Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Please create a new topic to post your review of the Exile.
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: V3 Exile SF|Story so far. Pt III

V3 Exile SF|Story so far. Pt III 8 months 2 weeks ago #67547

• OvrcAHst
  • War. Mostly Dark, Often Grey, Sometimes Light
  • Thank you received: 1601

Grey Weathered Exile 12Watt+ Lime Green

This third of the Series, rounds off the V3 Finished Hilts with my SF Collection (taking a pass on Reliant). I really have no idea what the V3 Finish actually is (now with three) as what started with V3 Avenger that then went V3 Juggernaut has a third incarnation of an unknown weathering process that is very different from the previous two. SFCS will have me believe that it’s a lighter weathering compared to V2 but consistently inconsistent, I dunno. Unlike V2 that has been verified as Black anodise and stripped on a spinning lathe, maybe V3 is painted, chemically treated or something completely different. It shall remain a mystery.

Mostly fine in its assembled result, solid feel and handling and what it does have going for it is a coarse, semi-abrasive surface that isn’t smooth as compared to V2s. It certainly adds to gloveless handling and prevents grip-slip. Some minor criticisms but sees improvement from the others. A pleasant inclusion.

Some Specs and Measurements:
Quad Cree 12Watt+ Lime Green| Champion Tier| Sabercore2.0 Crimson Font| Brass Accessories (Blade Plug, aluminium knurled kill key*, Covertech)| Silver AV, White-Lit**| Grey Weathering Finish.
*Yep, still getting them. :huh:
**Opting for White-lit AVs is usually consistent to when I Order QCs. This was an overlooked admin note that saw it included as well (with the others) when it should have excluded this one specifically.

Hilt Length: 294mm
Blade Socket Depth: 56mm
Emitter Diameter: 40.72mm
Switch Diameter: 40.49mm
Body Diameter: 34.84mm
Pommel Diameter: 39.43mm

Weight: 519 grams

Balance (from Pommel to POI): 154mm
Balance (from Pommel to POI) 26”: 276mm
Balance (from Pommel to POI) 32”: 310mm
Balance (from Pommel to POI) 37”: 354mm

Last Edit: 8 months 2 weeks ago by OvrcAHst.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

V3 Exile SF|Story so far. Pt III 8 months 2 weeks ago #67548

• OvrcAHst
Exile with its Finish, assembly and feel within grip is everything I wanted (expected) V3 Avenger to be. This Hilt with similar accent greeblies and Emitter is actually the preferred choice. Due to the noticeable diameter transition from the switch section to the Body it tends to limit single handed wield to a hammer style (similarly to Reborn with its curved spines) with high-grip around the switch fighting for a comfortable sweet-spot. With the flaring of the switch and up from the body and down, I can’t help but imagine what it’d be like holding a stick-grenade before it is launched towards the opposition.

The first five images demonstrates the brilliance of the Lime Green LED through the Infinity V4 and continues its run with Day Green, Day Yellow & Day Amber.

The remarkable quality about colour manipulation through the assistance of Day Blades actually creates a 3 coloured Saber without advancing to a Hero Tier and with the acceptance of a single Font Board without the ability to edit your own. Quick Connects were confirmed as Not Available for this Saber by SFCS (for reasons I still remain confused about*) but can readily achieve a standard Green, stock Lime Green and a complete shift to Amber. Tick, Tick, Tick.

*QC’s are not available as an upgrade Listing and not available in general for this Hilt because ‘apparently’ the LED Module sits too far down the Hilt’s Body to enable the connection (and subsequent removal) to be made. Funny really, because this so-called restrictive passageway and restriction in general certainly makes it okay for Sinister Prophecy to have Quick Connects. The SPs long narrow worm of a tunnel holds the LED Module even further back than Exile. It also doesn’t sit much lower than other Hilts with QCs available or deemed difficult with accessibility like Apprentices? I guess it really comes down to who the metaphorical Pilot is at the cockpit of which Ship that needs to strategically navigate their way out of a tight and damp spot. :dry:

Grey Weathering. Definitely done different each time. The charge Port has a slightly raised seating edge and the cut-out revealing the sub-section of the Hilt (switch shroud) hasn’t been executed with the greatest precision. Odd for CNC machined parts because it appears to be done by an unsteady hand.

I remain a little confused with the orientation that this Hilt is supposed to adopt. Unless I’m alone with this thought, but design elements aside, when you see a Hilt and reach for it, your grip will naturally find its handling origins. Dictated by the Covertech, this Exile seems confused, which in-turn makes me (the wielder) equally confused. It’s kinda like reaching for a Pistol without thinking and expecting the barrel to be pointed away from you only to look down at what’s in hand and suddenly be conscious that the barrel’s pointing at yourself, backwards.

