Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Ultrasabers Dorinian

Ultrasabers Dorinian 1 week 5 days ago #89485

• Raakallaht
  • Thank you received: 18
It seems that Ultrasabers has released a new saber. They are calling it the Dorinian, presumably a nod to the Kel-Dor Jedi who wielded it in the Prequel Trilogy. They seem to have done a nice job with it although as we all know just giving buyers an option of silver, black, blue or red finishes doesn't come close to the endless possibilities of a Saber Forge saber.

Arguably Plo Koon and Kit Fisto are the most popular Clone Wars era Jedi and it is nice to see 1 of the 2 best companies in the business offering at least one of their sabers for purchase. Personally I am more of a fan of Kit Fisto and would love to see SF design his saber. Let's all send out positive waves and hope that they are the ones to develop the saber of Kit Fisto.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Ultrasabers Dorinian 1 week 5 days ago #89488

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 539
There's been a few runs of the Fisto hilt over the years, but no one offering it right now. I think Vaapad Saber Armory might be doing a run soon (may be thinking of someone else though) It would be nice if SF came out with a few more "clan saber" designs as they're always popular pieces. Too bad the Vigilant (Ki-Adi-Mundi) was Etsy only as a complete saber and the ASP emitter is on pre-order. I just ordered an empty Adamant (kind of a mashup of the Shaak Ti and Barris Offee hilts) to play around with and do things to lol.

Regarding the Dorinian... I'm not impressed. It seems like US can't do anything but make sabers that look like toys. Those wide and shallow grooves coupled with those being the 'shiny" parts (rather than the accented areas) definitely leads to the "toy-like" feel of their stuff. I had a Dominix v3 LE in a grab bag with those same silver grooves and it just looked cheap. The pommel is smooshed compared to what it's supposed to look like. The giant 16mm switch stuck in the middle of the grip section totally kills the look of the saber.

If you want a better Plo Koon / Luminara Unduli saber, check out JQ Sabers and KR Sabers. They've each had runs recently. KR has empty hilt kits while JQ has installed versions (one installed Luminara left). Much better quality and far more accurate.

I bought a JQ Plo Koon about this time last year, installed with a Crystal Shard 3.0 board. Activation is the red button and aux is one of the LED bezels. It's a really nice piece and a bit sad that I have it up for sale; it really just sat on a shelf unfortunately. A bit too heavy for a cosplay belt-hanger and too many greeblies for a dueling saber. If/when that sells I may get the KR version and have it installed with a Crystal Focus.

Here's the KR version, and what that saber is supposed to look like.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Raakallaht

Ultrasabers Dorinian 1 week 5 days ago #89490

• Raakallaht
I really like the look of some of the Ultra Sabers stuff. I just feel like they don't understand that what they count as customization options is minimal at best. They have nothing comparable to ASP and they have a combination of 3 and 4 piece sabers. It is nearly impossible to build the combination you want that way. They don't even offer switch sections at all. Unless you are building a collection of movie replicas it is nice to be able to make the saber your own. At the end of the day I just hope their offering inspires SF to offer up some of the CW hilts.

Ultrasabers Dorinian 1 week 5 days ago #89494

• scifidude79
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 364
Ultrasabers' thing is cheap and fast. That's by no means an insult, I have quite a few US sabers in my collection, it's just a fact. They've built a business reputation around their turnaround times, which are the fastest out there for sabers with any level of customization. They were even bragging about it around the holidays/TLJ being in theaters. However, that time comes at a price. Since they ship so fast, you don't get much more than a few basic options, basically parts that can be installed very quickly to "customize" your hilt, such as those buttons that you can get in a different color on the Dorinian. If they add a bunch of extra customization options, that takes away from that speed. That speed and their prices for their low end stuff is what keeps them going.

Saberforge is more on the opposite end as far as customization. I've never seen as many different hilt finishes and LED colors as SF has. Also, with the addition of the Veteran boards, I think they may have more sound options than everyone else too. And, they don't take as long as some of their competition to get orders out the door, and their prices are reasonable. So, SF has managed to find a middle ground between options and speed while still staying in the lower end as far as prices.

Personally, I like the Dorinian. However, evidence points to a Plo Koon hilt possibly coming from Saberforge. If you've seen the ASP Wave 2 Renders thread, you know the parts are there to build one. Not only will that be an option, but I'm wondering if they're going to add an Elite Plo Koon hilt also. It's something to consider before deciding which to buy. I love that KR Sabers one that KelbornX posted a photo of, but I don't love the price you pay for that level of accuracy.

