Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

TOPIC: Veteran USA | Weathered w/QC DR/Y LEDs

Veteran USA | Weathered w/QC DR/Y LEDs 3 weeks 4 days ago #89065

• OvrcAHst
  • Thank you received: 1915
This is Nova.
Skip ahead to the re-imagined SuperNova here.
One of the few New that formed part of the Apprentice Line’s recent expansion.

There’s a greater appreciation for the smaller hilts, light in its weight, sturdy in its construction and really very comfortable to wield. The design aesthetics held solid appeal from the symmetrical flanged emitter, the milled slots for shine through, restrained use of accent cues to promote detailing.
A well rounded saber.

Quick Connect LEDs in Deep Red and Yellow, fitting colours for the weathered finish.
Deep Red ‘cause Why Not? And ‘cause when going Red, it’s gotta be Deep.

Not a great degree of difficulty with swapping out the LED modules, any more so (including Elites) than usual when trying to strategically feed the joined connectors back into the blade holder. Takes a little getting used to (again) but as long as you don’t force it (you can gauge by feel any resistance) it reaches the point as far as it will go before needing the assistance of the provided blade plug to finish it off – to optimally align the modules position relative to the external position of the setscrew retention.

The only drawback specific to this hilt design and its chosen position for the LED retention is when it’s installed with QC LEDs. Because of the extra internal space required for the joined connectors, there’s less than optimal bite of the retention screw onto the module itself.

Picture above shows the bite mark from the retention screw and rather than biting it more centred to the heatsink of the module (as it usually would), it grazes the edge. Not the end of the world but it just makes ensuring that the resting position needs to be on-point.

With a fixed-wired LED (ie without QCs) it wouldn’t be a problem as with the absence of the joined connectors, it would enable the module to sit more centred to the retention screw. The only other presence that would add to the internal space with the wires (depending on LED colour) would be the heatshrunk resistors
(but these occupy little space by comparison).

This saber was the result of an Etsy purchase. Significantly quicker (compared to Main Site) from Order placement to received notification of Shipping Notice to actual transit and eventual delivery. But this has always been known.

Order itself was placed March 10.
Shipping Notice received March 20. USPS picked up the package from SF same day.
Item delivered (slight delay as it ran into Easter Long Weekend) April 3.
(Meanwhile, a separate Order for only parts, nothing on pre-order, placed January 01 is in oblivion)

Order Notes/Comments:
US pronged smart charger* | brass covertech | brass aluminium knurled killkey |
brass Elite blade plug | 32 inch blade.

Order comments (in my experience) has been hit and miss. All of above was correctly supplied (credit to SFCS this time) with the exception of the blade plug. What was supplied was the equal OD type (ie face cap and stock = the same aka Lazerforge type).
Not a big deal. Have enough blade plugs to choose from anyway (as pictured in first pic, a non SF blade plug).

* I specifically requested a US pronged smart charger as an exercise but also to gain inventory of spares
since I have surplus of Australian pronged smart chargers.

I opted for the weathered finish over the standard for one primary reason (other than preference), the anodising applied over the raw aluminium, eliminates any sharp edges.
It also creates a more suitable canvas for me to then strategically strip the anodising to suit my own tastes (or as directed) as the end result often varies greatly from the standard finish, regardless of whether I polish it or don’t.

For curiosity, there had been rumours that the method of application with the weathering process was changed, making it result more actual than clinically done. While there is some improvement to the weathering process on this hilt compared to others from previous V2s, it still falls short, but is what it is and remains acceptable.

This illustrates the two retention setscrews on the saber and is shared on the underside ie. The covertech side.
The upper one is retention for the blade/blade plug.
The lower one for the LED module.

Interestingly, contrary to the general consensus of Apprentice construction/assembly being one piece with the exception of the pommel, the emitter is two parts ie. Emitter shroud over the blade holder. The two retention setscrews detailed above and their respective functions also double (& share the same pilot holes) as the shroud retention.
This remains consistent to Heretic (that I illustrated in a separate thread) and with Renegade as pictured below.

