Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Minimum Socket Depth for dueling?

Minimum Socket Depth for dueling? 2 days 5 hours ago #83005

• Major_Tom
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 19
I absolutely love Ahsoka's Rebels saber set, but Im not ready to drop 1k per for the VV models. 700 for the KR empties seems fair but there are concerns as to socket depth, and i am *not* interested in spending that much on a shelf queen.

Thoughts?
The Force flows through us all, in all of its peace and passion
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Minimum Socket Depth for dueling? 2 days 5 hours ago #83007

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • That guy.
  • Thank you received: 736
The no-dueling warnings usually mean you can't try and kill someone with heavy grade blades, but you're otherwise fine to swing them around and hit stuff.

That said, my understanding is the KR set only suffers from shallow blade depth with 1" blades. If you're willing to use the included adapter, 7/8" blades sit deeper and more securely.

Minimum Socket Depth for dueling? 2 days 5 hours ago #83008

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 414
I would say 1-1/2" minimum. I've seen people duel with shorter, even as close as 1-1/4", and have problems with their blades staying seated. Or they over-tighten the retention screw to compensate and end up stripping it.

Also, I'd be concerned with overall hilt durability on the curved Ahsoka saber. Thin oval is not as strong as a thick circle.

Minimum Socket Depth for dueling? 2 days 3 hours ago #83010

• Major_Tom
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 19
Kouri wrote:
That said, my understanding is the KR set only suffers from shallow blade depth with 1" blades. If you're willing to use the included adapter, 7/8" blades sit deeper and more securely.

Anyone use 7/8" for full contact dueling? I'd be willing to get a dedicated blade set.
KelbornX wrote:
Also, I'd be concerned with overall hilt durability on the curved Ahsoka saber. Thin oval is not as strong as a thick circle.

How thin exactly? From their video the only thin parts seems to be the lid/cover, which is supported on all sides and by the interior chassis.
The Force flows through us all, in all of its peace and passion

Minimum Socket Depth for dueling? 2 days 2 hours ago #83013

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 414
Some do use 7/8" blades for dueling, but it's only recommended against other 7/8" blades. Go up against a 1" with it enough and it'll break eventually.

The KR Ahsokas are 7/8" wide, which is super thin. The most I would ever use them for is "light sparring". And based on how everything fits with the chassis, if you get 3/4" of blade depth out of it, I'd be surprised. That's just begging for a thick wall blade to fly out of it (which is also why people don't really duel with K4s, thin-neck notwithstanding).
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Saber Core 3.0 getting ... (6 Posts)
    • My first Sabercore 3.0 is in a Templar cross guard with a vibration motor(which I actually like) I'm...
    • MONARCH IS GONE (10 Posts)
    • I have the Legacy version and a Regular version monarch, I think I am planning on selling the...
    • Shoto hilts (7 Posts)
    • Quite true brax. I may wait to order something till after holidays and tax returns are done. Shes...
    • Mystery Box Sabers Have R... (83 Posts)
    • Only Phil knows for sure when the next round will start. On average, they have been a couple of...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6123
  • Latest Member: ConnieMub
  • Total Posts: 62.4k
  • Total Topics: 5226
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 136
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 0
  • Today Answer: 4
  • Yesterday Answer: 5