Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: What is the best apprentice saber for spinning?

What is the best apprentice saber for spinning? 5 months 2 weeks ago #70929

• NIGHTBRINGER
  • Thank you received: 4
Hey Everyone

I'm looking at picking up an apprentice saber for spinning. I've heard that all the apprentice sabers work well for spinning, but I was wondering how they compare with each other. Which apprentice saber is best in regards to spinning/tricks?

Stylistically the two that have caught my eye are the Arbiter and the Disciple. I'd love to know how these to match up against one another in terms of spinning.

Thanks in advance!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What is the best apprentice saber for spinning? 5 months 2 weeks ago #70951

• For Tyeth
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 822
Hi NIGHTBRINGER,

I have the Disciple and I kept it as a Shelf Queen for 6 months when I got it. Eventually I decided I needed to use the flippin' thing and took the plunge. Within two weeks I had nailed the Obi-Ani (Plum Blossom Spin) with weapon and off weapon hand. This after not picking up a serious saber in 30 years (did fencing when I was 10, but had to give up as club closed! My plastic Hasbro hilts don't really count!)

The Disciple, and sister hilt the Acolyte have a great choke point (Slightly sharp emitter fork but you wouldn't be gripping the hilt that high on the emitter, only a slight problem when performing hand switches). The Arbiter and it's sister hilt, the newer Sentinel share similar distinctive chokes but without the fork to worry about.

Another maybe more flexible saber might be the Consular, as it has a few ridges which could be used as choke points. This would help with the balance of the saber when using different lengths/weights of blade. Might be an older model but an option.

As I say I only have a Disciple but I haven't heard any bad comments about the Apprentice hilts to be fair. (The Bastion may be a bit smooth, i.e. not a lot to stop your hand slipping in way of a choke point. The Chosen and Forsaken (Etsy) choke may be a bit tight, i.e. the first indent of the thin neck section next to the grenade are more angular, less rounded, but the grip should still be ok).

I am sure other members can chip in with comments about the one I don't have! Hope this helps and good luck with your spinning.

EDIT: While typing this TheGrandAdmiral has posted about his Bastion and discusses it's grip characteristics. His thread is HERE.
Last Edit: 5 months 2 weeks ago by For Tyeth. Reason: Added link to TGA's Bastion thread.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RotundChap, NIGHTBRINGER

What is the best apprentice saber for spinning? 5 months 2 weeks ago #70955

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 505
For spinning, I quite like the Consular. It feels right, as it is quite compact, a ridge around the neck.
"I am the Senate"
The following user(s) said Thank You: For Tyeth, NIGHTBRINGER

What is the best apprentice saber for spinning? 5 months 2 weeks ago #70956

• TheGrandAdmiral
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 114
Since For Tyeth alerted me to this thread after linking to my review, I can go ahead and throw in a couple of things here. I will concur that the Disciple is good for spinning, although in my opinion, not the best of the apprentice hilts. Obviously the Acolyte will be of equal use as it is the same minus the wrap.

The Bastion is not your answer. It can be spun, but as mentioned in my review, the hilt does not present any defined grip points, which does detract from being able to spin it in my opinion.

Now, this comment will spoil what my next review is, as well as the free saber I got with my original order, but of the Apprentice hilts I own, the Arbiter is easily the best to spin. While it features a similar indent to the disciple, it is a smoother groove, and works (for me at least) the best. Obviously, its counterpart saber the Sentinel will perform the same if you would rather have a wrap on your hilt.

This of course, leaves us with 3 sabers I don't own, the Chosen, the Oracle, and the Consular. Now, from pictures of the Oracle, its grip point looks most similar to the Disciple/Acolyte, so I would guess it would be a good spinner, but not quite as good as the Arbiter/Sentinel. The Chosen would likely work well, although the grip point may be a little smaller than on the others from what I can estimate by the pictures. The Consular is the most dissimilar hilt to all the rest, and I would guess it would work quite well, although personally I prefer one defined point for the top of my hand, instead of the 3 grooved design of the Consular.

