Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Bane Blade Weight Issue

Bane Blade Weight Issue 10 months 2 weeks ago #18263

• xaviorbat
  • Thank you received: 2
After talking with someone local who actually is trained in the use of swords, we've come up with a minor issue and I need some help solving it. The balance on the Bane is off. According to what I've been informed, the center of balance should be near the end of the hand, however, it is actually up near the end of the claw. Does anyone know a way to either weight the blade, or lessen the weight of the bane to recenter it?
The topic has been locked.

Bane Blade Weight Issue 10 months 2 weeks ago #18266

• andromedakun
  • Thank you received: 3
Not sure about this but normally the center of balance should be near where we would normally have the sword part start.

Is the issue of your sword that the center of balance is closer to the tip of the sword or closer to the back of the hilt? If it's closer to the tip of the sword, a shorter blade might work to keep it closer in balance else you could try a longer blade (not sure what you use now) or try to remove weight from your hilt (removing some metal?)

Bane Blade Weight Issue 10 months 2 weeks ago #18268

• xaviorbat
Don't think Saberforge would really appriciate me removing some metal, while it's under warrenty. The issue is that the balance point of the blade is under the point of the claw, the claw extends about 4 or 5 edge from the emitter, or even the shroud.

Bane Blade Weight Issue 10 months 2 weeks ago #18269

• andromedakun
Hello,

Here is an image of a hand a half sword. The balance is point B:

Would you say the point of balance is close to this example or closer to the pommel (point A of the last image)?
Last Edit: 10 months 2 weeks ago by andromedakun.

Bane Blade Weight Issue 10 months 2 weeks ago #18270

• xaviorbat

Ok, do you see that forward most downward point? THAT is the point of balance on it

Bane Blade Weight Issue 10 months 2 weeks ago #18271

• andromedakun
Thank you for the image this helps a lot :D

I would think this is about normal for a sword so I don't really see an issue.

If this is a problem for you though, what blade are you using? Have you considered using a shorter blade?

Bane Blade Weight Issue 10 months 2 weeks ago #18272

• xaviorbat
I only have 1 blade atm, it's the standard one that comes with it, somewhere around 37 inches. I'm not sure what the appropriate length would be.

Bane Blade Weight Issue 10 months 2 weeks ago #18273

• andromedakun
Possibly the 32" blade would work better. I don't know that saber as I don't have it but maybe someone who does have it could comment on it.

Bane Blade Weight Issue 10 months 2 weeks ago #18282

• DesertZaku
  • Thank you received: 1
I ordered a bane with 32" blade a few weeks back, just got moved to the build queue, when it comes i'll let you know!

Bane Blade Weight Issue 10 months 2 weeks ago #18284

• h2soy
  • Curio Collector
  • Thank you received: 336
^What andro said.

I've found that the 32" blades work best w/most of the SF hilts. While the 37" blades are "screen accurate" they have are noticeably heavier and the longer length throws the balance off. The Bane is also an interesting case because the curve of the hilt affects the balance in weird ways.

Bane Blade Weight Issue 10 months 2 weeks ago #18286

• DesertZaku
  • Thank you received: 1
h2soy is right, the curved hilt affects the balance, when I was younger, my neighbors and I used to have lightsaber battles with the hasbro toys, I always favored the Count Dooku one, I always had a better ability to counter and found it easier to wield than a straight hilt

Bane Blade Weight Issue 10 months 2 weeks ago #18287

• Dscerba21
I have the 32 inch blade on my bane and I love the balance of it !

Bane Blade Weight Issue 10 months 2 weeks ago #18318

• Lord Callous
  • Platinum Member
  • "I am not without mercy. Surrender and you may live."
  • Thank you received: 60
I have tried both the 37 and 32 blade in my Bane. Without question the 32 is a more comfortable fit for me. The "balance" for both blades however is still right around where Andro outlined in the picture at point B. This is above the emitter and towards the end of the claw.

Like H2soy said, the curve in the hilt may be a factor. I find myself choking up a bit on this hilt to compensate, but it is still the favorite in my collection (until the Count comes out) :)
"Destiny is a lie. Fate is the falsest of hopes. I am beyond prophecy. I forge my own path by making the difficult choices..."

Bane Blade Weight Issue 10 months 2 weeks ago #18320

• Afadir
  • Elite Member
  • There can be no light, without a dark to stand beside it.
  • Thank you received: 67
DesertZaku wrote:
I ordered a bane with 32" blade a few weeks back, just got moved to the build queue, when it comes i'll let you know!

Same here.

I come to the saber collecting community from the sword collecting community, too. So I'll examine and address the POB issue specifically for y'all, when I get mine in.
Owned: Champion Bane 12W Bl. Org.
Champion Fury 6W Green
Warrior Chosen 12W+ Mint Green
Champion Jinsu Razor v2 (ASP build) 12W+ Red*
Last Edit: 10 months 2 weeks ago by Afadir.

Bane Blade Weight Issue 10 months 2 weeks ago #18344

• Darth Intefector
  • Elite Member
  • My hatred has made me an unstoppable force; my rage a tempest of death and destruction. When I strike, you shall know the true power of the Dark Side. And it shall be the last thing you ever see...
  • Thank you received: 9
The balance isn't what's the issue. Take Persian Scimitars for an example here. They were weighted just like any normal sword, but the curve in the hilt seemingly pushed that balance forward and down, which actually gave it more slashing power.

Unless you know the guy personally and know for a fact that he is trained in swordplay, I wouldn't take his word for anything. Because the COB on the Bane is actually pretty nice, like I said, the curve is what gives it the illusion of being off. I'm actually officially trained by the International Thespian Society in all forms of weapons combat. Hope this helps! :)

Bane Blade Weight Issue 10 months 2 weeks ago #18349

• Knytiri
  • Banned
  • "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."
  • Thank you received: 471
If I'm reading the original post correctly then... what you were asking would have actually made the balance way worse. You wanted the balance closer to your hand on the hilt, but were asking how to weight the blade or lighten the hilt, would would have moved the center of balance even further out down the blade and made it exponentially worse. If this "expert" was the one that suggested such, I wouldn't call him much of an expert.

What Darth intefector said is spot on accurate, and others have been going in the right direction. The balance point for curved hilts is different than a straight hilt but still pretty similar and the picture posted earlier is where it should be for the most effective use.

So.. I don't think this is a bane issue as much as it is a bane misunderstanding. :)
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Most Wanted List (31 Posts)
    • Graflex TFA *in progress* Prodigal Son crystal reveal *ordered* Redeemer. *ordered* Shatele...
    • Quote: 1. Count Dooku Force FX Have you... [image]...
    • Inner Diameter Question (7 Posts)
    • Quote: All SF sabers should have a 1.127" ID. For my installs, I've been using 1.11" chassis from...
    • My list is: * Avenger light blue * Jade purple * Reborn purple * Prodigal son green * Archon blood orange
    • 1. Count Dooku Force FX 2. SF Vanquish 3. VV Starkiller 4. SF Monarch 5. SF Crystal Reveal Prodigal...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 4365
  • Latest Member: Julz
  • Total Posts: 43.1k
  • Total Topics: 3146
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 104
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 11
  • Today Answer: 31
  • Yesterday Answer: 78