Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Stunt Blades

Stunt Blades 1 year 8 months ago #5138

• Darth Revan
  • User is blocked
  • I am Revan Reborn, and before me you are nothing!
  • Thank you received: 99
Ladies and Gentlemen/Jedis and Siths, I need your help!

I'm currently working on a choreography for a combat video with special effects between me and my brothers, Anakin vs Obi-Wan style! The training is going well, but SF blades are a little bit heavy comparing to what a real Lightsaber blade would be! And that's where I need your help!!

I know that it is possible to acquire stunt blades, just like those used in the movies!mIt would be easier to train and to film, and adding special effects over this kind of blade is not that hard! It is made of carbon, light and resistant to impact! Problem is: I can't find a fucking website selling some! I recquire a bunch of them, two for each sabers so I have a spare one!! Total of at least 10!

Do any of you know where I can find such blades at an affordable price?
Champion Medium Blue Reliant (First Edition)
Champion Green Epoc
Warrior Green Epoch
Warrior Red Acolyte
Champion Cyan Acolyte Saberstaff
The topic has been locked.

Stunt Blades 1 year 8 months ago #5141

• Miraluka
  • Platinum Member
  • "Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is."
  • Thank you received: 75
I'm betting your easiest, cheapest option would be trans white, thin walled poly carb from TCSS.

Stunt Blades 1 year 8 months ago #5142

• starwarsmamma
  • Thank you received: 7
Get stronger? Lol, I don't know. Are you planning to only add after effects? Phil pointed out to somebosyva while back that using the 12w with the newest blades allows for proper shading and glow of surrounding face/area. That a saber would cast a glow when wielded and that effect is forgotten when done through editing after.
If you want what was used in the movies Ryan (Ryan v workman) has I think they are carbon rods that either fit or you can mount to a blade plug to make work for you.
Sorry I can't help more specifically.
Man is the only creature who takes delight in the suffering of others.

Stunt Blades 1 year 8 months ago #5144

• sf master Lucien Kane
  • Knight of Tythos Ridge
  • Thank you received: 135
Well the idea that the lightsaber blade is weightless is a bit of a misnomer. Yes the blade wouldn't weigh anything, but all of the source material describe a gyroscopic effect thrown off by the blade that makes it almost impossible to wield for someone not trained in the Force. So the blade has a feel to it, and it's actually the most cumbersome thing you could imagine using.

That being said, if you are dead set on having a lighter blade for VFX, TCSS sells carbon fiber rods you can retrofit an adapter and use it for your pictures. It'll basically weigh nothing.

Also if you're short like me, you simply might have the wrong length blade. I use 32" and 27" blades exclusively and I can wield them as if they aren't even there. I don't notice the weight anymore. So if you have a 37" blade, you might just have a blade that is too long for your build.
"This challenge you will not overcome. Your lightsaber is nothing against the power of the dark side."
"That's why I always carry two."

Stunt Blades 1 year 8 months ago #5145

• Darth Revan
  • User is blocked
starwarsmamma wrote:
Get stronger? Lol, I don't know. Are you planning to only add after effects? Phil pointed out to somebosyva while back that using the 12w with the newest blades allows for proper shading and glow of surrounding face/area. That a saber would cast a glow when wielded and that effect is forgotten when done through editing after.
If you want what was used in the movies Ryan (Ryan v workman) has I think they are carbon rods that either fit or you can mount to a blade plug to make work for you.
Sorry I can't help more specifically.

Ryan is selling such Rods in his new shop, but he's not taking anymore orders since he's already overwhelmed (SF guys can relate)! As for the SF blades, yes the effect is pretty close to the real thing, but we've (me and my brothers) runned a video test and it is not that close to what we are looking for! After effects will do the job just fine!

Get stronger? That's not the point... It's just not as easy to swing around as those carbon blades! A vs O is an impressive fight with fast and precise movements, and that's what I want!