There is a slight off-centred alignment with the Pommel vents on the vertical axis (reminiscent of V1 Bastion). There is also the chosen location of the blade retention setscrew to the AV and charge Port. Conclusions are ordinarily made that the drilled switch holes are topside. If this is the case, the blade retention setscrew would see better undisturbed aesthetics repositioned 180 degrees to the underside.
The decorative Red and Black tab greeblies share the same side as the Covertech, which, would ordinarily be interpreted as the underside. Could it have worked with either the Red or Black greeblies double as the blade retention screw? Likely. This unique delivered version differs greatly from the Site representation where the AV and charge Ports sit topside with the two greeblies either end. :huh?:

Twin Lime Greens. Exile and V1 Justicar.

V3 Exile SF|Story so far. Pt III 8 months 2 weeks ago #67549

• OvrcAHst

From the Sites reference Image illustrating the differences between V2 & V3 Finishes using Reliant. I am still not any closer to understanding V3 against all 3. In person, they are each very different to the other and not just by Hilt Type. Avenger is extremely light as a V3 to V2, but then Exile is equally dark to a V2 with Juggernaut kinda floating in between. V3 for now may as well be known as V(ersion Production-Temp)3(rd un-trialled attempt). A Trainee set loose to do whatever they want.

Unsure if I’ll do any mods to this Hilt, possibly stripping away the weathering on the switch & emitter shrouds and polish, to effectively create a Dual Toned finish similar with V1 but accented with a brown contrast instead of the black. Right now, the finish seems flooded with a muddy bath and isn’t optimally highlighting character or distinction.

Thanks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brax, Execute66

V3 Exile SF|Story so far. Pt III 8 months 2 weeks ago #67552

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 492
OvrcAHst wrote:

Right now, the finish seems flooded with a muddy bath and isn’t optimally highlighting character or distinction.

Congratulations on another unique addition.

English is not my personal best; was your final sentence suggesting an indifferent feel to the gray weathering on this Exile?
"I am the Senate"
The following user(s) said Thank You: OvrcAHst

V3 Exile SF|Story so far. Pt III 8 months 2 weeks ago #67553

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 492
OvrcAHst wrote:
I really have no idea what the V3 Finish actually is (now with three) as what started with V3 Avenger that then went V3 Juggernaut has a third incarnation of an unknown weathering process that is very different from the previous two. SFCS will have me believe that it’s a lighter weathering compared to V2 but consistently inconsistent, I dunno. Unlike V2 that has been verified as Black anodise and stripped on a spinning lathe, maybe V3 is painted, chemically treated or something completely different. It shall remain a mystery.

Sorry to quote again, I was just reading parts afresh and again to better understand the point. Isn't grey weathering not meant to be a replica of another? "Consistently inconsistent" would be very much what I would expect (and want to expect) from grey weathering, or almost any degree of weathering. "Wear and tear" in the elements and during battle differ between sabers in our SW Universe.
"I am the Senate"

V3 Exile SF|Story so far. Pt III 8 months 2 weeks ago #67561

• HotRod
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 343
I definitely like this finish the best of the 3 you've shown. It also sounds like this Saber was overall successful, other than a few little tid bits here and there.

I would agree with you that the omission of the quick connect option is puzzling indeed.

- RGBA+ Monarch, FW Epoch, Juggernaut, Exhalted

V3 Exile SF|Story so far. Pt III 8 months 2 weeks ago #67563

• SuUpberSith
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 101
Hey bud, given you've bought a damned ton of sabers, any chance you can give SF an overall review? It would be helpful for us and SF if we knew all the strengths and where some improvement is needed. In reality it would be cool if all who have more than around 8 sabers gave an summary of their overall exp
Rev-N Elite VV, Dark Ardent VV
Monarch SF, Reborn SF
Weathered Dark Acolyte VV
Korbanth, Graflex, K4
Tempest Elite VV

V3 Exile SF|Story so far. Pt III 8 months 2 weeks ago #67582

• OvrcAHst
Execute66 wrote:
Congratulations on another unique addition.
English is not my personal best;
Funny, ' cos your articulation by text and Video has been easy to understand to-date or do you mean my description wasn't exercised at its best leading to the vagueness by interpretation? :lol:
was your final sentence suggesting an indifferent feel to the gray weathering on this Exile?
Not the feel, measure of appearance only. Pick up something from a mud bath, one colour, less contrast, kinda one dimensional.
Sorry to quote again,
or you could have just edited your previous Post? :whistle:
I was just reading parts afresh and again to better understand the point. Isn't grey weathering not meant to be a replica of another? "Consistently inconsistent" would be very much what I would expect (and want to expect) from grey weathering, or almost any degree of weathering. "Wear and tear" in the elements and during battle differ between sabers in our SW Universe.
Right. It's not meant to be an exact copy just like how V2s are weathered 'slightly' different from one to the next. The inconsistency is the method of application applied. You select a V2 from Site and what you come to expect is a dark weathered Hilt with randomly effected circular swirl patterns. Specific to V3 (well, my 3) SF simply states that Gray weathering is light weathering (which then suggests their V2 is medium weathering). All three appear to have been done differently and not just limited to the random effects of the light/heavy/blurred/defined circular stripped ring pattern.

