Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

TOPIC: Buying my first saber!

Buying my first saber! 1 year 2 months ago #9830

• TheMovieBear
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi everyone! I've been looking around the website for a while and I have a couple of questions concerning the sabers! I do understand that every saber comes with a selection of options. Since I don't have that much money to spare, I was looking for a Warrior Disciple, or something similar in price range. Now, my real question is: Is it really worth putting more money into it and getting the Champion edition with the soundboard for a starting (apprentice) saber? Also, if I do buy a Warrior saber, does the flicker option come with it or is that only a part of the champion edition? And finally, is it really difficult/pricey to, eventually, change the LED to something different. Since I am looking to cosplay during conventions, I might be interested in having two different colors (light and dark side cosplays), but a Hero edition is definitely out of my price range, whatever the saber.

I must admit that I am amazed at the work here and my favorite saber, so far, is probably the Gladius (I heard that it was particularly popular too, so no surprises there). But since a brand new one is out of my price range, especially if a soundboard is involved, I was wondering if there was a place where I could look for eventual sales (if they ever happen) or maybe a place to catch used ones that would still be in good shape. I did check the forums and I will do so again, but I was wondering if any other safe places were available. I do understand that this question could be inappropriate, since SaberForge doesn't get money on those, and if it is inappropriate, let me know and I will simply remove that from the post (I do not intend to be disrespectful of the work all of the people here do).

Finally, I had a quick peak at a certain saber based on Darth Malgus' design. If you simply look up, you'll see that Malgus is undoubtedly one of my all-time favorites and that owning such a saber would simply be delightful to me. So if there is any word on that (I heard it was a limited edition or something), I'd really appreciate pointers (even though the money problem is still the same...).

Thank you very much for your time guys! Sorry for the long post!
The topic has been locked.

Buying my first saber! 1 year 2 months ago #9835

• Jyn-Toar
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 17
I'll do my best to answer your questions!
As far as getting a Champion tier on an apprentice saber, there's nothing wrong with that at all. The only difference between apprentice and elite sabers is that the apprentice sabers consist of a hilt and pommel, no other individual pieces/parts; and they are smaller in diameter and length than the elite sabers. Some people might even prefer the apprentice sabers to the elite sabers, especially for spinning and flourishes. The flicker option is only available with sound, as far as I'm aware, so it would not come with a Warrior level saber.
Changing the LED isn't too difficult - SF offers something called quick connects, which allow you to swap out your LED modules just by loosening the retention screw, unplugging the LED module, and putting in a new one. It's $10 extra to add quick connects, and SF offers different modules on the website for purchase.
There are various other forums you can look at to get a saber - imperialroyalarms.com (IRA) is a good one. They have an entire board dedicated to saber sales and trades, and I have seen several Gladius sabers pop up there. And the Malgus saber was called the Juggernaut. It's still available on the SF Etsy page, starting at $149.00 for an empty hilt and going up from there.
Ultimately, it's completely up to you. If you've saved enough money for a Warrior level but you think sound would be nice, don't settle and go without sound. Wait a little longer and save a little more so you can get sound. I know lots of cosplayers like sound, and lots of enthusiasts into sparring don't care if they have it or not. It's just a matter of personal taste. I personally am in the market for an ideal custom saber that will have sound and quick connects. After that I'm not planning on getting more. You might just be looking for something to start with and have plans to get more sabers in the future. Your saber, your choice. You'll be pleased if you get a SF saber. :)
That's my two cents.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cyran Azor, FailedJedi

Buying my first saber! 1 year 2 months ago #9838

• FailedJedi
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 7
I checked just now to add the quick connects is $5 per LED...totally worth that if you want to swap colors later. I agree with Jyn-Toar don't settle for no sound if you want it. Good luck with your first saber!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cyran Azor

