Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Ultrasabers Grab Bag #2 - Dominix LE V4

Ultrasabers Grab Bag #2 - Dominix LE V4 1 year 9 months ago #48733

• monkeyofshaolin
  • Thank you received: 29
Confession time! In my post about getting a Grab Bag from Ultrasabers, I said that I wouldn't get another one for fear that I would get the same saber again. Well, I couldn't resist trying my luck one more time, so I ordered my second Grab Bag late night March 16th. Geebus, I hope this isn't going to become an addiction. LOL :p

When I first submitted my order, I was met with an error message stating that the site had timed out while trying to process my credit card, so I submitted the other again, but with PayPal instead. After completing the second round, I noticed my account had 2 orders, 1 for my credit card and 1 for PayPal! I immediately e-mailed Ultrasabers and told them what happened.

The next day, Marlena from Ultrasabers e-mailed me back stating my credit card had timed out and I only had 1 order, which was paid for my PayPal.

Fast forward to this past Monday, March 21. I received my order via UPS (That was fast!!), which came with the same $19.98 CAD duty charge as last time. So, people from Ontario, be aware that it seems customs has flagged Ultrasabers and will most likely charge duties.

Before I talk about the saber I received, though, I want to mention that today, I checked my credit card statement and found out that Marlena was wrong. Ultrasabers had actually charged my credit card via the web site despite having "timed out", so I had been double-charged! I have since e-mailed Marlena and am awaiting her reply and my refund. I will update you all when I hear back from Ultrasabers.

Okay, the lightsaber! This time around, the only options I chose for my Grab Bag were to add the Circle blade plug and get a Covertech wheel installed. This came to $78.00 USD. I also added a 24" Initiate Grab Bag Blade to my order for $7.00 USD. So, technically, the saber cost $85.00 USD. Shipping to Ontario, Canada cost $38.33 USD.

The Grab Bag hilt I received is a Dominix LE V4 with hilt windows, standard red activation switch, Covertech wheel near the pommel, and Guardian Blue light. The 24" Grab Bag blade I received is a standard (NOT UltraEdge) mid-grade blade. If you had ordered all of this directly on the Ultrasabers site, the cost would have been $102.99 before shipping. Man, I got a great deal here!

The Dominix LE V4 feels quite sturdy and is on the heavier side. Check out the photo below comparing it to my Dark Apprentice LE V4. There is a very noticeable difference in length! I look forward to seeing how this difference affects doing spins over time. At this time, I've only done a few spins with both sabers using the 24" blade and I can say that it seems a little more difficult with the Dominix. This is probably because of where the centre of weight is on the Dominix - it's much closer to the hilt. I'll get a better feel for things once I've spun both sabers a bit more.

Speaking of the blade, what a difference there is between 24" and 36"! Geez, the 24" blade feels like a toy, especially since it's mid-grade. One thing that is bothering me is that my blade has these rings along its length, which you can see in the photos. These rings are not present on my high grade UltraEdge blade. I wonder if these rings are here due to the blade grade or the lack of UltraEdge... The latter seems less plausible because UltraEdge is supposed to mean there is a diffusion film inside the tube. That shouldn't affect the actual tube. So, this is probably a mid-grade vs. high grade issue. What do you think?

The Guardian Blue colour is very nice. It seems to be of a darker shade of blue than my Saberforge Light Blue saber, but I'm not 100% sure since my Saberforge saber has a 12w emitter while the Dominix probably has the equivalent of a 6w emitter. I can definitely tell my Dominix is dimmer when looking at it and my Saberforge saber side by side.

My one and only complaint about the Guardian Blue colour is that for some odd reason, it messes up my camera sensor. My camera keeps wanting to highly over saturate my photos, and this even happens when I switch to manual. Just look at the photos below with my saber on and compare them to both my photos of my Dark Apprentice with Fire Orange and my Saberforge Acolyte in Light Blue. I just can't get a properly focused shot of my Dominix without the parts where the blue shows up being very saturated. And, to make matters worse, this problems extends to where the blue reflects. Look at the photo of me and you'll see what I mean. That photo is unedited. So weird! Is this an issue with the colour or the actual emitters?

All in all, I am very happy with what I received in my second Grab Bag. Hopefully, I will get a refund on my double order soon, which will make me even happier. Will I be going for a third Grab Bag? This time, I swear I definitely won't! Seriously, I can't afford it. LOL :p Can I still recommend a Grab Bag? Yes, but only if you are okay with the randomness. Also, if you encounter the credit card time-out issue I did, know that the card may have gone through. Just e-mail Ultrasabers instead of trying the order again.

And, that's it! Now, to the photos!