Miraluka: thanks mate, I'll give it a look!
Champion Green Epoc
Warrior Green Epoch
Warrior Red Acolyte

Stunt Blades 1 year 8 months ago #5146

• Hake Felflame
  • Mad Warlock
  • Thank you received: 57
Here's the TCSS carbon fiber tubes: http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Carbon-Fiber-Tube-P939.aspx

They are a bit more expensive than polycarb blades though.
Local Director - Saber Guild: Golden Gate Temple
Sith Lord of the Golden Gate Knights

Stunt Blades 1 year 8 months ago #5153

• Kresnik
I tried Carbon blades for some of the video work I did and they kept snapping or coming out of hilt.

I ended up using Ultrasabers Ultraedge Midgrade blades (the white ones) they have grab bag blades with light scratches and what not -

I then just did post production edits to correct any of the weird looks that the actual lightsabers had. It was much quicker than having to add lightsaber effects TO EVERY FRAME !

Stunt Blades 1 year 8 months ago #5154

• Darth Revan
  • User is blocked
sf master Lucien Kane wrote:
Well the idea that the lightsaber blade is weightless is a bit of a misnomer. Yes the blade wouldn't weigh anything, but all of the source material describe a gyroscopic effect thrown off by the blade that makes it almost impossible to wield for someone not trained in the Force. So the blade has a feel to it, and it's actually the most cumbersome thing you could imagine using.

That being said, if you are dead set on having a lighter blade for VFX, TCSS sells carbon fiber rods you can retrofit an adapter and use it for your pictures. It'll basically weigh nothing.

Also if you're short like me, you simply might have the wrong length blade. I use 32" and 27" blades exclusively and I can wield them as if they aren't even there. I don't notice the weight anymore. So if you have a 37" blade, you might just have a blade that is too long for your build.

That make sense since my staff using 32" blades is easier to wield then a single saber with a 37" blade!

I gave a look at those TCC rods and they're exactly what I was looking for! I might buy one to see how I can get it to fit in one of my SF and how does it feel to practice the choreography with one! Otherwise I'm gonna try your idea of using a shorter blade! I'll tell you if I notice a big difference!

And no, I'm not very tall haha!
Champion Green Epoc
Warrior Green Epoch
Warrior Red Acolyte
Last Edit: 1 year 8 months ago by Darth Revan.

Stunt Blades 1 year 8 months ago #5157

• Miraluka
  • Platinum Member
  • "Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is."
Those thin wall poly carbs feel weightless. It actually makes spinning kinda difficult because there isn't any balance.

Stunt Blades 1 year 8 months ago #5163

• Darth Revan
  • User is blocked
Miraluka wrote:
Those thin wall poly carbs feel weightless. It actually makes spinning kinda difficult because there isn't any balance.

Yeah I can imagine! Everything is in the practice I guess! Right now I'm gonna start by trying with a 32" blade instead of a 37"! I'm not gonna buy a poly carb blade if I can solve my problem with what I already have! I'll keep you guys updated!

Thanks to everyone for your help, it's appreciated!
Champion Green Epoc
Warrior Green Epoch
Warrior Red Acolyte

Stunt Blades 1 year 8 months ago #5210

• Miraluka
  • Platinum Member
Griffon wrote:
Ultra saber sells grab bax blades fairly cheap if you are concerned about cost.

Well he was asking about blades, not hilts and blades are not included in the cost of a grab bag. Costs an extra $15 to get a grab bag hilt with a blade.

Unless you're just talking about the 10 dollar blades, of course. I guess you probably were.
Either way, they're about the same price as transwhite polyC + tips from TCSS
Last Edit: 1 year 8 months ago by Miraluka.

Stunt Blades 1 year 8 months ago #5212

• Miraluka
  • Platinum Member
Right. I'm not sure how their grab bag blades actually work. It seems like their grab bag hilts are like customer returns or something that had been damaged. If the blades are the same story, I'd rather just buy a new tube from TCSS where I know what I'm getting.