Buying my first saber! 1 year 2 months ago #9839

• Cyran Azor
  • Kill the boy and let the man be born
  • Thank you received: 11
I actually just ordered a warrior tier Disciple in a weathered finish with a bronze stingray wrap (the leathers wraps cost about $10 just so you know) and. 12w lime green LED. But I also purchased it with the quick connect set up, so it's much cheaper to change colors in the future. I love the soundboards saberforge offers, I just couldn't afford a champion tier saber haha. But the warrior tier is the brightest option, so it all works out for me. Like Jyn said, it's completely up to you. But I will suggest the quick connects as I have done to everyone, it seriously is like the cheapest way to have multiple color options for your saber!
~The force shall set me free~
The following user(s) said Thank You: FailedJedi

Buying my first saber! 1 year 2 months ago #9855

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 732
I know what you are going through trying to decide on that first saber. So many things to consider, weighed against what is really your heart's desire.

If I had to give one piece of advice, it is to get what you really want. Anything less, and you will regret it. If I were to give a second piece of advice, be sure to ask enough questions, and do enough reading in the forums to actually KNOW what it is you really want!

The other thing you will want to keep in mind is, if you do discover that you want a little more than you can afford, sabers can always be upgraded to higher level components later. So, if you have to settle for a Warrior level, when you really wanted a Champion level, you can get the Warrior now, and save up to have it upgraded to Champion later. It is not cheap, but if you look around, you can find ways to do it that won't break the bank.
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....

Buying my first saber! 1 year 2 months ago #9863

• TheMovieBear
Thank you all for the answers! I wish I knew how to modify my saber on my own, I suppose that would be a little cheaper in the end. But I'll admit there is wisdom in all of your answers. Since I'm only cosplaying during the summer (no actual dueling or anything), maybe I could buy a simple elite hilt for 150$, or a Warrior Disciple one as I planned and then upgrade it later on. Is there any place where I could learn to modify my hilt myself? Some kind of Yoda of saber building? Also, are there any price indications for the upgrades? Considering the fact that I probably won't be able to upgrade it myself any time soon, if I had an idea of the cost, maybe that would settle things. Should I look at the upgrades on initial buy as a guideline, or would it be different?

Also, I was wondering if the 37'' Blades had any problems with full lighting effects. I'm fairly tall at 6'1'' and a 37'' would be perfect for my height, but I'm afraid the light won't go all the way through the saber.

Thanks again for the answers!
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by TheMovieBear.

Buying my first saber! 1 year 2 months ago #9865

• Jyn-Toar
  • Premium Member
If you got an elite hilt for $150, it would be just the hilt, and no electronics. A nice belt hanger, but not really much more to it.
If you wanted to learn to modify it yourself there are plenty of forum and websites and tutorials all over the internet for that. Someone else on the forum might serve you better in guiding you to those or getting you set on the right track that I might, but there are definitely tutorials and instruction aplenty.
As far as I know, upgrades remain the same price as they appear on the site (so upgrading from a warrior to a champion would be $150), but you have to pay shipping both ways. Someone here will correct me if I'm wrong on that, since I've never had an upgrade installed personally.
Unless you get a thin neck saber, a 37" blade should illuminate fine. Of course, a 32" will illuminate better, but that's only to be expected. At most the light will deaden very slightly near the tip. One thing to keep in mind, however, is that apprentice sabers are smaller and lighter, so a 37" blade might be tip-heavy. Moreover, there is a weight difference from warrior to champion tiers, so with a warrior disciple you would be getting really light and the blade might be tip-heavy. If you're not concerned with balance point, then you don't need to worry about it. But if you are, it's worth keeping in mind.
I hope this helped! :)

Buying my first saber! 1 year 2 months ago #9867

• ButMnkySidKicGy
I was just in there and didn't like the fact that the no sound option was so easy to shut down. Just press the button and its off. Plain and simple. The sound option is nice. To turn the saber off you have to press and hold the power button for a few seconds. No accidental shut downs. Its not a huge deal but it helped me spend the extra money. Plus the sound is so awesome. like the option for volume, clash and movement sensitivity, and the blade flicker frequencies. Either way you go you'll be happy. But if your on the fence its definitely worth saving up for the sound. Do yourself a favor and buy one of these high quality sabers...
New apprentice. Just bought my SF lightsaber and I am very pleased with the quality and workmanship.

