Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

TOPIC: SWTOR Color-More Yellow or Amber?

SWTOR Color-More Yellow or Amber? 2 months 6 days ago #86602

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
  • "There is no death, there is the Force...no one's ever really gone."
  • Thank you received: 303
So before I dedicate myself to buying a specific lightsaber (which is almost certainly happening this time, I assure you), I had a question for anyone who might know.

I'm looking to get a lightly weathered Veteran Xiphos to match my character Jsuudi Arceane's offhand saber in SWTOR. The saber he uses is powered by a regular Yellow Crystal. For anyone with experience with either yellow or Amber blade colors from Saberforge, would you say that that color in-game is more yellow or amber?

Xiphos, Eris, Oracle Shoto
The administrator has disabled public write access.

SWTOR Color-More Yellow or Amber? 2 months 6 days ago #86605

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 543
Hmm, that's tough. That color seems to be a bit between SF Yellow and Amber, at least to me. Looks like what you'd get with a custom tri-Rebel Red-Orange/LimeGreen mix.

I'd say to go with it based on a visual perspective. Amber is like a "school bus" or "traffic light" yellow while Yellow is more like "banana" or "lemon" yellow. What you see in game can vary based on graphics settings, monitor, your eyes lol.

SWTOR Color-More Yellow or Amber? 2 months 6 days ago #86627

• scifidude79
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 367
For a point of reference:

Yeah, like KelbornX said, it's probably between colors. It's definitely not amber, but I don't have a regular yellow SF saber (yet) to use as a point of comparison.

Saber color mixing in the real world is a delicate art. To get that color you really want, you have to experiment with an LED with red and green at least, possibly amber as well. What you have to do is mix the red and green with different resistors on the red until you get that exact shade of yellow that you want. Of course, as your battery loses power, the color in your blade will change, as the red LEDs require less power to run at full strength than the green does. Some people also do yellow mixes with amber in there, to get a more rich yellow. Of course, SF's amber is just four amber LEDs.

SWTOR Color-More Yellow or Amber? 2 months 5 days ago #86633

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
Exactly that! That color there!

Well, for reference, I grabbed links to a couple of reviews where both amber and yellow are present (conveniently, both are also Epochs).

The Amber one.

The Yellow one.

Frankly, both look far too similar in far too many shots for me to get a good idea of the real color...

Last Edit: 2 months 5 days ago by Eddlyss64.

SWTOR Color-More Yellow or Amber? 2 months 5 days ago #86657

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
Double post, but after a day of looking at saber pictures and trying to make a decision, I've come to the sound conclusion that I am still right where I started.

I've looked at several different reviews for the amber color (pictures of yellow blades are few and far between, unfortunately), and come to the thought that while I very much like the Amber color that Saberforge offers, I still don't know if it's just quite perfect for what I have in mind. I have seen a very old post that talks of this exact conundrum, and Amber appears to be more akin to a light orange when compared to SF's Blood Orange and Red colors. It's an Amber color, and that's the only way I can describe it. I feel like it's too orange-like, and I refuse to be disappointed with my first SF purchase. I need to see some quality Yellow before I can reach a decision.

SWTOR Color-More Yellow or Amber? 2 months 5 days ago #86661

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
Well, I've seen some really pretty Yellows, but I've also seen one where the color was very much an acid yellow color, and wasn't appealing at all. I'm thinking normal yellow is the way to go, but I'm not totally sure yet, even though that 'acid yellow' color was from a review that is almost two years old.

SWTOR Color-More Yellow or Amber? 2 months 5 days ago #86664

• Snajeelay
  • Elite Member
  • Embrace the shadows...
  • Thank you received: 35
From what I read, if you want a more golden blade, youd more than likely want 3 yellow for brightness and the 4th being amber to give a richer color to the yellow to deepen it.

My only other thought is 2 yellow, one white, and a amber/light red.

But I beleive the 1st is going to be what you want.

SWTOR Color-More Yellow or Amber? 2 months 5 days ago #86666

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
Snajeelay wrote:
From what I read, if you want a more golden blade, youd more than likely want 3 yellow for brightness and the 4th being amber to give a richer color to the yellow to deepen it.

My only other thought is 2 yellow, one white, and a amber/light red.

But I beleive the 1st is going to be what you want.

So you're saying that I should do custom LED work? Because (and please correct me if I'm wrong) but Saberforge's Yellow is made using 3 Amber and 1 Green.

SWTOR Color-More Yellow or Amber? 2 months 5 days ago #86670

• MJRX8
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 56
why not get the Hero level hilt, and then you can adjust the colors to exactly how you want. Sure, you need to save more pennies, but at the end of the day, you can have multiple, customizable colors (and multiple sounds) at your disposal.
Clarity of thought before rashness of action.
Last Edit: 2 months 5 days ago by MJRX8.