Ultrasabers Dorinian 1 week 5 days ago #89498

• Raakallaht
Apparently I need to have another look at the ASP Wave 2 Renders. I didn't realize the options will likely already be there. Assuming of course that all of those ASP parts make the final cut.

Ultrasabers Dorinian 1 week 5 days ago #89501

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
In the renders I see Plo Koon, TCW Ahsoka main hand, and Kyle Katarn.

Ultrasabers Dorinian 1 week 5 days ago #89504

• Raakallaht
I just took another look against my better judgement KelbornX. I say that because it only makes me anxious for SF to update ASP, the builder, possibly release new Elite Sabers, etc. The anticipation of it all is killing me. I just hope that the longest we will have to wait is everyone's favorite Star Wars day. May the Fourth be With You.

Ultrasabers Dorinian 1 week 5 days ago #89510

• scifidude79
  • Platinum Member
May 4 is the plan. Though, I'm willing to wait as long as it takes for them to get it right. Rushing things tends to not go so well.

Anyway, a Thomas Snyder render of the ASP Plo Koon:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Rhyno

Ultrasabers Dorinian 1 week 5 days ago #89517

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
I don't like the switch holes in the grip there either... but at least they're 12mm and recessed and not 16mm sticking out on a bezel lol.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eddlyss64

Ultrasabers Dorinian 1 week 5 days ago #89518

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
  • "There is no death, there is the Force...no one's ever really gone."
  • Thank you received: 294
Would it be the worst idea to have the switches be tactile, and really subtle on the ribbed grip? Besides the fact that doing an install would be made a bit difficult..

Xiphos, Eris, Oracle Shoto

Ultrasabers Dorinian 1 week 5 days ago #89519

• wamphyri13
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 108
KelbornX wrote:
Regarding the Dorinian... I'm not impressed. It seems like US can't do anything but make sabers that look like toys. Those wide and shallow grooves coupled with those being the 'shiny" parts (rather than the accented areas) definitely leads to the "toy-like" feel of their stuff. I had a Dominix v3 LE in a grab bag with those same silver grooves and it just looked cheap. The pommel is smooshed compared to what it's supposed to look like.

Actually, the US looks kind of like a specific type of toy. One that bears the name Hitachi. ;)
"Hold on to 16 as long as you can, changes come around real soon make us women and men." - John Mellencamp

Ultrasabers Dorinian 1 week 5 days ago #89521

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
Eddlyss64 wrote:
Would it be the worst idea to have the switches be tactile, and really subtle on the ribbed grip? Besides the fact that doing an install would be made a bit difficult..

You could. There's a couple people selling tactile switches mounted into the SF dummy covers. One Replicas on Etsy is also selling some low-profile 12mm tactile AV switches in a few anodized colors. You can find those on eBay as well, but with month long shipping from China lol.

wamphyri13 wrote:
Actually, the US looks kind of like a specific type of toy. One that bears the name Hitachi. ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eddlyss64

Ultrasabers Dorinian 1 week 5 days ago #89522

• Dauntless 7
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 131
I really wanted to like US version of this saber but am struggling. For those that have MHS adaptable sabers... both the emitter and pommel would make for good modifications on quite a few sabers including their Menace which is quite popular.

This is US typical design style and other than hiring new talent to take the sabers a different direction... they have succeeded in their goal of coming up with a new saber. Even SF has adapted similar saber styles... but I have yet to see one that reminds me of a shiny toy. I'm sure there will be lot's of folks that will find it appealing in any of the colors and hope that if they do purchase the D that they will thoroughly enjoy this saber. :)

Ultrasabers Dorinian 1 week 4 days ago #89525

• scifidude79
  • Platinum Member
KelbornX wrote:
I don't like the switch holes in the grip there either... but at least they're 12mm and recessed and not 16mm sticking out on a bezel lol.

Yeah, I'm not fond of switches in ribbed grip sections at all. The problem is, in order to put them where they should go, a different electronics package with micro switches would be needed, and that won't work with ASP.

Ultrasabers Dorinian 1 week 4 days ago #89539

• Rapine
  • Premium Member
  • Almost spring...oh wait...
  • Thank you received: 82
Meh - I'd take a Dorinian. If for no other reasons than price point, lead time, and MHS compatibility.

