Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Another Star Wars Trilogy penned by GoT writers!

Another Star Wars Trilogy penned by GoT writers! 1 week 5 days ago #85844

• For Tyeth
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1019
Hi Everybody,

Just read on Variety.com that the writers and producers of Game of Thrones, Benioff and Weiss, are to get their own Trilogy after 2019 when GoT wraps up. This trilogy will be completely unconnected to the Skywalker episodic movies but the producers are "......focused on a point of time in Star Wars mythology".

I read a couple of public comments and one person said that Benioff and Wiess didn't do much to add to G.R.R. Martin's works except add sex and violence (most of which wasn't in the books).

Disney and all involved reserved any more comment except to say there are no concrete dates for the films but Benioff and Wiess are nervous but excited about this great new opportunity...

My question is....is anyone else excited by this news?

For Tyeth

p.s. you can read the article at Variety.com
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: samross04

Another Star Wars Trilogy penned by GoT writers! 1 week 5 days ago #85846

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1636
Think of what these guys could do with a tapestry as rich as the Old Republic era. So many powerful bad guys, and good guys, and folks in between. The Sith, in countless numbers,complete with their own training facility, as do the Jedi. Throw in the odd bounty hunter, matters of Mandalorian concern, political intrigue, and planetary conquest.

Darth Revan, Satele Shan, and so many others could be brought to glorious life!

It could be glorious!
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....
The following user(s) said Thank You: For Tyeth, Eddlyss64, samross04, Sharangir

Another Star Wars Trilogy penned by GoT writers! 1 week 5 days ago #85848

• For Tyeth
  • Platinum Member
Hi Brax,

I just wondered as I don't have a cable/satellite package that carries box sets of GoT so haven't seen their (Benioff and Weiss') work. I have been reading up on fantasy novels on sites like Goodreads etc and G.R.R. Martin is highly regarded but then reading some of the comments about the GoT series made me ask.

I imagine if GoT is as complex as the Star Wars universe, then maybe Dan and David can keep track of a trilogy.

For Tyeth

I know Shameem is famous for saying "Gorgeous", are you gunning to be famous for "Glorius"? :silly:

Another Star Wars Trilogy penned by GoT writers! 1 week 5 days ago #85849

• scifidude79
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 256
I just watched a video on this on the Star Wars YouTube channel.

My only concern is over saturation. Right now, we have Solo getting ready to come out, Episode IX next year, and Obi-Wan and Boba Fett standalone films have been announced, plus two new trilogies. That’s ten more movies, presumably in the next few years. It’s getting ridiculous.

I love superhero comics (granted, not as much as Star Wars) but I’m getting really sick of superhero films. I don’t want to get to that point with Star Wars.
Last Edit: 1 week 5 days ago by scifidude79.
The following user(s) said Thank You: For Tyeth

Another Star Wars Trilogy penned by GoT writers! 1 week 5 days ago #85850

• Brax
  • Administrator
Given how well (IMHO anyway) these guys have translated the world of G.R.R Martin to the small(?)screen, I think they would be ideally suited to bringing the Old Republic to the big screen! You can't just have Jedi vs. Sith all the time. You would need to balance all of that with the political machinations of both sides, and the eternal struggle of good vs. evil. Super weapons, massive battles, and a whole new crop of droids just begging to be the R2-D2/BB-8/C3PO of that era.

I think they could balance all of that, and give us characters that dare us to care about them, only to see them fall, all too soon. They have been doing that for years now. I think their experience in the world of Fire and Ice could be a huge benefit in a movie like that.

And, for accuracy's sake, it is Jordan Moll who practically patented the word "Gorgeous". I suppose there would be worse things for me than being known for being overly fond of the word "Glorious". B) :) :P ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: For Tyeth

Another Star Wars Trilogy penned by GoT writers! 1 week 5 days ago #85852

• For Tyeth
  • Platinum Member
Brax wrote:
And, for accuracy's sake, it is Jordan Moll who practically patented the word "Gorgeous". I suppose there would be worse things for me than being known for being overly fond of the word "Glorious".

Ah thanks for the clarification, I wasn't sure as both say it often!

