Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

TOPIC: Lightsaber size? 32" vs 37"

Lightsaber size? 32" vs 37" 2 years 6 months ago #12814

• GreyFox
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello fellow Star wars enthusiasts, I am looking to purchase my first lightsaber and looking at images and videos I must say the 37" blade does look impressive, particularly if the lightsaber has a two handed look about it. However one thing I have noticed about the 37" blades is that the light seems to dim quite a bit at the end. I myself am looking to purchase a Disciple lightsaber , which to me seems like more of a one handed lightsaber. I have never seen picture of a 32” blade so I am not sure how it looks.

Does the 32" blade reduce the fade of light? and do you think it would suit a lightsaber like the disciple, or is it just too small looking? If anyone has any comparison photos of blade sizes please post below, also include if you think the 37" or 32" is better and why. Thanks- GreyFox
The topic has been locked.

Lightsaber size? 32" vs 37" 2 years 6 months ago #12815

• h2soy
  • Curio Collector
  • Thank you received: 382
I myself am looking to purchase a Disciple lightsaber , which to me seems like more of a one handed lightsaber.
I don't have any comparison pics but I can tell you that the Disciple is a bit on the slim size and (for me at least) works best as a one hander and as such 32" works best for me.
However one thing I have noticed about the 37" blades is that the light seems to dim quite a bit at the end.
Since less light will bleed out of a 32" before it reaches the tip in comparison to a 37" IMO the light diffuses better across a 32."
do you think it would suit a lightsaber like the disciple, or is it just too small looking?
My 12w Disciple looks just fine with a 32". Whether or not it looks odd or not is in direct relation to how tall you are. If I were taller than 6 foot the 32" would look too small in proportion to myself. I'm 5'10" and I think the 32" handles and looks good. Check out some of the reviews for the Disciple in the forum, some of them talk about blade length.
Last Edit: 2 years 6 months ago by h2soy.

Lightsaber size? 32" vs 37" 2 years 6 months ago #12818

• GreyFox
Thank you for such a quick reply! :cheer:

Your reply is very insightful, as I too was thinking that a 32" would be best for the disciple especially for the size and balance for one handed tricks etc I am 5 10" tall too so maybe this would be a great choice. I am still very interested in seeing some comparison pictures but even if you have some pictures of your 32" disciple on its own that would be really great for reference. Oher than slim feel and good light diffusion, in your opinion how is the disciple lightsaber as a whole?

Lightsaber size? 32" vs 37" 2 years 6 months ago #12819

• h2soy
  • Curio Collector
I am still very interested in seeing some comparison pictures but even if you have some pictures of your 32" disciple on its own that would be really great for reference. Oher than slim feel and good light diffusion, in your opinion how is the disciple lightsaber as a whole?
My camera is garbage so I don't have any decent pics but if you're looking for review of the Disciple here's mine:

https://saberforgeforum.com/forum/disciple/1126-disciple-std-finish-blk-rpt-wrap-12w-gr

Most of the other reviews in that forum subsection have pictures as well.

Lightsaber size? 32" vs 37" 2 years 6 months ago #12820

• Andrew Ford
  • Premium Member
  • There is passion, yet peace. There is serenity, yet emotion. Chaos, yet order.
  • Thank you received: 17
I've got a Shock LE from Ultrasabers that has a 37inch blade (or there abouts). I'm not exactly the tallest guy around, I literally just scrape 6 ft and I have little to no trouble doing stuff like flourishes and spins in a relatively open but roofed area. Personally I find that the 32 inch looks to be too small in proportion to the rest of my body and I only really use it on staff sabers like the selection menu suggests.

But I know that a lot of people prefer the 32 inch, which is perfectly fine as everyone has their own preference.

My recommendation would be; if you buy a Saber with a 37" blade and you're perfectly happy with the hilt, no hiccups etc, cutting down the blade to a more comfortable size is what some people have been known to do. Although the risk is that you can't return the saber afterwards if you have any problems with it within the 1 year warranty period (unless you dish out more cash to buy another 37" blade, stick that on your saber and send it back which results in additional waiting times and more money to be dished out).
Bowties are cool... And so are Lightsabers!
Last Edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Andrew Ford.

Lightsaber size? 32" vs 37" 2 years 6 months ago #12822

• GreyFox
hmmmm good point. I am not sure. Could I order a lightsaber with two blades both sizes at the same time? What is the cost? Really I want to make my mind up about one to save money and I don’t really like the idea of messing with the saber before the year warranty is up. If anyone has a side by side photo or comparison video they know of please post.

