Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Considering a SF disciple with PNP kit need advice

Considering a SF disciple with PNP kit need advice 9 months 1 week ago #72359

• GreyJedi78
I am really wanting a saber with sound. My first saber is a US v3 dark initiate. I love the SF disciple and thpught about buying the hilt and then the champion pnp kit, pnp purple led kit, and a lighted pnp switch. Does that cover everything I need to get it working? Will I need to drill any holes into the saber and how hard is it to put it together?

Another side question is the kill switch. I tried looking it up but the answers confused me since people said it turned the blade "off" in quotation marks so does the lighted switch turn it on and kill switch turn it off? Or does it mute the sound (which would be a nice option). Thanks for any help for a newbie.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Considering a SF disciple with PNP kit need advice 9 months 1 week ago #72376

• Lord270
  • Thank you received: 14
Hey Grey I am doing the same thing you are thinking about doing but I am using a Ultrasabers hilt. For me I am going to have to drill out the switch hole for the Saberforge switch and drill a hole for the kill key and another for the retention screw for the LED. If you go with a Saberforge hilt you want have to drill any holes and the kill key shuts down the sound board after you cut the blade off with the switch so it doesn't drain your battery, but also the port the kill key goes in is also the recharge port so you can recharge your saber since the battery is connected to and shrink wrapped with the sound board on the PNP kits.

If you need to know anything else I will help if I can or hopefully get the answer for you from one of the masters on here.
Last Edit: 9 months 1 week ago by Lord270.

Considering a SF disciple with PNP kit need advice 9 months 1 week ago #72378

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 380
The Apprentice hilts like the Disciple are somewhat harder to DIY than the others since they're all one piece emitter to body. On an Elite saber or ASP build you can take off parts, like the emitter, to make it easier to install the electronics. Based on my experience, I personally wouldn't go the PnP route with an Apprentice hilt -- I would just buy it as a Champion level hilt with no quick connects or "energy vibration". That comes out to about the same price as the empty hilt with PnP, minus the frustration.

It's a major pain to stuff quick connects and resistors down the neck of the Apprentice sabers, as my struggles yesterday detail - there's a lip/ring where the LED is supposed to sit, but the wires really like to bunch up on it and mess with getting the LED in the right spot. The PnP kit also comes with a bit too much wire for the LED, which only makes cramming it into the smaller Apprentice hilt more difficult. You'd also have to feed the switch and recharge port leads into the body and then out through the switch holes to connect the recharge port and switch, which is doable... but an annoyance.

Also, the Champion PnP kit only comes with the "energy vibration" rumble motor, which interferes with the motion sensor. It'll affect each hilt differently, but with my ASP build on motion sensitivity 5+ the rumble motor causes it to make constant swing sounds.

To elaborate on momentary switches and recharge port / kill key:

There's 3 primary modes of operation with a soundboard- OFF, STANDBY, ON - with some minor variation between board manufacturers (Plecter has a "deep sleep" mode for instance).

Pulling the kill key closes a circuit and allows power from the battery to go to the soundboard and puts the saber into a STANDBY mode where you can access the on-board menu to change settings (motion, color, font, etc depending on board). Pressing the momentary switch while in STANDBY turns the saber ON (LED, sound effects). When the saber is ON, pressing the momentary switch triggers any auxiliary effects like Blaster Bolt Deflection, and holding the momentary switch (for about 3s) puts the saber back into STANDBY. Putting the kill key back into the recharge port cuts power to the soundboard and turns the saber OFF.

Muting the sound can be done in the settings menu from the STANDBY mode.
Last Edit: 9 months 1 week ago by KelbornX.

Considering a SF disciple with PNP kit need advice 9 months 1 week ago #72380

• Lord270
  • Thank you received: 14
Thanks Kellborn for further insight for him. Like I said one of the masters would be able to give a better answer than I could.

Considering a SF disciple with PNP kit need advice 9 months 1 week ago #72410

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 322
The disciple and Acolyte are two of the easier apprentice hilts to install on. They have decent room on the body section for Cram-Fu.

I have no experience with the PNP kits, but from what I've seen and hear the wiring is pretty thick and makes things harder.
Typically for a build that is short on space I would run the LED leads down one side of the switch section and pull the Switch and RP leads down the other side. That's not really possible with the PNP kits.

Size wise, chosen and forsaken are the shortest on room and require master level Cram-Fu, acolyte and disciple are the easiest room wise, and the rest all kind of fall somewhere in between.