And to SFD, at least they did say any new trilogy would begin work in/after 2019, so GoT could wrap up first. Maybe that might stretch out the schedule a bit.

For Tyeth

Another Star Wars Trilogy penned by GoT writers! 1 week 5 days ago #85853

• scifidude79
  • Platinum Member
Oh, I’m all for an Old Republic film, or more than one. It’s my favorite SW era. But, we don’t know that’s what this is. Also, I’ve never seen an episode of Game of Thrones. I refuse to pay $15/month for HBO and haven’t bothered with DVD or Blu-Ray copies of the show. So, I don’t even know these guys’ work.

As for not always being about Jedi VS Sith, that’s one reason I love Rogue One so much and I’m looking forward to Solo. Rogue One had a cameo by Vader, but that was necessary, but was primarily about “regular” folk. Solo may not even have any Sith, not even Vader. :)

Another Star Wars Trilogy penned by GoT writers! 1 week 5 days ago #85854

• Lord Metallica
  • Thank you received: 6
If I remember correctly, Daniel Lane was wanting to be an actor, right...? If that’s still the case, and darth revan is a character in this new trilogy, he would probably audition. I just think that’s his destiny! Lol. I’ve seen his talents with lightsabers, and with that knowledge, he’d probably teach the choreographers the moves. Haha, but we all know it’s true.

Another Star Wars Trilogy penned by GoT writers! 1 week 5 days ago #85858

• For Tyeth
  • Platinum Member
Hi SFD,

Thank the Force, I thought I was the only person not to have seen an episode of GoT. And I definitely agree about the non Jedi or non Sith style in Rogue One. Seeing how the "conflict" affected everybody else is just as important. The scene where Jynn rescues the little child during the attack on the Kyber Crystal transport convoy in the square showed us a little of that.

For Tyeth

p.s. I have also seen two of the Tolkien films now (I mentioned a while back I hadn't seen them either but had read the books!)

Another Star Wars Trilogy penned by GoT writers! 1 week 5 days ago #85862

• scifidude79
  • Platinum Member
Yeah, I get a lot of shocked looks when I tell people I’ve never seen GoT. It’s just not something I’ve been interested in.

The most intriguing thing to me about that show is the Darth Maul lookalike they had on one of the covers of the DVD sets. (We have the sets where I work)

Another Star Wars Trilogy penned by GoT writers! 1 week 5 days ago #85863

• For Tyeth
  • Platinum Member
Hi SFD,

Regarding lookalikes, I know a fellow member of the forum who could pull off a Darth Maul look quite well (and I am being serious here for once) and that is IC3cold I haven't told him but take a look at these pics and see what you think:

The Original Maul

IC3cold:

But look what happens when I superimpose Maul's tattoos and horns onto IC3cold's face:

I was going to suggest to IC3 that he could do a Maul cosplay as he was looking to do another costume after his Bespin Luke outfit he did.

For Tyeth

Another Star Wars Trilogy penned by GoT writers! 1 week 5 days ago #85870

• Ser Arcturis
  • Premium Member
  • Occupation? No, just visiting.
  • Thank you received: 11
I am very excited by this news!
There's no singleplayer game I have completed more often than the KotOR series (you can ask me about pretty much every character in the second game) and a trilogy of movies would be so goddamn awesome!
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometres away using an aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope.

Another Star Wars Trilogy penned by GoT writers! 1 week 5 days ago #85874

• Muns
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 141
I personally am thrilled about this. Not just excited about the thought of revisiting favorite old republic characters or new storied, but also the fact that if it is Old Republic, long time fans of the movies that didn't get to play the games or read the books/comics would be introduced to a whole new thing and we that have done the above would get to see that wonderful familiar excitement from them.

Another Star Wars Trilogy penned by GoT writers! 1 week 5 days ago #85875

• Kazemichi
  • Jedi Starfighter
  • Thank you received: 1
Even if I can understand people being afraid of saturation with the number of movies announced, I personnaly think that, as long as the movies are GOOD and well made, well I don't have a problem, I can't have enough Star Wars ^^.

I mean, when there wasn't any movie coming out, there was so much books/comics coming out all the time, and I sure didn't complained.

