Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Electrum Sabercrafts Aegis - review

Electrum Sabercrafts Aegis - review 6 months 3 weeks ago #80396

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 543
It has arrived! Electrum Sabercrafts Aegis, blackout version with copper struts (and extra gunmetal set), and the new Ion switch with red/amber/red backlit. :woohoo:

Initial impression: Very lightweight and nicely sized. Quite comparable to a VV Combat Class or SF Apprentice in terms of proportions. The switch is awesome, the speakers are loud, and the chassis is rock solid. It's just as bright as any of my other RGB sabers. USB charging is a great plus, especially for travel (can just use your regular phone charger). The motion sensitivity is great, though I'm still tweaking it to my personal tastes. The convenience of the mobile app for changing settings cannot be praised highly enough. The touch switch takes a little getting used to, but it's really nice once you do so. I actually really like the slide-on pommel that's secured by a set screw; I have to tighten my screw-on pommels quite frequently while dueling or open-carrying and have had a couple straight up fall off (looking at you, VV REV-N).

As for the hilt itself (Aegis), it's totally BAD ASS. Very aggressive looking with a nice "industrial" feel to it with the struts. I'm a sucker for emitter windows, which thankfully all of Electrum's sabers have. :) I may pick up a set of red struts at some point.

As with every vendor, there are a some cons. In my opinion, they're relatively minor to the overall saber experience (being mostly cosmetic or superficial) but still need to be said.
  1. The silver choke areas and the struts have fine lines left from the machining; while nicely shiny, it's not a PERFECTLY smooth finish (I noticed similar on my VV Ardent Elite, actually).
  2. Mine has a small scratch in the black finish by the switch area; doesn't bother me much since it's going to get many more from open-carry anyway.
  3. The speakers they use do not have very strong bass to them (they are quite loud though). I think they're cell phone speakers?
  4. They use what looks to be a familiar x4 LED under a single-die lens, and suffers from the same base flare and uneven color mixing.
  5. The auto lockup is neat, but tends to trigger when I don't want it too and doesn't turn off until the whole sound file is played through; I disabled it and just use it manually (hold top switch).
  6. Going into "blaster mode" is cool, with it being activated from swinging the saber, but a little more awkward to use compared to PL/NEC where you just press the button and it makes the sound.
  7. They offered a Covertec install for the first time with this hilt, and the placement is a bit in the way on this model. It's almost in the middle of the lower grip; I'll probably remove one of the pommel struts and put it there.

Overall, I'd give this saber and Electrum a solid 8/10. They "do it different", and while there's room for improvement.... I like what I see so far.

I'll take some more pics later and dump them into the Reserved post and my Flickr.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brax, Dauntless 7, Execute66, Greysider, OvrcAHst, scifidude79

Electrum Sabercrafts Aegis - review 6 months 3 weeks ago #80397

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
PICS

Here it is with the gunmetal struts:

Last Edit: 6 months 3 weeks ago by KelbornX.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dauntless 7, Execute66, OvrcAHst, scifidude79

Electrum Sabercrafts Aegis - review 6 months 3 weeks ago #80431

• scifidude79
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 365
Great review, dude. This is the best looking model they offer, in my opinion. I like the black with the colored struts. I really like the copper and I'd love to see the saber with the gunmetal set on it, since that's the color I'm likely to get. I like your choices for the switch, that looks great with the hilt.

Personally, I'd like it if more companies started doing the Android app thing for their sabers, since Android is the #1 operating system on the planet. (in terms of market share, nobody else is close) One thing that irks me with a lot of saber boards is the dependence on Windows software. I don't run and have absolutely no desire to run Windows, but I have a smartphone. Just saying.
Last Edit: 6 months 3 weeks ago by scifidude79.

Electrum Sabercrafts Aegis - review 6 months 3 weeks ago #80432

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
For sure... I did a little *gasp* when they revealed this one. I like the Torrent with the gold accents or plain and weathered as well.... it looks a little "hokey" with the red and shiny black accents imo.

Threw the gunmetal struts on to see how it looked, pics in the former -reserved- post above. I like them... but I think they'd look better on the silver version of the hilt. The copper ones just "pop" more against the black. Probably going to put this set up for trade in the FB groups and see if anyone wants to get rid of their crimson or cobalt set.

The app is really nice for changing settings. You still need a PC to load fonts onto the SD card, though you can get around that by just buying extra ones when you order the saber (board holds up to 8 ). One of those Linux die-hards, eh? ;)
Last Edit: 6 months 3 weeks ago by KelbornX.