Am yet to determine if the (suspected) grip body is also a two part assembly ie shroud over sub-hilt. For now, it looks to be glued and at risk of compromising the internal electronics, it will go unanswered for I am not the sabers primary handler (hence the chosen sound option).

The primary difference however is that Renegades emitter shroud is actually (female) threaded
to the (male threaded) blade holder.

The two sides of the switch section.
Black, red-lit (supplied default to match the primary LED colour chosen) AV switch &
2.1mm offset recharge port with external killkey.

Last Edit: 1 week 6 days ago by OvrcAHst.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Greysider, DK44, scifidude79

Veteran USA | Weathered w/QC DR/Y LEDs 3 weeks 4 days ago #89066

• OvrcAHst

Specs & Measurements:
Hilt Length: 269mm
Blade holder depth: 53mm
Primary Outer Diameter: 34.85mm
Flared Emitter flange OD: 43.21mm
Grip body length: 127.59mm
Weight: 385grams

Given the proportions and weight, my recommendation is to use no greater than a 32 inch v4 blade.
Anything greater of the heavy grade/duelling weight exaggerates top-heaviness and affects the total balance of the saber. Mid-grade or thin walled blades eliminate the top-heaviness and invites use of longer length blades.
To each their own I suppose.

The Veteran 2.5 USA Soundboard:
It combines what is known of Sabercore 2.0 together into one to contain both the flashed fonts of Viridian and Crimson. This is a non-editable font board. Set swings, motions clash audio effects, powerons and poweroffs.

User function on the interactive menu remains the same mostly.
Optical frequency 1-5: enables selection of static lit blade to varying degrees of pulse.
Sound Intensity: Low, High, Muted
Impact Sensitivity 1-9: Clash audio effects
Motion Sensitivity 1-9: Motion audio effects.

There is no shimmer/flicker/flash on Clash visual effects for this setup (or rather the Veteran USA option).
The internal adopted installation is still friction-fit with internal C-clip.
These were known going in and accepted moving forward.

Removal of the killkey (to wake up board) plays the vocal of the last font prior to previous exit.
The AV switch will be lit while saber is on and unactivated.
Quick short press and release activates the saber.
Quick (notso short) press and release will be met with 3 chirps in quick succession playing the vocal of the font differentiation ie. Crimson vs Viridian, as the menu for toggling.
Quick short press and release cycles between to the two options.
Quick long press and release confirms desired selection.
Continued long press, enables the 3 successive chirps followed by 2 lower-toned beeps
which enters the Settings Menu.
Quick press and release cycles through each sub category.
Long press confirms selection before advancing to next sub category.
Voice prompt concludes with All settings saved before returning to beginning.

The Warranty/Instructional Letter included looks to have been updated to include the Sabercore 3.0 reference and basic operation. The Veteran 2.5’s (Import & USA) have not.
Not a big deal since a link is provided to Saberforge101 anyway.

Relative size comparison to other Apprentice Lines and an Elite.

Just illustrating handling comfort (for me) as an ideal sized one-handed saber. I do like the longer hilts (either for two handed wield or for one handed with extra) but these Apprentice Lines are quick goto’s as well.

Am still theorising some visual differences that I plan to modify this hilts appearance with.
Whilst there’s certainty that it wont look like this when I’m finished, the Jury’s still out whether the Veteran board will remain as well. For the interim, it serves it’s purpose and does what it needs to.
Last Edit: 3 weeks 4 days ago by OvrcAHst.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dauntless 7, Execute66, Greysider, For Tyeth, DK44, scifidude79, keremcan, Raakallaht

Veteran USA | Weathered w/QC DR/Y LEDs 3 weeks 4 days ago #89067

• keremcan
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 52
Wow great saber! Bought an Eris and was considering to buy a Nova. After seeing your hilt, now it is a must for me :) btw, weathering+brass looks sick!
BANE mk2, Champion, Black/chrome, Deep red
ARBITER, Champion, Weathered, Blood orange
ERIS, Warrior, Dual tone, Indigo
The following user(s) said Thank You: OvrcAHst

Veteran USA | Weathered w/QC DR/Y LEDs 3 weeks 4 days ago #89070

• For Tyeth
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1090
Hello OvrcAHst,

Another great "Glam" review. That is a nice saber, and the weathering plus brass does look sharp!