My question though is this : how would that work, calendar wise, with the "spin off saga" ? Is there only one remaining after Solo or two ? And even more so, with the trilogy made by Rian Johnson ? Will they have one episode each year, or will they be one after the other ? If that's the case, that may means this :

2018 : Solo
2019 : Episode IX
2020 : Another Star Wars Story

And since it is said they would be working on this new trilogy after 2019, while the one made by Rian Johnson is supposed to arrive "sooner" than we thought, it may look like this :

2021 : Rian Johnson's Ep 1
2021 : Rian Johnson's Ep 2
2022 : Rian Johnson's EP 3

2023-2025 : GoT writers' New trilogy

Just guessing ;)

Another Star Wars Trilogy penned by GoT writers! 1 week 5 days ago #85876

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 682
A new golden era for us to be alive .....
"I am the Senate"

Another Star Wars Trilogy penned by GoT writers! 1 week 5 days ago #85878

• jbl420
  • Thank you received: 17
I too, have yet to see more than a few minutes of GOT. What I did see, bored me.
And, most ppl I know who like it, don't care about SW. And, I also love dragons, period stories, fantasy, etc...

I'm wary but will wait and see. Of course, I'm not a big fan of many of the choices Kennedy has made so...
But, I LOVED rogue one. And honestly, Solo looks pretty great from the trailer. It's weird but when I watched TLJ trailer I didn't feel excited by it but the idea of it. However with RO I was excited by the trailer itself. Same with Solo

Btw, I've heard Vader and Boba will be in Solo.
“Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter.”
Last Edit: 1 week 5 days ago by jbl420.

Another Star Wars Trilogy penned by GoT writers! 1 week 5 days ago #85879

• Snajeelay
  • Premium Member
  • Embrace the shadows...
  • Thank you received: 20
scifidude79 wrote:
My only concern is oversaturation

Disney quite litterally said theyd make a new starwars movie almost every year as long as it kept making money.

Gotta recoup all that money they gave Lucas.

Id like to see some onscreen Malgus myself. Or bane.

Another Star Wars Trilogy penned by GoT writers! 1 week 4 days ago #85882

• scifidude79
  • Platinum Member
Disney has probably already made back the $4 billion they paid Lucas. Heck, they probably made that back with the licensing they’ve done since buying Star Wars, to say nothing of the grosses on the three SW films they’ve released.

I’m hoping someone either does Bane, Revan or Exar Khun. I think for a trilogy, Revan might work best, though. His saga from being a young Jedi to fighting in the Mandalorian Wars, then his fall to the Dark Side, the Jedi Civil War and his eventual redemption could easily make a trilogy. In the right hands it could be great.
Last Edit: 1 week 4 days ago by scifidude79.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jbl420

Another Star Wars Trilogy penned by GoT writers! 1 week 4 days ago #85884

• Brax
  • Administrator
I’m not too concerned about over saturation. One only has to look as far as Marvel to see how it can be sustainable, so long as they keep making movies people want to see.

Now, have they all been perfect? Of course not. But, I don’t expect them to be. I judge them purely by entertainment value. To date, there has not been a single Marvel movie that I felt was a waste of my time/money. Certainly, some were better than others, but they were all varying degrees of good.

If the Star Wars franchise can achieve that, they will be doing well. Given the fractured nature of SW fandom these days, there will probably never be a Movie that is universally loved by all, taking The Last Jedi as the most recent example. However, $1.3 billion box office indicates there will always be some fans for every SW movie. Those where there is more universal agreement will only do better!

That’s my take anyway.

Another Star Wars Trilogy penned by GoT writers! 1 week 4 days ago #85889

• Sharangir
  • Thank you received: 7
Someone says they "added" sex and violence to the show? I listened to the audio books and could swear that they actually reduced the sex quite a bit.

Now.. if they made an HBO Star Wars series, that would be awesome.
Throw off the annoying PG13 boundaries and show "real life" in the universe.. :D
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6602
  • Latest Member: Daunded
  • Total Posts: 65.8k
  • Total Topics: 5572
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 145
  • Today Open: 0