Lightsaber size? 32" vs 37" 2 years 6 months ago #12823

• GreyFox
https://saberforgeforum.com/forum/disciple/1126-disciple-std-finish-blk-rpt-wrap-12w-gr

Thanks, I will give that a look when I get home.
Last Edit: 2 years 6 months ago by GreyFox.

Lightsaber size? 32" vs 37" 2 years 6 months ago #12824

• h2soy
  • Curio Collector
Could I order a lightsaber with two blades both sizes at the same time? What is the cost?

http://www.saberforge.com/accessories/infinity-blade

or

https://www.etsy.com/listing/180123573/new-v4-infinity-edge-saber-blade-for?ref=shop_home_active_20
If anyone has a side by side photo or comparison video they know of please post.
When you're at home I would suggest looking at the reviews and opening up two web browsing windows to cross compare. I'm having a surprisingly hard time finding pics of this. All I can find are shoto/32" comparisons...

Lightsaber size? 32" vs 37" 2 years 6 months ago #12825

• GreyFox
Ok I will do that. Thank you for the help man it's very much appreciated!

edit Does the new V4 37" still have dull spots? or was the blade you said you had an earlier type?

Lightsaber size? 32" vs 37" 2 years 6 months ago #12826

• h2soy
  • Curio Collector
Does the new V4 37" still have dull spots? or was the blade you said you had an earlier type?
This discussion is highly relative. The V4 37" diffuses light VERY well. But in comparison to the 32" which has a smaller area to diffuse light through it is slightly dimmer in the middle. We're talking small degrees of difference. Also I'd take any photos you see with a grain of salt; depending on the camera's filter the blade's light may look dimmer or brighter then it actually is.

This is one of those things that you kinda have to see IRL to make sense and each person you talk to may have a different opinion.

Lightsaber size? 32" vs 37" 2 years 6 months ago #12831

• GreyFox
Do the lightsabers come with V4 blade by default or does it start at V3 and I need to buy it separate?
I think I am ether going to get a 32" with a 6w and Quick connect and a belt clasp, or a 37" with 12w or maybe just go with a 32" with 12w to be on the safe side. :unsure:

Lightsaber size? 32" vs 37" 2 years 6 months ago #12846

• Knytiri
  • Banned
  • "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."
  • Thank you received: 471
V4 is the only blade SF offers for sale.

Also someone mentioned cutting the blade would void the warranty, but this just isn't true... the blade itself doesn't have a warranty, the hilt is what is under warranty. Modifying the blade does not affect the hilts warranty in any way... if you ever have to send in your saber for warranty repair, you send it in hilt-only.

Also, I would always suggest just going with the 12w. Especially if you're looking at a warrior tier, 6w runs on AAA batteries and you will end up spending far more on batteries than you'd like. The 12w comes with thr rechargeable battery, and saves you money in the long run.

Lightsaber size? 32" vs 37" 2 years 6 months ago #12867

• GreyFox
Thank you for this advice! I think i will get the disciple with red leather and a 37" blade with 12w red LED if its too long I guess I can shorten the blade. I really want to etch a sith symbol onto the hilt but i will leave that until the year is up. :P

edit Are there any posts on how to shorten blades or is it rather self explanatory?

Lightsaber size? 32" vs 37" 2 years 6 months ago #12979

• Miraluka
  • Platinum Member
  • "Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is."
  • Thank you received: 72
The blades actually are warrantied. SaberForge recently specifically addressed the fact that their blades are warrantied just like everything else they sell. I suppose other saber companies don't warranty their blades which is why it was a point of interest.

However, that doesn't necessarily mean that cutting the blade will affect the warranty on the hilt. I'm just saying that they both have warranty.

If you're concerned with darkening/dimming towards the tip, you'd probably not want to get a 37" but to answer your question, yes, you could order both blade sizes when you order a saber. Since you're already getting a box big enough for a blade, adding a second shouldn't add shipping cost, just the second blade cost.

If you want to cut it, I'd suggest plugging the blade with tissues or something of the like to keep any dust/debris from getting inside it. Just make sure you don't stick something in there that you can't pull out.

You can cut it about any way you like but typically people use a 1" pipe cutter and cut the diffusion film with a razor blade.

