Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Saberforge Hilt disassembly

Saberforge Hilt disassembly 4 months 1 week ago #82753

• 26jhoran
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 27
Hi guys, I know I've asked this already but does anyone know a good way to try and take apart any saberforge saber elite? I just want to swap some parts around cuz I'm making sabers for my friends for the holiday but I'm not sure how to go about it
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Saberforge Hilt disassembly 4 months 1 week ago #82755

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 529
If it's installed, brute force is really the only option. Better break out the elbow grease. :lol:
I need to get some more of that to get the emitter off of my Vanquish... :pinch:

If it's empty, you could apply heat (heat gun, bake in oven) or acetone (submerge) to attempt to weaken the superglue used on the threads. Doing either of those on an installed hilt could damage the electronics.
Last Edit: 4 months 1 week ago by KelbornX.

Saberforge Hilt disassembly 4 months 1 week ago #82756

• Vechaljian
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 322
Either brute force if your hands are strong enough, Sometimes you’ve gotta gut it and start over, redo the soldering and what not, so you can heat up the hilt without damaging the electronics to release the glue.

Saberforge Hilt disassembly 4 months 1 week ago #82757

• 26jhoran
  • Premium Member
Thank you guys, I'm just really scared lol, I only need to take the emitters off each one

Saberforge Hilt disassembly 4 months 1 week ago #82758

• 26jhoran
  • Premium Member
The threads won't break right?

Saberforge Hilt disassembly 4 months 1 week ago #82759

• Vechaljian
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 322
I’ve done a grandmaster and a prodigal son( and I pulled all sections of its emitter apart) I can say all the threads survived, but I had to clean them up before putting them back together.

Saberforge Hilt disassembly 4 months 1 week ago #82761

• 26jhoran
  • Premium Member
Right, I'd assume that would have to be done, This glue is no joke

Saberforge Hilt disassembly 4 months 6 days ago #82846

• Dauntless 7
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 125
I was just watching a video where the person over a few days applied silicone as much as possible into the threading and then using brute strength to twist it open a minimal bit. Same procedure done every time and it can be small victories in movement. Eventually the super glue was broken down and it totally unthreaded. Afterwards the clean up of saber parts and threading was much easier.

Hope that helps and good luck. :)
Last Edit: 4 months 6 days ago by Dauntless 7.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 26jhoran

Saberforge Hilt disassembly 4 months 5 days ago #82849

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • That guy.
  • Thank you received: 766
Here's the thread where I split in Exhalted in two. Basically clamping the hilt down and forcing it apart.

Also did something a little different with my Katana hand guard. Popped the bladeholder into the freezer, then took it outside and poured acetone on the joint. Once the acetone on the ground had evaporated, I figured enough time had passed, and sure enough, the super-glued tsuba slid right off.

Not sure if the acetone dissolved the glue or the evaporation caused a rapid heat-expansion that cracked the glue, but either way, got the parts separated

Wouldn't trust an entire saber in the freezer though. Condensation when it thaws out might mess with the electronics.

Saberforge Hilt disassembly 4 months 5 days ago #82851

• 26jhoran
  • Premium Member
That's my issue is that there's only one empty but the other two I wanna separate have champion kits in them and I'm nervous about accidentally splitting a wire or worse

Saberforge Hilt disassembly 3 months 4 weeks ago #83092

• Biscuitt
  • Thank you received: 8
Any update on your luck with this? I have an Avenger which I'd like to take apart for a custom install and to fix some threading issues it has.

Saberforge Hilt disassembly 3 days 9 hours ago #89206

• keithind
  • Thank you received: 1
I'm also wondering if there are any updates to this. I have two sabers I'm trying to upgrade. One black finish the other weathered finish. Will acetone ruin the finish on the sabers? The black one I'm going to install a Spark Color 2 board the other a Prizm 5.1 board. I haven't tried the vice option yet, I don't want to damage the hilts. Please let me know if anyone's got anything. Thanks.

Saberforge Hilt disassembly 3 days 8 hours ago #89207

• Danielbs80
  • Elite Member
I reciently got my asp champion apart. At first i tried using a heatgun but wouldn't budge so i put the emitter in a vice wrapped up in a thick leather glove to not scratch it and twisted the body and it came right off.

Saberforge Hilt disassembly 3 days 2 hours ago #89219

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 529
keithind wrote:
Will acetone ruin the finish on the sabers?

