Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Extra Blade Security

Extra Blade Security 10 months 1 day ago #72782

• evo454
  • College Student and aspiring film-maker
I'm new, so bare with me.
Myself and some friends of mine are currently in preproduction for a Star Wars short fan film, and I ordered a Bastion so we could get an idea of the sabers and how they would play with the filming and action.
however, the Bastion has only 1 retaining screw for the blade, and although it cannot be seen easily, I can feel the blade wobble a bit in the hilt. tightening the bolt doesn't seem to do anything other than drill a hole in my blade, so I'm looking for alternative methods for keeping it secure and unmoving.

The single bolt is probably standard, but hey, I'm learning at least.
Trust me on everything, quote me on nothing
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Extra Blade Security 10 months 1 day ago #72783

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 420
You'll find a lot of hilts have a wee bit of wobble to certain blades, depending on how true either the emitter socket or blade diameter is to being 1". Usually the emitter socket is actually 1 1/128" or 1 1/64". The wobble effect is much more pronounced on hilts like the Bastion with a very low placed blade retention screw. My Consular does the same thing.

One solution would be to simply drill and tap a second 8-32 hole on the other side and use 2 retention screws. Another would be to drill and tap the part right at the end of the emitter (might need 6-32 or 4-40 to fit).

You definitely don't want to over-tighten the set screw, since the can cause it to strip the threads after a hard impact.

It should be fine the way it is for choreography. Not sure if it would present a problem for "gorilla dueling". I haven't any issues in my informal "just smack them around" duel sessions yet.
Last Edit: 10 months 1 day ago by KelbornX.
The following user(s) said Thank You: evo454

Extra Blade Security 10 months 1 day ago #72784

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 322
Mcgyver it:

Find some scotch tape
Wrap one layer of tape around the blade near the top of where it sits in the blade socket.
The following user(s) said Thank You: evo454

Extra Blade Security 10 months 1 day ago #72790

• Greysider
  • Platinum Member
  • "I am not your kind. I do not feed off vengeance. I am a Jedi." - Quinlan Vos
  • Thank you received: 356
Agree with Jas-Ot. Scotch tape works great. Masking tape as well.
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU

Extra Blade Security 10 months 1 day ago #72815

• evo454
  • College Student and aspiring film-maker
I'll be sure to try the tape idea before I try and drill another hole. I hate to take a drill to it because I'm not all that experienced yet with how all the sabers come together, though I'm trying to learn.
Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a try!
Trust me on everything, quote me on nothing
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Sabercore 3.0 Swing Issue... (11 Posts)
    • Yep, all the settings definitely save. I will lock them all in again though. What do you mean by...
    • Tonight's Christmas Viewi... (6 Posts)
    • I enjoyed it, or most of it. I missed the last 15 minutes. Try and see that later. It was awesome...
    • OK, so the charge is good. According to my source, if you reduce the motion, and spin to zero,...
    • Yep! Full charge! Yeah I can do an outside video for you guys. Want me to lower the motion...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6245
  • Latest Member: ieushelly302826
  • Total Posts: 62.7k
  • Total Topics: 5270
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 136
  • Today Open: 5
  • Yesterday Open: 3
  • Today Answer: 41
  • Yesterday Answer: 27