I've never personally been huge into the clan hilts myself, so accuracy wouldn't really affect me there.

Yes, I'd definitely get it with a 12mm switch hole, and counter sink it though...lol
The following user(s) said Thank You: scifidude79

Ultrasabers Dorinian 1 week 4 days ago #89541

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
  • "There is no death, there is the Force...no one's ever really gone."
  • Thank you received: 294
Agreement with Rapine. Now that I'm actually looking at it, it doesn't look quite as toylike as, say, the US 'Graflex.' And honestly, I'm not a big clam saber guy either, so the inaccuracies probably wouldn't bother me.

But it's a result of my indifference about the clan hilts to begin with that would keep me from getting one, honestly... :dry: I was just curious about the low profile tactile switch thing.

Xiphos, Eris, Oracle Shoto

Ultrasabers Dorinian 1 week 4 days ago #89542

• scifidude79
  • Platinum Member
I like the clan sabers myself, very cool. I'm not hung up on accuracy, though. So, I may get one, or see how Saberforge's ASP offering looks. From the render, it looks pretty tight. (or get both)

Ultrasabers Dorinian 1 week 3 days ago #89595

• Raakallaht
Call me crazy, naive, whatever. What is a clan saber? I keep seeing that term used, and just when I think I know stuff. Terms like this make me realize what I don't know. :unsure:

Ultrasabers Dorinian 1 week 3 days ago #89596

• For Tyeth
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1087
Hi Raakalaht,

You're not crazy, it's a good question. The answer is a Clan sabers are sabers such as the ones carried by Luminara Unduli, Plo Koon, Kit Fisto, Shaak-Ti and certain other Jedi which originate from the different Jedi academies around the galaxy. A Jedi academy or "Clan" would have a model of lightsaber they would use and it would be like the trademark or symbol of their Temple.

The hilts were usually more basic generic looking but some users would slightly modify their hilts so we get the ones like Plo-Koon's and Unduli's etc. The hilts were basic so they could be made quickly in bulk when the great wars took place.

Here is a picture of a few of the Clan hilts:

But due to the EU and Prequels etc Clan hilts became more well known and popular.
Hope this helps,

For Tyeth
Last Edit: 1 week 3 days ago by For Tyeth.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scifidude79, Raakallaht

Ultrasabers Dorinian 1 week 3 days ago #89598

• Raakallaht
For Tyeth wrote:
Hi Raakalaht,

You're not crazy, it's a good question. The answer is a Clan sabers are sabers such as the ones carried by Luminara Unduli, Plo Koon, Kit Fisto, Shaak-Ti and certain other Jedi which originate from the different Jedi academies around the galaxy. A Jedi academy or "Clan" would have a model of lightsaber they would use and it would be like the trademark or symbol of their Temple.

The hilts were usually more basic generic looking but some users would slightly modify their hilts so we get the ones like Plo-Koon's and Unduli's etc. The hilts were basic so they could be made quickly in bulk when the great wars took place.

Here is a picture of a few of the Clan hilts:

But due to the EU and Prequels etc Clan hilts became more well known and popular.
Hope this helps,

For Tyeth

This helps a ton For Tyeth. It also gives backstory to why the Clone Wars Era Sabers are so similar I suppose. The saber for Kit Fisto is still the best of the lot IMO. He is also the coolest Jedi of the bunch. Shaak Ti would be a close second for me I suppose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: For Tyeth
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Shipped! Saberforge Legac... (1 Posts)
    • Today I got an email from Saberforge that my Legacy Monarch has shipped! After eleven months of lead...
    • Saber Selfies (307 Posts)
    • Really channeling the dark side with this one! [attachment] Like I said on my DST post,...
    • Pink Dual Tone Talon (12 Posts)
    • Quote: So how did you get the silver emitter prongs? Did they charge you for it? No extra charge. I...
    • Dark Side Trophy (Highly ... (1 Posts)
    • While working on other projects during the week as I painstakingly make my way toward my next chunk...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6835
  • Latest Member: ValkyrieGondul
  • Total Posts: 69.1k
  • Total Topics: 5825
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 145
  • Today Open: 2
  • Yesterday Open: 4
  • Today Answer: 7
  • Yesterday Answer: 31