Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Some love for Luke's ESB hilt

Some love for Luke's ESB hilt 1 year 2 months ago #9622

• JediRabbi
  • Thank you received: 2
Apologies if this is a redundant thread - I tried to post these pics twice already without any luck. :unsure:

After watching the second trailer, I felt like honoring one of the most elegant (and classic) sabers out there - Luke's ESB saber. For me, this will always be the quintessential saber - I can't wait to see what they do with it in the new film (though Zahn used it brilliantly in his Thrawn trilogy).

I just took a few pics of my Parks ESB hilt - hope you enjoy! The last shot is one of my favorite shots with this saber from a year ago - my mother came out for a visit. As you can see, I come by my love of sabers honestly. My parents took me with them to see A New Hope while I was barely out of diapers. :P

Cheers!

Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you.
Last Edit: 5 days 11 hours ago by OvrcAHst.
The topic has been locked.

Some love for Luke's ESB hilt 1 year 2 months ago #9627

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 731
I agree that the ANH/ESB hilt is the quintessential saber design, right along side the ROTJ Luke model. The problem is that the graflex hilt designs tend to be a tad bit less practical when it comes to dueling. The shortness of the hilt, combined with the activation box make it difficult to get a good two-handed grip that you can maintain with any comfort. It will always be my sentimental favorite, for dueling, I prefer sabers like The Exhalted, The Venomous Fury, The Silver Knight, or The Gladius.

Of course, all of the preceding is just my .02 of a dollars worth. B)
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....

Some love for Luke's ESB hilt 1 year 2 months ago #9628

• NeBosa
  • Platinum Member
  • Do no harm, but take no shit.
  • Thank you received: 271
Probably my all time fave.
I'd like to see a SF do a version of it. More sleek and modern. But keep all the styling ques and stay true to the design, just make it more user friendly for dueling and weilding like low profile grips and switch box. Don't copy it, but pay homage to it.

Some love for Luke's ESB hilt 1 year 2 months ago #9631

• Brax
  • Administrator
I believe they will with this one when it is released.

Last Edit: 9 months 1 week ago by Brax.

Some love for Luke's ESB hilt 1 year 2 months ago #9638

• JediRabbi
Cigam Kin wrote:
Probably my all time fave.
I'd like to see a SF do a version of it. More sleek and modern. But keep all the styling ques and stay true to the design, just make it more user friendly for dueling and weilding like low profile grips and switch box. Don't copy it, but pay homage to it.

I'm right with you (and also with Brax's comment). One of the things that I love about the Exhalted design is how is directly references canonical saber design but makes the hilt more practical for actual use. I can't say that the activation box was ever a real fave for me...

Random thought: as fingerprint tech gets more advanced, wouldn't it be cool to be able to lock a saber's activation to a particular user?
Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you.
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by JediRabbi. Reason: Sloppy typing

Some love for Luke's ESB hilt 1 year 2 months ago #9639

• JediRabbi
Brax wrote:
I believe they will with this one when it is released.

VERY sweet. Again - a nice balance between a recognizable model and practical considerations.

Some love for Luke's ESB hilt 1 year 2 months ago #9649

• NeBosa
  • Platinum Member
The Vanguard is more like Vaders saber but with a polished instead of black emitter rather than Lukes graflex in ANH and ESB. Lukes has "bunny ears" more like the Monarch on the emitter end with some other details.

Some love for Luke's ESB hilt 1 year 2 months ago #9652

• Brax
  • Administrator
Granted, not a detail for detail reproduction, but that is not what SF, US, VV, EZ, or most other folks in the business are going for. Otherwise, they would be classified as a "replica". Then there would be legalities, and royalties to be paid, which translates to higher costs for everybody.

I will take one that is "inspired by", with most of the features that make a design compelling to me, any day of the week and be perfectly content with it. B)

Some love for Luke's ESB hilt 1 year 2 months ago #9653

• NeBosa
  • Platinum Member
Hence why I said a modern version to pay homage to it. Not a replica, as they are 2 different sabers (the luke and vader). Which is why I stated I'd love to see SF do a version of Lukes as their version of Anakin/Vader is already set as a future release. ;)

Some love for Luke's ESB hilt 9 months 1 week ago #20589

• ODog2323
Hmm this thread may have inspired me to go looking for an ESB Graflex, or a kit/project of some kind. That'd be fun!
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Rogue One Trailer (7 Posts)
    • I'm watching the ABC feature; not sure there is a new trailer; they just showed the video that's...
    • The Wait Begins 4.0 (121 Posts)
    • Well my wait began and ended and began again. 2 of my 3 sabers had issues and I talked to CS and so...
    • DIY Sound Board Breakdown... (109 Posts)
    • HotRod, in any way your info was misleading. Its about gathering enough information in order to make...
    • SF Quad Cree Mixing Combi... (69 Posts)
    • Quote: If you want to use lots of day blades, I'd say to just get a white LED. True. And if I got an empty...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 4370
  • Latest Member: TheWinterWild
  • Total Posts: 43.1k
  • Total Topics: 3139
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 104
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 4
  • Today Answer: 2
  • Yesterday Answer: 43