Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

TOPIC: The Prequels

The Prequels 4 weeks 1 day ago #3216

• ZedLancastor
  • Like received: 15
Hey everybody, can we address the fact the prequels get way more flack than they deserve? I'm 16 years old, almost 17 and I grew up with both the prequels and original trilogy. My earliest memory is of seeing AOTC with my father, who himself loves the prequels, but is an Original Trilogy Die Hard. Case in point, my dad saw Episode 2 TWELVE TIMES in theatres. I think it's the worst one personally, but that's beside the point. :lol: I love the prequels, and there are alot of great things in them people over look because of misunderstanding I feel. I can pull the obvious card and say they are awesome because of the lightsaber fights, but they don't carry the movie. What is great about the prequels firstly is the casting. Ewan Mcgregor is one of my favorite actors of all time, and he did awesome as Obi Wan. He fit the part perfectly, and I'd like to see him return in some way. The same would go to Liam Neeson, and Samuel L. Jackson. They did phenomenal jobs, and their returns would be great too. Hayden Christensen was okay, better than alot of people say, and here's my logic. Vader talked very robotic. It was his voice, that's just how he sounded. And Anakin would need to talk somewhat similar, your tone doesn't change, nor does the way you talk. Secondly, John Williams score was just amazing. On par with the original trilogy, and just as impacting. Very nice scores. Thirdly, the story is great. TPM isn't as exciting as ANH and that's because it's peace time during TPM. Sith don't exist anymore until Darth Maul reveals himself. ANH is set during a time in which it's pretty much the wild west. You can shoot a rodian, and not get looked at twice. Episode 2 is definitely the weakest of the prequels I feel, but alot of that has to do with the love story which was sadly executed poorly. Revenge was just amazing, and I love it. The acting, the story, the action, the music, it felt like the connecting point between the two trilogies. There is alot to talk about, but I'd like some input on your guys' end. How do you feel, what do you think? :)
When in doubt, bisect your enemy.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Darth Kurgan

The Prequels 4 weeks 18 hours ago #3218

• MystByte
  • Platinum Member
  • There is no Dark Side, nor a Light Side, There Is Only The Force
  • Like received: 76
I grew up with the prequels as well, hell, I'm 16 as well! I honestly loved the prequels as a kid, and the original trilogy seemed worse to me as a kid. Since I rewatched them recently, I found that i loved the original trilogy a lot more. The prequels had worse actors and even worse than that, Jar jar Binks. The prequels still hold a special place in my heart, and I still love Episode 3 a lot! The prequels did have a lot more and interesting lightsaber duels.

2x Warrior Level Acolytes Purple
Champ Resilient

The Prequels 4 weeks 16 hours ago #3224

• ZedLancastor
  • Like received: 15
Jar jar I can look past. His presence lessened as the films went on. I can wholely say though that I can watch the prequels and enjoy them just as much as I do the original trilogy. It's a near complete story, and the fact were getting SIX more movies is astonishing. I have faith in Disney though, and everybody involved.
When in doubt, bisect your enemy.

The Prequels 4 weeks 16 hours ago #3225

• MystByte
  • Platinum Member
ZedLancastor wrote:
Jar jar I can look past. His presence lessened as the films went on. I can wholely say though that I can watch the prequels and enjoy them just as much as I do the original trilogy. It's a near complete story, and the fact were getting SIX more movies is astonishing. I have faith in Disney though, and everybody involved.

Yea and I don't get why everybody hates the CGI in the prequels or in general. I thought it looks a lot better than practical effects, especially for beasts like in the Geonotian coliseum scene (one of my favorite scenes from the prequels).

As for the new movies, I have faith in Disney and J.J. Disney owns Marvel. Those guys are responsible for Guardians of the Galaxy, the Avengers, Iron Man, Captain America and so much more.

As for J.J., he did the Star Trek movies, which are really good from what I hear. I haven't seen them but everyone I've spoken to loves them. And he knows what will happen if he messes them up.

And I'm super excited to see what they do with spin offs and such. I would love to see an Obi Wan or an Old Republic movie!!!

Champ Resilient

The Prequels 4 weeks 15 hours ago #3226

• ModernJedi
  • Premium Member
  • Like received: 14
I do agree the Prequels arent as bad as everyone says. Of course when I was growing up all we had was the originals (I am 30). When they said there was more star wars coming, I was stoked. COULD NOT WAIT! I think TPM was the weakest. It gets points for Maul and Qui-Gon. Ewan McGreggor made the prequels way better for me. Hayden Christianson is horrible. I get what your saying about the voice, but his delivery sucked. Didnt help they were on a green screen the whole time...

Ewan has said he is up for more.....as did Liam Neeson.

