Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Changing LEDs

Changing LEDs 11 months 2 weeks ago #49927

• slenaas
  • Thank you received: 6
is it easy to change leds with quick connects on your own in an epoch?
Blades:

1. Consular yellow
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Changing LEDs 11 months 2 weeks ago #49931

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 579
As long as the hilt was ordered with quick connects,

1) Remove blade/plug
2) Unscrew LED Retention Screw
3) Shake hilt until LED module slides out the emitter
4) Unplug quick-connect and remove original LED module
5) Plug in new module
6) Push new module into position
7) Tighten LED retention screw
8 ) Ta-da~

Changing LEDs 11 months 2 weeks ago #49935

• OvrcAHst
  • War. Mostly Dark, Often Grey, Sometimes Light
  • Thank you received: 1542
slenaas,
is it easy to change leds with quick connects on your own in an epoch?
Your query isn't specific and can be interpreted two ways so will attempt to address both possibilities. As you once wrote (on your Epoch Review, still waiting for pictures too :P ):
Also, after placing an order for a Blue Led, somehow the etsy site said i had ordered green and customer service refused to correct it
Please note: if the Hilt is still under Warranty, any attempts to DIY correct will void Warranty unless you choose to send Hilt back to SF to be performed by their Smiths.

If you are planning on modifying your 'Fixed-Connect' LED to become a Quick Connect LED, I'll direct you to the Thread Convert this to Quick Connect. This method (as guided by Jaden Korr) is regardless of whether you choose the Micro-Deans Connectors as SF uses or with using the JST Connectors from TCSS, for example.

If you are wanting to know how to perform the interchange, further to Kouri's step-step play, the following Video illustrates by Tutorial.

:)
Last Edit: 11 months 2 weeks ago by OvrcAHst.

Changing LEDs 11 months 1 week ago #51064

• slenaas
  • Thank you received: 6
ahh ok.....no i do have quick connects on both my epoch and my consular....took a pic of both and am still struggling to figure out how to properly upload a pic.... gonna try uploading the pic to my profile...
Blades:

1. Consular yellow

Changing LEDs 11 months 1 week ago #51086

• jbeem
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 45
Hey man, let me take this opportunity to WARN YOU!!

I ordered an Epoch champion and had it for 5 minutes before deciding to swap out the cyan LED for the Indigo LED I ordered extra. The wiring inside the Epoch is extremely difficult to deal with because of how long the emitter itself is and the fact that there is no way to access the wiring between the soundboard and the LED except through the emitter itself.

The wiring started out being tucked down tightly in the bottom of the saber. I had trouble getting the LED unit up out of the emitter because of this. As I pulled the LED unit further it finally brought the wiring inside up so that I had enough length to remove the LED from the quick connect. Now the problem was... there was no good way to get all that wiring BACK down into the saber's body. There is a "choke point" just below the emitter and it is at this section where the wiring seems to "bunch up" when i'm trying to put it back down through (when replacing the LED unit back into its original position).

So long story short... I the wiring broke. While trying to put the LED unit back down into its position... the wiring behind it would not go down into the body properly. It bunched up at the chokepoint and ended up snapping the wiring. I wasn't applying any pressure at all to it. My wife and I were seriously shocked when it broke...I was being really gentle with it and it just snapped right off like it was made of paper.

Anyway...after having my long awaited saber for all of 5 minutes...I had to box it up and ship it back in for repairs. Its been almost 2 weeks now and I haven't heard anything yet as to its return. When they repair it, I asked them to install the Cyan LED again for me and thats where its going to stay...permanently. I'm never opening that saber up again. The extra Indigo LED i'm going to just hang on to and use it with my ASP saber if it ever gets here.

So if you take nothing else from this- Don't mess around with your Epoch! Just enjoy the color you picked! I am 100% absolutely certain that there was nothing I could have done differently to avoid breaking those wires aside from not trying to change the LED at all. I wasn't being rough or using any kind of pressure. So i'm just going to enjoy my Cyan Epoch when it comes back.

Changing LEDs 8 months 6 days ago #62630

• DigitalKitsune
I know that this post is a few months old, but I stumbled across it this morning when I was having trouble with the quick connects on my own Epoch.

After messing around with the LED for a while, I was eventually able to push it in far enough to let the retention screw do its thing. As I lowered the LED into the saber, I gently (VERY gently) twisted the unit and the wires around. After 10-15 complete rotations, the wires slipped past the choke point and I was able to push the entire thing back into place.

Since this morning, I've repeated this process a few times with different LEDs, and my saber has been working perfectly!

Hopefully this will help out anyone else having this problem :D

Changing LEDs 5 months 1 day ago #68338

• TrueAppleJay
Hey man, I know it's been awhile now but I just want to say THANK YOU!

This seriously helped me so much. My Epoch was no longer under warranty, so I manually installed quick connects and man... Getting those wires back down are a serious pain.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• New and Upcoming from Phi... (16 Posts)
    • Quote: Guess I need to clear my schedule then.... :P :lol: You mean it's not already cleared for the 4...
    • Quote: SWEET! I will definitely be getting an Aeon. Prodigy looks great too. I'd have to see some...
    • TFA Graflex 2.1 WIP (6 Posts)
    • No, this one's not for me. The modified US is sitting in pieces for me to tackle after this wraps...
    • That Renegade... Might have to do that in the future. After my first ASP
    • The Wait Begins 4.0 (676 Posts)
    • Just got my girlfriends Phoenix in the mail! It only took 2 weeks, but it was an initiate. Very good...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 4709
  • Latest Member: Rebzyawag
  • Total Posts: 53.7k
  • Total Topics: 4311
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 114
  • Today Open: 3
  • Yesterday Open: 7
  • Today Answer: 29
  • Yesterday Answer: 41