Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

TOPIC: Finished K4

Finished K4 4 months 2 weeks ago #72187

• Vechaljian
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 129
Finished this bad boy up, was a lot of cramfui that went into it, it uses a tri cree Royal blue, blue, white FOC, using a Ignitor 2, with a maxi amp added, feature stereo dual 20mm speakers, a 18650 3400 mah battery , it uses .88 goth 3d printed chassis, for the battery, board, center speaker and kill key/rear speaker. it has a rumble motor on Pad C4(so it can be turned off) I used the 7/8 emitter part of the kit, and to cap it off I had a old Saber bay .88 heat sink laying around I turned into my blade plug. I've not had time to set the fonts yet, but I will be doing so later on, and maybe make a short video then.
The Led is held into the emitter with a 7/8 thin internal snap ring and the emitter works perfectly as its own heat sink.

The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Execute66, DK44, Jas-Ot

Finished K4 4 months 2 weeks ago #72188

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 266
Awesome. Soon as my Forsaken sells I'll likely be getting started on a K4 too. I'll probably hit you up for some build advice. Gorgeous. Mmm mmm mmm.

Finished K4 4 months 2 weeks ago #72207

• DK44
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 137
Beautiful!.....man the more i see these finished K4's the more I want one
:lol:

Finished K4 4 months 2 weeks ago #72208

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 505
Beautiful! Well done!
"I am the Senate"

Finished K4 4 months 2 weeks ago #72211

• Muns
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 132
Man I love the K4. Nice to see another one!
:cheer:

Finished K4 4 months 2 weeks ago #72248

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
Question:

How sturdy is the blade in the socket on these? I have the hilt sitting in my TCSS cart and about to pull the trigger but wanted some feedback on the blade retention first.

EDIT: I saw Shameem's video on it, but looking for additional feedback.
Last Edit: 4 months 2 weeks ago by Jas-Ot.

Finished K4 4 months 2 weeks ago #72251

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
Well, trigger finger was happy, so K4 on it's way.

Still would love any feedback though on the blade socket.

Finished K4 4 months 2 weeks ago #72252

• Vechaljian
  • Elite Member
Make sure you order some short 10-32 x 1/16 or 1/8 retention screws(1/4 was too long),the emitter with the led set directly in, its shallow and wont be a full contact duel worthy saber, but the emitters have 2 holes drilled for blade retention, and with a thin wall blade with the 2 set screws evenly tightened and since they are positioned across from each other they do a good job of holding the blade in for show/spins and light contact.
also you don't need to order a modified base led even if using the 7/8 emitter, since you can't use a heat sink the unmodified led will fit perfectly in the 7/8 emitter bottom. I used the 7/8 internal snap ring as overkill cause I didn't want to leave any excuse for the led to come loose or move.
Last Edit: 4 months 2 weeks ago by Vechaljian.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jas-Ot

Finished K4 4 months 2 weeks ago #72254

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
I'm going to order the LED from LEDsupply, standard 20mm star. Should fit in there just fine.
I prefer to use Artic Silver for a TIM, and while it's tacky, it wont hold the same as thermal tape, so that snap ring idea sounds like the way to go.

Recommendations on chassis? I'm still trying to decide on Soundboard, leaning to a Spark2 since the LED will be B/B/W. Although not sure about sound quality/volume from a single 20mm speaker.

Edit: NM on chassis, after re-reading I see that you just did a sandwhich of the battery, speaker, igniter, and speaker/key sleds.
Last Edit: 4 months 2 weeks ago by Jas-Ot.

Finished K4 4 months 2 weeks ago #72255

• Vechaljian
  • Elite Member
Jas-Ot wrote:
I'm going to order the LED from LEDsupply, standard 20mm star. Should fit in there just fine.
I prefer to use Artic Silver for a TIM, and while it's tacky, it wont hold the same as thermal tape, so that snap ring idea sounds like the way to go.

Recommendations on chassis? I'm still trying to decide on Soundboard, leaning to a Spark2 since the LED will be B/B/W. Although not sure about sound quality/volume from a single 20mm speaker.
the sound on 2 20mm bass speakers is kinda amazing, there are relief cut outs under the clamp that lets that upper speaker let out some good sound, and almost overrides the rumble motors feel.
I bought goth 3d chassis part for 7/8 since it 7/8 all the way through the chassis, and just under 8inches(from grenade to end of pommel) with all the parts you come out just over 7 inches. I got a battery holder section, and 20 mm section, a ignitor/spark section and the 20mm recharge port combo, I got a maxi amp from NEC so I could run 2x 20mm speakers, I didn't use the capacitor/resistor cause I wanted stereo sound, not the sub woofer sound. the maxi amp will just fit on the under side of the sound board chassis section. under clamp there is a lot of cut out relief in that section so I was able to hide some of the wires for the switches and the rumble motor there.
I basically put the battery in the grenade section, I glued the upper 20 mm speaker to the sound board section, used the relief section under the clamp to run wires over the speaker to the switch, led and battery ect.. and glue some Velcro to the bottom speaker/receharge port combo so I can move it to access the memory card when the pommel is off.
also if you've ever done a graflex and you rounded out the clamp lever slot for more tension I suggest you do that, cause its a royal pain to get the switches to slide under the clamp and the bubble card is loose as hell.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jas-Ot

Finished K4 4 months 2 weeks ago #72258

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
Gotcha,

Clamp makes sense, same parts as the flex 2.0 if I'm not mistaken.