The only thing that would niggle with me would be the pommel. I would try to line up the recesses on it to the recesses on the handgrip to streamline the look. I guess sanding the threads could align the pommel as one would align ASP parts?

Thanks for sharing,

For Tyeth

Veteran USA | Weathered w/QC DR/Y LEDs 3 weeks 4 days ago #89071

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1784
Fantastic! That design now calls to me even more urgently!
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....

Veteran USA | Weathered w/QC DR/Y LEDs 3 weeks 4 days ago #89072

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
  • "There is no death, there is the Force...no one's ever really gone."
  • Thank you received: 305
Very nice, Ovr! I anticipate some very solid shine-up work to come out of this saber from you.

But hey, that Yellow, man....looked to me to be less sunflower and more greenish... :dry: how would you say that it looks?

Xiphos, Eris, Oracle Shoto

Veteran USA | Weathered w/QC DR/Y LEDs 3 weeks 3 days ago #89078

• Raakallaht
  • Thank you received: 18
Nova will be mine! Oh yes, it will be mine. This is not only my favorite Apprentice hilt, but quite possibly favorite hilt period. I am unable to purchase at this time so I have been eagerly waiting for someone to post their Nova on here. You sir, are my new best friend on here OvrcAHst.

I finally get to see what the pommel looks like. Other than the way it is lining up in the photos I absolutely love it. It looks like some timing shims will be in order with my purchase. I also see possibilities for customization on both the emitter and pommel. I have to figure out how to get mine sooner rather than later.

Veteran USA | Weathered w/QC DR/Y LEDs 3 weeks 3 days ago #89079

• Dauntless 7
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 136
Wow ! This is an such an awesomely done review. :woohoo:

I likely would not have looked at this saber prior. Thanks. :cheer:

Veteran USA | Weathered w/QC DR/Y LEDs 3 weeks 3 days ago #89083

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 746
Nice saber! Good to see the Veteran USA version with both the classic well loved Viridium and Crimson fonts in one board. This is an unusual design. (I'm waiting for mine, placed recently during the MARCH18 sale).

Veteran USA | Weathered w/QC DR/Y LEDs 3 weeks 3 days ago #89088

• CrimsonJax88
  • Platinum Member
  • Dutch guy living in Norway!
  • Thank you received: 187
Great review as always and a nice looking hilt; definitely liking this one the best of the new additions to the Apprentice lines, but unsure whether it will be a future buy - as for now the biggest Apprentice want is a Talon and maybe a Bastion, but other than that I mostly prefer Elite.

Still, good looking saber that has some potential and I like it better in weathered form now that I see it, so thanks for that :cheer:
For my ally is the Force - and a powerful ally it is!

Veteran USA | Weathered w/QC DR/Y LEDs 3 weeks 3 days ago #89097

• scifidude79
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 372
Great looking saber, thanks for the share. I don't usually go for weathering, but I like how they did it on this hilt, especially the emitter.

Veteran USA | Weathered w/QC DR/Y LEDs 3 weeks 3 days ago #89117

• OvrcAHst
keremcan wrote:
Bought an Eris
ahh the short-stacked Ares :lol: with its shorter length and absent switch guard, not going to lie, I thought about it too but remain on the fence for it.
and was considering to buy a Nova. After seeing your hilt, now it is a must for me :) btw, weathering+brass looks sick!
This is true, it is just a base as I'll likely lighten the weathering significantly for its reimagined skin. As for the weathering+brass, from your edited mockups, you'd know ;)

Brax wrote:
Fantastic! That design now calls to me even more urgently!
:lol: as urgent as that calling may be, I'm pretty sure it still needs to satisfy your pecking order of the others that are ahead of it first..

