Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Ultrasabers Archon v3.1 versus Saberforge Exhalted

Ultrasabers Archon v3.1 versus Saberforge Exhalted 9 months 2 weeks ago #61255

• Prowl
  • Thank you received: 41
Which one do I like better? Watch the video!

The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Execute66, Greysider, OvrcAHst, HotRod

Ultrasabers Archon v3.1 versus Saberforge Exhalted 9 months 2 weeks ago #61256

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 445
Good video!

I have both as well. I think the Saberforge hilt is nicer and the LED is brighter (i.e. 12W+ versus the Tri-Cree). But both are excellent sabers worth having, which is the main point. I would not "reject" either.
"I am the Senate"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Prowl

Ultrasabers Archon v3.1 versus Saberforge Exhalted 9 months 2 weeks ago #61257

• OvrcAHst
  • War. Mostly Dark, Often Grey, Sometimes Light
  • Thank you received: 1551
Nice Video Prowl. A suggestion worth considering, perhaps have them propped on separate stands to prevent the rolling frustration or even grab one of the cushions from the couch :P I agree with your comment about the SF that wields better. It's something that's difficult to describe or even articulate but once you have them in-hand it just makes sense. I've never been conscious of the contrast differences on the actual neck where (from Emitter down) SF is black into brass and US is brass into black. You just need to get yourself a SF Chosen to throw into the mix now. ;)

IIRC, US uses a 16mm AV versus SF 12mm AV. The latter being recessed into the Hilt IMO makes a huge difference and favours handling. Had always thought the Tri-Ring was bigger because it looks quite small. You mentioned that you had an Archon 2.1. Wouldn't it have been easier just to get the 3.0 Thin Neck to swap-out or is the 3.0 Emitter not available separately? Difficult to choose however I agree with your conclusion and decision made. :)

Ultrasabers Archon v3.1 versus Saberforge Exhalted 9 months 2 weeks ago #61258

• Prowl
Heh, my camera man also suggested the cushions (after the fact). Yes, having them in hand really makes the difference in deciding between them, although I do like that the Exhalted is more detailed as well.

As for the AV switch, I'm fine with both, I have noticed that the US hilts have a raised switch while SF sabers are more flush with the body. I do think both are good though, personally.

At the time the the 3.1 emitter wasn't sold separately. Also I wanted the body for the D-ring, I hated the fact that my 2.1 had it's covertech wheel placed on the left side, right in the way of my left hand. Plus I wanted the all silver pommel, my 2.1 had the black and silver pommel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OvrcAHst

Ultrasabers Archon v3.1 versus Saberforge Exhalted 9 months 2 weeks ago #61259

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 585
US runs their Tri-Crees at a combined 1000mA, rather than the full 3000mA needed for maximum brightness. Even if it was resisted for 3A, the batteries they use are limited to 2A, so that poor thing will never be at full brightness.

Emitter detail comes down to the US being based on Luke's lathed emitter that was smooth in the original prop, while the Exalted uses an Obi-Wan emitter which was originally made from a more detailed machine part. I *think* US offers a similarly detailed emitter in its Overlord, but there's no matching thin-neck. The SF Prodigal Son offers its own smooth Luke emitter.

Metal type should be the same in both hilts, so difference in feel is perhaps due to the thicker walls in the Exalted. Both hilts have a 1.5" OD, but the US has 1/8" walls, while the Exalted likely has 3/16" walls. The Exalted handling might come down to having more metal in the hilt to counterbalance the blade.

Technical bits aside, a fair comparison of the two.

By the by, if you're ever up for a bit of modding and *really* want a recessed switch in a US hilt, you can order one of their sabers with a Guarded switch, remove the switch, widen the hole to 12mm (1/2"), and drop a 12mm AV switch into the recessed hole left behind.

Ultrasabers Archon v3.1 versus Saberforge Exhalted 9 months 2 weeks ago #61301

• HotRod
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 343
Another great detailed review. I can't speak to this much as I have never owned an Ultrasabers saber, but I know many out there will find this type of comparison useful!

- RGBA+ Monarch, FW Epoch, Juggernaut, Exhalted

Ultrasabers Archon v3.1 versus Saberforge Exhalted 9 months 2 weeks ago #61316

• Greysider
  • Platinum Member
  • "I am not your kind. I do not feed off vengeance. I am a Jedi." - Quinlan Vos
  • Thank you received: 285
Awesome review Prowl. Very in-depth. Glad you're loving your Exhalted. Enjoy that beauty!
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU

Ultrasabers Archon v3.1 versus Saberforge Exhalted 9 months 1 week ago #61333

• Prowl
Thanks for the feedback and advise, guys! I feel the need to add more SF sabers to my collection. Of course there are still a couple US sabers I want too.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• ASP Sabers and more... (1 Posts)
    • I tried posting earlier but I think I failed, so let me try again Here are some of my sabers, mostly...
    • Convention Special Deals (1 Posts)
    • CONVENTION SPECIAL SAVE 100.00! Warrior Saber Package A great consolation prize if you can't make...
    • Themed Sabers (768 Posts)
    • Hi Snakeeyz99, Wow there is a similarity, which is great as I'll never have a chance to see my...
    • First Pictures of New App... (29 Posts)
    • Does anyone know if the Heretic is considered a "thin neck saber"? Trying to figure out if it's...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 4827
  • Latest Member: glassjaw
  • Total Posts: 54.3k
  • Total Topics: 4409
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119
  • Today Open: 2
  • Yesterday Open: 4
  • Today Answer: 0
  • Yesterday Answer: 29