Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: My saber wont start up

My saber wont start up 1 month 3 weeks ago #78403

• Ziragat
So recently i bought two sabers, a Fallen and a Reborn both Hero tier.

At first i didnt knew why when they made the sound effects the color of the saber would change, but i read about it here and seems i can configure that with the spark color program.

When i got them, my Fallen after one week wouldnt start up, it would blink but no sound. I fully charged and it seems now the problem is done.
Now my Reborn is doing the same thing, when you remove the key the light blinks blue but it has no sound and it doesnt start up. I already tried fully charging it and still doesnt work.
I dont even know how to open the back of the saber like the Fallen one to check cause the cap is really small so its hard to turn.

Both sabers are really new (one month) and i havent used em to spar or anything yet, just for show.

Is there anything i can do to check if the problem is just me missing something (as im really new with this) so I dont have to send it back even tho its still in warranty (mainly cause i live outside the US)

Thanks!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

My saber wont start up 1 month 3 weeks ago #78423

• jml5308
  • Thank you received: 19
Out of curiosity, when you plug the charging cable into the Reborn, does the saber function at all? There have been a couple of threads recently that have demonstrated faulty recharge ports. If wired and functioning correctly, the saber should not function (turn on, activate, switch lights, etc.) at all when the charging cable is plugged in, and the light on the charger should switch from green to red/amber, indicating that it's charging the battery. If the saber operates at all with the charging cable plugged in, then there is something wrong with the recharge port and would likely need to be sent back to Saberforge to be fixed.

My saber wont start up 1 month 3 weeks ago #78426

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 346
First of all, here's a link to the Spark Color 2 page on the NEC website. You can find the Manual and Spark Color Config Editor downloads on the right side. It would be an excellent idea to give the manual a read or three before doing anything.

Besides just popping out the SD card to edit files, doing anything to the electronics yourself will void the warranty.

As jml5308 suggests, this very likely could be a faulty recharge port. I'll leave it to the wiring experts to give you a definitive answer though.

My saber wont start up 1 month 3 weeks ago #78428

• Ziragat
jml5308 wrote:
Out of curiosity, when you plug the charging cable into the Reborn, does the saber function at all? There have been a couple of threads recently that have demonstrated faulty recharge ports. If wired and functioning correctly, the saber should not function (turn on, activate, switch lights, etc.) at all when the charging cable is plugged in, and the light on the charger should switch from green to red/amber, indicating that it's charging the battery. If the saber operates at all with the charging cable plugged in, then there is something wrong with the recharge port and would likely need to be sent back to Saberforge to be fixed.

When I plug the charging cable the light stops blinking, same as when i put the kill key in. The charging light is still green when I plug it in tho.
The battery should be still full, dunno if that changed anything
First of all, here's a link to the Spark Color 2 page on the NEC website. You can find the Manual and Spark Color Config Editor downloads on the right side. It would be an excellent idea to give the manual a read or three before doing anything.

Besides just popping out the SD card to edit files, doing anything to the electronics yourself will void the warranty.

As jml5308 suggests, this very likely could be a faulty recharge port. I'll leave it to the wiring experts to give you a definitive answer though.

Thanks, yeah I still havent fixed the color changing on sound effects on the saber cause i didnt have enogh time to sit down and give the manual a good read.
Yeah I have 0 idea about electronics so I dont plan on doing anything myself, but before sending it back, since it will be a huge pain having to ship it overseas or waiting till i go the US again in December I wanted to be sure it wasnt me just doing something plain stupid that I overlooked

My saber wont start up 1 month 3 weeks ago #78448

• jml5308
  • Thank you received: 19
So, couple more questions. Did this saber work at all at any point? When you pull the kill key, does it make the boot sound or nothing at all? When the kill key is out and the switch lights are on, when you press the activation switch, do the switch lights stay on solid or does it look like it reboots itself? It probably couldn't hurt to fully reformat the SD card (un-check the quick reformat box) and re-copy the default files back to the card.

So, since the saber properly cuts power when you put either the kill key in or the charging cable, and the charger light stays green, I tend to believe that the battery is charged. We already know the positive and board negative must be working because the switch lights go on. And since power is cut when you plug the recharge cable in, the correct negative wire is going to the board. The battery negative wire must also be correct because the switch lights wouldn't turn on without it. So I'm leaning towards not a recharge port problem. I guess you could leave the saber alone with the kill key out for a bit to drain some battery (with the switch lights) and then plug the recharge cable back in to see if the charger light turns red (unless you already know for sure that the light was red when you plugged it in, and then went green).

It could also have something to do with either the SD card or SD card slot. If the reformatting and re-copying doesn't work, maybe take the SD card from the known working Fallen and put it in the Reborn? That could at least rule out the SD card. If the Fallen SD card works in the Reborn, then you've got yourself an easy fix.

Even on a low battery, I would think the boot sound should still go off. The saber would not ignite and probably just reboot itself, but the boot sound should still go off.

If you can't get an expected boot sound out, the saber doesn't ignite when pressing the activation switch, or you can't switch soundfonts with the AUX switch, then I'm running out of ideas for self-debugging.
Last Edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by jml5308.

My saber wont start up 1 month 3 weeks ago #78457

• OvrcAHst
  • War. Mostly Dark, Often Grey, Sometimes Light
  • Thank you received: 1654
Ziragat wrote:
At first i didnt knew why when they made the sound effects the color of the saber would change
The colour change is likely the result of two scenarios:
1. It's the Flash on Clash Effect
2. It's the colour cycling action with a twisting gesture.
These are normal features of the Spark Color2 soundboard.
When i got them, my Fallen after one week wouldnt start up, it would blink but no sound. I fully charged and it seems now the problem is done.
Now my Reborn is doing the same thing, when you remove the key the light blinks blue but it has no sound and it doesnt start up. I already tried fully charging it and still doesnt work.
The blinking you describe is most likely the lit ring on the activation switch.
A common diagnosis of this symptom is to ensure that the sd card is seated inside the holder as it's quite possible it may have dislodged and is not registering. Presuming all card content is still stock, another possibility is the actual sd card may be corrupted. Replacing with a new sd card and copying the default files and loading it may correct the problem you have.
I dont even know how to open the back of the saber like the Fallen one to check cause the cap is really small so its hard to turn.
Fallen has a larger surface area for you to grab and twist counter-clockwise.
Reborn has just a pommel cap. It wouldn't be uncommon that it's not budging simply because it's locked by the covertech screw. Loosen the covertech completely then use rubber gloves (like dishwashing ones) to unscrew and you should see it come off quite easily. :)
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• FS: SaberForge Vigilant (2 Posts)
    • Is the vigilant modeled after Aayla Secura's lightsaber?
    • Tom Scott Has Been Playin... (14 Posts)
    • Quote: That Relic reminds me of a Tony Stark moment... "throw a little hot rod red in there for me." ...
    • FS: SaberForge Vigilant (2 Posts)
    • Thought I would try this again, I have a SaberForge Vigilant, Champion class, with viridium...
    • SP-STALKER - US customiz... (3 Posts)
    • [image] This is the saber prior to the customization. Hi. Not sure what...
    • SP-STALKER - US customiz... (3 Posts)
    • [image] [image] [image]...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5792
  • Latest Member: assistacat
  • Total Posts: 60.3k
  • Total Topics: 5001
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 134
  • Today Open: 4
  • Yesterday Open: 2