The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: For Tyeth, Eddlyss64, MommyHoldMe

Ultrasabers Grab Bag #2 - Dominix LE V4 1 year 9 months ago #48735

• Darth-Revan
  • Platinum Member
  • Ruler of the Waiting Guild: Round N Round is the motto, Up and Down will you follow?
  • Thank you received: 123
Not bad. Obviously I'm not a fan of Ultrasabers, but I must admit this is a nice looking hilt. And what about that color, gorgeous. I love blue, a lot!

Congratulations on your purchase my friend! Enjoy :)!
"Honor is a fool's price. Honor is of no use to the dead."

- Custom SaberForge Monarch
- Vader's Vault REV-N Elite + Graflex
- Korbanth Kylo Ren
The following user(s) said Thank You: monkeyofshaolin

Ultrasabers Grab Bag #2 - Dominix LE V4 1 year 9 months ago #48737

• schmots
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 89
For 100 bucks I might have to try a grab bag. Wait.. they are light only right, no sound.

Ultrasabers Grab Bag #2 - Dominix LE V4 1 year 9 months ago #48741

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
  • "Either in belief or doubt, if I lean to one of these sides, my reaction time will be dulled if my heart thinks the opposite of what I choose."
  • Thank you received: 207
Mmmm, pretty! I can definitely appreciate US' sabers of the fancier variety, such as this one. Speaking of which, this Dominix looks like the Dark Jedi sibling of my brother's Blue Sentinel!

Emerald Knight, Chosen, Dark Paladin, Sentinel

Ultrasabers Grab Bag #2 - Dominix LE V4 1 year 9 months ago #48743

• For Tyeth
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 973
Hi all, Monkeyofshaolin,

I was toying with the idea of getting a US Saber (either a Grab Bag or a Sentinel V4 LE) but then some forum and the reviews I read on it persuaded me to get a Disciple. I do still want to get a Sentinel V4 or similar so I can compare them myself.
Looking at yours however I may have to consider a Dominix or Aeon now also! Thanks for sharing some great pics.

For Tyeth

Ultrasabers Grab Bag #2 - Dominix LE V4 1 year 9 months ago #48752

• Andi-Jae EL
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 144
Nice grab bag! Hope it satisfies your saber thirst for a bit. I know mine has.....for now. I like that it's a little longer than your other (and the one I received). The guardian blue looks great.
- Light em up

Ultrasabers Grab Bag #2 - Dominix LE V4 1 year 9 months ago #48754

• OvrcAHst
  • Thank you received: 1716
monkeyofshaolin, :lol: One giant leap into the depths of Saber-Frenzy! Congratulations with your second helping and randomness of Grab-Bag#2. Would you have really stopped at just the one?, Really? :P Looks like you've scored well (again) with a favourable Hilt. Shame about the double-charge. Just hope that error gets resolved quickly for you. (unless you decide to keep it as store credit for Grab Bag #3? :lol: )

With the session timeout, I tend to park the list in Cart for a final check, close all tabs and walk away to be reviewed a final time before completing the transaction. Often when you're selecting your choices you become side-tracked with extra pockets of information and how much time passing becomes lost.

Funny thing with the Blue and how it gets captured by camera. Experienced the very same with the Blue on my Custom Consular with the bleeding effect (or saturation as you put it).
How it shows on camera is one thing, it is however very different and rather acceptable in person which I'm sure you'd agree.

Looks like Saber Selfies Thread may have another +1 incoming? Your Fire Orange with GB#1 depicted you as a Look-E-Likey in Something New as Grant Imahara. With this current offering, I saw some Donnie Yen greatness in you. :P Enjoyment of your Saber to you.

Ultrasabers Grab Bag #2 - Dominix LE V4 1 year 9 months ago #48777

• Prowl
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 53
Congrats on that grab bag! GB is indeed their darker blue color, they also do a lighter Arctic Blue.
Hi all, Monkeyofshaolin,

I was toying with the idea of getting a US Saber (either a Grab Bag or a Sentinel V4 LE) but then some forum and the reviews I read on it persuaded me to get a Disciple. I do still want to get a Sentinel V4 or similar so I can compare them myself.
Looking at yours however I may have to consider a Dominix or Aeon now also! Thanks for sharing some great pics.

The Sentinel is a fantastic hilt, I have two of the Dark versions of it myself and find them very comfortable to hold, although I do prefer the US Prophecy over it.

Ultrasabers Grab Bag #2 - Dominix LE V4 1 year 9 months ago #48780

• MommyHoldMe
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 238
I personally want to purchase a grab bag, when I get medically better of course due to how unique the idea is. In a way, it is a Loot Crate but for saber fans. It is a creative idea that US came up with.
You give life, You are love.You bring light to the darkness.
You give hope, You restore every heart that is broken.