It will not. I soaked an emitter that I thread locked to a switch section with (too much) blue Loctite in a cup of acetone for 48 hours. Anodizing was fine. Didn't do anything for the Loctite either... but it should be good for the superglue that SF uses.

Saberforge Hilt disassembly 3 days 15 minutes ago #89221

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 493
KelbornX wrote:
keithind wrote:
Will acetone ruin the finish on the sabers?

It will not. I soaked an emitter that I thread locked to a switch section with (too much) blue Loctite in a cup of acetone for 48 hours. Anodizing was fine. Didn't do anything for the Loctite either... but it should be good for the superglue that SF uses.

LOL.... You're still grounded from Loctite :-p

I use "Goof Off" which is an acetone based solvent. It's got another ingredient or two in there. works wonders on super glue. Every SF glued hilt is going to be different, how easy or hard it is to get apart is totally dependent on how much glue was used, where, and the general construction of the hilt.

That said.... here's my method.

1-- Soak the area to be taken apart in "Goof Off" - you'll want to apply the solvent multiple times over the course of a few days and let it sit.
2-- Soak with WD-40 - apply a couple times over a 24 hours period.
3-- assuming the solvents and WD-40 have mostly evaporated, heat the hilt (I use a heat gun set at 200 degress C)
4-- Wrap the hilt in a rubber or leather material and use pipe wrenches to torque the parts in opposite directions. The key here is to use a thick enough padding against the hilt to not damage it. The glue will be loosened but it's still stuck in the grooves of the threads and will not unscrew easily. Take your time, and it will eventually unscrew.

This process takes days to do right.
www.etsy.com/shop/thekybershop

www.facebook.com/jasotsabers
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rhyno

Saberforge Hilt disassembly 2 days 23 hours ago #89223

• Danielbs80
  • Elite Member
Took me about a minute with just a cheap Vise from Harbor Freight and some thick leather gloves to wrap it up so nothing gets scratched and the hard part was just cleaning out all the Crusty glue inside
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jas-Ot

Saberforge Hilt disassembly 2 days 20 hours ago #89247

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 493
Danielbs80 wrote:
Took me about a minute with just a cheap Vise from Harbor Freight and some thick leather gloves to wrap it up so nothing gets scratched and the hard part was just cleaning out all the Crusty glue inside

Sometimes you get lucky and they come apart a little easier. The hilt the OP was talking about I actually worked on a few weeks ago, and it took almost a week to loosen the glue enough to make ANY progress on separating it. Toughest SF hilt I've had to crack yet. There was a PS hilt I opened up a year or two ago that came apart almost as easily as the one you describe. Luck of the draw!
www.etsy.com/shop/thekybershop

www.facebook.com/jasotsabers

Saberforge Hilt disassembly 2 days 19 hours ago #89253

• keithind
Thank you guys! I really appreciate the input. I'll keep working on it and let you know how it goes. :D

Saberforge Hilt disassembly 2 days 19 hours ago #89254

• keithind
In case anyone is interested, these are the two beauties I'm working on. A Resilient and a Venom. The Venom was actually purchased here on the forum (thank you nai_0562!). I'm also trying to be careful with the leather on the Resilient. I'm going to try the cocktail of goof off and WD40 and break out the vice for good measure. I have a Venomous Fury which came apart much more easily. With these two its been like trying to take apart an apprentice saber! (I know, one solid piece of metal). ;)

Thanks again guys!

Last Edit: 2 days 18 hours ago by Brax. Reason: Inserted photo
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• All by Oneself.. (13 Posts)
    • What they should do, honestly, is make a movie about the most bestest character in all of Star...
    • AGONY - Ronin Mk 3 & ... (69 Posts)
    • D7are you going to enter them? “Do it!”
    • 3D printing parts (66 Posts)
    • Quote: How much did this cost you to make and produce? I may be interested in trying one out at some point....
    • 3D printing parts (66 Posts)
    • How much did this cost you to make and produce? I may be interested in trying one out at some point....
    • All by Oneself.. (13 Posts)
    • If I do go to see the premiere, I'll prpbably wear the Rebel Alliance shirt that I got for Christmas...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6824
  • Latest Member: HeXeK
  • Total Posts: 68.6k
  • Total Topics: 5784
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 145
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 3
  • Today Answer: 14
  • Yesterday Answer: 45