Lightsaber size? 32" vs 37" 2 years 6 months ago #12985

• GreyFox
Thank you Miraluka for this information. The blades actually are warrantied….that you can't pull out.
"If you're concerned with darkening/dimming towards the tip, you'd probably not want to get a 37" So the 37" dims a lot more than the 32"?

I think I will just go for the 32" with a 12w just to avoid any confusion with warranty, dim light etc
What is your opinion on a 32” blade? Is it too small, does it look more like a toy blade? or is it brighter and a good size? Keep in mind it’s the disciple lightsaber I want, I have been told its quite slim/smaller than say an epoch.

Lightsaber size? 32" vs 37" 2 years 6 months ago #12987

• Miraluka
  • Platinum Member
  • "Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is."
I prefer 32" to 37".

I find the 37" to be a little unwieldy. Partially because of its length, more-so because of its weight. SF blades are pretty heavy and longer blades put the balance further away from your emitter.

If it makes any difference to you, I'm 5'9". The 32" blade doesn't look comically small or anything. It suits me just fine. But like I said, it's the weight of the 37" I don't like. However, the 37" also does look a little too long for my height.
I kinda wish I had photos of my holding both lengths. I'll take some when I get home from work.

Lightsaber size? 32" vs 37" 2 years 6 months ago #12989

• Andrew Ford
  • Premium Member
  • There is passion, yet peace. There is serenity, yet emotion. Chaos, yet order.
  • Thank you received: 17
To quote the Saberforge Warranty section on their website:

"Yes, all of our sabers come with a 1 year warranty. If your saber or blade is damaged or broken within 1 year after purchase, we will replace or repair it for free. Our sabers and blades are warrantied for dueling NOT dropping. User inflicted damage from dropping a saber on a hard surface is not covered under warranty, blade on blade full contact dueling is covered. Do not attempt to modify or repair your saber yourself, that will void your warranty."

So, I'm assuming cutting the blade down to a particular size falls under the category of modification. Obviously it only mentions the hilt in that particular paragraph, but it would be an understandable assumption to make that cutting the blade to a custom size would affect the warranty.

And I have got to agree with Miraluka. SF's blades are quite heavy. That's one thing that I forgot to mention. The Polycarbonate is quite thick (which is why it holds up so well in duels). I do wish that they'd release a V4b or something. A prop Saber blade that's got thinner Polycarbonate and isn't purely designed for dueling.
Bowties are cool... And so are Lightsabers!

Lightsaber size? 32" vs 37" 2 years 6 months ago #13009

• Miraluka
  • Platinum Member
Sooo here we are. A couple comparison shots of 32" and 37" blades. Once again, I'm 5'9"

Individually:

And both at once:

Hopefully that helps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nevira, Dewstroyer

Lightsaber size? 32" vs 37" 2 years 6 months ago #13014

• EvilGeth
  • Thank you received: 3
Miraluka wrote:
Sooo here we are. A couple comparison shots of 32" and 37" blades. Once again, I'm 5'9"

Individually:

And both at once:

Hopefully that helps.

These pictures help alot thank you :D I have 2 37" blades but I think I'll be getting 32" from now on, maybe a couple of shoto 26" as well :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Miraluka, Jaden Korr, harvey415

Lightsaber size? 32" vs 37" 2 years 6 months ago #13016

• GreyFox
Thank you soooo much for the photos to compare!!! Thants what I was really looking for when I started this thread :cheer: I will go for the 32" for sure now. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Miraluka
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Saberforge Customs Price ... (15 Posts)
    • Quote: How long does it normally take them to reply to enquires? I sent them an email on the 20th Dec about...
    • "Card was Declined&q... (2 Posts)
    • Quote: I'm having trouble buying from the Saberforge website. Everytime I enter my information and click...
    • WARNING TO ALL SABERCORE ... (1 Posts)
    • when using the sabercore 3.0 editor, BE SURE TO CLOSE THE PROGRAM BEFORE UNPLUGING YOUR SABER! i...
    • "Card was Declined&q... (2 Posts)
    • Hey anyone that can help! I'm having trouble buying from the Saberforge website. Everytime I enter...
    • Timing shims (2 Posts)
    • Are you building it yourself or having it built? If it's being built, don't worry about it. If...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6338
  • Latest Member: Ben Swolo
  • Total Posts: 63.2k
  • Total Topics: 5330
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 136
  • Today Open: 2
  • Yesterday Open: 5
  • Today Answer: 5
  • Yesterday Answer: 29