Buying my first saber! 1 year 2 months ago #9875

• Jedikind
  • Platinum Member
  • dc,star wars,ac,lotr nerd what else ?
  • Thank you received: 18
TheMovieBear wrote:
Hi everyone! I've been looking around the website for a while and I have a couple of questions concerning the sabers! I do understand that every saber comes with a selection of options. Since I don't have that much money to spare, I was looking for a Warrior Disciple, or something similar in price range. Now, my real question is: Is it really worth putting more money into it and getting the Champion edition with the soundboard for a starting (apprentice) saber? Also, if I do buy a Warrior saber, does the flicker option come with it or is that only a part of the champion edition? And finally, is it really difficult/pricey to, eventually, change the LED to something different. Since I am looking to cosplay during conventions, I might be interested in having two different colors (light and dark side cosplays), but a Hero edition is definitely out of my price range, whatever the saber.

I must admit that I am amazed at the work here and my favorite saber, so far, is probably the Gladius (I heard that it was particularly popular too, so no surprises there). But since a brand new one is out of my price range, especially if a soundboard is involved, I was wondering if there was a place where I could look for eventual sales (if they ever happen) or maybe a place to catch used ones that would still be in good shape. I did check the forums and I will do so again, but I was wondering if any other safe places were available. I do understand that this question could be inappropriate, since SaberForge doesn't get money on those, and if it is inappropriate, let me know and I will simply remove that from the post (I do not intend to be disrespectful of the work all of the people here do).

Finally, I had a quick peak at a certain saber based on Darth Malgus' design. If you simply look up, you'll see that Malgus is undoubtedly one of my all-time favorites and that owning such a saber would simply be delightful to me. So if there is any word on that (I heard it was a limited edition or something), I'd really appreciate pointers (even though the money problem is still the same...).

Thank you very much for your time guys! Sorry for the long post!

i recommend the following
buy a champion if you want the feeling of a real lightsaber
or Buy a Warrior tier and add sound which fits your fandom self
note: you can ask for help how to install soundboard if you want to do it yourself AT a later mentioned above me by others
sabers own: prodigal son,classic epouch vers 2

sabers i want ? Guardian,Count,exalted, legacy 1 and protector,archon and fallen

Buying my first saber! 1 year 2 months ago #9880

• TheMovieBear
Yeah, I think my problem mostly is the fact that, I don't know about buying an apprentice hilt with sound.... I don't know, I guess it's mostly me thinking that, if I'm gonna buy a soundboard and all, it might as well be with an elite saber...

Buying my first saber! 1 year 2 months ago #9885

• Jyn-Toar
  • Premium Member
Apprentice saber's aren't inferior to elite sabers, at least in my opinion. They're all wonderful works of art. Whichever one you want most and appeals to you most is the way to go. :)

Buying my first saber! 1 year 2 months ago #9887

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 732
The Apprentice sabers are a little thinner, a little shorter, and perhaps not as....complex in design as the elite sabers, but they are just as good for combat, and certainly attractive in their own right. I am always drawn to the Elite sabers first, but I have my eye on the Consular at some point down the line. I think it will make a fine addition to my arsenal!
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....

Buying my first saber! 1 year 2 months ago #9888

• FailedJedi
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 7
TheMovieBear wrote:
Yeah, I think my problem mostly is the fact that, I don't know about buying an apprentice hilt with sound.... I don't know, I guess it's mostly me thinking that, if I'm gonna buy a soundboard and all, it might as well be with an elite saber...

If I didn't want to build my own saber I could easily see going the bargain route with an acolyte and give it that weathered look(may do that and after warranty is up tinker with it too). The apprentice tier looks like a great place to start totally worth putting sound in. You could always try something out at apprentice with sound then either sell/trade with someone to somehow help get an elite you like and you'll know a lot more about everything...like how much you like the colors you choose, length of blade and how satisfied you are with the illumination, the comfort in handling a saber while swinging it.