Ultrasabers Grab Bag #2 - Dominix LE V4 1 year 9 months ago #48784

• monkeyofshaolin
  • Thank you received: 29
Darth-Revan, thank you. I love blue a ton, too. It's my favourite saber colour. :D

schmots, yes, the Grab Bag sabers are all stunt sabers with no sound.

Eddlyss64, I've looked at US's hilts on their site and do agree some of their fancier ones are quite nice. I am especially a fan of their Thundercats Sword of Omens! BTW, veeery nice photos of your br, err, just your saber.

For Tyeth, glad you like my pics. You should... get aaaaaaall the sabers! :p

Andi-Jae EL, thanks. At this time, my thirst is quenched, though I wonder if it's more due to monetary reasons than being satisfied with the number of hilts I have. LOL My wife, on the other hand, really wants a Saberforge saber right now and it seems she wants a Sith-ish one, too. Alas, I am a Jedi... VADERNOOOOOOOOO!

OvrcAHst, hahaha. Yep, I indeed seem to have Saber Frenzy. AIYAH! Thanks for the tip on timeouts. I'll keep that in mind if I order again from US. Maybe Grab Bag #3?.... Nope. No.... Must. Remain. In. Control. :p BTW, thanks for the kind words about my selfies! I'm a pretty big fan of Donnie Yen. Have you seen his Ip Man movies? OMG, they're good!

Prowl, thanks for the info on US's Guardian Blue colour. I didn't know they had an Arctic Blue. I must have missed that on their list.

MommyHoldMe, you've got a point. It really is kind of like Loot Crate, minus the subscription part. And, as it turns out, I'm a Loot Crate subscriber. Go figure! BTW, I hope you get medically better very soon!
The following user(s) said Thank You: For Tyeth

Ultrasabers Grab Bag #2 - Dominix LE V4 1 year 9 months ago #48795

• OvrcAHst
  • Thank you received: 1716
monkeyofshaolin wrote:
hahaha. Yep, I indeed seem to have Saber Frenzy. AIYAH! Thanks for the tip on timeouts. I'll keep that in mind if I order again from US. Maybe Grab Bag #3?.... Nope. No.... Must. Remain. In. Control. :p BTW, thanks for the kind words about my selfies! I'm a pretty big fan of Donnie Yen. Have you seen his Ip Man movies? OMG, they're good!
Unlikely Grab Bag#3 as you say however I do suspect quite possibly a dedicated purchase for something ending in Omens?? :lol: Coincidentally, that was my first 'draw-to' Thumbnail when I was introduced to the site. I'm a sucker for Thundercats (Original Release & Reanimated). I would've gotten it to if just for the Hilt but because I wanted the blade was turned off a little that it still accepted a round blade. If there were a Custom one that was flat the outcome would have been different. You should get in touch with Prowl if you do ever consider it. His US collection is rather extensive (still, even compared to in total) and I believe he has one in his possession.

I've got more than a few Donnie Yen movies in my collection. My most recent one of his watched was Kung-Fu Jungle and Yes, have seen his Ip Man depictions, first and second but not yet with the third. I've actually already cut a file of the Ip Man Intro Instrumental to be copied into the Sabertracks Folder when I get my Hero Tier. From there, I'll be trying to incorporate additional usages as well. ;) Thank you for your reply.

Ultrasabers Grab Bag #2 - Dominix LE V4 1 year 8 months ago #48933

• Prowl
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 53
I do indeed own a US Omen hilt (Azure Omen) It's really awesome and as a dedicated Thundercats fan I love it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Savannah95
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Deep blue or Medium blue (2 Posts)
    • https://saberforge.com/products/led-colors Not owning either color, this is the quickest resource...
    • What length blade plug sh... (3 Posts)
    • A 2in should do nicely On the 07 emitter, the bottom 1.5in is for your LED
    • List of inspirations? (9 Posts)
    • Quote: Exhalted - Inspired by Jacen Solo ARES was named after the Son of Saberforge and was a precusror...
    • Deep blue or Medium blue (2 Posts)
    • Can someone show me the difference between medium blue and deep blue? I cant decide and can only...
    • List of inspirations? (9 Posts)
    • Exhalted - Inspired by Jacen Solo ARES was named after the Son of Saberforge and was a precusror...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6256
  • Latest Member: erikaguirre323
  • Total Posts: 62.8k
  • Total Topics: 5279
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 136
  • Today Open: 2
  • Yesterday Open: 7
  • Today Answer: 12
  • Yesterday Answer: 31