Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Tips for selling

Tips for selling 1 month 1 day ago #75851

• 00Bram
  • Thank you received: 4
I have an ultrasabers graflex that I'd like to sell (my card just jumped out of my pocket... or something), but I want to do it correctly. I am sure there are some of you who are experienced in selling sabers, could someone give me some tips? Of course, there is always the chance that my brain will catch up with my eyes and conclude that I should keep it, but at the same time I think I could make a more informed decision once the process is clear to me.

I figure I need to take some pictures and include the details of the saber (arctic blue, silver flash, v4 soundboard, blue illuminated switch, includes batteries and charger and the following fonts "X"). But I also know I need to secure payment somehow, and of course need to use plenty of bubble wrap for shipping.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Tips for selling 1 month 1 day ago #75852

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 218
I haven't sold anything yet... but I've bought plenty, haha.

First of all, setup a PayPal account and link it to your bank so you can collect payments. The thing to do in this hobby is PayPal Goods & Services, which is covered by PayPal Buyer Protection: this protects the buyer if the seller decides to just keep their money and not ship the saber. There is a fee that the seller has to pay, but you can either shrug it off or use a PayPal Fee Calculator to have the buyer pay enough to cover the fees. Example being:

If you want $225.00, you should ask for:
$232.03
PayPal takes $7.03. Those mongrels!

PayPal also gives you their info for shipping, assuming the buyer has an account and put in their address. I believe that you can print a shipping label from there as well.

PayPal Friends & Family gives no Buyer/Seller Protection and should be avoided. If someone sends payment that way, decline it and demand that they use Goods & Services.

The PayPal Invoices offers the best protection for a seller, since you can list what the buyer is actually paying for and it includes PayPal Seller Protection. The buyer pays the fee with this method, and believe they do not get Buyer Protection.

Shipping with Tracking and Insurance is a standard practice. USPS has decent rates, especially with the Flat Rate boxes. Most sellers don't include a blade to save on shipping, since the long rectangular boxes or "Toblerone of joy" costs more. You may or may not have to declare that there's a Li-Ion battery inside. In most cases you can just take the saber to the post office and they'll package it up for you if you don't have shipping supplies at home. I think with USPS you can request boxes to be delivered for free; not sure about packing material though (bubble wrap, foam peanuts, etc).
Aeon, Arbiter, Bastion, Consular, Gladius, Phoenix, Resilient (staff), Vanquish, Vengeance, Xiphos (2)
ASP Dark Crusader, ASP Claíomh Solais
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• yellow FoC with tri-cree/... (5 Posts)
    • Thanks for the tips, everyone. I ordered both a pR/pR/Lime and a pR/pR/W (warm white, 2700K). I'll...
    • My First Comic Con (12 Posts)
    • Hi Takamatsu, You are famous as far as I'm concerned! And it was a pleasure to meet you....
    • The Wait Begins 4.0 (742 Posts)
    • Quote: One my my sabers just shipped. Ordered on 6/8 and shipped 6/27. That's pretty darn fast! Just...
    • Bossk - Warning - LOTS OF... (33 Posts)
    • Following on from my meeting with For Tyeth at a recent Comic Con I thought I'd post a quick update....
    • My First Comic Con (12 Posts)
    • Hi For Tyeth, it was great meeting you in person and seeing your Bossk inspired lightsaber in the...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5270
  • Latest Member: Annotationsmll
  • Total Posts: 56.2k
  • Total Topics: 4693
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 0
  • Today Answer: 2
  • Yesterday Answer: 15