Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Scrap parts saber

Scrap parts saber 3 months 4 days ago #59581

• Luthais
  • Thank you received: 9
I built this saber a couple years ago from random helicopter parts. I had no idea stuff like saberforge existed. The only sabers I had ever seen were the cheap plastic stuff or the movie replicas.

The pommel is a position light lens, the hilt is a piece of the engine with an F4 tape wrap, the emitter is from an LED anti-collision light as are the LEDs in the blade, and the blade is just some clear tube I found. Internally there is a 9volt battery that powers the LEDs in the blade and a small bulb in the pommel activated by a toggle switch just above the pommel.

I was so proud of it at the time. My sentinel (when I finally receive it!) will put it to shame.

Last Edit: 3 months 4 days ago by Luthais.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jaden Korr, =Ottomatix=, Eddlyss64, OvrcAHst

Scrap parts saber 3 months 4 days ago #59593

• =Ottomatix=
  • Platinum Member
  • "The fear of loss is a Path to the Darkside, Train yourself to Let Go of everything you Fear to Lose"
  • Thank you received: 461
Luthais, a unique creation for sure, any hand made creation is something to be proud of. I first discovered Saberforge last October researching cosplay construction. The Sentinel is a good hilt, what finish and LED did you order?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Luthais

Scrap parts saber 3 months 4 days ago #59602

• Luthais
Standard finish and green LED. Black reptile wrap and a 37" blade.

I ordered 12 March and got my pre-shipment 7 June, so hopefully only a week or so more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: =Ottomatix=

Scrap parts saber 3 months 4 days ago #59603

• =Ottomatix=
  • Platinum Member
  • "The fear of loss is a Path to the Darkside, Train yourself to Let Go of everything you Fear to Lose"
Luthais just a friendly FYI. 37" blade in an apprentice hilt, can be alittle unbalanced. I've 2 apprentice sabers, and an Archon. I purchased 32" blades for my Consular and Disciple, and a 37" blade for the larger Archon. Put the 37" blade in one of my apprentice hilts and it's just a bit to long for the smaller apprentice hilts. The 32" blade has a much better balance, and just wanted to pass this info along. This info is unknown to alot of new buyers. If this has been a concern or consideration, would recommend going with a 32" blade IMO. If you want to change your mind , I don't think it would be that difficult to change your order. An email to customers service (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. ) for a blade change on your order may still be a possibility.

Scrap parts saber 3 months 4 days ago #59606

• Luthais
Thanks for the heads up, Ottomatix. I came to that realization about the blade length while reading reviews on these forums. I put in a request to change to a 32" blade and the next day I got my shipment notice. I was informed they could not change my order after the shipment notice was sent (even though technically I sent my email before they did!). So if it is a problem, I will probably just have to order a 32" blade later on.

Scrap parts saber 3 months 4 days ago #59613

• =Ottomatix=
  • Platinum Member
That's ridiculous, but I guess I'm not surprised. The blades are pre made and easy enough to just put a 32" blade in the box when packaging,Unbelievable!! Well if you have access to a pipe cutter, it's the easiest, and cleanest way to trim the blade.

This would be your best option. The diffusion film inside is glued in with hot glue. Warm the glue and pick it out, and the diffusion film will slide out. Don't remove it completely, but enough of it to trim. Remember to account for approximately 1.5cm of space between the bottom of the blade and edge of the film. You will understand what I mean once you see the inside of the one you ordered. Hope this helps, good luck and looking forward to your review post.
Last Edit: 3 months 4 days ago by =Ottomatix=.

Scrap parts saber 3 months 4 days ago #59614

• Luthais
Yeah, I thought the same thing. The blade isn't really part of the hilt for build purposes...

Thanks for the info on cutting the blade down!

Scrap parts saber 3 months 4 days ago #59630

• HotRod
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 284
I'm sorry, the words, "I built this saber a couple years ago from random helicopter parts" and "My Sentinel will put it to shame" cannot go in the same conversation. :-) I am by no means knocking the Sentinel, because it is awesome. But how many people can say they built a saber from Helicopter parts?! That is awesome! I tip my hat to your ingenuity.

- RGBA+ Monarch, FW Epoch, Juggernaut, Exhalted

Scrap parts saber 3 months 4 days ago #59632

• Luthais
Thanks Hotrod.

When I first discovered these sabers, my wife said "Aren't you supposed to make your own light saber?". I told her "But I already have!".

I am just glad she was behind me getting one. She told me if they were as cool as they seem when I get mine that the next one is for her.

Scrap parts saber 3 months 4 days ago #59642

• HotRod
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 284
Ha, my wife was the same. Once they see it they become converts. She already built a hilt in the ASP system. It's fun to watch their opinion change and join in on the fun! :-)

- RGBA+ Monarch, FW Epoch, Juggernaut, Exhalted

Scrap parts saber 3 months 4 days ago #59659

• Luthais
This pre-shipment wait is killing me! It seems worse than the previous 12 weeks. Everything I see is a light saber. I just liberated these items (more helicopter parts).

Last Edit: 3 months 4 days ago by Luthais.

Scrap parts saber 3 months 3 days ago #59668

• =Ottomatix=
  • Platinum Member
Whoa, that spiral cam thing, would make a great crystal chamber. What part is that?

Scrap parts saber 3 months 3 days ago #59672

• Luthais
That's exactly what I was thinking.

It is part of the fuel control unit of an engine on a UH60 Blackhawk. The control cable that regulates fuel hooks up to this. Not sure why it's shaped like that though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: =Ottomatix=

Scrap parts saber 3 months 3 days ago #59675

• Luthais
Here is a quick prototype I came up with today. (Busy day at work!) I cannibalized my original saber from this post and used some of the new parts I found. Unfortunately, I couldn't use the "crystal chamber" on the hilt where it didn't look too busy, so I used it as a pommel. Maybe I can put a light in it down there. None of the parts are bonded together yet, so I will prob go through a few iterations before I actually put it all together.

Last Edit: 3 months 3 days ago by Luthais.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eddlyss64
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Raspberry Pi Zero Sound b... (4 Posts)
    • So, after some further research, Raspberry Pi Zero, gonna have to vote that one down. Not really a...
    • ESB Bespin Luke Skywalker... (27 Posts)
    • Quote: Quote: I may have to retake this shot with the saber off for the Legion, so that might be opportunity to...
    • Quote: I may have to retake this shot with the saber off for the Legion, so that might be opportunity to...
    • Quote: If you feel like taking more pictures, a shot in the same pose but with a lamp on the floor, behind...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 4525
  • Latest Member: miltonmq11
  • Total Posts: 47.3k
  • Total Topics: 3480
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 112
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 5
  • Today Answer: 44
  • Yesterday Answer: 45