Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Battery

Battery 3 months 1 week ago #84115

• Ronnok, The Exiled
  • A Fallen Jedi, searching for a New Path
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi everyone,

Do all Saberforge batteries take the same type of battery? If so, what are the best batteries/battery charger to use? Thank you.

-Ronnok
Last Edit: 3 months 1 week ago by Brax. Reason: Moved to subject appropriate section
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Battery 3 months 1 week ago #84116

• shane45_1911
  • Thank you received: 21
Yes, 18650 (or 17670, just a bit smaller in diameter and mAh capacity).

Google "Pila battery charger" - it is by far, the best "smart" charger for the money. It re-charges at the correct current, and it shuts down to a trickle/maintenance charge when battery capacity is reached, so as not to overcharge and damage the battery. The in-hilt charger does not have this function.
"Do, or do not - there is no 'try'."
Last Edit: 3 months 1 week ago by shane45_1911.

Battery 3 months 1 week ago #84118

• scifidude79
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 364
No, they do not all use the same type of battery. The Warrior tier uses a removable 18650 Li-Ion cell. The power rating on them has to be fairly high, the store page has the power specifics:

https://saberforge.com/collections/diy-electronics/products/18650-battery-1

Aside from those, there are also some nice TrustFire ones out there with the correct power requirements. As for chargers for those, SF sells a cheap one or you can source better ones pretty much anywhere that sells 18650 Li-Ion cells.

Both Veteran and the Hero setups will all use an 18650 with the same power requirements as the removable cell, but it’s permanently wired in and can’t be removed without soldering. Like the Warrior tier batteries, these cells also have a protection circuit built in.

The Champion tier (SaberCore 3.0) also uses a non removable 18650 Li-Ion cell. However, the power rating is higher and it has a fast drain and no protection circuit. These features are necessary for the board to function properly. The specifics for this battery are on this page:

https://saberforge.com/collections/diy-electronics/products/champboard

Getting the right battery for your setup is critical, though the sabers will come with batteries, except Warrior Mystery Boxes unless you pay extra for a battery and charger. The best charger to get for the Veteran and Hero tiers are the ones SF sells:

https://saberforge.com/collections/accessories/products/smart-charger-2-1mm-3a

As far as I know, the Champion SC3.0 just uses a standard USB-C to full size USB cable and charges via your computer’s USB ports.
Last Edit: 3 months 1 week ago by scifidude79.
The following user(s) said Thank You: For Tyeth

Battery 3 months 1 week ago #84138

• Xenoh
shane45_1911 wrote:
The in-hilt charger does not have this function.
Does this mean that if you attempt to charge a Champion tier saber with the charger included that you stand a chance of ruining your saber if you leave it to charge fully?
Last Edit: 3 months 1 week ago by OvrcAHst. Reason: quoted reference tag correction

Battery 3 months 1 week ago #84158

• shane45_1911
  • Thank you received: 21
Xenoh wrote:
shane45_1911 wrote:
The in-hilt charger does not have this function.
Does this mean that if you attempt to charge a Champion tier saber with the charger included that you stand a chance of ruining your saber if you leave it to charge fully?

Not necessarily! But overcharging lithium Ion batteries is bad ju ju. I don't believe the SF charger steps down the amperage when full charge is reached. That's hard on the battery, and may cause it to get excessively hot. Keep an eye on it.
"Do, or do not - there is no 'try'."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nico

Battery 3 months 1 week ago #84256

• Nico
  • Thank you received: 3
This is a good advice !
Thank you very much!
NiC0

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Assembling a staff (1 Posts)
    • I’m curious about assembling a staff with ASP. So, I need.... LED, Emitter, switch selector, body,...
    • Sith Lord Lightsabers (4 Posts)
    • Quote: 1: Those are absolutely beautiful. Good job collecting. 2: Why do you need to wear gloves? Do they...
    • Current ASP order lead ti... (48 Posts)
    • Last Friday I ended up emailing support about my order. (Small order to patch a problem with my...
    • VIRTUAL SABER BUILDER??? (11 Posts)
    • Working here sir. Sounds like some browser trouble. Have you tried another browser? (Just to test)...
    • VIRTUAL SABER BUILDER??? (11 Posts)
    • I tried many times to load the configure with no success using updated Google chrome. The screen...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6834
  • Latest Member: reliken
  • Total Posts: 69.1k
  • Total Topics: 5815
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 145
  • Today Open: 1
  • Yesterday Open: 2
  • Today Answer: 0
  • Yesterday Answer: 44