Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Darth Bane: Path of Destruction

Darth Bane: Path of Destruction 10 months 2 weeks ago #64679

• Mystic
  • Thank you received: 12

I found this at the bookstore and since I was never interested in the Legends continuity previously I decided to pick it up and give it a chance. I was not disappointed. Honestly it's a great novel and I think everyone should read it. Can't wait to read the next two novels!

p.s. something I happened to notice is that the description of the thought bombs power kind of reminds me of the Sith weapon that Maul tried to use in the season 2 finale of Rebels. It's probably something else but just something that caught my attention.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Darth Bane: Path of Destruction 10 months 2 weeks ago #64684

• Roger Redux
  • Premium Member
  • There is no Ignorance - There is Knowledge, There is no Fear - There is Power, I am the Heart of The Force, I am the revealing fire of Light, I am the Mystery of Darkness, *
  • Thank you received: 38
Yeah, the whole trilogy is really good. They're among my favorite Star Wars novels.

If you're open to other suggestions for after the Bane Trilogy, I'd also recommend Drew Karpyshyn's SWtOR tie-in novel "Revan" and Timothy Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy ("Heir to the Empire", "Dark Force Rising", and "The Last Command" in that order).

Also "Death Star" by Michael Reaves and Steve Perry is a good stand alone, although I have the feeling that Rogue One will render it even more non-cannon than it already is now. Still a good read. (Though you might want to re-watch A New Hope before you start reading it)
* In Balance with Chaos and Harmony, Immortal in The Force
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mystic

Darth Bane: Path of Destruction 10 months 2 weeks ago #64713

• Mystic
I've already started the Thrawn Trilogy (graphic novel version though) and all I need is Last Command now. I was wanting to read Revan but I wasn't sure if I should play KOTOR or not first since I need a new computer to play those. Do you think I'll be fine reading it without playing the games or would it be better if I played those first?

Darth Bane: Path of Destruction 10 months 2 weeks ago #64718

• Snakeeyz99
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 188
I would say to play KotOR 1 and The Sith Lords before reading Revan otherwise some stuff will be confusing... using the restored content mods will also clarify on the plot of those games too. You shouldn't need to play The Old Republic MMO first, but I think there may be some spoilers about the Jedi Knight plotline in there if you planned on playing it anyway.

In terms of legends Plagueis is also good. I would also recommend Tarkin and Lords of the Sith too, but those are actually canon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mystic

Darth Bane: Path of Destruction 10 months 2 weeks ago #64734

• Roger Redux
  • Premium Member
  • There is no Ignorance - There is Knowledge, There is no Fear - There is Power, I am the Heart of The Force, I am the revealing fire of Light, I am the Mystery of Darkness, *
  • Thank you received: 38
Mystic wrote:
I've already started the Thrawn Trilogy (graphic novel version though) and all I need is Last Command now. I was wanting to read Revan but I wasn't sure if I should play KOTOR or not first since I need a new computer to play those. Do you think I'll be fine reading it without playing the games or would it be better if I played those first?

The graphic novel is pretty faithful to the books, but I think they cut quite a bit out for length.
Let me put it this way I've never played any of the games, but I'd been familiar with the character from reading a bit about him on Wookieepedia and his brief appearances in the KotOR comic series, and I didn't have any real problems with the book. I just that assumed anything I didn't immediately get was a refference to something that happened in the games. But I still thoroughly enjoyed the book on its own.

Snakeeyz99 wrote:
In terms of legends Plagueis is also good. I would also recommend Tarkin and Lords of the Sith too, but those are actually canon.
YES! Darth Plagueis, was also a fantastic book. I haven't gotten around to Tarkin yet, but it's been on my list since I heard about it.
Another good one is Kenobi, which I'm honestly not sure if it was the first book of the 'new cannon' or one of the last stand alone 'Legends' books.
* In Balance with Chaos and Harmony, Immortal in The Force

Darth Bane: Path of Destruction 10 months 4 hours ago #65818

• MusicallyInspired
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 77
I'm listening to the unabridged audiobook of book 1 right now and I'm really enjoying it myself!