SWTOR Color-More Yellow or Amber? 2 months 5 days ago #86671

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
MJRX8 wrote:
why not get the Hero level hilt, and then you can adjust the colors to exactly how you want. Sure, you need to save more pennies, but at the end of the day, you can have multiple, customizable colors (and multiple sounds) at your disposal.

To be frank, I don't need a ton of different options on my first Saberforge. It's for that reason that I'm not getting a Champion level saber. A single color and solid sound quality is good enough for me.

Maybe when I'm older I'll get a top-tier shelf queen for a dedicated home office. But for right now, I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the galaxy.

SWTOR Color-More Yellow or Amber? 2 months 5 days ago #86673

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
Just some food for thought, this is Amber next to a custom yellow.

Amber = tri-Cree XP-E2 PCA/PCA/W
Yellow = tri-Rebel LG/PCA/W

Obviously not running the White FoC die lol. Luxeon Rebel Lime Green mixes nicely with either Amber or Red-Orange for vibrant yellows. PC Amber (phosphor-converted amber) is a unique LED in that it's actually a blue diode, but the dome lens on the diode is dyed with phosphor that converts the blue wavelength into amber that's brighter than a standard Amber diode.

I've never seen SF's Yellow (AAAG) in person, but it should be a similar shade.

Last Edit: 2 months 5 days ago by KelbornX.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eddlyss64

SWTOR Color-More Yellow or Amber? 2 months 5 days ago #86676

• Khang
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 41
I recommend getting an empty hilt and having someone install it with an NBv4 an PEX more flexibility. Hook up a red, PC amber, and green and just slowly tune in the color you want.

As a plus, you get three soundbanks that you can assign different colors to. That way, if you're not feeling SWTOR at some point, you can go either red or green, or whatever shad in between you feel.

SWTOR Color-More Yellow or Amber? 2 months 5 days ago #86687

• scifidude79
  • Platinum Member
Order a saber with either yellow or amber and quick connects, then order the other LED module along with the saber to swap it out.
Last Edit: 2 months 5 days ago by scifidude79.

SWTOR Color-More Yellow or Amber? 2 months 4 days ago #86689

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
@KelbornX , thank you so much! That is the EXACT color I'm looking for! The amber looks too much like SWTOR's orange, but the yellow is nigh perfect! And you say that SF's Yellow should be similar?

While we're on the subject (and since I don't have very much knowledge of color mixing), would an AAAW just dilute the amber color? Because I'm a bit interested in that, as well.

@Khang , I would agree, but I don't have much knowledge of saber commissions. How much do you think that would run me?

@scifidude79 , that is a last resort option, but I want to make a single decision to begin with before I have to drop an extra $50 bucks for the Quick Connects and additional LED.

SWTOR Color-More Yellow or Amber? 2 months 4 days ago #86696

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
Eddlyss64 wrote:
@KelbornX , thank you so much! That is the EXACT color I'm looking for! The amber looks too much like SWTOR's orange, but the yellow is nigh perfect! And you say that SF's Yellow should be similar?

It should be, yeah. I've heard people mention that the SF Yellow has a bit of greenish tinge to it though.

SWTOR Color-More Yellow or Amber? 2 months 4 days ago #86697

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
KelbornX wrote:
Eddlyss64 wrote:

It should be, yeah. I've heard people mention that the SF Yellow has a bit of greenish tinge to it though.

I've only seen one example of that. It was from a couple years ago, but you could definitely tell that it was very much an acidic, greenish-yellow. That's my biggest fear, frankly.

I think I'll do the math and see how much it would cost me to buy an ASP Veteran kit and then get a custom LED like you did for that saber. Because that color is absolutely perfect.

EDIT AND TL;DR, would the color combo I want be more akin to AAALG when configuring a Saberforge Quad Cree?

Last Edit: 2 months 4 days ago by Eddlyss64.

SWTOR Color-More Yellow or Amber? 2 months 4 days ago #86698

• scifidude79
  • Platinum Member
The problem with yellow is how it's made. As I said previously, it's made from red and green. The color tends to vary, depending on who builds the saber. To get the color, you have to put a heavy enough resistor on the red, because a mix with equal resistors gives you a light orange. The greenish tint comes from using too heavy of a resistor, which can happen as you try to eliminate that orange tint. I've done two RGB sabers with yellow that is precalculated by the board, and the resistors I used make a major difference. One is on the orange side, the other has a heavier resistor on the red and is a pretty good yellow. So, it's not an exact science. Plus, as I also said, the charge on your battery makes a difference too. Fully charged, you're going to get more of a yellow but, as your battery loses charge, it goes more towards the orange side. That may be one reason the SF techs use such a heavy resistor on the red. Using a buck puck in place of a resistor eliminates this issue.

