Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Saberforge Day Blades

Saberforge Day Blades 7 months 3 weeks ago #63202

• DarthTtocs
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 33
I think I actually prefer the day blade. Looks great!
The wounded Jedi looks up at the massive man wielding a 6' long light saber! The last words the Jedi hears is "Yes, I am Sith, and oh, so much more"
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Saberforge Day Blades 7 months 2 weeks ago #63630

• Brady329
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 66
New comparison with my new Mint Green LED!
(Green LED left, Mint Green LED right)

Stock Infinity

Green Day Blade

And a video comparison at night!
Last Edit: 7 months 2 weeks ago by Brady329.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jaden Korr, Greysider, OvrcAHst

Saberforge Day Blades 7 months 2 weeks ago #63631

• Jaden Korr
  • Platinum Member
  • "Remember, [Force] abilities are not inherently good or evil; it's how you use them." --Kyle Katarn
  • Thank you received: 510
Great LED color/day blade combo. Nice spinning too!
2005 MR Vader
B/B/W Graflex 2.0
yellow SF ASP Interceptor
The following user(s) said Thank You: Borommakot, Brady329

Saberforge Day Blades 7 months 2 days ago #65091

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 579
Just got my yellow day blade in.

It's not advertised as such, but I can confirm it's also a Photon blade. It's most obvious when shining a blue LED at the side of the blade and seeing the cut end of the blade for amber-orange. However, the effect isn't as bright as the Photon Green blades. Also, the colors don't blend as well, with a sky blue core, yellow edge, and lime tip.

Either way, didn't grab it for a blue saber. I wanted it as a yellow day blade for my PC Amber test-saber. Lights up really well, but the blade shifts the PC Amber a bit toward the typical Amber yellow-orange, while the LED is usually more yellow in a clear blade
The following user(s) said Thank You: Borommakot

Saberforge Day Blades 7 months 2 days ago #65093

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 434
I received my Day Blades.

Generally, they provide an alternative presentation of the LED colors. They reminded me perfectly of "another major saber company's" clear plastic blades in terms on LED effect indoors - the brilliant core effect and the more accurate show of the LED color itself. The V4 Infinity blade looks brighter but that's because it is a washed white color blade to begin with, offering a fuller look than the Day Blades. I haven't had a closer look outdoors in sunlight yet. I am inclined to refer these Day Blades over the V4 Infinity because of the core effect and the more accurate presentation of the LED dies.
"I am the Senate"
The following user(s) said Thank You: mothoinpog, Brady329

Saberforge Day Blades 7 months 2 days ago #65122

• OvrcAHst
  • War. Mostly Dark, Often Grey, Sometimes Light
  • Thank you received: 1542
Has anyone explored the science behind the effectiveness of the diffusion film i.e. lesser folds versus greater folds? Trimmed two Blades recently (32" Day & 37" V4) and remain unsure if it's intentionally done or random. Both blades film (after unravelling) stretched out, were equal in width to what their respective lengths were. i.e. 32"=17 Folds & 32" wide, 37"=17 Folds & 37" wide. What does this mean, I don't know? :huh: :dry:

Saberforge Day Blades 7 months 2 days ago #65146

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 434
"All Day Blades Are Created Equal, But Some Are More Equal Than Others" .... Execute66 (August 2016) :lol:

Meaning that not all look equally stunning, while they are all nice. I think Blood Orange still looks better on the Infinity V4 at night. But Amber and Yellow look quite a bit nicer on the Yellow Day Blade. Wonderful results.
"I am the Senate"

Saberforge Day Blades 7 months 2 days ago #65158

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
OvrcAHst wrote:
Has anyone explored the science behind the effectiveness of the diffusion film i.e. lesser folds versus greater folds? Trimmed two Blades recently (32" Day & 37" V4) and remain unsure if it's intentionally done or random. Both blades film (after unravelling) stretched out, were equal in width to what their respective lengths were. i.e. 32"=17 Folds & 32" wide, 37"=17 Folds & 37" wide. What does this mean, I don't know? :huh: :dry:

I've not donned a labcoat and done the thorough experimentation to confirm this hypothesis, but I always figured amount of diffusion should be proportional to the ID of the blade, not its length.

