Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

TOPIC: Lightsaber size? 32" vs 37"

Lightsaber size? 32" vs 37" 2 years 4 months ago #12831

• GreyFox
  • Thank you received: 1
Do the lightsabers come with V4 blade by default or does it start at V3 and I need to buy it separate?
I think I am ether going to get a 32" with a 6w and Quick connect and a belt clasp, or a 37" with 12w or maybe just go with a 32" with 12w to be on the safe side. :unsure:
Last Edit: 2 years 4 months ago by GreyFox.
The topic has been locked.

Lightsaber size? 32" vs 37" 2 years 4 months ago #12846

• Knytiri
  • Banned
  • "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."
  • Thank you received: 471
V4 is the only blade SF offers for sale.

Also someone mentioned cutting the blade would void the warranty, but this just isn't true... the blade itself doesn't have a warranty, the hilt is what is under warranty. Modifying the blade does not affect the hilts warranty in any way... if you ever have to send in your saber for warranty repair, you send it in hilt-only.

Also, I would always suggest just going with the 12w. Especially if you're looking at a warrior tier, 6w runs on AAA batteries and you will end up spending far more on batteries than you'd like. The 12w comes with thr rechargeable battery, and saves you money in the long run.

Lightsaber size? 32" vs 37" 2 years 4 months ago #12867

• GreyFox
Thank you for this advice! I think i will get the disciple with red leather and a 37" blade with 12w red LED if its too long I guess I can shorten the blade. I really want to etch a sith symbol onto the hilt but i will leave that until the year is up. :P

edit Are there any posts on how to shorten blades or is it rather self explanatory?

Lightsaber size? 32" vs 37" 2 years 4 months ago #12979

• Miraluka
  • Platinum Member
  • "Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is."
  • Thank you received: 75
The blades actually are warrantied. SaberForge recently specifically addressed the fact that their blades are warrantied just like everything else they sell. I suppose other saber companies don't warranty their blades which is why it was a point of interest.

However, that doesn't necessarily mean that cutting the blade will affect the warranty on the hilt. I'm just saying that they both have warranty.

If you're concerned with darkening/dimming towards the tip, you'd probably not want to get a 37" but to answer your question, yes, you could order both blade sizes when you order a saber. Since you're already getting a box big enough for a blade, adding a second shouldn't add shipping cost, just the second blade cost.

If you want to cut it, I'd suggest plugging the blade with tissues or something of the like to keep any dust/debris from getting inside it. Just make sure you don't stick something in there that you can't pull out.

You can cut it about any way you like but typically people use a 1" pipe cutter and cut the diffusion film with a razor blade.

Lightsaber size? 32" vs 37" 2 years 4 months ago #12985

• GreyFox
Thank you Miraluka for this information. The blades actually are warrantied….that you can't pull out.
"If you're concerned with darkening/dimming towards the tip, you'd probably not want to get a 37" So the 37" dims a lot more than the 32"?

I think I will just go for the 32" with a 12w just to avoid any confusion with warranty, dim light etc
What is your opinion on a 32” blade? Is it too small, does it look more like a toy blade? or is it brighter and a good size? Keep in mind it’s the disciple lightsaber I want, I have been told its quite slim/smaller than say an epoch.

Lightsaber size? 32" vs 37" 2 years 4 months ago #12987

• Miraluka
  • Platinum Member
  • "Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is."
I prefer 32" to 37".

I find the 37" to be a little unwieldy. Partially because of its length, more-so because of its weight. SF blades are pretty heavy and longer blades put the balance further away from your emitter.

If it makes any difference to you, I'm 5'9". The 32" blade doesn't look comically small or anything. It suits me just fine. But like I said, it's the weight of the 37" I don't like. However, the 37" also does look a little too long for my height.
I kinda wish I had photos of my holding both lengths. I'll take some when I get home from work.

Lightsaber size? 32" vs 37" 2 years 4 months ago #12989

• Andrew Ford
  • Premium Member
  • There is passion, yet peace. There is serenity, yet emotion. Chaos, yet order.
  • Thank you received: 17
To quote the Saberforge Warranty section on their website:

"Yes, all of our sabers come with a 1 year warranty. If your saber or blade is damaged or broken within 1 year after purchase, we will replace or repair it for free. Our sabers and blades are warrantied for dueling NOT dropping. User inflicted damage from dropping a saber on a hard surface is not covered under warranty, blade on blade full contact dueling is covered. Do not attempt to modify or repair your saber yourself, that will void your warranty."

So, I'm assuming cutting the blade down to a particular size falls under the category of modification. Obviously it only mentions the hilt in that particular paragraph, but it would be an understandable assumption to make that cutting the blade to a custom size would affect the warranty.

And I have got to agree with Miraluka. SF's blades are quite heavy. That's one thing that I forgot to mention. The Polycarbonate is quite thick (which is why it holds up so well in duels). I do wish that they'd release a V4b or something. A prop Saber blade that's got thinner Polycarbonate and isn't purely designed for dueling.
Bowties are cool... And so are Lightsabers!