Darth Bane: Path of Destruction 9 months 3 weeks ago #66241

• MusicallyInspired
  • Platinum Member
Just finished the unabridged Darth Bane Trilogy audiobooks. Wow. Incredible. Fantastic stories. I like how each book has its own story, yet they're all linked together. I love the Thrawn trilogy. It's probably still my favourite so far, but that trilogy was a continuous story that didn't really change. These books were almost self-contained, yet benefit greatly from back-to-back reading. And that ending, though!!!! Wow. Don't know what to think. Very extremely well written/told though. That final showdown was intense and I was on the edge of my seat/feet/whatever as I was listening to it at work.

My only problem is that at no point do the Jedi get wind of the "rule of two." So how in the world do Yoda and the Jedi of the Clone Wars era know about it?? Small qualm. Amazing stories.

Now back to Survivor's Quest.
Last Edit: 9 months 3 weeks ago by MusicallyInspired.

Darth Bane: Path of Destruction 9 months 2 weeks ago #66382

• Mystic
That's great to know you enjoyed the trilogy. Once i finish this other non-Star Wars book I'm reading I'll start Rule of Two. Maybe there's some point between this trilogy and the start of the movies where the Jedi start learning more about the Rule of Two. I'm not super familiar with the Legends continuity at all so something like that I would just write off as me not being that far into Legends lol. I can't wait to finish off this trilogy now :cheer:

Darth Bane: Path of Destruction 9 months 2 weeks ago #66388

• Snakeeyz99
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 188
The best lead I have for the Jedi identifying the Rule of Two is Kibh Jeen, a dark Jedi who discovered the Rule of Two but was largely ignored as a madman. I need to look into him a bit more, but this seems like something Yoda (who would've been about 700 years old) would pick up on as a possibility. At this point he would have been on the Council for at least 600 years, so it's possible if he took notice to it the Council would believe the Rule of Two to be the most probable structure of the Sith.
Last Edit: 9 months 2 weeks ago by Snakeeyz99. Reason: Grammar

Darth Bane: Path of Destruction 9 months 2 weeks ago #66437

• MusicallyInspired
  • Platinum Member
Somebody mentioned this to me as well since. That's a decent explanation. Sounds a bit shoehorned and seems to change the context of that line from Ep1, but I'll take it. Sometimes there's not much else you could have done in the EU anyway. It's worth it for having that as a plot point; the Sith having survived in secret for so long. So well written, these books.
Last Edit: 9 months 2 weeks ago by MusicallyInspired.

Darth Bane: Path of Destruction 9 months 2 weeks ago #66438

• Pedrias
  • Rule through fear of the force rather than force itself
  • Thank you received: 8
Great read, loved the development of Bane in this story. Looking forward to finishing the rest of the trilogy myself!

Darth Bane: Path of Destruction 2 months 2 weeks ago #74372

• Master_Woe
Hey i´ve just finished darth bane trilogy and now im looking for something like that but jedi version, is there a book like that? or could you recommend something similar?
There is passion, yet peace
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• FS: SaberForge Fallen (5 Posts)
    • Folks, The Fallen is one sweet saber, especially the way this one has been equipped! $400 is an...
    • Dark Brown Leather Wraps (2 Posts)
    • I have the dark brown wrap on my Gladius. Here's a pic for comparison. Hope it helps you out. I...
    • Custom Phoenix (7 Posts)
    • Awesome! Love that blade plug. Welcome back NeBosa! :)
    • Korbanth Dv6- it is point... (1 Posts)
    • So this was my weekend relaxation project this week, I scored this on EBay for 190, which included a...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5267
  • Latest Member: Maniax001
  • Total Posts: 56.1k
  • Total Topics: 4693
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 3
  • Today Answer: 1
  • Yesterday Answer: 13