Dauntless 7 wrote:
Wow ! This is an such an awesomely done review. :woohoo:
I likely would not have looked at this saber prior. Thanks. :cheer:
Thank you B)

Execute66 wrote:
Nice saber! Good to see the Veteran USA version with both the classic well loved Viridium and Crimson fonts in one board. This is an unusual design.
Veteran was the obvious choice as the flashed single fonts of Sabercore 2.0 were known to be acceptable. Definitely wasn't going for a Hero and its Spark Color 2 and Sabercore 3.0 doesn't interest me so I made the decision on the recipients behalf as later on it'll likely get some buttered toast..
(I'm waiting for mine, placed recently during the MARCH18 sale).
Standard Finish is my guess :lol: and whatever LED colour you get, am pretty sure you'll be getting the closest matched day blade to it too ;)

CrimsonJax88 wrote:
Great review as always and a nice looking hilt; definitely liking this one the best of the new additions to the Apprentice lines, but unsure whether it will be a future buy - as for now the biggest Apprentice want is a Talon and maybe a Bastion, but other than that I mostly prefer Elite.

Still, good looking saber that has some potential and I like it better in weathered form now that I see it, so thanks for that :cheer:
:lol: That's easy for me then since Talon doesn't appeal to me and have had a Bastion before and it's not a hilt i'd be looking at adding back into my collection. Nothing stopping you with making an Apprentice into an Elite looking saber.. :whistle:

scifidude79 wrote:
Great looking saber, thanks for the share. I don't usually go for weathering, but I like how they did it on this hilt, especially the emitter.
The weathered finish was ordered for a reason ;) For the absence of sharp edges and during its makeover, I find that removing weathering is much easier than adding it. As for the emitter, being symmetrical is what appealed to me although with that said, the vision I have for it will change but the emitter simply provided an ideal starting point for me.

Raakallaht wrote:
Nova will be mine! Oh yes, it will be mine. This is not only my favorite Apprentice hilt, but quite possibly favorite hilt period. I am unable to purchase at this time so I have been eagerly waiting for someone to post their Nova on here. You sir, are my new best friend on here OvrcAHst.
:lol: :lol: okay.

Eddlyss64 wrote:
Very nice, Ovr! I anticipate some very solid shine-up work to come out of this saber from you.
:lol: stay tuned I spose.. some shine-up work is almost a given ;)
But hey, that Yellow, man....looked to me to be less sunflower and more greenish... :dry: how would you say that it looks?
ahh your quest for your perfect TOR Yellow continues I see... idk what to tell you that you don't already know or rather accurately demonstrate what I see compared to how the pictures capture it simply because it's difficult to do so. For what it's worth, I see Yellow. I recognise it as Yellow and don't disagree with you that it looks greenish in pictures. In person though, I don't see any green.

The following pics are going to demonstrate another unsuccessful attempt to capture the Yellow I see. All three blade colours are Yellow. Some pictures have been taken without flash (shows green) and with flash (shows truer Yellow) and the far right (group of 3) shows as white with a green tinge. This may be dictated by the camera and what it wants to selective pickup more or it may have something to do with how Yellow is mixed.

In the group of 3 pic (from left to right): SF quadcree Yellow; rebel pcAmber/Lime; cree red/green (400/1023 by memory)..

For Tyeth wrote:
The only thing that would niggle with me would be the pommel.
Don't disagree with you. It is what it is. Same thing happened with my (once upon a time) Bastion and rather than expect perfect alignment along the vertical axis from factory, it's must easier accepting it as is and correcting it after the fact.
I would try to line up the recesses on it to the recesses on the handgrip to streamline the look. I guess sanding the threads could align the pommel as one would align ASP parts?
This is true and is a known method to apply. A simpler solution (one I have made the adjustment to since) is to reposition the internal C-clip since it's been positioned on the female threads already, ie.

