Threaded Indented
  • Page:

TOPIC: Finished K4

Finished K4 4 months 2 weeks ago #72271

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 266
Yeah,

A screen accurate Vader has been high on my list for a while ( I almost bought a black series a couple weeks ago). Goal is to get all 3 ANH hilts done by year end. K4 kicks it off, the MPP 2.0 and then likely a Roman Props "flashgun 4" to round things out.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Finished K4 4 months 2 weeks ago #72272

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 505
Jas-Ot wrote:
Yeah,

A screen accurate Vader has been high on my list for a while ( I almost bought a black series a couple weeks ago). Goal is to get all 3 ANH hilts done by year end. K4 kicks it off, the MPP 2.0 and then likely a Roman Props "flashgun 4" to round things out.

Yeah, exactly right. We have the same objectives! :)

I received my Vader's Vault Flex ANH version, which is a Korbanth Graflex with VV's install / tweaks. It's pretty damn close. But the Roman Props is pretty darn close too.

If anything, collecting screen accurate, fully installed one-color only LED ANH hilts is what a true fan should do! :P :lol:
"I am the Senate"

Finished K4 4 months 2 weeks ago #72273

• Vechaljian
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 129
I also forgot to mention on my Build list that I used fine steel wool to remove the overly black finish that comes on the emitter finisher, it did the trick, making look like its been heated up with out completely taking it to silver.

Finished K4 4 months 2 weeks ago #72282

• Andi-Jae EL
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 144
If Korbanth and others can get the LED to sit in the emitter, I wonder if SF can eventually follow suit on their thin necks to increase brightness? I would like to see that transition at some point. Making the heatsink inside the emitter makes sense for their thin necks and with a little ingenuity they could pull it off.

Great build. I've always loved Obi's from ANH. Thanks for all the tips.
- Light em up

Finished K4 4 months 2 weeks ago #72284

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
Andi-Jae EL wrote:
If Korbanth and others can get the LED to sit in the emitter, I wonder if SF can eventually follow suit on their thin necks to increase brightness? I would like to see that transition at some point. Making the heatsink inside the emitter makes sense for their thin necks and with a little ingenuity they could pull it off.

Great build. I've always loved Obi's from ANH. Thanks for all the tips.

One key difference with Korbanth: it isn't designed for dueling. That's fine with me, I don't duel anyway. If you want a thin-neck that looks the part, the challenge is the blade's insertion depth for dueling.
"I am the Senate"

Finished K4 4 months 2 weeks ago #72288

• Andi-Jae EL
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 144
Execute66 wrote:

One key difference with Korbanth: it isn't designed for dueling. That's fine with me, I don't duel anyway. If you want a thin-neck that looks the part, the challenge is the blade's insertion depth for dueling.

You're right about Korbanth's K4, but there are other examples of thin necks where the emitter houses the LED and it is duel worthy. SH V2, KR sabers Hero, VV Hero (with the extension) (I have 2 of those and probably wouldn't duel with those anyway but they have the capability). I'm sure there are others I'm missing. Are Roman's MK1 and Inception made for dueling? Just a thought that a redesign could help make SF's thin-necks brighter while keeping them duel worthy.
- Light em up

Finished K4 4 months 2 weeks ago #72290

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
There's two kinds of sabers IMO. Dueling, and show pieces. Not to say a dueling saber can't look nice, but I wouldn't expect it to be screen accurate.

The K4 for me is a show piece and cosplay saber. And the same goes for most of the $200+ empty hilts out there.
Last Edit: 4 months 2 weeks ago by Jas-Ot.

Finished K4 4 months 2 weeks ago #72291

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
Andi-Jae EL wrote:
Execute66 wrote:

You're right about Korbanth's K4, but there are other examples of thin necks where the emitter houses the LED and it is duel worthy. SH V2, KR sabers Hero, VV Hero (with the extension) (I have 2 of those and probably wouldn't duel with those anyway but they have the capability). I'm sure there are others I'm missing. Are Roman's MK1 and Inception made for dueling? Just a thought that a redesign could help make SF's thin-necks brighter while keeping them duel worthy.

Roman's MK1 isn't designed for dueling either. It looks the part 100%. As for VV Hero (mine is in production), I chose the option whereby the emitter is elongated a little for extra blade insertion depth designed for dueling (I don't duel, but I chose this anyway for rigidity) and so is less accurate in looks.

Either way, the Korbanth K4 and the Roman Props MK1 look way too darn good for it to be bashed around and scuffed around. For that, buy a Saberforge. :)
"I am the Senate"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andi-Jae EL

Finished K4 4 months 2 weeks ago #72309

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 608
All this talk of Romans Graflex, I'll just give a warning that the flash is basically a modified 2.0 and needs a 2.0 bladeholder. Vintage won't fit.

I'm personally fine with modding 2.0s, but if I wanted to do another vintage-style build, I'd probably look at the TGS flash.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jas-Ot

Finished K4 4 months 2 weeks ago #72320

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
Good to know.
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Saberforge Prodigal Son (2 Posts)
    • 1. Yes, but for anything more than "just gets brighter on clash", you'd need to use a mixed or...
    • The Wait Begins 4.0 (743 Posts)
    • Quote: Quote: One my my sabers just shipped. Ordered on 6/8 and shipped 6/27. That's pretty darn fast! Just...
    • Saberforge DIY parts (4 Posts)
    • I like it. Without all of those knobs and stuff hanging off of it, it's bound to be more...
    • Saberforge DIY parts (4 Posts)
    • Here is another pic, just because the fake switch box wasnt showing, lol...[image]

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5269
  • Latest Member: RonnieHag
  • Total Posts: 56.2k
  • Total Topics: 4695
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119
  • Today Open: 2
  • Yesterday Open: 0
  • Today Answer: 7
  • Yesterday Answer: 15