Probably be two or three months before it gets finished (I've got commissions to finish), so I'll have plenty of time to figure out the logistics.

Curious to see about rigging up and X4 star in the grip to shine up the neck similar to the SF method. Down the road and K4 #2

Finished K4 4 months 2 weeks ago #72260

• Vechaljian
  • Elite Member
The hole is like 1/4 inch, very very small compared to SF. its so small I doubt enough light would make it up to do any good.

Finished K4 4 months 2 weeks ago #72261

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
Vechaljian wrote:
The hole is like 1/4 inch, very very small compared to SF. its so small I doubt enough light would make it up to do any good.

Where there's a will, there's a way, or worst case just use a bigger hammer.... :dry: :P

Finished K4 4 months 2 weeks ago #72263

• Vechaljian
  • Elite Member
Jas-Ot wrote:
Vechaljian wrote:

Where there's a will, there's a way, or worst case just use a bigger hammer.... :dry: :P
suppose if you have a drill press you could drill it out wider..or how about a laser pointer :)

Finished K4 4 months 2 weeks ago #72264

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
HA!

Yeah once I get above the $100 mark on a hilt it very quickly moves out of the...

..."Experimental weathering and design" category:

And into the...

..."My Precious...." category

Finished K4 4 months 2 weeks ago #72265

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
Mine is on the way. On the heat sink: are you comfortable with using the emitter as its own heat sink? (Or have I mis-read your post)? I also want the LEDs to be right up there, not beneath the thin-neck for maximum brightness.

Beautiful!
"I am the Senate"

Finished K4 4 months 2 weeks ago #72267

• Vechaljian
  • Elite Member
Execute66 wrote:
Mine is on the way. On the heat sink: are you comfortable with using the emitter as its own heat sink? (Or have I mis-read your post)? I also want the LEDs to be right up there, not beneath the thin-neck for maximum brightness.

Beautiful!
Yes I'm very comfortable with the LED sitting in the emitter and the emitter being the heatsink, I actually let it run for about 20 mins just to see how hot it gets and its warm but seams to release heat quite well. Only thing I did extra was put a 7/8 snap ring over the led lens to hold it down, over kill perhaps but I didn't want any reason for the led coming loose. I have a commission to finish this week, and I'm onto my Mpp 2.0 next week, and I bought a DM1 kit Ive gotta figure out how to get then lines painted in...and how to set switches in it.

also like to note you need the Center hole in the led to run the wires down if you want attach it directly to the emitter, its why I didn't use the Z6 I planned on or the X4 I also thought about and just went with the standard xp-e2
The following user(s) said Thank You: Execute66

Finished K4 4 months 2 weeks ago #72268

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
Vechaljian wrote:
Execute66 wrote:

Beautiful!
Yes I'm very comfortable with the LED sitting in the emitter and the emitter being the heatsink, I actually let it run for about 20 mins just to see how hot it gets and its warm but seams to release heat quite well. Only thing I did extra was put a 7/8 snap ring over the led lens to hold it down, over kill perhaps but I didn't want any reason for the led coming loose. I have a commission to finish this week, and I'm onto my Mpp 2.0 next week, and I bought a DM1 kit Ive gotta figure out how to get then lines painted in...and how to set switches in it.

Ha, we've got almost the same personal build list. Have my eyes on an MPP after this K4 too.

Finished K4 4 months 2 weeks ago #72269

• Vechaljian
  • Elite Member
Jas-Ot wrote:
Vechaljian wrote:
Execute66 wrote:

Beautiful!

Ha, we've got almost the same personal build list. Have my eyes on an MPP after this K4 too.
i'll have pictures of that up in a few weeks, I'm planning on doing 2x28mm speakers with a maxi amp on that but with bass, I want to see how loud it is, and its by far my dream hilt, I was very very happy when I found out it comes with the long grips, I have a re-done MR vader with the short grips, but have always wanted it with the long :D and then I was able to grab up a Dm1 hilt too, I am a Happy man .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Execute66

Finished K4 4 months 2 weeks ago #72270

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
Thanks, great advice!

I've got coming the K4, MPP and the DV6. :)
"I am the Senate"
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

• The Wait Begins 4.0 (744 Posts)
    • Thanks. I've been contemplating buying some ASP parts, that gives me an idea of how fast they could...
    • Trades (1 Posts)
    • So does anybody actually like to trade than buy sabers?
    • Saberforge DIY parts (5 Posts)
    • 6061 series aliminum, we drew it on AutoCad and then we had a company in China make it. Grips and...
    • Saberforge Prodigal Son (2 Posts)
    • 1. Yes, but for anything more than "just gets brighter on clash", you'd need to use a mixed or...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5269
  • Latest Member: RonnieHag
  • Total Posts: 56.2k
  • Total Topics: 4696
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119
  • Today Open: 3
  • Yesterday Open: 0
  • Today Answer: 10
  • Yesterday Answer: 15