The Prequels 4 weeks 14 hours ago #3227

• MystByte
  • Platinum Member
Funnily enough, Hayden Christensen lives in my town! He has a farm/house right across the street form my sister's boyfriend's house.

I know people who work at the local movie theater and they say they see him a lot! Hopefully he will be at the Episode 7 premiere!

Champ Resilient
Last Edit: 4 weeks 14 hours ago by MystByte. Reason: Adding details
The following user(s) said Thank You: ModernJedi, Darth Malgus

The Prequels 4 weeks 14 hours ago #3228

• Xelner
  • Premium Member
  • I didn't choose the Force...it chose me.
  • Like received: 7
I personally prefer the original trilogy if I had to choose any but my philosophy is that it's ALL Star Wars. I have issues with the prequels but the originals are not flawless either.

I am 36 so I am able to connect with the originals slightly better...but my reasoning has nothing to do with storylines. The originals were so ground breaking at the time because nobody was willing to do what George Lucas did. ANH was threatened to be scrapped so many times because of budget constraints and production delays. Despite that it got made and the rest, as they say, is history. Here is just a short list of why I love the originals.

Sound...Ben Burt basically reinvented the wheel for the original trilogy. Wall-E is such a cool movie because it's basically a Ben Burt showcase.

Score...at that time everyone wanted to modernize their movies and were moving away from orchestral scores. Star Wars reinvigorated that genre and drove the movie so much better than a rock soundtrack would have.

Special Effects...George Lucas started Industrial Light and Magic because nobody could do the things he wanted. They said it couldn't be done and George said I'll prove you wrong...AND DID! How many movies that came post-Star Wars who owe their SFX to this movie

Longevitiy...there are several movies with such strong followings (Rocky Horror, Lord of the Rings, Star Trek) but none have had as many movies, books, tv shows and merchandise as Star Wars.

Prequel or Original, it's all good. Prequels gave us a more sympathetic approach to Vader so that when you see that big behemoth of a villain board the Tantive-IV in ANH, you know Anakin is in there and he's struggling with his inner demons. Gave us a look at the Jedi temple and the Jedi order. We saw Yoda use his lightsaber, we saw Obi-Wan the Jedi instead of Ben the hermit. It gave us double-bladed lightsabers and (gulp) midi-chlorians.

All these prequel bashers and yet every costuming community makes their "cannon" costumes based on the designs from the prequels.

Like I said, it's all good because it's all Star Wars.

The Prequels 4 weeks 14 hours ago #3229

• ModernJedi
  • Premium Member
I heard that one of the people that was in the running for the role of Anakin was Colin Hanks. I wonder if he would have done a better job, but i cant imagine dong a whole trilogy in front of some green objects and being told, "ok your on this planet that looks like this, act like this!" I wouldnt have done well either.

I think the prequels have a interesting story. one you have to may attention to. its the failing of the jedi to recognize what the sith are doing until its too late.

I know there is stuff out there saying george lucas planned the trilogies to be this way for a very specific reason.

http://www.starwarsringtheory.com/

The Prequels 4 weeks 13 hours ago #3230

• ModernJedi
  • Premium Member
the documentary for the original star wars movie is pretty fascinating. If you get a chance watch it. Xelner is right, they came so close on many occasions to shutting it down. fox even gave up alot of their share in the movie back to lucas because they just wanted it made. they thought it was gonna bust and they wanted to be done with it. boy did they get screwed in that deal!

Which bring up another question peoples. How do you feel about the changes made to the original movies? Lucas had to make cuts during the original filming and things didnt look the way he wanted when they released. so we went back and touched them up 20 years later. alot of people i know hate the changes. what do you think?

The Prequels 4 weeks 13 hours ago #3233

• MystByte
  • Platinum Member
Which changes are you talking about? I was born probably after the changes were made. The only change I am aware of is in Episode 6 at the end when they use Hayden Christensen's Vader instead of Sebastian Shaw.

Champ Resilient
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Hmmm. (13 Posts)
    • Sounds like a solid choice! You'll be happy with it!
    • Hmmm. (13 Posts)
    • That is a gorgeous hilt you got. I hope mine turns out that nice... I have decided, at long last, on...
    • Hmmm. (13 Posts)
    • I was always skeptical of the Gladius craze, simply because I like to distance myself from fads, but...
    • What is the best hilt for... (15 Posts)
    • Of the 6 ive bought, the one true love is the venomous fury. - Dueling: grenade grip is amazing....
    • Saber giveaway? (7 Posts)
    • I had the pleasant surprise of winning the raffle - here are some pictures of the Saber they gave...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 1079
  • Latest Member: Darth Ruin
  • Total Posts: 5307
  • Total Topics: 502
  • Total Sections: 9
  • Total Categories: 48
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 10
  • Today Answer: 0
  • Yesterday Answer: 130