Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Suggestions for Saberstaff Hilt & Blade Length

Suggestions for Saberstaff Hilt & Blade Length 10 months 4 weeks ago #70351

• KiakahiSonic7
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 81
Hey, guys.

I'm back again. Haha. Anyways, here's the thing: I'm likely only going to be purchasing three more hilts from SaberForge for a while thanks to rising tuition/cost of living here on Maui and that includes my first ASP Hilt (codenamed "Ventus") and my first saberstaff. The thing is, I'm a tall guy with broad shoulders (6' 3" tall with 20" wide shoulders and about a 6-foot wingspan). As a result, whenever I wield a staff, I use a combat-oriented fighting style with a wide gripping range, but I also can perform flashier moves like behind-the-back and overhead spins. I need the hilt + blades to be shorter than 7 feet long so the blade tips don't scrape the floor when I do those spins, and I'm trying to keep it down to the apprentice-level hilts for the sake of cost. Can anyone suggest any apprentice hilt/blade length combinations that would suit this complex style of staff-wielding? Thanks.
Last Edit: 10 months 4 weeks ago by KiakahiSonic7.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Suggestions for Saberstaff Hilt & Blade Length 10 months 4 weeks ago #70352

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 643
Maybe a Consular staff? I have seen one on youtube and it looks quite neat with those windows, a very balanced looking staff, though I have not held a Consular staff before.
"I am the Senate"

Suggestions for Saberstaff Hilt & Blade Length 10 months 4 weeks ago #70363

• ElectricJesus
  • Thank you received: 5
I just put together a consular staff with the long coupler and 2 short blades and it is almost exactly six feet long.

Almost all of the apprentice hilts should be manageable. If you pick one of the longer hilts, get the short coupler.

If i were to switch up to two 32" blades it would be almost exactly 7 feet long.

6-6.5 feet is probably plenty long though. I am 6' 3" and have a large frame as well and i am just barely missing the floor on some lower spins.

Edit: 6' length is with pommels removed, screwed together with coupler, and blades inserted and tightened.
Last Edit: 10 months 4 weeks ago by ElectricJesus. Reason: Added info

Suggestions for Saberstaff Hilt & Blade Length 10 months 4 weeks ago #70364

• ElectricJesus
Forgot to mention, the consulars with the long coupler and no blades is about 2' long, and i find that to be a bit short for a wide grip. To take a wide grip i have to hold the grooves just below the emitter, and its still feels a little close together. Something to keep in mind.

Its good for me because i'm mostly using it for spinning and putting on a show anyway, and a close grip means faster rotations.

Suggestions for Saberstaff Hilt & Blade Length 10 months 4 weeks ago #70368

• KiakahiSonic7
  • Premium Member
Thanks, guys. Don't forget to take into account that the pommel will be missing from the hilt, so that will take away from the total length. Plus, male threaded sections are about 0.25 inches long, so you'll also have to subtract that from the total length. How about a saberstaff made of two current Bastions or Arbiters? Anyone in favor of those?

Suggestions for Saberstaff Hilt & Blade Length 10 months 3 weeks ago #70439

• OvrcAHst
  • War. Mostly Dark, Often Grey, Sometimes Light
  • Thank you received: 1690
Got no cents to add on Bastions or Arbiters but ic3cold's got a Bastion Staff setup here (with a grander setup on the following page) and with bias, am loving my Forsaken setup here.... and of course there's one of the GM Staves teased here. ;)

Suggestions for Saberstaff Hilt & Blade Length 10 months 3 weeks ago #70451

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
KiakahiSonic7 wrote:
Thanks, guys. Don't forget to take into account that the pommel will be missing from the hilt, so that will take away from the total length. Plus, male threaded sections are about 0.25 inches long, so you'll also have to subtract that from the total length. How about a saberstaff made of two current Bastions or Arbiters? Anyone in favor of those?

My next choice would be the Bastion. Staff with windows make compelling presence. The Bastion's windows are quite unusual. Trick is to get two Bastions lined up if you are fussy with alignment. Advantage with the Consular is that alignment is a non-issue when making a staff.
"I am the Senate"

Suggestions for Saberstaff Hilt & Blade Length 10 months 3 weeks ago #70456

• =Ottomatix=
  • Platinum Member
  • "The fear of loss is a Path to the Darkside, Train yourself to Let Go of everything you Fear to Lose"
  • Thank you received: 539
non-issue with a consular Staff lining up!? plz explain because if the switches dont line up and thats what is desired,how is that not an issue specifically to the Consular.??? :unsure:

Suggestions for Saberstaff Hilt & Blade Length 10 months 3 weeks ago #70457

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
Apart from the switches, that's obvious. So for the Consular, it's hook 'em up and you're good to go, unless the switches really bother the perfectionists.
"I am the Senate"

Suggestions for Saberstaff Hilt & Blade Length 10 months 3 weeks ago #70474

• KiakahiSonic7
  • Premium Member
Thanks for the input, everyone. Oh, also, what blade color do you think I should pick, guys? I was thinking Frost White since it has a bit of a silvery-blue tiny to it. Any other suggestions aside from Red, Green, Light Blue, and Arctic Blue? Thanks.

Suggestions for Saberstaff Hilt & Blade Length 10 months 3 weeks ago #70476

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
KiakahiSonic7 wrote:
Thanks for the input, everyone. Oh, also, what blade color do you think I should pick, guys? I was thinking Frost White since it has a bit of a silvery-blue tiny to it. Any other suggestions aside from Red, Green, Light Blue, and Arctic Blue? Thanks.

