Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Black Saber - sharp edges

Black Saber - sharp edges 2 days 19 hours ago #83000

• iMoose
I have seen a few posts where people raise the concerns about sharp edges, and the common recommendation is, sand it down. Does that advice apply to non-standard colours? Example, I ordered a Black Epoch hilt, and I'm concerned about the finish. If there are sharp edges, would a gentle sanding a good or bad idea? Would it result in visible scratches where sanding has occurred? I don't think the Epoch is one of the common hilts with sharp edges, but I may see similar markings when dueling, general wear and tear.

If someone could clarify that for me, I'd appreciate it.
Last Edit: 2 days 19 hours ago by iMoose.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Black Saber - sharp edges 2 days 11 hours ago #83004

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • That guy.
  • Thank you received: 736
Sanding's going to strip the dyed anodizing, revealing raw aluminum underneath. So yeah, if you soften the edges, you'll have silver edges on a black hilt.

I'm personally fond of the look, considering it black-with-light weathering.

In the future, if you're wanting a pristine black finish without worry of sharp edges, I'd recommend paying extra for a black powdercoat. The coating adds *just* enough thickness to round all but the sharpest edges.

Black Saber - sharp edges 2 days 5 hours ago #83006

• TOPACES
  • Thank you received: 17
Hi Moose,

so from what I understand, you've ordered a black Epoch but you didn't receive it yet - and I just assume that this would be your first SF?
Because I also heard about the sharp edges before placing my order and had some concerns.

Since the Epoch design is rather flat / linear, I don't think that would be as irritating.
The ring grooves at the choke point could be a little irritating, but I just got me some O-Rings for my saber today (similar design at the grip section, see below), and they're pretty much taking care of that issue.
Aside from that, even though my saber is much more "edgy" than the Epoch, I didn't find the edges to be problematic for me. It's really mostly where there's friction involved (e.g. when spinning).

Before:

After:

So maybe just check it out when the saber arrives and see how you feel about it . But I definitely recommend the O Ring approach (also adds a little more grip to the hilt).
Last Edit: 2 days 5 hours ago by TOPACES.

Black Saber - sharp edges 1 day 20 hours ago #83021

• iMoose
great saber hack! thanks for the tip.
The edging on the epoch looks pretty tight, it has more of a rounded look to it, so I don't know that it will be too much of an issue, but we shall see. And yeah, first SF hilt.
Thanks for the reply. I'll post my thoughts when it arrives.

Black Saber - sharp edges 1 day 16 hours ago #83023

• TOPACES
  • Thank you received: 17
Actually, I just got that idea from wanphyri13 here.

So I have to thank him at this point as well :D
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Saber Core 3.0 getting ... (6 Posts)
    • My first Sabercore 3.0 is in a Templar cross guard with a vibration motor(which I actually like) I'm...
    • MONARCH IS GONE (10 Posts)
    • I have the Legacy version and a Regular version monarch, I think I am planning on selling the...
    • Shoto hilts (7 Posts)
    • Quite true brax. I may wait to order something till after holidays and tax returns are done. Shes...
    • Mystery Box Sabers Have R... (83 Posts)
    • Only Phil knows for sure when the next round will start. On average, they have been a couple of...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6123
  • Latest Member: ConnieMub
  • Total Posts: 62.4k
  • Total Topics: 5226
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 136
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 0
  • Today Answer: 4
  • Yesterday Answer: 5