Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Please create a new topic to post your review of the Fury.
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Hero RGBA Weathered Fury

Hero RGBA Weathered Fury 1 year 10 months ago #41265

• Snakeeyz99
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 188
I've finally received my first Saber Forge lightsaber! Before today I'd only owned the cheap extendo Hasbro toys and an Anakin and Obi Wan ForceFX saber, so I am really excited! Take the review with a grain of salt: I've only dueled with a foil before and I do not know how to spin, but since there's only 3 reviews for the Fury I hope my input is valuable.

Out of the Saberforge.com lineup (at the time I didn't pay too much attention to the Etsy page) the Fury called to me at the most. Even though I consider myself more of a Jedi, the lightsabers I sketched in the margins of my notebooks from 4th grade to senior year at college most resembled the Fury; I love the split shroud, the pommel and the handle on this model. Since this is my first saber of hopefully many I wanted the RGB function to more easily visualize the colors I would order later. Also in my lineup is an empty ASP hilt that I plan to wire up myself.

The Process

I placed my order on September 24th, 2015 with an estimated wait time of 12-14 weeks at the time of order. This was in the advent of Episode 7, the launch of ASP preorders, and the rapid expansion of Saberforge from ~21 people to 40-60, so the long wait was understandable. I lurked the forums until December 8th, when I received my official shipping notice.

For those unfamiliar with the process, Saberforge at the time of ordering did not have a streamlined shipping process. You would wait until it came time for your saber to enter the build queue, then a few weeks later (projected 20-25 business days at time of order) your saber would actually ship. At this point you could track it on the USPS website to see your saber actually get moving. On December 15th my saber entered preshipment status on USPS, meaning my saber's shipping label was printed.

Then Saberforge made the news.

Sometime around the time my saber entered shipping status, Saberforge's website went down due to a surge of publicity. A server capacity upgrade was performed, but the server was reverted to an older backup. Suddenly a lot of sabers were back to "confirmed" status with the advice to check the old website though a separately hosted IP. My guess is that, somewhere in this restoration, my saber was caught in the limbo between the build queue and being confirmed. Either that or it was caught in the batch of 150+ sabers 'lost' in transit by a USPS worker.

On my calendar, I slowly ticked off all of my 'worst case scenario' dates (each from a different interpretation of the shipping process). On January 20th I sent an email to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. concerning the order (though email wait times here were reduced to 1 week because of delay complaints). On January 25th I received a response apologizing for my delayed order and offering me a 20% discount and free t-shirt on my next order (which I intend to make!). It also said that all delayed sabers would enter rushed production the following week.

PS- thanks for the help, Melissa! I didn't want to reply to your email on account of the backup, but I appreciate your help.

On February 8th my saber left Portland, and on February 10th my package arrived at my small Connecticut town. Unfortunately I was not able to sign for my saber, so my mom gave me a hand by picking it up on her way to work the next day (I needed to get to work an hour away by 8 and the post office didn't open til 8:30, go figure). That evening, on week 20 after I place my order, I finally got my Fury.

I originally had the remainder of the post filled with pictures, but that doesn't work anymore so here's an album.

The Toblerone

Possibly one of the last Toblerones sent out, depending on when the changeover from USPS occurs. It was a bit banged up and looks like it was opened at some point, so I held my breath. Everything was there, luckily. My saber, the saber stand, the blade, and the charger were all present.

It really is a thing of beauty. No major weathering imperfections, a perfect weight, and a nice, easy grip with either one or two hands. My only issue is that the two prongs on the shroud are uneven, but even that isn't noticeable unless you look for it. As someone 6' 5" tall the 37" blade is perfect- though the colors do fade out a bit at the end. Blame the RBGA in conjunction with the longer blade.

No elaborate description here; the saber speaks for itself.

The pommel unscrewed nice and easily, giving easy SD card access. My fingers are large so to eject it I need to use a small tool, but otherwise very good! The black goo to protect the solder joints was new to me, but it makes perfect sense to have it.

I had to use a file on the very tip to reduce the pointiness of the shroud, since it stabbed me when I reached for the saber. I won't post pictures, but it was a fairly small cut that went a bit deeper than I originally thought. It scabbed over within a few minutes, so nothing too bad, but I wish I'd thought to check sooner.

