Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Saber turns off/resets when hit

Saber turns off/resets when hit 7 months 2 weeks ago #66582

• Zoltarion
I have an inquiry into support, but thought I would see if anyone has any ideas here. Basically, I received my nifty new sabers, but one of them turns off and resets when contacted. I haven't tried anything (as I really would have little idea what I'm doing), but if it's a simple fix, perhaps I can avoid sending it in.

Here's a quick video, which is pretty self-explanatory (if it posts).

Thoughts?

video link
Last Edit: 7 months 2 weeks ago by Zoltarion. Reason: added link
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Saber turns off/resets when hit 7 months 2 weeks ago #66585

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
  • "Either in belief or doubt, if I lean to one of these sides, my reaction time will be dulled if my heart thinks the opposite of what I choose."
  • Thank you received: 207
Your video didn't post, my friend. Is it on Youtube or a home video?

Emerald Knight, Chosen, Dark Paladin, Sentinel

Saber turns off/resets when hit 7 months 2 weeks ago #66588

• Zoltarion
Was just a quick video from my phone that I uploaded to my computer. Here is a YouTube link.

Last Edit: 7 months 2 weeks ago by OvrcAHst. Reason: corrected Video Upload

Saber turns off/resets when hit 7 months 2 weeks ago #66595

• ToyKeeper
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 85
Zoltarion wrote:
I have an inquiry into support, but thought I would see if anyone has any ideas here. Basically, I received my nifty new sabers, but one of them turns off and resets when contacted.
FWIW, if you have a charge port, some ports can have a weak spring which disconnects briefly under acceleration. This can cause a momentary interruption in power, causing a reset. The issue also appears to get worse when the battery is low, since lower voltage requires higher amps to equal the same amount of total power (and more amps are harder to push through a weak connection).

(well, it's not really a spring like a coil, more just a piece of metal under constant stress against another piece of metal... but basically the same thing)

This is why one of my sabers needs to keep a relatively full battery during use. I'll probably take it apart someday and fix it with a stronger port, but that won't be any time soon.
This is not the post you're looking for.
Last Edit: 7 months 2 weeks ago by ToyKeeper.

Saber turns off/resets when hit 7 months 2 weeks ago #66844

• Delmont
  • Thank you received: 1
I had the same thing happen. Ended up sending it back to them and had it fixed. Issue hasn't presented itself since I got my blade back and the whole thing took just around 2 weeks.

Saber turns off/resets when hit 7 months 2 weeks ago #66937

• Snakeeyz99
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 183
One of my coworkers had a similar issue with his Champion ASP kit. He sent the saber in for RMA to not violate warranty, but before he did I saw that the issue was some cold solder contacts that broke and were being held together by heat-shrink and dreams. When the saber was jostled around the board lost power and reset. It might be a similar issue or something else (as Toykeeper mentioned, a bad charge port could do it); either way, RMA is probably the best option if you're looking to keep the warranty.

Saber turns off/resets when hit 7 months 5 days ago #67339

• ToyKeeper
  • Premium Member
I'm debating what to do about mine. I've been seeing it reset at charges as high as 3.95V, which effectively makes it useless for dueling.

I could probably fix it myself, but I'm not sure I want to lose the warranty so soon. And, depending on what needs repair, it could be a pain to do. Or it could be a simple matter or touching an iron to the right place for a second.

Regardless, on my next build I plan to make things extra-sturdy. Light only, no sound, and the charge port actually bypassed while the clicky button is "on" so it won't matter if the port's internals get weak. Probably also 22AWG silicone-coated wire everywhere instead of the brittle weak stuff everyone seems to use. And a custom driver with current control on each channel instead of LED resistors, to avoid overload and dimming.

Saber turns off/resets when hit 6 months 3 weeks ago #67732

• Broll
  • Premium Member
  • Attatchment is forbidden. Possesion is forbidden. Compassion, which I would define as unconditional love, essential to a jedi's life. So you might say, that, we are encouraged to love.
  • Thank you received: 20
ToyKeeper wrote:
Zoltarion wrote:
I have an inquiry into support, but thought I would see if anyone has any ideas here. Basically, I received my nifty new sabers, but one of them turns off and resets when contacted.
FWIW, if you have a charge port, some ports can have a weak spring which disconnects briefly under acceleration. This can cause a momentary interruption in power, causing a reset. The issue also appears to get worse when the battery is low, since lower voltage requires higher amps to equal the same amount of total power (and more amps are harder to push through a weak connection).

(well, it's not really a spring like a coil, more just a piece of metal under constant stress against another piece of metal... but basically the same thing)

This is why one of my sabers needs to keep a relatively full battery during use. I'll probably take it apart someday and fix it with a stronger port, but that won't be any time soon.

Any reason why this would happen without a charge port? I had my first higher intensity battle with my V1 ASP over the weekend and it did fine at first, but after a bit it was turning off on me every other hit. I believe the battery was fully charged, but not 100%. I was using a battery that I had charged probably 1 month ago that was sitting on my desk for a month. The light did not look dim at all.
Sabers owned:
  1. Non-SF Hilt-only ANH Luke
  2. Kickstarter ASP (Champion)
  3. Venom (Champion) [Wife's]
  4. ASP (Hero)
  5. Arbiter (Initiate)

Saber turns off/resets when hit 6 months 3 weeks ago #67734

• Snakeeyz99
  • Platinum Member
Broll wrote:
ToyKeeper wrote:
Zoltarion wrote:

Any reason why this would happen without a charge port? I had my first higher intensity battle with my V1 ASP over the weekend and it did fine at first, but after a bit it was turning off on me every other hit. I believe the battery was fully charged, but not 100%. I was using a battery that I had charged probably 1 month ago that was sitting on my desk for a month. The light did not look dim at all.

