Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Charging battery outside the US

Charging battery outside the US 7 months 1 week ago #69375

• Daedalus
  • "Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." - Han Solo
  • Thank you received: 12
I'm a bit worried whether my Archon'll blow out if I charge it here in Belgium. We've got 220V outlets here and if memory serves the US uses 230V outlets. I'm a total n00b when it comes to electronics. :unsure:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Charging battery outside the US 7 months 1 week ago #69381

• Snakeeyz99
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 188
Maybe someone from Europe can elaborate, but I know SF has American and European chargers available (I don't know oif they check the address or whether you need to specify in the order notes). Also, the US mostly uses 120V electricity which has a very distinct receptacle shape compared to the EU:

They design it like this largely so you don't accidentally plug devices into outlets of the wrong voltage.

Charging battery outside the US 7 months 1 week ago #69386

• Gnost-Dural
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 48
I live in Australia, and it takes roughly 12 hours for an 18650 battery to charge from flat. I'm using the chargers that came with ASP, with an adapter. Electric current here in Oz is 240V.

Charging battery outside the US 7 months 1 week ago #69394

• Daedalus
  • "Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." - Han Solo
Well, when I placed my order I asked if it were possible to get an EU charger instead of an US one. Guess I'll find out when my order arrivés.

Charging battery outside the US 7 months 1 week ago #69443

• Tech_God
  • Thank you received: 9
OK, the U.S uses 110 outlets. Europe is 220V. In the old days, using devices between those two worlds had dire consequences. In today's world however, most power supplies & chargers are "switchers" in which the voltage is not a big deal. Look at your charger. My charger supplied from Saberforge ranges from 110V to 240V. The unit will determine the voltage input and make adjustments

If you have a Saberforge charger, what you need is an adapter (assuming you moved from the U.S. to Europe) that will let a U.S. plug work with a European socket. So, what you need for a switcher is a mechanical apapter to make one plug to work with a non-matching electrical socket.

edit: I'm assuming that if you let Saberforge know your location, they will supply the correct charger. If they don't, let them know & they can supply you with the correct "mechanical" version or you can just buy an adapter. Either way, voltage is not your issue. You just need to put a square peg in a round hole :P
Last Edit: 7 months 1 week ago by Tech_God.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Daedalus

Charging battery outside the US 7 months 1 week ago #69448

• Daedalus
Yeah, I asked SF to get an EU charger (if possible)

Tnx for the clarification.

Charging battery outside the US 6 months 4 weeks ago #69762

• paeniteo
  • Thank you received: 4
I got an EU charger without explicitly asking for it.
They do probably check the shipping country by themselves.

As a sidenote, I have hardly ever encountered difficulties in operating EU electronics in the US and vice versa. All you need is an adapter for the different forms of power plugs, but pretty much every power converter nowadays is specified for something like "Input: 100V .. 240V" and as such operates pretty much everywhere in the world.
You will find this information directly printed on all good power converters.

My EU power supply says this:
INPUT: 100-240V ~ 50/60Hz 0.35A
OUTPUT: 4.2V ... 3000mA
In other words, it even has some tolerance for the common US voltage of 110V (or was it 115V?) and the EU voltage of 230V, since the voltages that are being supplied are varying a little bit all the time anyway (by the way, Germany used to have 220V and there was not much trouble when they increased the network voltage to 230V to adjust to a Europe-wide norm).

Charging battery outside the US 6 months 4 weeks ago #69797

• Neesh Kedoo
  • Thank you received: 14
I got an european charger for the Monarch hero, and takes only around one hour to charge.

Charging battery outside the US 6 months 4 weeks ago #69803

• Daedalus
Oh goodie. Then I can rest easy :P

Charging battery outside the US 5 months 3 weeks ago #70673

• Darth Zerus
  • Thank you received: 2
anyone know if you can use a VAPE/E-CIG 18650 battery as opposed to the one they provide in the site?

I vape and the batteries I use are these ones - http://www.victoryvape.com.au/collections/accessories/products/lg-hg2-18650-battery-3000-mah-20a-continuous

I am located in Australia, if I purchase the 18650 charger (I am getting a stunt saber) - has anyone gotten an Australian plug version of this?

Charging battery outside the US 5 months 3 weeks ago #70679

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 608
Khariot wrote:
anyone know if you can use a VAPE/E-CIG 18650 battery as opposed to the one they provide in the site?

Saber electronics often don't provide their own protection and rely on the thermal/current/voltage protection circuits of protected-lithium-ion cells. You take your own risk trying to use an unprotected cell in a hilt. It's possible for the cell to short out inside the aluminum body, or the LED might very well drain the cell below the 2.5v safe limit. At least, you risk damaging the cell. Worst case, you're looking at a serious fire hazard.

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Saberforge DIY parts (6 Posts)
    • Hi DarthSauron, Nice design, it reminds me of Cade Skywalker's hilt from the "Legacy" series of...
    • Trades (2 Posts)
    • I would say I'm not against trades, but usually..speaking for myself, I'm selling a Saber because...
    • The Wait Begins 4.0 (744 Posts)
    • Thanks. I've been contemplating buying some ASP parts, that gives me an idea of how fast they could...
    • Trades (2 Posts)
    • So does anybody actually like to trade than buy sabers?

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5272
  • Latest Member: AlbertKt
  • Total Posts: 56.2k
  • Total Topics: 4696
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 3
  • Today Answer: 3
  • Yesterday Answer: 10