Other than that, my saber stand came with only 3 screws so I'm going to head out to the store to buy a replacement soon. I thought the whole assembly would be made of metal, but it's actually a nice, lightweight plastic. I am a bit worried that it'll break, though.

Closing

I spent all weekend screwing with the LED settings and making a custom sound font (me making a bunch of wooshes and pews into my computer's mike). Despite the few issues I had with shipping, I would not hesitate to make my order again. It is an extremely high quality product, it has a lot of versatility, and- most importantly- it feels real. The blade feels natural, with more strength behind it that you would expect (I broke so many things playing with it so far). It's exactly the type of weapon a Jedi or Sith would use- symbolic and largely unassuming, but with an unexpected strength.

Beware this Fury, for it is a Jedi's Fury.

You'd best start running.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Greysider, For Tyeth, Eddlyss64, CallMeMistaJ, RyanRising

Hero RGBA Weathered Fury 1 year 10 months ago #41267

• Greysider
  • Platinum Member
  • "I am not your kind. I do not feed off vengeance. I am a Jedi." - Quinlan Vos
  • Thank you received: 359
Beautiful saber Snakeeyz99. Awesome colors and your pics are very nice. Congratulations on such a fine purchase.
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU

Hero RGBA Weathered Fury 1 year 10 months ago #41270

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1478
Congrats man! Sounds like a saber that found its owner, rather than the other way around!
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....

Hero RGBA Weathered Fury 1 year 10 months ago #41283

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1478
Borommakot wrote:
Great review! Do we know why pics/links have been reduced?

If you mean the size of pics allowed to be posted here, in actuality it was just increased from under 500k, up to about 750k. As Knytiri said, not a huge increase, but an increase none the less. B)
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....

Hero RGBA Weathered Fury 1 year 10 months ago #41295

• Borommakot
  • Platinum Member
  • May the force be with us.
  • Thank you received: 569
As penance for a paltry response, I wanted to add that besides being a great review, that custom blue and orange you did look phenomenal. I imagine it's the background, but the white at the end looks strangely purple to me.

Hero RGBA Weathered Fury 1 year 10 months ago #41318

• Snakeeyz99
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 188
Yeah, a lot of the colors on the saber that should be even have a purplish hue to them in person (though it stands out a bit more in the picture). I'll try to see if I can get a truer white tonight by fiddling around with the R+B strengths.

The picture background is the brownish back of a panel of sheet rock (doing some home improvement ATM), so I may be able to turn it around tonight to get a nice, even white background for the colors.

Hero RGBA Weathered Fury 1 year 10 months ago #41325

• For Tyeth
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 983
Hi Snakeeyz99,

Congrats on your new arrival!

Great looking Saber first off, but am loving those colours. The 100% Blue and 100% Green are awesome, but the custom Orange and Purple are something above awesome. The goop (probably hot glue of some kind or epoxy) is a nice touch and will reinforce the solder joints, providing stress relief on the wiring. A great addition SF.
The hilt itself is a beauty too, those AV switches and recharge port look well seated and solid. Now how about a Selfie?

I hope this Saber serves you long and we'll into the future,

For Tyeth
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• New Member Introduction T... (2648 Posts)
    • Quote: Hey all, Brian here from New Jersey. NJ you say? What a coincidence... Question: When someone...
    • Saber Blade Question (2 Posts)
    • No. The "thin neck blade" is a 1" blade and will not fit into the Youngling saber. The only...
    • Sacrifice. (14 Posts)
    • Was going to say that I'm not fond of the glorification of weapons (referring to the shotgun)...
    • "Solo" Millenni... (3 Posts)
    • "all these changes".. there's a smaller gun, smaller sat dish and different paint job.. For all we...
    • "Solo" Millenni... (3 Posts)
    • Honestly I think it looks really sharp and nice the way it is for this upcoming movie, it does...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6404
  • Latest Member: Morganstanely
  • Total Posts: 63.6k
  • Total Topics: 5386
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 136
  • Today Open: 3
  • Yesterday Open: 6
  • Today Answer: 34
  • Yesterday Answer: 52