Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Customs in the UK!

Customs in the UK! 1 year 2 months ago #10333

• Phin
Hi guys, I'm a new member to the forums, looking to share in the wisdom of those of you who have been members for a while.

I'm in the UK, and placed an order for 2 sabers back on April 7th. I'm obviously pretty darn excited for them to arrive - they got to the UK on the 5th, and yesterday they got Customs clearance. I had got the impression that this would take longer, so I was quite pleased. However, now the sabers are 'Awaiting Customs Charging' - I've googled this process and common consensus suggests it takes ages and you're landed with an import fee! Has anyone in the UK got any knowledge of this process from their experience?

I thought I'd start this thread to satisfy my curiosity and excitement and hopefully help anyone else in a similar agonising situation!

Thanks in anticipation.
The topic has been locked.

Customs in the UK! 1 year 2 months ago #10337

• dk5491
Hi Phin, I am in exactly the same situation as you currently! I ordered my saber on 9th April from Etsy and my tracking status now is 'customs clearance processing complete'. Now, all i know so far is that Saberforge have told me that they label up parcels as 'LED torch and plastic tube, valued at £35' in order to avoid excessive import tax etc... But i have also discovered that USPS by default always use Parcel Force to complete the delivery once the package reaches the UK and unfortunately for us, Parcel Force are apparently the only courier in the UK who charge a 'handling fee', payable by us :unsure:. I phoned Parcel Force today in order to find out if i need to pay any charges before they will deliver. They said i only owe £15 which i presume is the handling fee, so therefore i may have avoided tax :silly:

The next stage is paying this fee, which i am told i cant do until my saber reaches the local depot which should be tomorrow, and then i can phone up and pay over the phone. If i do this they will then deliver my saber at the earliest next Monday. I have decided however that if it does arrive at my local depot tomorrow i will just head over there myself, pay the fee and hopefully return home with my saber in time for the weekend!

If you haven't done so already, i suggest you track your parcel on Parcel Force's website, as it gives you slightly more up to date info than tracking through Etsy or USPS. Better still, just phone parcel force to find out if you owe any payment and to properly find out exactly where those lightsabers are!

I hope in some way, my very limited experience helps a little :)

Customs in the UK! 1 year 2 months ago #10341

• Phin
Thanks dude - that's a great help. I'll be getting in touch with ParcelForce before the day is out, thanks to your advice! Let me know when your saber arrives, I hope it brings you as much joy as it has anticipation!

And also, don't forget to vote! :cheer:

Customs in the UK! 1 year 2 months ago #10506

• dk5491
No problem Phin! Pleased i could help.
I went to pick mine up from my local depot on Friday, and i must say i have been pleasantly surprised by the customs and shipping process. There were no hold ups or unexpected chargers - in total i had to pay £15 at the depot. This covered VAT and the Parcelforce handling fee. Saberforge did a great job labeling up the parcel :cheer:

Any updates on yours?

Haha yes, very interesting election!

Customs in the UK! 1 year 2 months ago #10511

• Phin
Oh that's awesome dude! Mine reached the local depot on Friday night and the status changed to "awaiting payment of charges" so I took your advice and rang up to get hold of the reference number and paid them Saturday morning, however it would appear the option to collect isn't available on weekends so I'm settling for it being delivered tomorrow or Tuesday!
I only incurred £21 of charges which given that I've got two sabers on the way seems fair enough compared to your £15. My excitement is peaking!
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• DIY Sound Board Breakdown... (109 Posts)
    • HotRod, in any way your info was misleading. Its about gathering enough information in order to make...
    • SF Quad Cree Mixing Combi... (69 Posts)
    • Quote: If you want to use lots of day blades, I'd say to just get a white LED. True. And if I got an empty...
    • Adding sound to Warrior t... (7 Posts)
    • That second NEC all in one chassis is interesting. Having an internal recharge port would allow for...
    • Themed Sabers (712 Posts)
    • The name for this saber comes from the common name of an ancient Greek coin from Athens, bearing an...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 4370
  • Latest Member: TheWinterWild
  • Total Posts: 43.1k
  • Total Topics: 3139
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 104
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 4
  • Today Answer: 0
  • Yesterday Answer: 42