So, for instance, I've had good luck with ~6ft of diffusion film in a 1" thinwall (7/8" ID) blade, resulting in about 26 wraps of diffusion. But for a 1" thickwall or 7/8" thinwall (3/4" ID), I'd probably go for about 5ft to get the same number of wraps.

Saberforge Day Blades 7 months 2 days ago #65161

• OvrcAHst
Kouri wrote:
I've not donned a labcoat and done the thorough experimentation to confirm this hypothesis, but I always figured amount of diffusion should be proportional to the ID of the blade, not its length.

So, for instance, I've had good luck with ~6ft of diffusion film in a 1" thinwall (7/8" ID) blade, resulting in about 26 wraps of diffusion. But for a 1" thickwall or 7/8" thinwall (3/4" ID), I'd probably go for about 5ft to get the same number of wraps.
:lol: Had always imagined you always wearing a labcoat (even under the Kylo Costume). :huh:
Can I conclude that these blades you 'experimented on' are the relatively transparent type from TCSS? I want to say that some kind of structural compound used in the polycarb would contribute and from transparent to opaque to surface scored, each 'may' have a promoting effect. Up to 6Feet of Film would add generous weight though right and still not counting the weight of a filmless blade. Where's MythBusters when you need them.. actually didn't they once do a SW Episode? :lol:

I'm not the brightest Glow-Worm in the Cave on the best of times let alone tonight where I'm dimly-lit at most, would this become a Maths with Formulae Calculation at determining films effectiveness of length and Number of Folds to achieve greater illumination? This would be isolated to the trans-white polycarb and transparent tubes before adding coloured polycarbs of Day Blades into the mix. My head hurts already. :blink:

Saberforge Day Blades 7 months 2 days ago #65169

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
I'm using clear cellophane, and the stuff's light enough that I never really considered it adding any significant weight to the blade.

And yeah, giving it some thought, yeah, you could probably get away with a bit less film in a trans-white blade, since it does a half-decent job diffusing on its own (though I'd still recommend adding *some* film).

However, I'm not a fan of the way the trans-white blades de-saturate the LED color, and the full, solid-color look doesn't appeal to me. My personal preference is a clear blade with the outer surface sanded down with ~200-grit sandpaper. It still lights up edge-to-edge, but with a bit more brightness in the core, and FoC colors show up really well.

If I'm out and about in-costume, I'll opt for a color-matched day-blade, though White FoC LEDs aren't as bright in a colored blade - but it's usually more about the steady blade color for photos anywho.

Saberforge Day Blades 7 months 1 day ago #65194

• SFGrandMaster-Phil
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 222
These have the same amount of film as our regular blade. We haven't sold blades without film since the trans white we sold back in 2012.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mothoinpog, DarthSauron

Saberforge Day Blades 6 months 3 weeks ago #65314

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 189
So, Having had my day blade for a few weeks now I've noticed that rather than the "purple" color on the tip simply being a true purple piece of PC or some other material it looks like it was coated or painted and I can now see spots where it has worn off from use.

My main complaint with the day blade was the tip, it seemed to shine blue rather than purple, and it didn't illuminate very well. Now with the coating starting to rub off in spots I can see the actual purple light of the LED shining through in those spots.

Are all the day blades like this? If so, has anyone tried to sand off or remove the coating to see if it provides a better look when the blade is illuminated?
Last Edit: 6 months 3 weeks ago by Jas-Ot.

Saberforge Day Blades 6 months 3 weeks ago #65480

• Samhain138
  • Thank you received: 27
I did a short video showing my blue VV blade vs SF blade. I prefer the SF one. The SF blade is much heavier, and just more "real" in person, especially in motion!