Avenger has the coarse surface feel and texture (consistent with chemically reacted metal i.e. think of acid etching and left in its raw state) that affects the aluminium resulting in a brittle feel. If you're handy in the kitchen, think of poorly executed tempered chocolate. Doesn't have the smoothness associated with it and cracks under little stress.
Juggernaut just has a grainy texture resulting from the paint used. Think matte-painted surfaces or non-oil based paints.
Exile, different again. Looks to have been done using similar methods how a V2 is done but just a different colour instead of the black anodise. The completed result just looks to be a different coloured V2 than what the V3s are perceived to be.

Wear 'n tear and aging is one thing, if it underwent custom weathering to achieve a specific condition. When you Order a Standard Finish, you have come to expect brushed silver accented by black anodise. If you received say an all frosty silver with media blasting and accenting brushed silver contrary to the expected DT, it'd raise questions. Order a V2 and you expect a relatively dark Hilt (not black) with random effects of the swirling pattern but remains quite consistent e.g. My V2 Chosen and how it was pictured next to V2 Forsaken. V3? don't know what to expect. 'spose I could Order a V3 Reliant or a duplicate V3 Hilt of the three I have just to see but I don't wanna.

HotRod wrote:
I definitely like this finish the best of the 3 you've shown. It also sounds like this Saber was overall successful, other than a few little tid bits here and there.
Thanks HotRod. :lol: 'spose you're right, successfully finished from a successful delivery has become a rare occurrence that I may not know how to recognise it. :lol: But you know, it still doesn't address the greeblie/switch positions confusion. Granted other Reviews are older (much like possibly the site images) but all that I've seen don't have them opposing unless it was say a Custom build? :huh:
I would agree with you that the omission of the quick connect option is puzzling indeed.
I suck at puzzles too. Maybe you can solve the riddle? :whistle:

SuUpberSith wrote:
Hey bud, given you've bought a damned ton of sabers, any chance you can give SF an overall review?
And here I thought SaberForge Forum moonlighted as an Online Virtual Sabers Anonymous Site!? :lol: However Yes, I have a problem. I buy a ton of sabers and thank you for highlighting that observation to my attention by starting this intervention of yours. :blush: Perhaps I should curb my shares and fade away from the foreground. As for an overall Review? Thought this was more a product Review place for fellow enthusiasts rather than a Company Review?
It would be helpful for us and SF if we knew all the strengths and where some improvement is needed.
I can't recognise how it would benefit the collective us since (I'd like to believe) my Reviews are quite transparent already with observations and criticisms including negative and positive. The Reviews are specific to what I receive and unless each and every saber that comes from SF is exact to the one before it (and before that), the conclusions would be a biased judgement. Besides, it's an accepted fact that SF doesn't patrol this Forum, so any feedback commenting on their strengths, weakness, opportunities and threats wouldn't achieve any traction in this platform. An email to SFCS maybe, but it becomes lost in the system. B)
In reality it would be cool if all who have more than around 8 sabers gave an summary of their overall exp
I like to believe I do that already on an individual basis. I don't conclude my Reviews with a numerical rating system though. My measures of value will be very different to another's. It isn't a regulated industry or is there regulation as a consensus with scoring. What is my cup of tea or isn't shouldn't influence another into buying (or not buying). Let them experience it for themselves. Recall the last time a mate/friend told you to go an see a particular Movie because it is frickin awesome and it turned out it wasn't? :P

V3 Exile SF|Story so far. Pt III 8 months 1 week ago #67902

• CrimsonJax88
  • Premium Member
  • Dutch guy living in Norway!
  • Thank you received: 73
Didn't much care for the design of this type of saber until I saw your hilt - dunno, but something about the Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan Episode I lightsabers just irks me wrong and although I love Quinlan Vos as a character, his saber didn't really do it for me.
Now with weathering and that beautiful lime green however, I might reconsider for somewhere in the future.
Thanks as always for your in-depth review and awesome photos :D
For my ally is the Force - and a powerful ally it is!
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• PS-Luke V2 WIP (15 Posts)
    • Quote: Finish Mock up, Now waiting on Silver Heat Sink. OH and I found me a Knurled Cone Knob..yay!... [attachment] [attachment] [attachment] ...
    • Saber Selfies (286 Posts)
    • Normally when I watch videos like this its because someone hurts themselves or their friend who...
    • I got a hankering for one of these. A bad one! :evil:
    • Themed Sabers (806 Posts)
    • Quote: I call it, The Mean One. [image] [image]...[image] Hi Ran,...
    • Oh nice! I'm bookmarking them! Thanks bud!

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5220
  • Latest Member: berameste
  • Total Posts: 55.9k
  • Total Topics: 4659
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 0
  • Today Answer: 4
  • Yesterday Answer: 14