You are a blue dude, so why not go with a blue? Frost White is essentially white, the blue is very subtle. Or you could custom a Frost Blue which has a subtle blue but not a blue. Arctic Blue would be nice.
"I am the Senate"

Suggestions for Saberstaff Hilt & Blade Length 10 months 3 weeks ago #70478

• KiakahiSonic7
  • Premium Member
Execute66 wrote:
You are a blue dude, so why not go with a blue? Frost White is essentially white, the blue is very subtle. Or you could custom a Frost Blue which has a subtle blue but not a blue. Arctic Blue would be nice.

Because I'm trying to change it up a bit and not be too redundant. I'm thinking either Frost White, Medium Blue, Deep Blue, or Yellow. Those are my ideas.

Suggestions for Saberstaff Hilt & Blade Length 10 months 3 weeks ago #70480

• OvrcAHst
KiakahiSonic7 wrote:
Any other suggestions aside from Red, Green, Light Blue, and Arctic Blue? Thanks.

Yellow.

From Top:
SF Cree RO+G (think Frost Yellow)
SF Cree 12w+ Yellow
Lux Reb Lime+PCAmber

Suggestions for Saberstaff Hilt & Blade Length 10 months 3 weeks ago #70481

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
Well, given you already have Arctic and Light blues, why not Medium? It's the brightest blue by SF, however if you are looking for more contrast then go with Deep Blue.

Yellow is nice, you might like to consider Yellow Day Blades with the yellow. The V4 Infinity works well, I also think the Yellow Day Blade does a great gob.

For the blues, in my opinion stay with the V4 Infinity, no need for the Blue Day Blade because it is a very dark blue polycarbonate that will not contrast any of the blue LED well.
"I am the Senate"

Suggestions for Saberstaff Hilt & Blade Length 10 months 3 weeks ago #70621

• Drahem
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 27
How tall is the OP? Depending on how tall you are, the 37 in blades might make it difficult to wield.
I own, Relic, Archons x2. Bane x2. Templar.

Suggestions for Saberstaff Hilt & Blade Length 10 months 3 weeks ago #70625

• KiakahiSonic7
  • Premium Member
Execute66 wrote:
Well, given you already have Arctic and Light blues, why not Medium? It's the brightest blue by SF, however if you are looking for more contrast then go with Deep Blue.

Yellow is nice.

Okay, Ex66 prefers Medium Blue and OvrcAHst says Yellow. Any other ideas/votes?

Suggestions for Saberstaff Hilt & Blade Length 10 months 2 weeks ago #70626

• ElectricJesus
My suggestion would be get a color you like personally.

I've seen a few saberstaffs and they all look great, but if you get a color we decide for you, you run the risk of not liking it once it arrives.

That being said, my consular staff is yellow, and ive also seen a green consular staff that looked pretty awesome too. If you want blue, my recommendation would be the medium blue. Its a very nice shade of blue and exceptionally bright

Suggestions for Saberstaff Hilt & Blade Length 10 months 2 weeks ago #70637

• OvrcAHst

YYYYellooooooow!!

Embrace the Asian. Just Saiyan.

Just Super Saiyan.
and with anticipating your next Public Poll, you can name the Staff: Vegeta.

or Kakarot.

:P You've got Arctic Blue, Light Blue and a soon to be realised Air Blue. It's almost like Blue is your favourite colour or something, that or it accents your room wall colour and wardrobe choice most effectively. :lol:

Could always go QC both shortlisted finalists with likely the Bastion (can't comment on availability with other Apprentice Sabers) or as Ex66 favours the effects of Day Blades, mix it up with Medium Blue through Yellow/Amber vs Yellow through Blue?

otherwise, simply make a call before it lands..

Suggestions for Saberstaff Hilt & Blade Length 10 months 1 week ago #70850

• KiakahiSonic7
  • Premium Member
Haha. Again with the puns, OvrcAHst? Anyways, one more quick question, how long is the long staff coupler (minus the threaded sections)?
The following user(s) said Thank You: OvrcAHst

Suggestions for Saberstaff Hilt & Blade Length 10 months 1 week ago #71014

• OvrcAHst
KiakahiSonic7 wrote:
Haha. Again with the puns, OvrcAHst?
:lol: :P
Anyways, one more quick question, how long is the long staff coupler (minus the threaded sections)?
Dunno. Can't help you on this one as I don't own the long coupler. Site reads the LC as 4" but that includes the threads. Not sure if some math can deduce the length (less threads) but using the Short Coupler, that reads as 1.75" and the actual without threads = 1.3".
Maybe someone that has that part can chime in for your assist? :unsure:
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Kylo Ren - NeoPixel Cross... (28 Posts)
    • Was asked for some low-light ignition demos after psoting the ComicCon vid, so here's a sample of...
    • Tell Us What You Got! (224 Posts)
    • Going through all these pics as got me reaching for my wallet! I'm ordering one next paycheck, its...
    • What your saber says abou... (11 Posts)
    • OK, I'm in. Shai, your hilt design at first made me think Sith, but with your choice of blade color,...
    • What your saber says abou... (11 Posts)
    • Because I very much enjoy this game, I am going to go ahead and judge all of the sabers in this...
    • Tell Us What You Got! (224 Posts)
    • Quote: Just got my shipping notification! Hopefully yours wont be far off too. It took about 2 weeks to get...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5999
  • Latest Member: WTRR
  • Total Posts: 61.7k
  • Total Topics: 5142
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 134
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 1
  • Today Answer: 8
  • Yesterday Answer: 20