Stunt Blades 1 year 8 months ago #5215

• Miraluka
  • Platinum Member
Well, I'm not necessarily preaching on their quality. I haven't torture tested them because I don't want to break anything. They aren't as opaque as I'd like them to be. It's not an issue if you're just playing with your saber but if someone else is holding it, you'll notice that you can see through the side of the blade and see the LED flare. You could always add something to the inside to help with that, but if we're talking about cheapo blades that are going to be digitally enhanced anyways, they're fine.

So basically, you get what you pay for. So in that sense, it's good quality.
Comparing it to high quality blades, though, it's not great.

Does that make sense?

Stunt Blades 1 year 8 months ago #5218

• Dauntless 7
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 16
Hi. The US grab bag blades can have some minor use or be new. You could request a specific length and if I was getting some, would place in the comments order box exactly what I was wanting. There is no guarantee that you will get it, but it's worth the try. These gb blades should be in optimal working condition and are often used for saber display or to get rid of over-stocked blades. They are a popular cost friendly option for building up your blade supply. And they do come with dust covers. :)

Stunt Blades 1 year 8 months ago #5219

• Darth Revan
  • User is blocked
I think some people here are starting to misundertand what I'm looking for: Stunt blades, Light and Resistant! I don't give a damn about their appearance! I want something that will allow me to pratice, film, and edit my choreopraghy/video just like they did in the movies! I've spent hours looking at some videos where we can see the actors train for their duel (AvO)! I want something do the same kind of job! Resistant, Light and Affordable! If I need to pay more for quality I will, but I want something Light and solid!
Champion Green Epoc
Warrior Green Epoch
Warrior Red Acolyte

Stunt Blades 1 year 8 months ago #5220

• Miraluka
  • Platinum Member
I understand and that's why I said that the thin wall polyC from TCSS would work for you. It's light and as long as you're not fighting full contact, you should be able to practice with it.

I only brought up the aesthetics of them because Griffon mentioned my word about their quality. I was just clarifying that they're good for your purpose. If you were gonna mount a saber on a wall, they're a decent option for that, too if you can't afford a nice blade.

I don't have money coming out of my ears so I don't own a bunch of high quality blades.

Stunt Blades 1 year 8 months ago #5221

• Darth Revan
  • User is blocked
Miraluka wrote:
I understand and that's why I said that the thin wall polyC from TCSS would work for you. It's light and as long as you're not fighting full contact, you should be able to practice with it.

I only brought up the aesthetics of them because Griffon mentioned my word about their quality. I was just clarifying that they're good for your purpose. If you were gonna mount a saber on a wall, they're a decent option for that, too if you can't afford a nice blade.

I don't have money coming out of my ears so I don't own a bunch of high quality blades.

Oh don't worry Miraluka, I was not targeting you with that! In fact, you're the one who gave me, I think, the most useful answer (Sorry for the others)! You pointed out EXACTLY what I was looking for! I'll buy one to test the quality before ordering a bunch of them! They're pricy, so I'll try the product before buying enough for both my brothers and I!

Lucien was right, using 32'' blades instead of 37'' makes it lighter and increase both my movement speed and amplitude! Be sure I'm gonna try this in training to see if it does the job like I want it! It could save a lot of money (Need to keep some money for that staff of mine)!
Champion Green Epoc
Warrior Green Epoch
Warrior Red Acolyte
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• V1 Silver Knight SF|Story... (14 Posts)
    • Quote: Quote: I can't read any more of your threads. I always end up wanting to spend more money! :lol: Great...
    • Kylo Ren & Knights of... (14 Posts)
    • Awesome idea on the headphone jack and the blades look amazing. For the sound, is this similar to...
    • Thin-Neck Dark Ravager De... (8 Posts)
    • Quote: :woohoo: You had me with Thin neck. Great build HotRod, sucks about the exposed threads, maybe it's...
    • ASP Graflex Avenger with ... (13 Posts)
    • Quote: Quote: I *think* the bottom eye-replacement greeble on a a Monarch is for LED retention, but I could be...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 4621
  • Latest Member: abimer
  • Total Posts: 48.8k
  • Total Topics: 3647
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 112
  • Today Open: 1
  • Yesterday Open: 5
  • Today Answer: 14
  • Yesterday Answer: 54