After you get it you may just want to keep it and get another and another and another...it is nice to have extras for when your friends are over. Then people don't feel left out on a chance to knock over lamps and breaking things...probably best to take your friends outside when playing with lightsabers.

Buying my first saber! 1 year 2 months ago #9891

• Cyran Azor
  • Kill the boy and let the man be born
  • Thank you received: 11
FailedJedi wrote:
After you get it you may just want to keep it and get another and another and another...it is nice to have extras for when your friends are over. Then people don't feel left out on a chance to knock over lamps and breaking things...probably best to take your friends outside when playing with lightsabers.

Dude you are so right. I just recently ordered a warrior tier Disciple and my friends seem a bit more excited for it than I do haha. I'm sure they'll also get around to buying a saber omce they see mine, but I feel kinda bad that I'll only have one. Luckily the apprentice sabers are so affordable!
~The force shall set me free~

Buying my first saber! 1 year 2 months ago #9894

• ButMnkySidKicGy
All their sabers are nice. The apprentice sabers are amazing. A little less material and machining goes into them. Not Quality. Its all there. Good for first time and cash conscious buyers. Or someone who has children with the need to want a saber.
New apprentice. Just bought my SF lightsaber and I am very pleased with the quality and workmanship.

Buying my first saber! 1 year 2 months ago #9918

• TheMovieBear
Alright well, thanks a lot guys, all of the answers here are truly helpful! Everything that's left to do is actually choose a saber! I'll get back to you when I either make a decision or when I have another question. I might wait to have a costume to go with the whole cosplay, 'cause I stille have no idea if I'll be Jedi or Sith (color of the saber will change with the costume, I guess). Thanks again!

Buying my first saber! 1 year 2 months ago #9920

• Jyn-Toar
  • Premium Member
Be like me: smuggler/bounty hunter/Grey/whatever the heck I need to be. B)

Buying my first saber! 1 year 2 months ago #9939

• TheMovieBear
Another quick question: Is the balance really that bad with an apprentice saber combined with the 37'' saber? Is it only a preference thing or is the balance clearly off? This is kinda tricky, cause as I said, I'm pretty tall and a shorter saber doesn't have the same impact, so I have to weigh the pros and cons of the 37'' saber. Thanks again!

Buying my first saber! 1 year 2 months ago #9972

• TheMovieBear
Also, my more recent thoughts had me considering the Resilient. Since it looks like a pretty light saber (pun kind of intended), I was wondering if anyone knew about the balance on this one too.

Buying my first saber! 1 year 2 months ago #9975

• galade120
  • Thank you received: 6
My first saber was a resilient so I'm kinda partial to it, the balance with a 37" blade is roughly 5.5 inches away from the hilt, I don't have any other blades to compare it with but I hope this helps.
Own: 6w Amber warrior resilient, 6w green warrior consular, 6w green champion arbiter w/qds

Want: custom disciple, archon, bane, exalted
User 425
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Monarch hero for combat (10 Posts)
    • Quote: Quote: I removed the 4 rails along the body from my Monarch yesterday and I have to say the comfort level...
    • Not sabers exactly, but m... (40 Posts)
    • Quote: Haha, never imagined someone would have an Íñigo Montoya's sword replica :cheer: It's one of my...
    • ASP IGG issues (4 Posts)
    • OHMYGOD I just watched some asp reviews and now I'm certain I DIDN'T GET THE WARRENTY!!! will...
    • Ah thanks Brax but can anyone send the perk? I'd like to check it before emailing. The perks on IGG...
    • The only folks who can truly answer these questions, and rectify any issues is Customer Service....

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 4378
  • Latest Member: KMGittins
  • Total Posts: 43.3k
  • Total Topics: 3150
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 104
  • Today Open: 2
  • Yesterday Open: 6
  • Today Answer: 36
  • Yesterday Answer: 72