Broll, does this only happen when the blade is contacted or does it also do this when you wave it around? Also, did you get champion or warrior tier?

Saber turns off/resets when hit 6 months 3 weeks ago #67735

• Broll
  • Premium Member
  • Attatchment is forbidden. Possesion is forbidden. Compassion, which I would define as unconditional love, essential to a jedi's life. So you might say, that, we are encouraged to love.
Only during contact, which is why I hadn't noticed it, I wave it around on my own all the time, but rarely battle.

Champion, the one with sound.
Sabers owned:
  4. ASP (Hero)
  5. Arbiter (Initiate)

Saber turns off/resets when hit 6 months 3 weeks ago #67736

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 586
It's the battery jostling in the holder (less noticeable in Warrior hilts since the saber might briefly flash but turn back on when the circuit re-connects).

Fixes I've seen are (A) tightening the velcro around the cell and (B ) dropping metal washers between the battery contacts and holder to increase tension on the spring.
Last Edit: 6 months 3 weeks ago by Kouri.

Saber turns off/resets when hit 6 months 3 weeks ago #67741

• Broll
  • Premium Member
Kouri wrote:
It's the battery jostling in the holder (less noticeable in Warrior hilts since the saber might briefly flash but turn back on when the circuit re-connects).

I don't think this is the issue. If this were the case I would expect that when the battery made it's connection again it would announce the board type like it does any other time I plug it in. I know there have been times I've had trouble getting the batter in and it's connected / disconnected / reconnected and I heard the board announcement twice. In this case it was just contact, blade goes dark, press the button, blade comes back on. I'll find something to hit it into tonight and play with it some.
Sabers owned:
  4. ASP (Hero)
  5. Arbiter (Initiate)

Saber turns off/resets when hit 6 months 3 weeks ago #67746

• Snakeeyz99
  • Platinum Member
Broll wrote:
Kouri wrote:

I don't think this is the issue. If this were the case I would expect that when the battery made it's connection again it would announce the board type like it does any other time I plug it in. I know there have been times I've had trouble getting the batter in and it's connected / disconnected / reconnected and I heard the board announcement twice. In this case it was just contact, blade goes dark, press the button, blade comes back on. I'll find something to hit it into tonight and play with it some.

This is a bit strange... if it was a battery issue you would hear the boot sound when the power came back on. If it were an LED/wiring issue pressing the button wouldn't reignite the saber, it would just turn on once the leads touched again. Does the saber play a retraction noise when it turns off? If so it might be a switch issue... otherwise, maybe a bridged connection on the board or an issue with the logic in the MCU regarding the clash sensor? I'm not sure.

Saber turns off/resets when hit 6 months 3 weeks ago #67747

• Broll
  • Premium Member
Snakeeyz99 wrote:
Broll wrote:
Kouri wrote:

This is a bit strange... if it was a battery issue you would hear the boot sound when the power came back on. If it were an LED/wiring issue pressing the button wouldn't reignite the saber, it would just turn on once the leads touched again. Does the saber play a retraction noise when it turns off? If so it might be a switch issue... otherwise, maybe a bridged connection on the board or an issue with the logic in the MCU regarding the clash sensor? I'm not sure.

There were four of us all goofing around with them at once at this point so I couldn't hear. My initial reaction that night was I was hitting the button with my hand by mistake, however just tapping the button should have done force lighting. I'll play with it tonight and see if I can duplicate the circumstance in a quieter setting.
Sabers owned:
  4. ASP (Hero)
  5. Arbiter (Initiate)

Saber turns off/resets when hit 3 months 3 weeks ago #70639

• ToyKeeper
  • Premium Member
Any cracked solder joint, exposed wire, or other source of shorts or disconnects could cause this issue. In general, if there's a flaky connection, it'll tend to have worse symptoms as the battery gets lower. Lower voltage means more amps to achieve the same effect, and more amps means more sensitive to marginal connections. It's not necessarily the physical shock which causes a reboot; it can be the spike in amps drawn when the saber tries to perform a clash... typically playing a louder sound and lighting up a bit brighter.

It can also happen when a wire rubs against something sharp. It can eventually wear through and cause a short.

My hero-tier saber reboots so much it's unusable, and I finally remembered to send in a support ticket for it a few days ago. Hopefully I can get SF to fix it in January. Otherwise I'll have to take it apart and fix it myself, which would void the warranty and risk breaking things worse.

I built a hero-equivalent saber for someone for the holiday, and it works really well. It reminded me of how much I miss mine, so I hope SF can get it fixed soon. :)

Member Login

Latest Posts

• RBGA vs Specific color (8 Posts)
    • I find RGB Tri-cree (or rebel stars) to be brighter than the X4 RGBA on single diode colors, or...
    • Green vs Lime Green (1 Posts)
    • I've been doing some customizing on the cosmetics of my Hasbro Obi-Wan ROTS, and I wanted to get...
    • Youtube: Saberforge Aeon (5 Posts)
    • Anxious to get this one on my work bench too. Like to see how it looks next to my Epoch.
    • Youtube: Saberforge Aeon (5 Posts)
    • Another great review, as always! I love this hilt, especially in that Standard finish. I always...
    • What Blade Length Should ... (9 Posts)
    • I'm 6'3" with a Venomous Fury and I prefer the 37" blades for screen accuracy. I prefer the thick...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 4946
  • Latest Member: BarbaraPycle
  • Total Posts: 54.8k
  • Total Topics: 4501
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119
  • Today Open: 4
  • Yesterday Open: 5
  • Today Answer: 16
  • Yesterday Answer: 23