can think is when watching SF review vids where they talk about changes to the control box so it is more comfortable to the hand.

I would probably rather 2 hand this, but that's also because of the weight of that 37" blade.

Thinking about that VV blade.... lighten it up and easier to carry for cosplay.

PS Crystal Reveal Review - Champion Viridium 12W+! 1 year 9 months ago #19200

• bro2044
  • Premium Member
And yes, there's good space between the hands. I was surprised at the size of this, because it's bigger than my Makoto ROTJ, but not by a LOT, it's just meatier, but still very slim with great thin-neck. I wish I had measured my previous to compare, but I just know this feels a lot better to handle the way the hilt is made.

PS Crystal Reveal Review - Champion Viridium 12W+! 1 year 9 months ago #19202

• Zeddicuus
  • Elite Member
aaaah thanks for answering my questions!
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

• yellow FoC with tri-cree/... (5 Posts)
    • Thanks for the tips, everyone. I ordered both a pR/pR/Lime and a pR/pR/W (warm white, 2700K). I'll...
    • My First Comic Con (12 Posts)
    • Hi Takamatsu, You are famous as far as I'm concerned! And it was a pleasure to meet you....
    • The Wait Begins 4.0 (742 Posts)
    • Quote: One my my sabers just shipped. Ordered on 6/8 and shipped 6/27. That's pretty darn fast! Just...
    • Bossk - Warning - LOTS OF... (33 Posts)
    • Following on from my meeting with For Tyeth at a recent Comic Con I thought I'd post a quick update....
    • My First Comic Con (12 Posts)
    • Hi For Tyeth, it was great meeting you in person and seeing your Bossk inspired lightsaber in the...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5268
  • Latest Member: JanieLaf
  • Total Posts: 56.2k
  • Total Topics: 4693
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 0
  • Today Answer: 2
  • Yesterday Answer: 15