Raakallaht wrote:
Other than the way it is lining up in the photos I absolutely love it. It looks like some timing shims will be in order with my purchase.
Exercise your own discretion with adding timing shims to your Order. As referenced above, an alternate solution is present that doesn't require anything additional. Other Members have reported to use O-rings with the same success as well. Much like my Bastion, while I made the observation (back then) about its misalignment, it sometimes depends on the finished product from factory as others didn't have the same misalignment I experienced with it. :)
I also see possibilities for customization on both the emitter and pommel. I have to figure out how to get mine sooner rather than later.
Sounds exciting. Be sure to post your results once you've completed your personalising to yours. B)
The following user(s) said Thank You: For Tyeth, Eddlyss64, keremcan, Raakallaht

Veteran USA | Weathered w/QC DR/Y LEDs 3 weeks 3 days ago #89124

• Raakallaht
  • Thank you received: 18
Raakallaht wrote:
Other than the way it is lining up in the photos I absolutely love it. It looks like some timing shims will be in order with my purchase.

Exercise your own discretion with adding timing shims to your Order. As referenced above, an alternate solution is present that doesn't require anything additional. Other Members have reported to use O-rings with the same success as well. Much like my Bastion, while I made the observation (back then) about its misalignment, it sometimes depends on the finished product from factory as others didn't have the same misalignment I experienced with it. :)

Thank you for the insight on alternate ways to get parts to line up the way you would want. :)

Veteran USA | Weathered w/QC DR/Y LEDs 3 weeks 2 days ago #89157

• OvrcAHst
Brief nailed, one much happier recipient.. B)

Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]
The following user(s) said Thank You: Major_Tom

Veteran USA | Weathered w/QC DR/Y LEDs 3 weeks 2 days ago #89158

• Ser Arcturis
  • Elite Member
  • Occupation? No, just visiting.
  • Thank you received: 50
That is one great custom blade you have!
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometres away using an aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope.

Veteran USA | Weathered w/QC DR/Y LEDs 3 weeks 1 hour ago #89332

• OvrcAHst
This is SuperNova | Revealed.
The metamorphosis of an Apprentice into an Exotic Elite..

The following user(s) said Thank You: KelbornX, Eddlyss64, scifidude79

Veteran USA | Weathered w/QC DR/Y LEDs 3 weeks 1 hour ago #89333

• OvrcAHst

Am pretty happy with my handiwork on this one and the completed result… B)
The following user(s) said Thank You: KelbornX, Eddlyss64, DK44, scifidude79, Edon Bluewolf, keremcan

Veteran USA | Weathered w/QC DR/Y LEDs 3 weeks 55 minutes ago #89334

• keremcan
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 52
Wow, great conversion and end result! +1 weathered &gold
BANE mk2, Champion, Black/chrome, Deep red
ARBITER, Champion, Weathered, Blood orange
ERIS, Warrior, Dual tone, Indigo

Veteran USA | Weathered w/QC DR/Y LEDs 2 weeks 6 days ago #89352

• Edon Bluewolf
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 35
Excellent finished product there OvrcAHst! What a beauty! :woohoo:
“Your focus determines your reality.” – Qui-Gon Jinn

Veteran USA | Weathered w/QC DR/Y LEDs 2 weeks 5 days ago #89380

• CrimsonJax88
  • Platinum Member
  • Dutch guy living in Norway!
  • Thank you received: 187
Man, how fast do you work? :lol:
Awesome work, definitely like the name and the look of it.
For my ally is the Force - and a powerful ally it is!
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Chassis Available! (7 Posts)
    • I hope my Redeemer ordered in January will be fitted with that one....
    • I'll still be here on May 1st. The force may be strong with you all, but the denial is stronger with...
    • Shoto saber design, ISO i... (57 Posts)
    • The lighting in the photo isn't very good. I think BCII is a little too dark and BCI is a little too...
    • The true spirit among us never dies. :P
    • Still here till the end Thanx Brax

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6835
  • Latest Member: ValkyrieGondul
  • Total Posts: 69.4k
  • Total Topics: 5842
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 146