Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Dissident Emitter is Crooked

Dissident Emitter is Crooked 8 months 21 hours ago #74781

• Kazul
  • Thank you received: 2
Hey guys,

So I've got my Dissident and do like it but I've got one problem. The emitter/blade holder section when screwed in tight to the switch section causes the emitter to be decently crooked. Anyone else run into this sort of problem? I suppose I could try to fix it by adding an o-ring but I'd be guessing at a thickness that'd fix it.

Is this sort of thing covered under repairs by Saber Forge?

http://imgur.com/no9ZzZ2

Thanks.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Dissident Emitter is Crooked 8 months 20 hours ago #74784

• wamphyri13
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 69
Did you build it yourself or was it built by Saberforge? If you did it yourself, get a shim kit and realign it.
No matter where you go, there you are.

Dissident Emitter is Crooked 8 months 20 hours ago #74786

• Kazul
Built by Saberforge, was just an ordered Dissident without electronics.

Dissident Emitter is Crooked 8 months 20 hours ago #74788

• BoostinIX
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 203
Can also do the SF method and glue the threads and stop where it's aligned.

Shim kit is also a good option

Dissident Emitter is Crooked 8 months 20 hours ago #74791

• Kazul
I'd rather not glue it because I'm doing my own electronics and that'll make swapping out the LED and switches pretty tough.

The shims sold by Saberforge also seem to start at 30° which would be way to much of an adjustment. Hard to guess but I think I only need like 10° and I having a stack of like 2 or 3 to do over a 360° turn I imagine wouldn't look very good.

Dissident Emitter is Crooked 8 months 9 hours ago #74802

• Nnaut
  • Thank you received: 1
My trick is to use a small piece of duct tape and put in on the threads of the switch part, this way when the emitter is screwed on, the thickness/length of the tape will act like a timing shim. Works wonders for me. I do this on my blades as well for a nice friction fit.

Be warned, I cut my hand open on the dissident emitter while trying to break the glue seal, soo...

I hate glue as well

Dissident Emitter is Crooked 8 months 6 hours ago #74803

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 420
If you ordered the empty hilt un-glued, SF won't align the parts. They'll just screw them together for shipping. For alignment you can use timing shims, o-rings, simply apply threadlocker after you finish your install, or sand the female threads until alignment is reached. Madcow has a great video to show you how to do this:

If it is glued together already and is crooked... then someone dun goof'd. Apply heat (heat gun, hair dryer, oven) to loosen the glue, then adjust the emitter as needed and re-secure with whatever method you prefer.
Last Edit: 8 months 6 hours ago by KelbornX.

Dissident Emitter is Crooked 8 months 3 hours ago #74810

• MalsBrownCoat
  • Thank you received: 22
I have the same problem with my Dissident emitter, even after using shims. I still can't get it lined up exactly as desired, so I may have to go the sanding route too.

Dissident Emitter is Crooked 8 months 1 hour ago #74811

• Kazul
So I made a trip to several hardware stores to find a few things for anyone else with a similar problem to try.

#26 and #29 o-rings, both fit over the male section fine. While using o-rings I wasn't able to get to the point where the emitter was correctly aligned while completely tightened however while only partially tightened the elasticity of the o-rings causes the emitter to stay in position and doesn't really seem to come loose on it's own.

You can buy gasket rubber, it's basically a sheet of thin rubber which you can cut into the shim shape. Only problem is I can only find this in red/brown so you'll need to paint it more than likely to get the right effect.

Last there is fiber gasket material. Same thing as gasket rubber but is more like really tough paper and it's black. This material though is much thinner and doesn't have any give so it make for really good solid shims if you don't like the rubber of the above two.

After messing around with all three of these I've had the most luck with the o-rings but I have confidence that if I get it right the fiber gasket material will do me better.

Thanks for the help guys.

Dissident Emitter is Crooked 7 months 4 weeks ago #74817

• wamphyri13
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 69
Could you try making a thin spacer out of ABS plastic?
No matter where you go, there you are.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Sabercore 3.0 Swing Issue... (3 Posts)
    • I legitimately hope it's an issue and not just the way the board is... because if so... that is a...
    • I get the same thing where basically a new sound "overwrites" another. This is particularly...
    • Has anyone experienced this weird swing issue in the sabercore 3.0 where the board registers and...
    • Adept - The little red th... (6 Posts)
    • Since no one mentioned it yet, the red toggle is how he activates the saber on the show. The push...
    • Adept - The little red th... (6 Posts)
    • [attachment]

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6243
  • Latest Member: igoca
  • Total Posts: 62.7k
  • Total Topics: 5270
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 136
  • Today Open: 4
  • Yesterday Open: 3
  • Today Answer: 30