Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Energy vibration

Energy vibration 11 months 1 week ago #70743

• DemonLichKing
Hello everyone !
I plan to buy an Exhalted saber Champion Tier, and I noticed that the option "Energy vibration" was available for $25 more.
My questions : is it worth it ? what does it really bring ? is it possible to mute it ?
Thanks a lot !
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Energy vibration 11 months 6 days ago #70763

• Snakeeyz99
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 188
The energy vibration is nice, but not really necessary. It'll make your hilt pulse at the same rate as your blade. They do this by tying the motor in parallel with the LED, so it will be enabled whenever the LED is on and will "weaken" when the LED gets dimmer, allowing it to match the pulse or flicker of the LED seamlessly.

Overall the effect for me has been pretty cool, and adds a nice sensation when you hold the running saber in your hands (I keep my blade at a slow pulse, so it feels like the hilt is breathing somewhat). I'm not really a dueler so I can't say much about its impact on a fight.

It's not possible to mute without modding in an inline switch on the vibration motor wiring, though, so if you're looking to extend the battery life of your saber you may be in for a rough time. Also not entirely sure if it's worth the 25 dollars, but if you want to go the extra mile it's a decent choice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Execute66, Greysider, DemonLichKing

Energy vibration 11 months 6 days ago #70764

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 654
I don't own any saber with this feature but I did hold one before Christmas on a hilt made by another company. On that saber it vibrated when flash on clash was activated in the usual way. To be honest, this would the last electronic feature that even comes close to interesting me after that experience. It felt kind of gimmicky and my view is the less unnecessary electronics in there, the less likely things will fail. Whether is it worth it, is really a personal decision.

You asked a very good question on whether is it possible to switch it off. I imagine after a while it might get a little annoying.
"I am the Senate"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Greysider, DemonLichKing

Energy vibration 11 months 6 days ago #70766

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
Snakeeyz99 wrote:
The energy vibration is nice, but not really necessary. It'll make your hilt pulse at the same rate as your blade. They do this by tying the motor in parallel with the LED, so it will be enabled whenever the LED is on and will "weaken" when the LED gets dimmer, allowing it to match the pulse or flicker of the LED seamlessly.

Overall the effect for me has been pretty cool, and adds a nice sensation when you hold the running saber in your hands (I keep my blade at a slow pulse, so it feels like the hilt is breathing somewhat). I'm not really a dueler so I can't say much about its impact on a fight.

It's not possible to mute without modding in an inline switch on the vibration motor wiring, though, so if you're looking to extend the battery life of your saber you may be in for a rough time. Also not entirely sure if it's worth the 25 dollars, but if you want to go the extra mile it's a decent choice.

For someone dueling heavily and or spinning heavily, would that pulsating effect distort the grip feel of the hilt? I imagine it could at high speed spinning where grip feel and wrist work are critical.
"I am the Senate"
The following user(s) said Thank You: DemonLichKing

Energy vibration 11 months 6 days ago #70769

• Snakeeyz99
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 188
It would probably have some sort of negative effect on really high level spinning or dueling... I can only imagine your hands feeling like they do after mowing the lawn with a push mower for half an hour; just a little, nagging numbness. There would probably be at least a small adjustment period. On the other hand, the vibration also has a kind of zen feeling when not using it super actively.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DemonLichKing

Energy vibration 11 months 6 days ago #70775

• Kenjimoon
  • looking for wisdom, not power.
  • Thank you received: 4
I just ordered a champion chosen hilt with the vibration, mostly because it's new and I'm impulsive haha... hope it's not obnoxious
Yoda: [still looking at Luke] He is too old. Yes. Too old to begin the training.

Luke Skywalker: But I've learned so much.

Energy vibration 11 months 6 days ago #70777

• DemonLichKing
Thank you for your answers ! I think I won't take this feature for my new saber. But maybe I'll take it for another one if I don't use the saber for dueling, just to give it a try.

Energy vibration 10 months 2 weeks ago #71608

• jtrevino81
  • Thank you received: 2
I wonder how strong it is. If anyone has this can you confirm if it causes a numbing effect?

Energy vibration 10 months 2 weeks ago #71612

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 414
Slightly, yes. Gloves will help. It's nothing like if you were using power tools though.

And it should be noted that it is standard on the Champion PnP kits in the ASP section, and tends to interfere with the motion sensor on settings 5-10 and cause "phantom swings" (at least in my saber).

