Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: 12W LED - Equal Light Diffusion?

12W LED - Equal Light Diffusion? 1 year 2 months ago #10234

• GunshowUK
Hi everyone,

Fresh induct to the SaberForge forums here. Been eyeing up products for a while but have always been put off by the excessive import duty I'd have to pay to import one of these gorgeous sabers to the UK. (Side note: would appreciate anyones past experiences in the UK also)

However lately I've been getting more and more tempted to make a purchase. I would just like an owners opinion/advice on the blade brightness to the tip on these sabers.
Up until now I've only owned Force FX sabers which as you know are LED strings, so are very even across the full length of the blade.

The pictures I've seen so far do look great, although I know the auto-exposure on most cameras seems to hide it. I was just wondering how evenly lit SaberForge V4 blades are, or if there is any way anyone has improved this?

Kind regards,
Joe
The topic has been locked.

12W LED - Equal Light Diffusion? 1 year 2 months ago #10265

• Knytiri
  • Banned
  • "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."
  • Thank you received: 471
The first thing to keep in mind when asking this question is that the v4 blades' primary purpose is dueling. They are thick walled, and high quality blades that won't break or shatter when being used. That being said, there are other blades on the market that may illuminate a touch more fully (Vader's Vault has some good options... for display-only blades) than a v4. But.... Personally, I find the illumination on the v4 to be perfectly satisfactory; I've never had a complaint about dull spots or anything of the sort through the blade, and find their tip illumination among the best of the blade types I've personally owned.

As you can see from this picture, the light does tend to flare out at the base of the saber, but I don't think it really tapers off, either. Personally I really like this, it tends to add what I feel is a realistic flare to a blade.

12W LED - Equal Light Diffusion? 1 year 2 months ago #10286

• DarthMario95
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 201
Yeah, while the overall brightness of a saberforge in hilt LED will outshine a string LED used in MR/Hasbro sabers, the string will be more evenly lit simply as a result of having light sources throughout the length of the hilt.

That said, I also find the V4 blades to be just fine in terms of illumination and brightness. Keep in mind that thin neck sabers like Redeemer, Exhalted, and Prodigal Son will be a little less bright and a little less evenly lit owing to the thin neck design.
"Always a pleasure to meet a Jedi…"

The following user(s) said Thank You: Cyrusred

12W LED - Equal Light Diffusion? 1 year 2 months ago #10292

• dk5491
I live in the UK and have my first lightsaber currently on order from Saberforge (hopefully arriving next week) and i'm pretty sure Saberforge have labelled the parcel up as 'LED torch and plastic tube, valued at £35' ...or something along those lines, to help avoid excessive tax. That being said, it hasn't actually arrived yet so i'm still unsure how much i will end up having to pay.... I will update this as soon as I find out though! I messaged saberforge before ordering and they said they tend to label up parcels in this way as a matter or course.

On the topic of even brightness, id like to know peoples opinions on what the absolute best blade type would be to achieve the highest brightness and most even lighting possible? The saber i have on order is a champion level Exhalted with purple LED, which as far as i can tell, isn't going to be the brightest configuration, (due to the thin neck and colour mix) hence the interest in fitting a super bright blade (if possible?) when not being used for dueling purposes.

Knytiri, out of interest, which hilt do you have there? I love the purple!

12W LED - Equal Light Diffusion? 1 year 2 months ago #10293

• Knytiri
  • Banned
  • "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."
  • Thank you received: 471
That particular saber was the weathered Avenger, with the new Indigo LED, which on my camera does come out looking a lot like the standard purple. :)

12W LED - Equal Light Diffusion? 1 year 2 months ago #10296

• dk5491
Ah, i see. I do like the Avenger, especially with weathered finish! Maybe that will be a future purchase... :)
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Heavy Flex v2.0 (14 Posts)
    • The adapter and chassis are separate parts. The adapter is for the blade socket section and the...
    • Heavy Flex v2.0 (14 Posts)
    • Quote: The adaptor and the hilt are both sold out from VV and the 2.0 is no longer in production from...
    • Quality Darth Vader repli... (6 Posts)
    • I suspect that Vader's hilt will be as in high demand this holiday season as the graflex was this...
    • Where to buy Timing Shims... (30 Posts)
    • It seems that the shims are availible as a pack on www.shopsaberparts.com for $14.99 I kinda wish...
    • Master Replica Force FX C... (16 Posts)
    • The Crees usually win out, mainly because the individual diodes are larger/brighter and are designed...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 4401
  • Latest Member: w00kiee
  • Total Posts: 44.5k
  • Total Topics: 3204
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 106
  • Today Open: 7
  • Yesterday Open: 10
  • Today Answer: 61
  • Yesterday Answer: 85