Bear in mind that I do not use my sabers all that much, and my opinions are a little limited, but that's just a big old list of my ideas on the matter. No matter which apprentice hilt you pick, all will work relatively well for spinning, by virtue of the apprentice sabers being one piece of aluminium, they have little to get in the way, although there are in my experience a couple that work better than others :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: KelbornX, For Tyeth, NIGHTBRINGER

What is the best apprentice saber for spinning? 5 months 2 weeks ago #70958

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 220
TheGrandAdmiral wrote:
The Consular is the most dissimilar hilt to all the rest, and I would guess it would work quite well, although personally I prefer one defined point for the top of my hand, instead of the 3 grooved design of the Consular.

I personally do not like spinning the Consular for that very reason... the three grooves make the top grip awkward in my opinion.
Aeon, Arbiter, Bastion, Consular, Gladius, Phoenix, Resilient (staff), Vanquish, Vengeance, Xiphos (2)
ASP Dark Crusader, ASP Claíomh Solais
Last Edit: 5 months 2 weeks ago by KelbornX.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NIGHTBRINGER

What is the best apprentice saber for spinning? 5 months 2 weeks ago #70961

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 266
Acolyte handles very easy.

But I'd actually go with the Bastion - with a few modifications: You need to trim down the retention screws and sand down som eof the sharp edges along the "switch" section and emitter area. Once you've done that it spins very well.

What is the best apprentice saber for spinning? 5 months 2 weeks ago #70987

• NIGHTBRINGER
Thanks everyone for the great advice! B)
The following user(s) said Thank You: For Tyeth

What is the best apprentice saber for spinning? 5 months 2 weeks ago #71003

• RotundChap
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 41
KelbornX wrote:
TheGrandAdmiral wrote:
The Consular is the most dissimilar hilt to all the rest, and I would guess it would work quite well, although personally I prefer one defined point for the top of my hand, instead of the 3 grooved design of the Consular.

I personally do not like spinning the Consular for that very reason... the three grooves make the top grip awkward in my opinion.

The groves make the Consular my favorite for spins. I usually make the "ok" symbol with my thumb and index finger when spinning, releasing my grip with my remaining fingers. The groves allow my middle and ring fingers to fall back in to place extremely easily at the end of the spin. The grip is also fantastic for dueling, but that's a different thread lol.

I also have a Sentinel and love it's grip too. Since it's the sister saber to the Arbiter, I agree with TheGrandAdmiral's comments. The single choke point is deep and comfortable to hold if you prefer one choke point vs 3 of the Consular.

What is the best apprentice saber for spinning? 5 months 2 weeks ago #71006

• SadiraOrphesu
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 73
I think my vote would have to go to the consular for the apprentice sabers. I got one for my sister and it has impeccable grip and is very well weighted. Plus the pommel and emitter don't catch on anything, clothes or apendages.

What is the best apprentice saber for spinning? 5 months 2 weeks ago #71081

• NIGHTBRINGER
After (much) deliberation, I've decided to go with the Arbiter. I've placed my order so now the waiting game commences! :woohoo: Step #2 will be to try learn how to spin it somewhat properly

Thanks again to everyone for all the fantastic advice and input; I found it very helpful!
The following user(s) said Thank You: RotundChap

What is the best apprentice saber for spinning? 5 months 2 weeks ago #71082

• SadiraOrphesu
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 73
Terra prime lightsaber Academy has great YouTube videos about sabering and even if you just wanna spin they have videos about just orbits too
Last Edit: 5 months 2 weeks ago by SadiraOrphesu.

What is the best apprentice saber for spinning? 5 months 2 weeks ago #71132

• NIGHTBRINGER
That looks like an excellent resource... I will definitely give it a look and use it for guidance once my saber arrives. Thank you very much! B)

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Saberforge DIY parts (6 Posts)
    • Hi DarthSauron, Nice design, it reminds me of Cade Skywalker's hilt from the "Legacy" series of...
    • Trades (2 Posts)
    • I would say I'm not against trades, but usually..speaking for myself, I'm selling a Saber because...
    • The Wait Begins 4.0 (744 Posts)
    • Thanks. I've been contemplating buying some ASP parts, that gives me an idea of how fast they could...
    • Trades (2 Posts)
    • So does anybody actually like to trade than buy sabers?
    • Saberforge DIY parts (6 Posts)
    • 6061 series aliminum, we drew it on AutoCad and then we had a company in China make it. Grips and...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5270
  • Latest Member: Svtguy
  • Total Posts: 56.2k
  • Total Topics: 4696
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 3
  • Today Answer: 2
  • Yesterday Answer: 10