Electrum Sabercrafts Aegis - review 6 months 3 weeks ago #80434

• scifidude79
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 365
Hm, that does change my views on the saber a bit. I'd thought with a black body that the gunmetal would be different enough in color to pop a bit more, but it sort of blends in. I may not get that combination after all. Thanks a lot for the pics. B)

The Torrent was my favorite of theirs and I still like it, but it's not screaming "buy me" like the Aegis is. ;)

KelbornX wrote:
One of those Linux die-hards, eh? ;)

Oh yeah, for life. I can't go back to Windows and Apple has never appealed to me.

Electrum Sabercrafts Aegis - review 6 months 3 weeks ago #80438

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 746
Sweet!

Electrum Sabercrafts Aegis - review 6 months 3 weeks ago #80471

• CrimsonJax88
  • Platinum Member
  • Dutch guy living in Norway!
  • Thank you received: 186
Awesome, this is indeed - as many have said - one of their best designs; the Errant has a cool edge to it, but seems to bulky and the Torrent is just a bit too mainstream, but this one; damn if that ain't an awesome look :woohoo:
Especially like the colour scheme you've chosen, it rules :cheer:
For my ally is the Force - and a powerful ally it is!

Electrum Sabercrafts Aegis - review 6 months 3 weeks ago #80491

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
Thanks! I actually asked them to put the copper on a blackout hilt in one of their teaser posts before I ordered. Was going to to the red/black that the one promo image shows until I saw this. It took me all of 5 seconds after seeing the reveal to decide to order LOL.

It definitely has it's quirks, but all boards do. I'm not at all fond of the "blaster mode". I guess I'm just too used to Plecter/NEC and just being able to hit the button and have a blaster sound. The lockup color is also MUCH dimmer than the FoC color. I set a Rebels Ahsoka profile with a White blade and Lime FoC, and you can barely see the lockup over the base blade color. It's not as apparent when you're doing a primary color with White set for FoC though.

Electrum Sabercrafts Aegis - review 6 months 2 weeks ago #80794

• Darth Squidious
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 282
Just got mine in today. Can't get it to load my sound fonts though. Any tips?
RELEASE THE KRAKEN!

Electrum Sabercrafts Aegis - review 6 months 2 weeks ago #80801

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
Idiot question: did you read the manual? (specifically pg3) It's a pretty simple process... just has a few steps that if you forget will totally mess things up.

First, toggle the sleep switch by the recharge port to OFF. If you don't do this before you remove the SD card, you will screw the saber up and need to perform a Hard Reset as detailed in the manual. Totally not speaking from personal experience.

Second, make sure you have Plecter fonts. Get rid of any sub folders in the soundfont folder and non audio files; readme.txt is fine.

Thrid, make sure the FOLDER name has no special characters. So if you have "Ranger's Blade", change it to "RangersBlade". You may need to rename the font folder entirely, since some of them are obnoxious like "TheOldMaster_KS_CF8" that I changed to "Yoda".

Fourth, just drop the folder onto the SD card. No formatting necessary. After sticking the card back in the saber, toggle the sleep switch back to ON.

The saber will read the folders in the order that they were added to the card.

Electrum Sabercrafts Aegis - review 6 months 2 weeks ago #80809

• Darth Squidious
  • Platinum Member
Yeah, did all that.

I'm gonna start over and see if that does it.
RELEASE THE KRAKEN!

Electrum Sabercrafts Aegis - review 6 months 1 week ago #80812

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
Are you not able to cycle to the new fonts, or does it totally bug out? If the former you may just need to cycle the sleep switch again. If the latter, you'd need to do the hard reset. Might wanna toss them a PM on FB if it still doesn't work.

Electrum Sabercrafts Aegis - review 6 months 1 week ago #80813

• Darth Squidious
  • Platinum Member
It won't cycle.

I'm gonna clear the card out and recopy them if that doesn't work then I'll shoot them a message.
RELEASE THE KRAKEN!

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Saber Forge Forum Shuttin... (40 Posts)
    • Quote: Quote: I understand about reluctance to dive into social media, especially give what has happened over the...
    • Saber Forge Forum Shuttin... (40 Posts)
    • Quote: I understand about reluctance to dive into social media, especially give what has happened over the...
    • Sabercore 3.0 (25 Posts)
    • Still in limbo bud no matter what I do it won't register am getting a little message in the right...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6835
  • Latest Member: ValkyrieGondul
  • Total Posts: 69.3k
  • Total Topics: 5831
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 145
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 5
  • Today Answer: 13
  • Yesterday Answer: 68