Considering a SF disciple with PNP kit need advice 9 months 5 days ago #72570

• DD003
  • Thank you received: 1
I just installed a warrior tier PnP kit on my brothers empty Disciple, it was a major pain and the latching switch almost didn't fit all the way. when it came to cramming the LED that was quite tricky, the wires were way too long to simply fit in the thin neck area of the hilt and the retention screw for the Led is so low it needs to be crammed down. what I did was put pressure on the LED with a pen and tighten the screw at the same time. worked like a charm. the warrior is a little smaller than the champion though. I have a Champion kit in mt ASP build and I dont like it. the boot up is nice but the motion and clashing are all screwed up. Hope this helps a little
1) ASP saber (no name) - Champion 12w+ Green
2) ASP saber (valor) - Warrior 12w+ Light Blue
3) Apprentice Disciple - Champion 12w+ Purple

Considering a SF disciple with PNP kit need advice 9 months 5 days ago #72581

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 380
DD003 wrote:
when it came to cramming the LED that was quite tricky, the wires were way too long to simply fit in the thin neck area of the hilt and the retention screw for the Led is so low it needs to be crammed down. what I did was put pressure on the LED with a pen and tighten the screw at the same time. worked like a charm.

And the problem with doing that is you're either crushing the resistor, the quick connects, or the wires against that small "lip" in the neck of the hilt, or against the switch. That will cause stress to those parts and likely cause the wires to break where they're connected. If you have to force it that hard, something's wrong.

With my recent trials and tribulations with the Arbiter hilt I picked up off eBay with quick connects... I personally cannot recommend using quick connects with the Apprentice hilts. They just take up too much room in that small area. If you're using a PnP kit, cutting the connectors off and soldering the wires together will probably give much better results for cram-fu.

Considering a SF disciple with PNP kit need advice 9 months 1 day ago #72735

• GreyJedi78
Thanks everyone. I ended up getting a good deal on a used oracle champion. Noticed a few minor issues but love.it so far. I will post a review later. Also plan to make some changes to it

Considering a SF disciple with PNP kit need advice 8 months 4 weeks ago #72830

• GreyJedi78
I pulled the led to look at adding my own quick connect to allow changing the LED later wow was that a pain to put back. I'm going to try to make a way to easily get the wires back in.

Considering a SF disciple with PNP kit need advice 8 months 4 weeks ago #72871

• Zhesto_Kost
  • Thank you received: 2
As someone who has done it, DON'T. That is what I went with and have had nothing but trouble. The wiring is a little long and difficult to maneuver. I would highly recommend just paying the fee for them to install it all.

Considering a SF disciple with PNP kit need advice 8 months 4 weeks ago #72877

• GreyJedi78
I have an idea for modifying the location of switch and recharge port that would make swapping the LED much easier. I will try to draw it up later.

Considering a SF disciple with PNP kit need advice 8 months 4 weeks ago #72887

• Zhesto_Kost
  • Thank you received: 2
Haha that note was directed at the OP

Considering a SF disciple with PNP kit need advice 6 months 3 weeks ago #75014

• DD003
  • Thank you received: 1
My apprentice Disciple that had a crimson PnP kit in it broke 5 minutes into Star Wars Celebration! My brother (his saber) dropped it on the ground (3 foot drop) and it stopped making noise and the LED turned off as if I placed the kill key in. Just thought Id let you all know. never trying that again.

As for an easier way to get the LED back in what if you found a way to secure a piece of string halfway up the LED wires and thread it through the body so that next time when you go to put it back in you can pull on the string and it wont coil up and cram behind the LED and instead sit next to the switches. just a thought I'm sure a more experienced person will find something wrong with this idea.
1) ASP saber (no name) - Champion 12w+ Green
2) ASP saber (valor) - Warrior 12w+ Light Blue
3) Apprentice Disciple - Champion 12w+ Purple
Last Edit: 6 months 3 weeks ago by DD003.

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Kylo Ren - NeoPixel Cross... (28 Posts)
    • Was asked for some low-light ignition demos after psoting the ComicCon vid, so here's a sample of...
    • Tell Us What You Got! (224 Posts)
    • Going through all these pics as got me reaching for my wallet! I'm ordering one next paycheck, its...
    • What your saber says abou... (11 Posts)
    • OK, I'm in. Shai, your hilt design at first made me think Sith, but with your choice of blade color,...
    • What your saber says abou... (11 Posts)
    • Because I very much enjoy this game, I am going to go ahead and judge all of the sabers in this...
    • Tell Us What You Got! (224 Posts)
    • Quote: Just got my shipping notification! Hopefully yours wont be far off too. It took about 2 weeks to get...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5999
  • Latest Member: WTRR
  • Total Posts: 61.7k
  • Total Topics: 5142
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 134
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 1
  • Today Answer: 8
  • Yesterday Answer: 20