Last Edit: 6 months 3 weeks ago by Samhain138.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mothoinpog, Execute66, Greysider, OvrcAHst, DarthSauron, ToyKeeper

Saberforge Day Blades 6 months 3 weeks ago #65492

• DarthSauron
  • "The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural"
  • Thank you received: 40
It is easily seen that saberforge is better in color

Champion tier Venom, SaberCore Crimson, Weathered Finish, 12W+ Red LED

Saberforge Day Blades 6 months 3 weeks ago #65494

• Samhain138
  • Thank you received: 27
For sure, the blade basically does look like this in person. It gives it that hard edge.

My VV blades are nice too, but they light up more like this in person

I like them both for different reasons, but the SF blades staying in my Kenobi cosplay saber for sure. I wish they'd make me a set of side blades for my Templar! Guess I'll keep my VV blades in it.
Last Edit: 6 months 3 weeks ago by Samhain138.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Execute66, DarthSauron

Saberforge Day Blades 6 months 3 weeks ago #65526

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 189
Purple Day blade:

I LOVE the look of the blade. That being said, the tip glows a more blueish-purple.

Saberforge Day Blades 6 months 1 week ago #66451

• ChrisGilbert
I recently received the Redeemer with a 12W Blue (I forgot which blue but it's a pretty average looking blue) and I am wanting to get a day blade for it in addition to the original. Are there any combinations of blade colors that would look good with the blue? Perhaps the green or purple day blades? Any input would be wonderful!

Saberforge Day Blades 6 months 1 week ago #66545

• OvrcAHst
ChrisGilbert wrote:
I recently received the Redeemer with a 12W Blue (I forgot which blue but it's a pretty average looking blue) and I am wanting to get a day blade for it in addition to the original. Are there any combinations of blade colors that would look good with the blue? Perhaps the green or purple day blades? Any input would be wonderful!

^^Deep Blue Redeemer, click here.

^^Medium Blue Redeemer, click here.

You want to look at the diffused colour behind the blades core (unless you want a specific coring effect that the Day Blades will produce). My recommendation: (unless you've got a Light Blue Redeemer, which the examples won't illustrate) with consideration for a boosting effect, it would be Day Blue/Day Purple.

EDIT: Oversight. For a Redeemer Light Blue with Blue Day Blade, click here, as Posted by Unleashediv.
Last Edit: 6 months 1 week ago by OvrcAHst.

Saberforge Day Blades 6 months 6 days ago #66706

• ChrisGilbert
On my old order receipt it shows it as deep blue actually, I just thought it be cool to try to mix a day blade color with the blue to make something totally new. Thank you for the input!

Saberforge Day Blades 6 months 6 days ago #66709

• OvrcAHst
ChrisGilbert wrote:
On my old order receipt it shows it as deep blue actually, I just thought it be cool to try to mix a day blade color with the blue to make something totally new. Thank you for the input!
Easy, hope it helped. If you follow the posted link to my Deep Blue Redeemer, the only colours (through a Day Blade) I'd personally consider and accept would be: Green, Amber, Yellow with creating a 'cool' alternative to the Blue (and when not using Day Purple). But hey, that's just me.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• New and Upcoming from Phi... (16 Posts)
    • Quote: Guess I need to clear my schedule then.... :P :lol: You mean it's not already cleared for the 4...
    • Quote: SWEET! I will definitely be getting an Aeon. Prodigy looks great too. I'd have to see some...
    • TFA Graflex 2.1 WIP (6 Posts)
    • No, this one's not for me. The modified US is sitting in pieces for me to tackle after this wraps...
    • That Renegade... Might have to do that in the future. After my first ASP
    • The Wait Begins 4.0 (676 Posts)
    • Just got my girlfriends Phoenix in the mail! It only took 2 weeks, but it was an initiate. Very good...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 4709
  • Latest Member: Rebzyawag
  • Total Posts: 53.7k
  • Total Topics: 4311
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 114
  • Today Open: 3
  • Yesterday Open: 7
  • Today Answer: 29
  • Yesterday Answer: 41