I could have done without it, and it would be nice to have the option on the PnP kits.
Last Edit: 10 months 2 weeks ago by KelbornX.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtrevino81

Energy vibration 10 months 2 weeks ago #71616

• Dioggi
  • Thank you received: 1
I've got it in my ASP, and it's kind of nice. It's an interesting feature that makes it more realistic IMO.

Caveat - I noticed the "phantom swing" effect and it really annoyed me, so I voided the warranty and sliced open the shrink wrapped package and am rewiring everything inside a 3D printed chassis. I plan to attach the vibration motor to the switch section so it sits right where I hold the saber one-handed, and the rest of the bits will sit in the chassis.

in short - is it worth the money? That's a subjective question and I can't answer it for you. Personally though, I'm a fan. I wouldn't pay $25 for it again knowing what the motor costs online, but buying the motor on its own requires you to install it yourself, which for my first saber, wasn't an option.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtrevino81

Energy vibration 10 months 2 weeks ago #71634

• Lumen_Cordis
  • "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
  • Thank you received: 7
I just got my ASP saber (with PnP electronics) and I really love the vibration. It makes the saber feel more "alive" when it's on. I haven't noticed "phantom swings" but I also prefer to keep my motion sensitivity level lower than what others were mentioning.

As far as a numbing effect goes, I would say that there is a noticeable effect, but I wouldn't call it bad. Like KelbornX said, it's nothing compared to a power tool. It's more similar to the vibration power of an electric toothbrush than a power drill.

The vibration is a pretty small effect, but I don't think that I would particularly want a saber without the vibration.
"Life is about trying things to see if they work."
-Ray Bradbury

Energy vibration 1 week 4 days ago #82718

• Dauntless 7
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 95
Hi all. Back to this topic again. Got out my electric toothbrush which I don't use on my teeth as did not enjoy the vibration in my mouth. It wasn't so bad and almost like a hand massage. But if using the saber for awhile it might become repetitively irritating.

So here's my questions. How does this work with a stunt saber that has no flash/clash/pulse effects ? Is the rumble sound as obviously auditory noisy as that toothbrush ? Likely can't change out the levels.

I would appreciate any feedback and opinions about whether to add on this feature... as have to order my stunt Ronin today. :)

For those that are not aware a rc port automatically comes with the Warrior Ronin because the battery is situated so high in the hilt that there is not an easy way to remove it.
Last Edit: 1 week 4 days ago by Dauntless 7.

Energy vibration 1 week 4 days ago #82722

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 414
Simple answer: the Energy Vibration is not available on stunt sabers. Once you select "Warrior tier" the Energy Vibration option goes away.

And yes, it does add noise. It'll give a buzzing undertone to the soundfonts. For sound sabers, good bass speaker already gives enough vibration feedback for me that I don't think a rumble motor is ever necessary.

At the first con my buddy and I took my sabers to, I was carrying a VV saber and a custom installed Xiphos while he had my one ASP (the Dark Crusader) with the Crimson kit... after about 45 minutes he pretty much just left it on his belt while I carried the blade in my blade bag.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dauntless 7

Energy vibration 1 week 4 days ago #82725

• Dauntless 7
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 95
Thanks Kel. This makes my decision a whole lot easier. I have found that when initially ordering that one has to double check that the tier remains the same as what was intended. Don't know why it flips to another level. I only notice when the cost of the add on's is usually so much more. SF really wants me to get a hero version lol. :dry:

Energy vibration 1 week 3 days ago #82730

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
I have the vibration on ASP Professional Services only because it comes standard when SF technicians install it. Normally I do not order it otherwise.
"I am the Senate"

Energy vibration 1 week 3 days ago #82731

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • That guy.
  • Thank you received: 736
Dauntless 7 wrote:
SF really wants me to get a hero version lol.

Well if you can ever swing the cash - I'm a big fan of those NEC boards.

I'm in the middle of wrapping up a dueling Crossguard with the Hero board's big brother.
Last Edit: 1 week 3 days ago by Kouri.

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Saber Core 3.0 getting ... (16 Posts)
    • All settings on this screen are font specific. So, if you zero it for font 1, and save, it should...
    • I'm pretty sure 0 is per font, haven't ever set to 0 myself so don't know if 0 turns off vibration...
    • Quote: volume can be set to 0 but it will affect the whole font Just the one font or all 3? Volume zero...
    • Hmm, possible software update @brax? Option for mute on each Font slot setting volume and...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6137
  • Latest Member: AIRWALK
  • Total Posts: 62.4k
  • Total Topics: 5227
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 136
  • Today Open: 1
  • Yesterday Open: 0
  • Today Answer: 16
  • Yesterday Answer: 5