SWTOR Color-More Yellow or Amber? 2 months 4 days ago #86699

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
scifidude79 wrote:
The problem with yellow is how it's made. As I said previously, it's made from red and green. The color tends to vary, depending on who builds the saber. To get the color, you have to put a heavy enough resistor on the red, because a mix with equal resistors gives you a light orange. The greenish tint comes from using too heavy of a resistor, which can happen as you try to eliminate that orange tint. I've done two RGB sabers with yellow that is precalculated by the board, and the resistors I used make a major difference. One is on the orange side, the other has a heavier resistor on the red and is a pretty good yellow. So, it's not an exact science. Plus, as I also said, the charge on your battery makes a difference too. Fully charged, you're going to get more of a yellow but, as your battery loses charge, it goes more towards the orange side. That may be one reason the SF techs use such a heavy resistor on the red. Using a buck puck in place of a resistor eliminates this issue.

That's what I'm trying to avoid by basing a color around Amber. I'm aiming for a more golden yellow color, but not as orange as pure amber. So I figure that I can dilute the base amber color with a different LED to get the color right.

SWTOR Color-More Yellow or Amber? 2 months 4 days ago #86701

• Major_Tom
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 65
KelbornX wrote:

Obviously not running the White FoC die lol. Luxeon Rebel Lime Green mixes nicely with either Amber or Red-Orange for vibrant yellows. PC Amber (phosphor-converted amber) is a unique LED in that it's actually a blue diode, but the dome lens on the diode is dyed with phosphor that converts the blue wavelength into amber that's brighter than a standard Amber diode.

Thanks for the examples! how true would you say the colors in your photo are to life? Also, which color is which lol.

Also, do you know which white you are using in the tri-cree? I see that white XP-E2s come in 3000k (warm), 4000k (neutral), and 5000k (cool), and was wondering if they mix with PCA differently.
Oh sorry, i misread, would it be possible to get a picture with the white die illuminated?

I ask because I am looking to make an off-white/golden blade, and i feel as though the cooler and brighter whites may interact well with photon/enhanced day blades, as they respond best to blues.

Also, given that PCA starts out as a blue, would that mean that it interacts properly with the photoluminescent blades? or does the phosphor coating convert the light fully?

The idea for me would be to get a nice base blade color on the infinity V4 and to be able to add different nuance with photoluminescent blades
The Force flows through us all, in all of its peace and passion
Last Edit: 2 months 4 days ago by Major_Tom.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eddlyss64

SWTOR Color-More Yellow or Amber? 2 months 4 days ago #86704

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
Major_Tom wrote:
KelbornX wrote:

Thanks for the examples! how true would you say the colors in your photo are to life? Also, which color is which lol.

Also, do you know which white you are using in the tri-cree? I see that white XP-E2s come in 3000k (warm), 4000k (neutral), and 5000k (cool), and was wondering if they mix with PCA differently.
Oh sorry, i misread, would it be possible to get a picture with the white die illuminated?

I ask because I am looking to make an off-white/golden blade, and i feel as though the cooler and brighter whites may interact well with photon/enhanced day blades, as they respond best to blues.

Also, given that PCA starts out as a blue, would that mean that it interacts properly with the photoluminescent blades? or does the phosphor coating convert the light fully?

The idea for me would be to get a nice base blade color on the infinity V4 and to be able to add different nuance with photoluminescent blades

@Major_Tom , I believe the amber blade is on the left, which is frankly a lovely golden orange color but not what I'm personally looking for, and the right is the custom color.

Threaded Indented
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

• New Series Announcement!!... (7 Posts)
    • Sounds like it might be ok and I'll definitely give it a chance and a watch. The plot itself...
    • Saber Forge Forum Shuttin... (58 Posts)
    • Goodbye forum! :( :( This is really bad news, now I have less to read on the internet. I'll join...
    • I have joined the Discord! Also, for reference, here's a link to my old Google Plus community if...
    • Deleted my fb last week now to find out this is going too. What will i do now to get my daily...
    • New Series Announcement!!... (7 Posts)
    • Quote: Quote: Quote: I just hope they bring back Wedge and the gang from the old X-Wing book series. Anyone unfamiliar I...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6835
  • Latest Member: ValkyrieGondul
  • Total Posts: 69.3k
  • Total Topics: 5837
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 146
  • Today Open: 4
  • Yesterday Open: 5
  • Today Answer: 58
  • Yesterday Answer: 68