Lightsaber size? 32" vs 37" 2 years 4 months ago #13009

• Miraluka
  • Platinum Member
Sooo here we are. A couple comparison shots of 32" and 37" blades. Once again, I'm 5'9"

Individually:

And both at once:

Hopefully that helps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nevira, Dewstroyer

Lightsaber size? 32" vs 37" 2 years 4 months ago #13014

• EvilGeth
  • Thank you received: 3
Miraluka wrote:
Sooo here we are. A couple comparison shots of 32" and 37" blades. Once again, I'm 5'9"

Individually:

And both at once:

Hopefully that helps.

These pictures help alot thank you :D I have 2 37" blades but I think I'll be getting 32" from now on, maybe a couple of shoto 26" as well :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Miraluka, Jaden Korr, harvey415

Lightsaber size? 32" vs 37" 2 years 4 months ago #13016

• GreyFox
Thank you soooo much for the photos to compare!!! Thants what I was really looking for when I started this thread :cheer: I will go for the 32" for sure now. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Miraluka

Lightsaber size? 32" vs 37" 2 years 4 months ago #13185

• GreyFox
Miraluka what color is your lightsaber here? Amber, yellow ? it looks bad ass what ever it is!!

http://s704.photobucket.com/user/Rikou-Namae/media/20150328_084518.jpg.html

Lightsaber size? 32" vs 37" 2 years 4 months ago #13189

• Knytiri
  • Banned
Looks like Amber to me. :)

Lightsaber size? 32" vs 37" 2 years 4 months ago #13190

• GreyFox
I have finally made up my mind about my saber lol
Gonna go for the cheaper option for my first :P

HILT FINISH WEATHERED
GRIP WRAP COLOR BROWN LEATHER
BELT CLASP NONE
BLADE COLOR YELLOW OR AMBER?
BLADE LED POWER 12W
BLADE TYPE STAFF 32 INCH
LED QUICK CONNECTS NONE
SABER STAND NONE

Lightsaber size? 32" vs 37" 2 years 4 months ago #13191

• GreyFox
Got the idea from Luno-Jays but I want to try that amber color instead of green
https://saberforgeforum.com/forum/disciple/903-weathered-warrior-disciple

Lightsaber size? 32" vs 37" 2 years 4 months ago #13193

• Knytiri
  • Banned
Amber is beautiful, a nice rich orangey-type color.

Image of a 6W amber next to a 12W blood orange, so you can see the coloring difference in contrast. :)

Lightsaber size? 32" vs 37" 2 years 4 months ago #13194

• GreyFox
Yeah i think Amber is the one for me :cheer:

Unless Yellow is any better..... you got any yellow sabers?

Lightsaber size? 32" vs 37" 2 years 4 months ago #13197

• Miraluka
  • Platinum Member
GreyFox wrote:
Miraluka what color is your lightsaber here? Amber, yellow ? it looks bad ass what ever it is!!

http://s704.photobucket.com/user/Rikou-Namae/media/20150328_084518.jpg.html

That is SF 12W Amber. Amber is a lovely color. It's not quite yellow, not quite orange. If you have an orange saber, amber looks yellow next to it. If you've got a yellow one, amber looks orange. Honestly, though, amber is my... third favorite color.

Here is SF amber next to a custom color of mine I like to call "crush" I took one with the lights out because the camera captured the true color better. Took one with the window open to show how much brighter it is than the SF.

That LED is going into a custom hilt I'm still working on. I'll post photos whenever I end up completing it. That orange is the brightest looking blade I've seen in person. It literally hurts my eyes.

This is my second favorite blade color. Another custom of mine. No name for it. Also crazy bright.

Anyways... yes, that was amber not yellow. I think you'll be happy with it if that's what you end up going with.

Lightsaber size? 32" vs 37" 2 years 4 months ago #13201

• GreyFox
Thanks Miraluka yeah I think amber is the way to go.

That custom blue is the F*cking best color i have ever seen on a lightsaber!!! :woohoo: If you were selling that LED I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Is your profile picture amber too?

Lightsaber size? 32" vs 37" 2 years 4 months ago #13202

• Miraluka
  • Platinum Member
Yeah, it's amber in my avatar, too.
That same saber has appeared anywhere from a straw-like golden yellow, to deep, almost red orange. Lighting and your camera can turn it many different shades. But the photo I posted and the one you asked about on my bucket are both pretty accurate to how it looks in person.

Also, thanks. I love that blue color as well.
Last Edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Miraluka.

Lightsaber size? 32" vs 37" 2 years 4 months ago #13203

• GreyFox
SWEET im gonna love amber then! I took your advice and ordered a 32" 12w amber Disciple so hyped :cheer:
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

• The Wait Begins 4.0 (838 Posts)
    • Any idea how long a typical wait is? I ordered a Ka' Tano with a custom finish in April. (#7683)
    • Uhoh, What have I done. (6 Posts)
    • Nice saber selections. I especially like the Heretic. Acid Weathering sounds like a nice touch....
    • Completed build. The curs... (5 Posts)
    • Yeah, Brax pretty much summed up my thoughts as well. Not my favorite style of design, but your...
    • Saber performance at Walt... (2 Posts)
    • You're awesome, dude. It's good to know nobody was injured in that accidental launch.
    • My Grey Jedi Cosplay (2 Posts)
    • The mask is putting out a Predator vibe.

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5834
  • Latest Member: wolfenwind
  • Total Posts: 60.7k
  • Total Topics: 5034
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 134
  • Today Open: 2
  • Yesterday Open: 3
  • Today Answer: 10
  • Yesterday Answer: 38